- - - - -

New To Game, Store Question

54 replies to this topic

#1 Hello Their

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 December 2023 - 04:20 PM

What's the Largest Moose God Smacking Mech in the store? Has to be Slow AF and can take a pounding like your moms Rolling Pin? Just curious i am trying to grind the free one to build up MC, BUT i want something that makes inadequacy for the apposing team.

#2 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,819 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 07 December 2023 - 08:49 PM

So you’re looking for a hulking mass of armor that can deliver a fearful broadside. As Void Angel pointed out in the other thread, there’s a fair number to choose from.

let's start with what your preferred playstyle is so far. Sniper? Midrange? In their face?

and add to that your preferred weapons. Hitscan lasers? Pulse lasers? Autocannons? Particle cannons? Missiles?

narrow that down and we can make sure your first expenditure, be it cBills or MC isn’t a waste.

And don’t forget, if your mech is big and slow, there’s every chance to become a big waddling target instead of a ravager of metal. Position, awareness, and practice are important, so I usually recommend a mech that can clear 60kph for the newest players. It gives you more maneuvering options.

#3 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 07 December 2023 - 09:59 PM

View PostHello Their, on 07 December 2023 - 04:20 PM, said:

What's the Largest Moose God Smacking Mech in the store? Has to be Slow AF and can take a pounding like your moms Rolling Pin? Just curious i am trying to grind the free one to build up MC, BUT i want something that makes inadequacy for the apposing team.
store mechs that are tanky able to take a beating include the stone Rhino, warlord (atlas) and honestly that's all i know of the stone rhino has a good hard hitting weapons but being a clan mech has less armor than it's inner spher equivlent, but hits harder, it's top mounted guns are good for sniping...

#4 Hello Their

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 December 2023 - 11:30 PM

Ok i had a change of plans, I have fallen in love with the Locust mech, i have a few hard questions. Firstly i think i would get tired of tanking in the long run, that being said i am i have collected thus far 7/8 of them the one i do not have is the 1500 MC one but ill get it around Christmas. My main one currently is the LCP-something(C) My main goal is completely for speed, stealth scouting.

I really want it to be light as possible able to take falls incase i need to dip in a hurry. And for the most part make target locking hard AF lol, i also just want one beam per arm. for effectively trading firepower for speed. The last concern for me is skill wise how can i build my skill tree of 91/91 to just make me invisible nearly.

That is about the style of gameplay i want, use the lightest weapons possible for tapping if i have too and run my booty off lol. I would love to camo out my main one for hard to spot, I am into cosmetics esthetics as well. so while i spot mechs i can look cool too. lol any pro tips would be most welcome. This game is great i am enjoying it a lot. so i want long term focus build on just all 8 Styles of Locust mechs. thanks

#5 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,797 posts

Posted 07 December 2023 - 11:38 PM

View PostHello Their, on 07 December 2023 - 11:30 PM, said:

Ok i had a change of plans, I have fallen in love with the Locust mech, i have a few hard questions. Firstly i think i would get tired of tanking in the long run, that being said i am i have collected thus far 7/8 of them the one i do not have is the 1500 MC one but ill get it around Christmas. My main one currently is the LCP-something(C) My main goal is completely for speed, stealth scouting.

I think that you will love "Pirates' Bane" with its combination of speed and stealth. Posted Image

#6 Hello Their

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 December 2023 - 12:07 AM

View Postmartian, on 07 December 2023 - 11:38 PM, said:

I think that you will love "Pirates' Bane" with its combination of speed and stealth. Posted Image

i think so too, but i tweaked my loadout on my main mech atm for long range detection, plus AMS incase i get into trouble. i am not as fast as i was but i don't need to get close with my sensors to locate medium and heavys

#7 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,608 posts

Posted 08 December 2023 - 12:14 AM

AMS won't benefit you much, quite the opposite in fact, it either gives away your position or you'll have to micromanage its activity. Most light pilots do not find it worthwile.

#8 Hello Their

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 December 2023 - 12:26 AM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 08 December 2023 - 12:14 AM, said:

AMS won't benefit you much, quite the opposite in fact, it either gives away your position or you'll have to micromanage its activity. Most light pilots do not find it worthwile.

ah good to know, ill swap that out then lol

#9 Hello Their

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 December 2023 - 12:32 AM

i think i might get the Ultimate Stone Rhino pack, That way ill have all the Locus and i can have all the MegaMechs lol

#10 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,797 posts

Posted 08 December 2023 - 12:58 AM

View PostHello Their, on 08 December 2023 - 12:07 AM, said:

i think so too, but i tweaked my loadout on my main mech atm for long range detection, plus AMS incase i get into trouble. i am not as fast as i was but i don't need to get close with my sensors to locate medium and heavys

AMS on your Locust is not as good idea as you probably think:
  • its tracers show the position of your 'Mech
  • your 'Mech can outrun and outmaneuver many LRMs, thus making AMS unnecessary

View PostHello Their, on 08 December 2023 - 12:32 AM, said:

i think i might get the Ultimate Stone Rhino pack, That way ill have all the Locus and i can have all the MegaMechs lol

The Dire Wolf also has some advantages such as swappable OmniPods and ECM hardpoint (on Dire Wolf C).

#11 Besh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 December 2023 - 05:50 AM

I really want it to be light as possible able to take falls incase i need to dip in a hurry. And for the most part make target locking hard AF lol, i also just want one beam per arm. for effectively trading firepower for speed. The last concern for me is skill wise how can i build my skill tree of 91/91 to just make me invisible nearly.

That is about the style of gameplay i want, use the lightest weapons possible for tapping if i have too and run my booty off lol. I would love to camo out my main one for hard to spot, I am into cosmetics esthetics as well. so while i spot mechs i can look cool too. lol any pro tips would be most welcome. This game is great i am enjoying it a lot. so i want long term focus build on just all 8 Styles of Locust mechs. thanks

You mitigate fall damage through "Schock Absorbance" skillnodes in SkillTree . Anything visual you add to your LCT - bolton, flashy camo - directly opposes the notion of "hard to see" .

Edited by Besh, 08 December 2023 - 05:59 AM.

#12 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,819 posts

Posted 08 December 2023 - 08:27 AM

Oh, and we want to make sure you know about this website. You can flesh out your mech builds there and export the code so you can import it into the mechlab in game!

https://mwo.nav-alpha.com/

You might also enjoy looking at the Raven 3L for cBills. Its got the stealth you like and at 35 tons has a lot more payload than the Locust while still breaking 90 or 100 kph if you so choose. My favorite trick with it is to load it up with 3 ER Large Lasers and do fire-and-fade. ( https://mwo.nav-alph...1b4afd1c_RVN-3L )

But back to the locust, you can't go wrong with one of the classic Pirate's Bane builds. Sneak in, light someone up from the rear, then reposition and repeat. And when you attract enough attention, just run and let your team exploit their focus on you. Put skill points into ECM and Seismic Sensors. You'll love seismic sensors. =)
( https://mwo.nav-alph...a9d4d932_LCT-PB )

#13 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,797 posts

Posted 08 December 2023 - 09:29 AM

View PostBesh, on 08 December 2023 - 05:50 AM, said:

You mitigate fall damage through "Schock Absorbance" skillnodes in SkillTree . Anything visual you add to your LCT - bolton, flashy camo - directly opposes the notion of "hard to see" .

"Pirates' Bane" is gunmetal colour mostly.

#14 Hello Their

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 December 2023 - 12:41 PM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 08 December 2023 - 08:27 AM, said:

Oh, and we want to make sure you know about this website. You can flesh out your mech builds there and export the code so you can import it into the mechlab in game!

https://mwo.nav-alpha.com/

You might also enjoy looking at the Raven 3L for cBills. Its got the stealth you like and at 35 tons has a lot more payload than the Locust while still breaking 90 or 100 kph if you so choose. My favorite trick with it is to load it up with 3 ER Large Lasers and do fire-and-fade. ( https://mwo.nav-alph...1b4afd1c_RVN-3L )

But back to the locust, you can't go wrong with one of the classic Pirate's Bane builds. Sneak in, light someone up from the rear, then reposition and repeat. And when you attract enough attention, just run and let your team exploit their focus on you. Put skill points into ECM and Seismic Sensors. You'll love seismic sensors. =)
( https://mwo.nav-alph...a9d4d932_LCT-PB )

Sweet, ill have to take a look at the Raven CL thanks for letting me know. also thanks for all the info some great tips, its appreciated

#15 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,797 posts

Posted 08 December 2023 - 12:44 PM

View PostHello Their, on 08 December 2023 - 12:41 PM, said:

Sweet, ill have to take a look at the Raven CL thanks for letting me know. also thanks for all the info some great tips, its appreciated

Before you spend some big amount of MCs or C-Bills on something, it could be a good idea to ask in this section.

#16 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,819 posts

Posted 08 December 2023 - 01:36 PM

View Postmartian, on 08 December 2023 - 12:44 PM, said:

Before you spend some big amount of MCs or C-Bills on something, it could be a good idea to ask in this section.

Yup, because while the mech chassis is the big spend, you have to spend cBills on equipment every time you modify it. So you want to minimize changes to the build. Like not putting on the AMS system on the stealth build you mentioned earlier... or buying the wrong size engine... or a poor combination of weapons...

The old not-so-salty vets are here to help! Posted Image

#17 Hello Their

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 December 2023 - 02:31 PM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 08 December 2023 - 01:36 PM, said:

Yup, because while the mech chassis is the big spend, you have to spend cBills on equipment every time you modify it. So you want to minimize changes to the build. Like not putting on the AMS system on the stealth build you mentioned earlier... or buying the wrong size engine... or a poor combination of weapons...

The old not-so-salty vets are here to help! Posted Image

so regarding that, how do reset the mech to its stock build i was messing around with all that and i realize i just want the stock build it came with lol. at least i know now before i buy pirates bane, i did buy a heavy mech to see if i preferred it over the Locust and it was a solid no lol. So once i do get the pirates bane i just need to know what to get for skill wise specs

looks like ill run 4 med lasers and one med er with 4 double heat sinks

here is also a question what's the smallest mech with jump jets?

Edited by Hello Their, 08 December 2023 - 03:30 PM.

#18 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 08 December 2023 - 03:04 PM

If you like the Locust you might appreciate the Scaleshot legendary mech. It's a sneaky hit and run ******* with a big load of SRM suppositories to put up the red team's unprotected backsides.

so regarding that, how do reset the mech to its stock build

Import this build code:
AN382:D0|8d|0@|0@p@0|[?|[?|KO|i^|i^q@0|[?|[?|^<2|gO|i^r80s80t@0u@0v@0w404040

Edited by Horseman, 08 December 2023 - 03:05 PM.

#19 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,601 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 08 December 2023 - 04:50 PM

The play style you're looking for is a "skirmisher," with weapons like Medium Lasers to poke and be annoying.

#20 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,421 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 08 December 2023 - 05:51 PM

Hey Hello Their,

A warm welcome to MWO!

Should you set your heart on the Hero mech Locust Pirate's Bane, it would cost you 1,500 MC at regular price.
~There's a MC 50% Off hero mech sale a few times each year, if you can wait a little...

~You should/will 1,000 MC from this current Phoenix Protocol Compensation Event, and
~You should/will receive another 200 MC from Advent Event Phase 1
~There's a high chance there will be more free MC from other Advent Event too!

==>In short, you should have enough "free" MC for your Pirate's Bane, even at regular MC prices!

Try to enjoy the agony of choosing which Hero mech you desire with your hard-earned MC Posted Image

Edit: Look here also!
https://mwo.nav-alpha.com/mechs

View PostHello Their, on 07 December 2023 - 04:20 PM, said:

Edited by w0qj, 08 December 2023 - 05:51 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users