Match Maker?

43 replies to this topic

#1 Goggles Paesano

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 August 2023 - 02:12 PM

The internet is buzzing with word that the creator of the extremely popular dance hit, "The Cha Cha Slide" has died.

I'm confused, I always thought it was the MWO Match Maker that created this song.

Ya know,

One Stomp This Time
Two Stomps This Time
Three Stomps This Time
Stomp To The Left
Stomp To The Right
Gonna Tier 5 Stomp All Night!

Seriously though, how sad is the MM in this game?

Edited by Goggles Paesano, 09 August 2023 - 02:13 PM.

#2 Kotis77

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel
  • Star Colonel
  • 253 posts

Posted 09 August 2023 - 08:24 PM

its fine, theres nothing that can be done to it. its population problem, just keep playing

edit* /s

Edited by Kotis77, 10 August 2023 - 08:57 AM.

#3 VeeOt Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,212 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 09 August 2023 - 11:55 PM

pretty much. anything that can be done to make it better would just be undone by the low population causing it to lift the restrictions.

#4 Thiccacuga

• PipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 92 posts

Posted 10 August 2023 - 08:21 AM

View PostGoggles Paesano, on 09 August 2023 - 02:12 PM, said:

The internet is buzzing with word that the creator of the extremely popular dance hit, "The Cha Cha Slide" has died.

I'm confused, I always thought it was the MWO Match Maker that created this song.

Ya know,

One Stomp This Time
Two Stomps This Time
Three Stomps This Time
Stomp To The Left
Stomp To The Right

It's trash. Worse than years ago when there were more people. Now all that's left are Mech Dads and NASCAR addicted QP morons.

Game's dead just go to another game tbh.

#5 crazytimes

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 10 August 2023 - 08:38 AM

Matchmaker can't make up people playing like potatoes in bad builds and deliberately dropping minimum weight groups.

Take control of your own destiny and worry about your own builds and play style. Be amazed.

#6 Mechwarrior2342356

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 10 August 2023 - 09:34 AM

Saw 2 Victors running RL10s, Medium Lasers and LMGs last night.

These were not T5s.

#7 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,677 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 10 August 2023 - 01:20 PM

View PostGoggles Paesano, on 09 August 2023 - 02:12 PM, said:

Ya know,

One Stomp This Time
Two Stomps This Time
Three Stomps This Time
Stomp To The Left
Stomp To The Right

Good one. I laughed. Eve-ry-bo-dy Clap your ACs! plinkplinkplinkplinkplinkplinkplinkplinkplinkplinkplinkplinkplinkplinkplinkplinkplinkplink

#8 Goggles Paesano

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 53 posts

Posted 10 August 2023 - 01:30 PM

View Postcrazytimes, on 10 August 2023 - 08:38 AM, said:

Matchmaker can't make up people playing like potatoes in bad builds and deliberately dropping minimum weight groups.

Take control of your own destiny and worry about your own builds and play style. Be amazed.

Yeah it can... how about it doesn't put the twelve worst players on one side and instead spread them equally between the two teams? Logic says that if it was doing this, there wouldn't be as many stomps. Just Sayin'

This isn't even addressing the growing opinion(not me, of course) that the stomps are intentional.

#9 Goggles Paesano

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 53 posts

Posted 10 August 2023 - 01:57 PM

It would seem that there are two camps... The side that, somehow, keeps getting on the right side of the stomps says everything is fine and the other side is over here like an abused pet wondering why PETA or the ASPCA isn't trying to help them.

For those of you who say it isn't happening, it is. Getting stomped 5 or 6 times in a row... it doesn't seem like the odds of that would compute.

And now for the next comment... "I'm a Super Stomper and I can tell you all you have to do is 'get good'". Well, if that aint about the stupidest thing I've heard in MWO history(right up there with, "There is no LRM problem" ... but thats a different topic).

"Get Good"(generally pronounced in a way that would make people think that you are mentally deficient) would imply that the stompings are all about one single individual on the team being stomped. Trust me, you could be the clone of Kai Allard Liao and you're still going to lose if you have 11 other guys you have to carry.

The individual can not be responsible for 11 others "getting good". Instead, why don't we spread around equally the guys who have all ready "gotten good"? Wouldn't that be the obvious fix to the problem(assuming PGI actually considered this a problem and was willing to fix it)?

#10 crazytimes

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 10 August 2023 - 02:07 PM

View PostGoggles Paesano, on 10 August 2023 - 01:30 PM, said:

Yeah it can... how about it doesn't put the twelve worst players on one side and instead spread them equally between the two teams? Logic says that if it was doing this, there wouldn't be as many stomps. Just Sayin'

This isn't even addressing the growing opinion(not me, of course) that the stomps are intentional.

Rigged matchmaking has been a theory about every online game ever. You are hardly breaking new terrritory.

At the same time as claiming "X company is incompetent and can't code a proper matchmaker", you also claim "X company has designed matchmaking code specifically to target me negatively".

Meanwhile, like I said, if you don't play like a potato in bad builds, MM seems to work just fine. I'm testing it on an alt account, it's nearly half way through tier 2 and will be 1 also soon enough. I could repeat the experiment for a larger data set, but at that point it would really just be seal clubbing.

#11 Mechwarrior2342356

• 2,130 posts

Posted 10 August 2023 - 02:27 PM

Hanlon's requires me to assume inability or incompetence, as suspicious as some matchups are. It cuts both ways. I get nothing out of ****-hammering F-Troop or being along for the stompride, and running face first into a wall of 90-99 percentiles feels like ****.

Edited by the check engine light, 10 August 2023 - 02:36 PM.

#12 VeeOt Dragon

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,212 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 10 August 2023 - 02:51 PM

it does happen though. i get some days where its one stomp after another with me on the losing team no matter how well i do personally. it seems rare that i am on the stomping side though it seems. honestly i wish they would ban alt accounts but the only real way to do that is to do one account per e-mail but then all they have to do is set up another e-mail if the T1s want to go seal clubbing (i know not all people do alts to club on the T5s but it feels that way).

so yeah the MM has been Borked since they merged the group drop with the QP. it was never perfect (you will never get a perfect MM because some things just can't be calculated) but you didn't get such constant stomps.

i think things would work better if the MM had a sort of second stage to it. (the first would be gathering 24 players within its parameters (so as close to whatever Tier as it can get) and then does the team sorting stuff.) you would still get wide Tier brackets due to low population but at least they would be distributed better.

then again i have no idea how the MM does its thing or what the order of operations is.

Edited by VeeOt Dragon, 10 August 2023 - 11:59 PM.

#13 Goggles Paesano

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 53 posts

Posted 10 August 2023 - 03:05 PM

View Postcrazytimes, on 10 August 2023 - 02:07 PM, said:

Rigged matchmaking has been a theory about every online game ever. You are hardly breaking new terrritory.

At the same time as claiming "X company is incompetent and can't code a proper matchmaker", you also claim "X company has designed matchmaking code specifically to target me negatively".

Meanwhile, like I said, if you don't play like a potato in bad builds, MM seems to work just fine. I'm testing it on an alt account, it's nearly half way through tier 2 and will be 1 also soon enough. I could repeat the experiment for a larger data set, but at that point it would really just be seal clubbing.

Again... let's say I take your advice and stop playing like a potato... what about the 11 other guys I've been teamed with? How do you explain the amount of stomps and also say that the MM is fair? You say you have done research? Show your work.

Lastly, its not me coming up with this. This is whats going through the community outside of the super group, whatever its called..

Edited by Goggles Paesano, 10 August 2023 - 03:08 PM.

#14 crazytimes

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 10 August 2023 - 06:18 PM

View PostGoggles Paesano, on 10 August 2023 - 03:05 PM, said:

Again... let's say I take your advice and stop playing like a potato... what about the 11 other guys I've been teamed with? How do you explain the amount of stomps and also say that the MM is fair? You say you have done research? Show your work.

Go look up on Jarls list "crazytimes IIC".

Turns out the other 11 people aren't that important, and I'm not even that good. The skill gap between the really good players and me is more than the gap between me and say... People that think the only reason they aren't doing well is absolutely everyone else's fault.

#15 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 10 August 2023 - 06:39 PM

View PostGoggles Paesano, on 10 August 2023 - 03:05 PM, said:

Again... let's say I take your advice and stop playing like a potato... what about the 11 other guys I've been teamed with?

If you stop playing like a potato, you will be on the losing end of very few stomps regardless of the other 23 players.

#16 VeeOt Dragon

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,212 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 11 August 2023 - 12:06 AM

its a team game so if your team does something stupid like scatter to the winds or nascar to death there is nothing one player can do to pull them out of it. i have had many a game where i am the top damage dealer with all the kills scored that match and still lost. (i am not saying i am the best player in the world, i am not. i'm average at best maybe a bit above on a good day. i like to say "if i am the top player on the team you done ****** up"). you can be the best player in the world or a great shot caller and if the rest of the team doesn't do their share you are still going to lose. hell you can even do well and still get that down arrow if you team sucked bad enough.

Edited by VeeOt Dragon, 11 August 2023 - 12:07 AM.

#17 Captain Caveman DE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Carnivore
  • The Carnivore
  • 519 posts

Posted 11 August 2023 - 01:21 AM

View Postcrazytimes, on 10 August 2023 - 06:18 PM, said:

Go look up on Jarls list "crazytimes IIC".

Turns out the other 11 people aren't that important, and I'm not even that good. The skill gap between the really good players and me is more than the gap between me and say... People that think the only reason they aren't doing well is absolutely everyone else's fault.

View Postsycocys, on 10 August 2023 - 06:39 PM, said:

If you stop playing like a potato, you will be on the losing end of very few stomps regardless of the other 23 players.

you both aren't wrong.
however, the other guy isn't, either.

we have to differentiate between "performing well, personally" and "having a match worth fighting (aka: good and close, to have fun).
yes, many of us know how to get a "green arrow up" regardless of the other 11 guys on our side, even regardless of the 23 others at all.
but:
just because 'we' perform regardless doesn't mean it's a good match, and here the matchmaker fails often; I played the beach event on this account, and helped my brother a bit on his, too.
I had quite a few fun matches. however, a VERY large amount of matches were NOT enjoyable - at all. teams cowering in fear, ending with a 12:1-3 aren't fun - no matter the side you're on (at least for me). and we have them in spades.
there's plenty of other situations that lead to "no fun", and the matchmaker
(or rather the flawed data it decides upon)
is to blame for many of these matches.

TLDR:
you personally can perform no matter what the others do, yes.
however that does NOT mean you had a fun match; and no-fun leads to dropping this game quickly again,
just to have some more enjoyable time somewhere else.

#18 MrMadguy

• 2,209 posts

Posted 11 August 2023 - 02:10 AM

It's better to play this game just prior to prime-time. Matchmaking is bad, when there are too few players to play with. But it's also bad, when it's prime-time and there is massive amount of groups in queue, that ruin game for solo players. Clear indicator of bad matchmaking - players voting for bad maps/modes, when better maps/modes are available. There are just two reason for this. Players who do it are way too good or way too bad. And I'm not sure, what is worse.

Edited by MrMadguy, 11 August 2023 - 02:12 AM.

#19 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 11 August 2023 - 03:17 AM

12-2/3 usually isn't a stomp. If you actually look at the damage numbers a lot of times 12-1/2 isn't a stomp either, just one team didn't secure the kills while the other team spread damage and rotated.

If you get 3 assaults that do 1 alpha worth of damage, yes you are going to lose that match and probably lopsided in the final count just about every time. If you are one of those assaults that do 34 damage and are blaming the mm, realize the skill level matching can only go so low.

#20 Kynesis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 11 August 2023 - 04:00 AM

View Postsycocys, on 11 August 2023 - 03:17 AM, said:

12-2/3 usually isn't a stomp. If you actually look at the damage numbers a lot of times 12-1/2 isn't a stomp either, just one team didn't secure the kills while the other team spread damage and rotated.

If you get 3 assaults that do 1 alpha worth of damage, yes you are going to lose that match and probably lopsided in the final count just about every time. If you are one of those assaults that do 34 damage and are blaming the mm, realize the skill level matching can only go so low.

So you're saying that the problem is how people use the term "stomp" rather than the experience of one side drastically out-performing the other... or that the number of kills doesn't define a stomp, but the damage numbers do... so a 12-0 by that measure isn't necessarily a "stomp" because... the losing side likely spread their damage?

Would that mean that say, a sportsball game where one side scores all the points isn't a stomp, because of how a given side did things during the game, or maybe of how the crowd reacted or the number of fouls or free kicks/throws or batting averages?

Edited by Kynesis, 11 August 2023 - 04:14 AM.

19 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 19 guests, 0 anonymous users