326 replies to this topic

#301 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,270 posts

Posted 04 December 2023 - 09:20 PM

View PostBuguser, on 04 December 2023 - 03:07 PM, said:

So you think, we should give you money for something not working??? so stupid, i only have 4 mechs, and most times all 4 mechs are logged in for reasons you did not testet befor getting the update in game? there was a failur with your boldons in the past, did you not learn from it??? why should i spent any money in your company? getting one match turns out in waiting 30minutes+ and then nothing happens, all you got is logged your mech ingame, and then you choose an other just to get it locked too????? and then the third, and then the 4.??? there is no more fun in your game it was quite goodin the past, but now it is unplayable just if you spent half a day to get 4 matches. you can´t make any progress by that, how should you level your mechs by not getting in the game? stupid desissions, stupid wasting ressorces at the wrong point. if you where at my company and your product would work like this you got fired after the third day, and after that you got punnished by the cort. do something quick.

View PostLilMissWiz, on 04 December 2023 - 06:39 PM, said:

Been trying to catch up on this. So those of us that cannot get into a single game are just SOL until the 13th?

View PostBig-G, on 04 December 2023 - 06:52 PM, said:

It's becoming worse and worse as it goes... I've had about 5 locked mechs at one point... it's almost so bad I'm about to give up on MWO...

Read this, please:

Piranha Games Inc. said:

HOTFIX INCOMING

Greetings MechWarriors,

Just wanted to give you all a heads-up that we have a hotfix coming Wednesday, Dec 6th at 10am PST. We'll have patch notes tomorrow with more details. We apologize for the disruptions, and thank you for your continued patience!

-The MWO Team

#302 rascje

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 449 posts

Posted 04 December 2023 - 09:23 PM

HOTFIX INCOMING

I love reading the news early in the morning before going to work...
Good work, guys! I really appreciate that you decided to release a hotfix before the patch.
Thanks very much!

#303 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,736 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 05 December 2023 - 02:51 AM

View PostBuguser, on 04 December 2023 - 03:07 PM, said:

if you where at my company and your product would work like this you got fired after the third day, and after that you got punnished by the cort. do something quick.
That tells me you're a petty tyrant high on the feeling on power and execrably low on business sense.
If you managed a software product the way you describe, your product would be broken FOREVER because you'd have fired everyone who had any knowledge of it and any idea how to fix it and then you'd fire their replacements before they had time to learn the goddamn product enough to fix it.

You know how it's handled properly? Diagnose the problem. Fix the problem. Repeat until issues persist. Save any recriminations and blame until AFTER the situation is resolved.

And that is what PGI has done.

Edited by Horseman, 05 December 2023 - 02:55 AM.

#304 w0qj

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,566 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 05 December 2023 - 05:29 AM

Amen!

View PostHorseman, on 05 December 2023 - 02:51 AM, said:

...on business sense.
If you managed a software product the way you describe, your product would be broken FOREVER because you'd have fired everyone who had any knowledge of it and any idea how to fix it and then you'd fire their replacements before they had time to learn the goddamn product enough to fix it.

You know how it's handled properly? Diagnose the problem. Fix the problem. Repeat until issues persist. Save any recriminations and blame until AFTER the situation is resolved.

#305 Al_Bundy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel IV
  • Star Colonel IV
  • 146 posts
  • LocationBasel

Posted 05 December 2023 - 08:30 AM

View PostHorseman, on 05 December 2023 - 02:51 AM, said:

That tells me you're a petty tyrant high on the feeling on power and execrably low on business sense.

but this has been taking quite a long time...starting with the EU server problems...

Also: for the last 5 days NO matches have been possible for me...and I'm sure I'm not alone in that.

That's no longer a small thing, and even if I give everyone free time, with such a serious problem it is incomprehensible that this hotfix has taken so long to arrive (calculate the time since EU server problems).

The player numbers on Steam show that a lot of players are no longer so relaxed about the whole thing, and I count myself among them.

#306 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,736 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 05 December 2023 - 11:09 AM

View PostAl_Bundy, on 05 December 2023 - 08:30 AM, said:

but this has been taking quite a long time...starting with the EU server problems...
(...)
That's no longer a small thing, and even if I give everyone free time, with such a serious problem it is incomprehensible that this hotfix has taken so long to arrive (calculate the time since EU server problems).

It's a long time from your perspective and based on your assumptions regarding the effort and complexity involved.
Supporting enterprise software is what I do for a living. And in light of what I've seen over the past decade of my career in the field, PGI's reaction and response speed were quite reasonable.

November 21st, the issue is observed after the patch, which prompts PGI to take down the seemingly affected servers and later bring them back up.

November 22nd, they update us on their progress and make it clear they're still investigating the problem.

November 25th, three days later, they have established the most likely cause and made it clear that aside from the original issue itself they are also working on is replicating this issue in their QA environment so that they can test the fix there. They also make it clear that the fix involves database changes.
Replicating the issue was itself a major pre-requisite for them to test any hypothetical fixes.

December 1st, six days later, they provide an update regarding the fix as well as an explanation why testing it is taking "so long":

The change is significant as it will affect many areas of the Database, not just the Item IDs. Player Inventory, Player Loadouts, Player Purchase Trail, and more all have to transition and align with the new Item IDs so the systems that rely on them can continue to function properly (Events rewards systems, Customer support tools, etc.). This requires testing those systems as well.

Now, it's clear that you have no idea that this means affecting not just present but also historic records in their system, going all the way back to when the bolt-on system was introduced. That's a shitload of changes they have to verify.

December 5th, four days later, they inform us the hotfix will be coming out on the next day.

We are all frustrated, but it helps to get some healthy perspective: Big name software companies frequently take months to produce "urgent" fixes. I know for a fact that Microsoft has been informed of a certain issue with one of their APIs for better part of three years and still hasn't even acknowledged it exists. At one point, years ago, I notified Steam about an issue in their payment method management and got a response six months later that entirely missed the point of the bug report and didn't even acknowledge the issue existed in the first place.

PGI has acknowledged the issue immediately, managed to diagnose its cause and devise an action plan, in four days, then implement their fix and put it through QA in ten days (two of which fell on a weekend), a timeframe that's absurdly short in comparison.

Edited by Horseman, 05 December 2023 - 03:31 PM.

#307 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,952 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 05 December 2023 - 04:05 PM

View Postthe check engine light, on 04 December 2023 - 06:39 PM, said:

Have seen that happen a few times on Solaris City, it's always a light mech IIRC. Saw a PIR manage it once, he doesn't even have JJs to do weird things with the collision, how tf he do that

Speed, most likely. The game can get confused about collisions if you hit stuff fast enough; a hard barrier like a wall will generally stop a player, but low obstacles or 'mechs can sometimes be run though (Light 'mechs used to do this a lot; under certain circumstances it causes rubberbanding and stutter to make them hard to hit.) If they're hitting a building at enough speed, and there's a gap in the building's collision structure, he could pop through it where bigger/slower 'mechs would just hit a wall like reg'lar folks.

#308 CrustyMech

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 148 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 December 2023 - 05:14 PM

Anyone else having a problem with the automatic sending of crash dump data? Or is that a known thing?

#309 Mechwarrior2342356

• 2,130 posts

Posted 05 December 2023 - 05:16 PM

View PostCrustyMech, on 05 December 2023 - 05:14 PM, said:

Anyone else having a problem with the automatic sending of crash dump data? Or is that a known thing?

it's like the goggles, they do nothing, it points to some nonfunctional address

Bug reports are best sent manually to an address posted on this website

#310 CrustyMech

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 148 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 December 2023 - 05:21 PM

View Postthe check engine light, on 05 December 2023 - 05:16 PM, said:

Gotcha.

#311 CrustyMech

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 148 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 December 2023 - 06:22 PM

View Postthe check engine light, on 05 December 2023 - 05:16 PM, said:

BTW, do you happen to know where MWO stores the dump file and it's full name?

#312 Mechwarrior2342356

• 2,130 posts

Posted 05 December 2023 - 06:29 PM

View PostCrustyMech, on 05 December 2023 - 06:22 PM, said:

Not a clue, no. Someone probably knows here. Until very recently my setup has been so absurdly stable 99.9 percent of the time I hadn't ever really bothered.

Edited by the check engine light, 05 December 2023 - 06:30 PM.

#313 Strelok7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 05 December 2023 - 08:00 PM

GO HOT FIX.....GO HOT FIX......jingle, jingle, .... jingle, jingle

#314 Stonefalcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 1,373 posts
  • LocationProselytizing in the name of Our Lord and Savior the Annihilator

Posted 05 December 2023 - 08:43 PM

Hey Mat,

Does that now mean re-scale is back on the cards? I know the hesitation behind rescale was due to the enormous number of bolt-ons but with the database clean up that significantly reduces the number of assets needing adjustment.

#315 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 05 December 2023 - 10:57 PM

View PostCrustyMech, on 05 December 2023 - 06:22 PM, said:

The file's named omicron.log, it's in your profile folder. Can't look up the exact location, but some savy folks might come to my rescue Posted Image

#316 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,736 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 06 December 2023 - 01:42 AM

View PostStonefalcon, on 05 December 2023 - 08:43 PM, said:

Does that now mean re-scale is back on the cards? I know the hesitation behind rescale was due to the enormous number of bolt-ons but with the database clean up that significantly reduces the number of assets needing adjustment.
It probably doesn't change it, as the bolt-ons still have individual models per mech that would need to be adjusted.

#317 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 06 December 2023 - 02:16 AM

Yeah, the amount of necessary adjustments does not go down with the number of individual IDs I think.

Edited by Aidan Crenshaw, 06 December 2023 - 02:17 AM.

#318 Mark Yore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Deadset Legend
  • Deadset Legend
  • 228 posts

Posted 06 December 2023 - 04:56 AM

View PostsyhArch3r, on 04 December 2023 - 10:50 AM, said:

Why in the world AU servers work better than EU and NA ?

Better people... Posted Image

#319 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,138 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 06 December 2023 - 06:57 AM

They are a lot newer i believe, and everything Aussie is better... except our economy.

View PostPz_DC, on 04 December 2023 - 12:08 PM, said:

Past few days I see a lot of players who's keep playing even with pings like 500-700 and it make me belive in future of MWO Posted Image

Now they know what its like for Aussies on EU server daily..

Edited by PocketYoda, 06 December 2023 - 06:59 AM.

#320 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,270 posts

Posted 06 December 2023 - 07:01 AM

I am not quite sure why they work better, but I am quite satisfied that they work better. Posted Image

18 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 18 guests, 0 anonymous users