A Preview Of Things To Come!

128 replies to this topic

#1 Frost_Byte

• 68 posts

Posted 01 November 2023 - 09:26 AM

Hey everyone! We have a lot planned for the November patch and I wanted to give a quick sneak peak on our November legendary mech(we only have one this patch)!
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

I got this idea in August or September and spent a lot of time working to see if I could even do it ingame. Plus huge thanks to the Cauldron for helping this design come to life in MWO!

#2 Andrewlik

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • 138 posts

Posted 01 November 2023 - 09:37 AM

NICE
That looks rediculous and I love it!!

#3 Mechwarrior2342356

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 01 November 2023 - 09:39 AM

After you burned me on the TDR? Pass.

#4 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,819 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 01 November 2023 - 09:43 AM

So the shield weighs... 4 tons? A ton for every 15 tons of mech weight, like melee weapons in tabletop. Interesting.

Edited by ScrapIron Prime, 01 November 2023 - 09:44 AM.

#5 Frost_Byte

• 68 posts

Posted 01 November 2023 - 09:46 AM

One thing to note on this!

As you see, the shield takes up 5 slots in the Left Arm. It also takes up 4 tons. This is not equipment you can toggle, it is locked. We thought that making the shields actual equipment with locked tonnage and slots was the best way to ensure that these remained balanced as they're not "free" additions. Your mech has to pay something for that wall!

If we end up making more shield mechs down the road, we have a table built for Small, Medium, and Large shields with how much they will weigh and how many slots they'll take to keep things consistent.

View Postthe check engine light, on 01 November 2023 - 09:39 AM, said:

After you burned me on the TDR? Pass.

who hurt you

#6 Mechwarrior2342356

• 2,122 posts

Posted 01 November 2023 - 09:48 AM

View PostFrost_Byte, on 01 November 2023 - 09:46 AM, said:

As you see, the shield takes up 5 slots in the Left Arm. It also takes up 4 tons. This is not equipment you can toggle, it is locked. We thought that making the shields actual equipment with locked tonnage and slots was the best way to ensure that these remained balanced as they're not "free" additions. Your mech has to pay something for that wall!

If we end up making more shield mechs down the road, we have a table built for Small, Medium, and Large shields with how much they will weigh and how many slots they'll take to keep things consistent.

who hurt you

I mean you messing with that mech for no damn reason was really a kick in the shin.

#7 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,819 posts

Posted 01 November 2023 - 09:53 AM

View Postthe check engine light, on 01 November 2023 - 09:48 AM, said:

I mean you messing with that mech for no damn reason was really a kick in the shin.

What did they do to the Thunderbolt that you didn't like?

Here they're giving us a new Centurion. I Loooooooove Centurions. This is a good thing. Plus it doesn't have hardpoint inflation or the raw tonnage to make that shield utterly abusive. This is gonna be fun.

EDIT... And I already have a build for it. Wallet in standby mode. Posted Image

Edited by ScrapIron Prime, 01 November 2023 - 09:59 AM.

#8 Frost_Byte

• 68 posts

Posted 01 November 2023 - 09:55 AM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 01 November 2023 - 09:53 AM, said:

What did they do to the Thunderbolt that you didn't like?

Here they're giving us a new Centurion. I Loooooooove Centurions. This is a good thing. Plus it doesn't have hardpoint inflation or the raw tonnage to make that shield utterly abusive. This is gonna be fun.

Cauldron buffed a mech that we clearly shouldn't have buffed!

Yeah I was a little concerned that it's giving up 10% of its weight for the shield, but after playing around with it a bit I realized that the damage is alright but it will just live forever.

#9 ENOVA

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 18 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 18 Qualifier
  • 115 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 01 November 2023 - 10:04 AM

holy moly

#10 Mechwarrior2342356

• 2,122 posts

Posted 01 November 2023 - 10:07 AM

View PostFrost_Byte, on 01 November 2023 - 09:55 AM, said:

Cauldron buffed a mech that we clearly shouldn't have buffed!

Yeah I was a little concerned that it's giving up 10% of its weight for the shield, but after playing around with it a bit I realized that the damage is alright but it will just live forever.

Taking velocity away wasn't a buff. You sidegraded it at best. Took away missile cooldown that let SNPPC sync well with an MRM30, added a bit of generic cooldown and bumped heat slightly when the ECM, MASC and JJ already allowed it to work around heat and CD well enough. If you thought the nonweapon equips were the point of that TDR why not requirk around those, that would be genuinely interesting. No MASC shake or thrust boosts maybe. It's a generalist in weapons in a game that does not favor generalists.

Yeah, sure, Cent looks cool. Can't muster the enthusiasm. Paint aesthetic is great, I like mediums. Etc. Credit where credit is due. Between the change to the TDR and all the other **** happening lately, not feeling it.

Edited by the check engine light, 02 November 2023 - 04:42 PM.

#11 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 01 November 2023 - 10:07 AM

View PostFrost_Byte, on 01 November 2023 - 09:46 AM, said:

So, the bonus makes it look like the shield provides a 100 point bonus or 25/ton. Is that correct? Or is it really 19 points per ton of armor added on from the default of 56 max LA armor, or is it based on the default minimum of 24 that the other Cent's get (which would come out to 27/ton)?

Edit: Just curious how the value/ton calculation comes out, and if you can/willing, answer why you chose the numbers you did.

Edit2: I guess what it comes down to/what I suppose I am really wondering, is why the LA appears to be a base of 32 armor?

Edited by Bud Crue, 01 November 2023 - 10:19 AM.

#12 Mokkor

• PipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 72 posts

Posted 01 November 2023 - 10:17 AM

Holy ****! Looks really good!
That's what I expected when PGI first told us about Legendary mechs!

#13 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,819 posts

Posted 01 November 2023 - 10:22 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 01 November 2023 - 10:07 AM, said:

So, the bonus makes it look like the shield provides a 100 point bonus or 25/ton. Is that correct? Or is it really 19 points per ton of armor added on from the default of 56 max LA armor, or is it based on the default minimum of 24 that the other Cent's get (which would come out to 27/ton)?

Edit2: I guess what it comes down to/what I suppose I am really wondering, is why the LA appears to be a base of 32 armor?

Just from the maths... a Centurion has 32 max armor and a quirk of +24. The shield gives it 76 more points of armor for 4 tons.

The rest I want to hear. Posted Image

#14 Tepmnthar

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 November 2023 - 10:31 AM

Well done, bro, really well done. It's absolutely rediculous, and just like a bomb exploded in my *** which shakes me from head to toe.

#15 Nine-Ball

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 606 posts

Posted 01 November 2023 - 10:41 AM

*crosses fingers for a Legendary Battlemaster or some Battlemaster tweaks*

#16 An6ryMan69

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 475 posts

Posted 01 November 2023 - 10:50 AM

Looks fun.

Experience has shown me to not get too exited, or to buy anything, until it has been out for a few months and has settled into its proper place, regarding nerfs and buffs.

#17 Magrowl

• PipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 25 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 25 Qualifier
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 November 2023 - 10:52 AM

Now this is a damn proper legend mech. Incredible stuff

#18 Dr Cara Carcass

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 643 posts