- - - - -

Newcomer Statistically Confused

42 replies to this topic

#21 R O B O C O P

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 October 2023 - 12:21 AM

someone can explain HOW MM add FP veterans and CW champs in TIER 5 game? (if you see i in tier 5) or those champ get prize on CW and lost all skills?

Edited by R O B O C O P, 14 October 2023 - 12:28 AM.

#22 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,736 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 14 October 2023 - 01:00 AM

View PostR O B O C O P, on 14 October 2023 - 12:21 AM, said:

someone can explain HOW MM add FP veterans and CW champs in TIER 5 game? (if you see i in tier 5) or those champ get prize on CW and lost all skills?
I'm not sure about CW Champions, but FP Veterans did not need any skill to earn the title, just participate in the mode shortly after its initial launch.
Plus there was a major PSR reset since then so it's possible you're looking at people who reactivated after years of absence.

Edited by Horseman, 14 October 2023 - 01:01 AM.

#23 R O B O C O P

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 October 2023 - 01:59 AM

View PostHorseman, on 14 October 2023 - 01:00 AM, said:

I'm not sure about CW Champions, but FP Veterans did not need any skill to earn the title, just participate in the mode shortly after its initial launch. Plus there was a major PSR reset since then so it's possible you're looking at people who reactivated after years of absence.

you write before "MM work normal" , i ask if MM work at all HOW players FAR NOT tier 5 ALWAYS get in tier 5 games. Its not politics vs new players. so how its help NEW players get all those bonuses from events , aspecialy cause mainly only inflicted DMG count.

Edited by R O B O C O P, 14 October 2023 - 02:00 AM.

#24 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,736 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 14 October 2023 - 10:49 AM

View PostR O B O C O P, on 14 October 2023 - 01:59 AM, said:

i ask if MM work at all HOW players FAR NOT tier 5 ALWAYS get in tier 5 games.
Again, you are making a faulty assumption that tenure in the game equals competence at it.
There are people who have played MWO since launch and are still irredeemably ******* terrible at it. The tier system does not promote players based on tenure, only based on their performance compared to the players they were matched with.

And just FYI... if you were actually consistently getting matched with Tier 1 players they'd eat you alive.

Edited by Horseman, 14 October 2023 - 10:50 AM.

#25 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,964 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 14 October 2023 - 12:09 PM

Om, nom, nom.

There is no such thing as a community warfare champion - if you're seeing titles related to that, it's a "was around at the time" achievement, not a skill badge.

Edited by Void Angel, 14 October 2023 - 12:20 PM.

#26 Half Ear

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 150 posts

Posted 14 October 2023 - 04:16 PM

View PostR O B O C O P, on 14 October 2023 - 12:21 AM, said:

Take an endgame screenshot and post (need to save it on a 3rd party site first). You have been here for awhile, at least 2016. There are lots of players who have been here since the game went live. The original PSR/Tier with flat MS levels, was setup to move almost everyone to Tier 1, a positive movement to in tiers, thus there were players were has a avg Matchscore of 172 MS and a 0.82 W/L ratio but get to Tier 2 and 1 after playing over 25K games..

Said player now is in Tier 5. And there are lots of players, after the PSR reset (initial setup had everyone starting at Tier 3, even starting players (shudders) but since then that has been changed to Tier 5. Anyhow, there are lots of previously Tier 1 players who now reside in Tier 3-5. This is based on how they match up with the other 23 players per match, and that revised PSR based on that game matchscore moves players up and down. Those in tier 3 and lower tend to have a 230 or lower average match score.

Now, with that said, groups of mixed tiers will lower that group's tier standing, allowing lower tiered players to face higher tiered players and vis versa. Then there is the time of day. Extreme early mornings, USA EST, will see the MM open so there are games. Based on the time stamp of your posts, we are looking at 4am EST, extremely low population time. That would be approximately 9am UK time.

This month you are running 1.0 W/L ratio, breaking even though you are averaging 171 MS, most of that with Assaults.....Simply pointing out that faster mechs should be tried, allowing you to get in and out and be more maneuverable while delivering the mech's payload.

#27 R O B O C O P

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 October 2023 - 10:39 PM

View PostHalf Ear, on 14 October 2023 - 04:16 PM, said:

Take an endgame screenshot and post (need to save it on a 3rd party site first). ....

tnx its explaining how I get i those game, but still not explaining how "skillful" players (if you think new players can get in tier 1 in 2 days, especially after Horseman words about real tier 1 jut rip me apart ,i fight vs TTB long time ago ,and those was 12/8 game KARL), i ask how those players with tag RIMS , 228 etc ,get vs NEW
players.

i try 4 image hosts and "You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community."

Posted Image

if need more i now knowhowpost img and can addmore and more.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

red -i thinkits higher tier players
yellow - must be new here (or just too passive to play at all )

Edited by R O B O C O P, 29 October 2023 - 01:54 AM.

#28 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,275 posts

Posted 14 October 2023 - 11:00 PM

View PostR O B O C O P, on 14 October 2023 - 10:39 PM, said:

tnx its explaining how I get i those game, but still not explaining how "skillful" players (if you think new players can get in tier 1 in 2 days, especially after Horseman words about real tier 1 jut rip me apart ,i fight vs TTB long time ago ,and those was 12/8 game KARL), i ask how those players with tag RIMS , 228 etc ,get vs NEW players.

Membership in a group has nothing to do with the skill. The same group can have both Tier 1 players and Tier 5 players and both will have the same four letter tag in front of their in-game nick.

#29 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,736 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 15 October 2023 - 01:49 AM

View PostR O B O C O P, on 14 October 2023 - 10:39 PM, said:

tnx its explaining how I get i those game, but still not explaining how "skillful" players (if you think new players can get in tier 1 in 2 days, especially after Horseman words about real tier 1 jut rip me apart ,i fight vs TTB long time ago ,and those was 12/8 game KARL), i ask how those players with tag RIMS , 228 etc ,get vs NEW players.
You're changing the goalposts. Your previous argument was that FP Veterans and CW Champions should not be in T5. This is a completely different one

But again, tenure is not skill and membership in a unit that has reputation for overall competence is no guarantee that the person in question is not among its' least effective members - or that they're not someone who's better at drop calling/mechlab (which are super useful in team environment) while sucking at solo gameplay.

The members list ( https://mwomercs.com...php?app=members ) and Jarl's List ( https://leaderboard.isengrim.org/ ) will be useful in checking your screenshots.

In your first screenshot, Red Team and Blue Team - nobody was really putting out T1 numbers there.

Second screenshot, Red Team and Blue Team. Heathen Hell might be a T1 player, the others do not look like it. You highlighted citytough because he overperformed that match, but overall he's at best a middling player.

Third screenshot, Red Team and Blue Team. Greybearz might be T1, but you also highlighted two guys who basically don't play the damn game.

i try 4 image hosts and "You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community."
Try Imgur, that works.

Edited by Horseman, 15 October 2023 - 01:49 AM.

#30 R O B O C O P

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 October 2023 - 02:37 AM

so doesn't matter how play (if you new player) you still will being stomped cause MM is working.

#31 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,275 posts

Posted 15 October 2023 - 05:08 AM

View PostR O B O C O P, on 15 October 2023 - 02:37 AM, said:

so doesn't matter how play (if you new player) you still will being stomped cause MM is working.
You can always work on improving your own gameplay. The better you play, the lower probability of being stomped.

#32 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,736 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 15 October 2023 - 05:42 AM

View PostR O B O C O P, on 15 October 2023 - 02:37 AM, said:

It matters. You just have to come to terms with the reality of PvP gaming: most of the time nobody gets to be a hero, and there are times when your team drops the ball too hard for even the best possible gameplay to save the day.
Not to put a too fine point on it, but in tier 5 being able to move and shoot at the same time or to run a non-garbage mech build is a superpower, and if you perform above average you will move up.

Anecdotally speaking, I'm almost sure none of the people in those screenshots are actually in T1 - because I'm in T1 and I don't recall seeing any of those names in my matches.

#33 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,677 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 19 October 2023 - 04:04 PM

The reality of it is that there may just not be enough players that are queued up for a match when you are that are about as good of a player as you are, so the Match Maker has to pull better players in to form a match at all.

#34 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,964 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 19 October 2023 - 06:32 PM

View PostHorseman, on 15 October 2023 - 05:42 AM, said:

Anecdotally speaking, I'm almost sure none of the people in those screenshots are actually in T1 - because I'm in T1 and I don't recall seeing any of those names in my matches.

EYEZ is home to players like Sustained Eye Contact who I know are Tier 1. However, this "NITEMARE 8" goombah with the spaces in his name ranks in the 53rd percentile right now on the Jarl's List. And he's the only one I've seen in my matches of all those dudes. For reference (though you can look it up on the site,) I'm ranked in the 85th percentile. And since Nitemare 8 (what an annoying name) only has a 0.9 win/loss, he's unlikely to be T1 - even though you can't tell for sure.

#35 Ignatius Audene

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 19 October 2023 - 11:45 PM

Check his jarls, and will see an quite avg. Player willing to improve got some training and meta builds from some top players. Though he is most likely not tier 1 yet. Just shows how tier 3 material can already slaughter through tier 5 environment.
The titles U mention are just participation medals. Play a number of titles for X faction and U get an rank. Play X number of matches in comp season (even loosing every match U will get an title).

And that's not even including, retired players coming back to the game and starting in low tiers (there was an tier reset). Even with old meta and a bit rusty, they will demolish tier 5 (but will quickly grow out of the low tiers). Takes a while though, since up to tier 3(a lot of xp to grind) u regulary get matched with 4 and 5.

Edited by Ignatius Audene, 19 October 2023 - 11:52 PM.

#36 R O B O C O P

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 October 2023 - 03:54 AM

after all one only solution for new players to avoid stomp - not play MechWarrior online at all, ive seen 1k rank in game vs new players and 3k and 5k ,if tier doesn't matter and rank doesn't matter so what point from MM at all.

#37 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,275 posts

Posted 29 October 2023 - 05:20 AM

View PostR O B O C O P, on 29 October 2023 - 03:54 AM, said:

after all one only solution for new players to avoid stomp - not play MechWarrior online at all, ive seen 1k rank in game vs new players and 3k and 5k ,if tier doesn't matter and rank doesn't matter so what point from MM at all.
Could you post the screenshot of the match summary table, please?

#38 VeeOt Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,210 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 30 October 2023 - 09:30 AM

as others have said the MM tends to open wide during low population times. you also have groups entering with lower tier members pulling their tier down. there is also the very real possibility of of T1 players with alt accounts so they can pad their numbers or other crap.

though i have to say the MWO has the highest learning curve of any PvP game i have ever played (and i am from the days of the original Unreal Tournament and dial-up internet (LAN gaming was the only real PvP option back then, for you hatchlings out there thats where you physically hook a bunch of PCs in the same room together in a network). you will get better don't worry. once you get the hang of what works and what doesn't you will improve. i honestly wouldn't pay much attention to your tier or the up or down arrows. once you get the hange of things you will quickly find out what works and what doesn't for your particular preferences. (remember the Testing ground is your friend, also don't forget the "View in Mechlab" tab in the store. it lets you test various builds (minus skills) on any mech in the store without having to buy them, you can even take those builds to the testing ground as well)

welcome to MWO and i hope you find joy in it.

#39 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,964 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 30 October 2023 - 10:06 AM

Ugh, is this still going? The matchmaker doesn't expand past +/-2 tiers, normally. Every one of the people who were claimed (in screenshots) to have been matched outside that range has turned out to be a fair-to-middling player on the Jarl's List. This isn't definitive, but it's fracking light-years farther toward proving that the MM is working normally than "my anecdotal story says MM is totally not working, man!"

#40 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,880 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 30 October 2023 - 12:54 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 30 October 2023 - 10:06 AM, said:

Ugh, is this still going? The matchmaker doesn't expand past +/-2 tiers, normally.

Yup. For that to happen, either there's a group throwing off the math or there are so few players online that the players get dumped into the only game waiting to load.

Otherwise, yeah, PVP. Sometimes you just get rolled. You can blame it on game mechanics or you can sit back and think that maybe I shouldn't have gone on the flank alone, or moved up without knowing where the red team was, or... self reflection is more useful than blame. Posted Image

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users