Tier 1 Gold Champ Design Challenge

112 replies to this topic

#21 MechMaster059

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 21 January 2024 - 06:07 PM

View PostFloof Yeen, on 21 January 2024 - 05:55 PM, said:

... just post the answers ...

So not interested in having a little fun thinking about it? You just want the answers? This thread hasn't even been up for a single day.

View Postfoamyesque, on 21 January 2024 - 05:58 PM, said:

Quite frankly one of your questions is unintelligble gibberish that only makes sense to you

Not to someone who understands what normalization is. #3 is a two-part question. First you have to figure out what the number refer to which is not hard, Navid A1 and Heavy Money figured it out already, then spend a little time thinking about he numbers. The major problem sticks out like a sore thumb.

View Postfoamyesque, on 21 January 2024 - 05:58 PM, said:

That said the most useless skill nodes - now that Hill Climb has been patched to work instead of the reverse -- is easily Speed Retention, because rhe only machines where it would make a meaningful change -- lights and fast mediums -- are kneecapped by the speed cap anyway.

Is Speed Retention your answer to one of the questions? Which one?

#22 RickySpanish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 21 January 2024 - 06:19 PM

Mark, don't measure.

#23 Floof Yeen

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 January 2024 - 06:22 PM

View PostMechMaster059, on 21 January 2024 - 06:07 PM, said:

So not interested in having a little fun thinking about it? You just want the answers? This thread hasn't even been up for a single day.

you posted these questions in the last thread and my instincts are telling me that you are only posting these questions in this way to attempt to assuage your own ego and intellect and don't actually care about making the game better. if the latter were true you would have just posted your suggestions and asked for feedback.

normalization

normalization means jack squat in a video game. what actually matters is how things feel in game, how they play with the various other mechanics and numbers in the game. this is a video game, after all, not merely a blueprint for something that just needs to be linearly scaled up or down easily. jump jet stats have to take into account hitbox size, average mobility of the entire mech class (rounded down to avoid over-tuned chassis), weapon capabilities, etc. all of these stats combined means that simple normalization can't always happen. a video game should be first and foremost fun and balanced gameplay-wise. not merely balanced so the .xml spreadsheets look nice.

Edited by Floof Yeen, 21 January 2024 - 06:22 PM.

#24 MechMaster059

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 21 January 2024 - 06:31 PM

View PostFloof Yeen, on 21 January 2024 - 06:22 PM, said:

...don't actually care about making the game better. if the latter were true you would have just posted your suggestions and asked for feedback.

Wrong. The answers to these questions are real. They're all OLD problems. That's the point, to show it's people like YOU who don't actually care about improving the game Mr. 4 post smurf.

View PostFloof Yeen, on 21 January 2024 - 06:22 PM, said:

normalization means jack squat in a video game. what actually matters is how things feel in game, how they play with the various other mechanics and numbers in the game. this is a video game, after all, not merely a blueprint for something that just needs to be linearly scaled up or down easily. jump jet stats have to take into account hitbox size, average mobility of the entire mech class (rounded down to avoid over-tuned chassis), weapon capabilities, etc. all of these stats combined means that simple normalization can't always happen. a video game should be first and foremost fun and balanced gameplay-wise. not merely balanced so the .xml spreadsheets look nice.

Jesus... see that's the thing, what's being referred to in question #3 doesn't feel right and isn't properly balanced.

#25 Floof Yeen

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 January 2024 - 06:54 PM

View PostMechMaster059, on 21 January 2024 - 06:31 PM, said:

Wrong. The answers to these questions are real. They're all OLD problems. That's the point, to show it's people like YOU who don't actually care about improving the game Mr. 4 post smurf.

1. not a smurf. just haven't bothered to post on the forums much. usually limit my MWO discussions to discords. however, if you put my name into the jarl's list, you'd be able to tell this isn't a smurf account.
2. I care about improving the game but I want to focus on more meaningful things. balance importance isn't limited to the age of the problem. what matters most is impact to the player base, especially when PGI has such limited resources and work-time. why would they waste their time on your frivolities if you're not willing to put in the work first?

View PostMechMaster059, on 21 January 2024 - 06:31 PM, said:

Jesus... see that's the thing, what's being referred to in question #3 doesn't feel right and isn't properly balanced.

could you at least say why it's not properly balanced. what meaningful impact the changes would have on the balance of the game--how the mech classes' gameplay actually change in game in terms of relative mobility on different maps, or poptart time/exposure, or whatever other metric?

Edited by Floof Yeen, 21 January 2024 - 06:55 PM.

#26 MechMaster059

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 21 January 2024 - 07:11 PM

View PostFloof Yeen, on 21 January 2024 - 06:54 PM, said:

1. not a smurf. just haven't bothered to post on the forums much. usually limit my MWO discussions to discords. however, if you put my name into the jarl's list, you'd be able to tell this isn't a smurf account.

You are indeed not a smurf. Glad I could inspire you to post.

2. I care about improving the game but I want to focus on more meaningful things. balance importance isn't limited to the age of the problem. what matters most is impact to the player base, especially when PGI has such limited resources and work-time. why would they waste their time on your frivolities if you're not willing to put in the work first?

Huh? Not put in the work? I've put in WAYYY more work than just about anyone else on this forum when it comes to in-depth posts. (Targeting Computer rework, X-Pulse Laser rework, ballistic damage/ton normalization, UAC jam duration rework (I never posted my full UAC rework because I got spooked by my UAC-10 jam duration post being locked by the mods)) You may genuinely not be aware of my post history if you don't spend much time on the forums.

could you at least say why it's not properly balanced. what meaningful impact the changes would have on the balance of the game--how the mech classes' gameplay actually change in game in terms of relative mobility on different maps, or poptart time/exposure, or whatever other metric?

Reposting the hints:

1. 60 seconds
2. 83.3 kph
3. 5, 4, 3, 2, 1
4. 66%

#1 is irritating and screws up the skill tree.
#2 is not a big deal but it's still a shame to see wasted skill nodes.
#3 is significant for heavy and assault mechs.
#4 is very disappointing and combined with #3 made me want to stop playing my CGR-N7.

#27 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,786 posts

Posted 21 January 2024 - 07:23 PM

View PostTiy0s, on 21 January 2024 - 05:09 PM, said:

Bassault is not a member of the cauldron. As much time as he’s spent arguing with you about LRMs, he’s spent more time arguing with cauldron about assaults, dakka, masc, the state of light mechs, poptarts, etc. He’s a prominent community member, but not a cauldron member.

If you want, here’s a list of cauldron members:
Navid A1
Bear Claw
Krasnopesky
Dario
Bows3r
JustcallmeASH
Jay Z
Brauer
Mister Somaru
MrVaad
Myself(Tiy0s/Frost_Byte)
Pasha
Bluedevilspawn
Brios
Capn Cat
Geeram
Magic Pain Glove

These are discord names, not everyone’s ingame names. But they should be close.

the most valuable post in the thread.

Edited by LordNothing, 21 January 2024 - 07:23 PM.

#28 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,684 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 21 January 2024 - 08:27 PM

what is even happening here

#29 MechMaster059

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 21 January 2024 - 08:31 PM

View Postpbiggz, on 21 January 2024 - 08:27 PM, said:

what is even happening here

Not much. No one wants to put forth even a minimal effort to answer the questions. Luminios is the only person with 1 solid correct answer.

They'd all rather wait for me to give the answers so they can pounce upon me and tell me I'm Tier 3 so I don't know what I'm talking about.

#30 Floof Yeen

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 January 2024 - 08:47 PM

View PostMechMaster059, on 21 January 2024 - 08:31 PM, said:

Not much. No one wants to put forth even a minimal effort to answer the questions. Luminios is the only person with 1 solid correct answer.

They'd all rather wait for me to give the answers so they can pounce upon me and tell me I'm Tier 3 so I don't know what I'm talking about.

I don't claim to know everything about this game, especially minute details of stats of this or that piece of equipment. never played a charger, nor have I ever taken hard brake on an assault. this should be a moment for you to teach people about lesser known and esoteric bits of the game, not to flaunt about your supreme knowledge. I'm sure even PGI themselves don't know how many aspects of the game work at this point, due to it being cryengine and having ******** spaghetti code.

literally just ignore the people crying about your tier. it only matters if you can't prove you know what you're talking about; one can be high knowledge but low execution for various reasons.

#31 Dogmeat1

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • 123 posts
  • LocationButte Hold

Posted 21 January 2024 - 10:00 PM

You are the one making claims of finding issues therefore the onus is solely on you to first outline what those issues are and then provide evidence. Only then can they be discussed seriously. On the previous thread you made a number of misinformed claims about game mechanics such as claiming that only lock-ons have hard counters like AMS (AMS affects both MRMs and SRMs). Therefore it is pointless to try to speculate about what you are refering to this time as we have no way of knowing if you are actually using correct information or not.

So please post your claims if you want to have a proper discussion.

#32 foamyesque

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 694 posts

Posted 21 January 2024 - 10:02 PM

Is Speed Retention your answer to one of the questions? Which one?

I ain't playing your silly quiz. That said it's pretty clear you want to talk about the relative strength of skill nodes, and Speed Retention is a node that actively makes your machine worse because that's a node you could've spent elsewhere on something far more useful.

EDIT:

Although I will say that 360 Target Retention isn't super great either.

Edited by foamyesque, 22 January 2024 - 12:32 AM.

#33 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,819 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 21 January 2024 - 10:23 PM

Or how about we focus on what really affects game play. Please tell me what two lines are missing from the following sub stack string and what file they need to be in to resolve invisible walls in CryEngine render operations?

"Input:BindCommandToKey("#ViewDistIncreased()","f11",1);
function ViewDistIncreased()
e_terrain_lod_ratio = "1"
?
?
e_obj_view_dist_ratio = "100"
end

No? Is that because LUA coding a hot key for CryEngine resolution and distance rendering has little bearing on the playing of the game? Gosh, who’d have thought?

If there’s a skill node of little use… don’t use it.
If the jump jet skill tree isn’t to your liking, don’t use it, just bolt on another jump jet.

Edited by ScrapIron Prime, 21 January 2024 - 10:25 PM.

#34 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,761 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 21 January 2024 - 10:33 PM

I read the first post in this thread and immediately thought of this:

Do yourself a favour OP, don't let perfect be the enemy of good.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#35 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 21 January 2024 - 11:21 PM

better yet

#36 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,616 posts

Posted 21 January 2024 - 11:24 PM

Yep not interested to solve your balance riddles...
Have zero interest to start checking skilltree values that match your 1st post to know what you want to talk about.... if you even want to talk about those.

How about providing real rewards like legendary mech if someone knows all answers, might add motivation to check your riddles.

#37 next comp

• Pip
  • Cadet
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 January 2024 - 12:44 AM

Unhinged

#38 Heavy Money

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 22 January 2024 - 01:10 AM

First you have to figure out what the number refer to which is not hard, Navid A1 and Heavy Money figured it out already

I actually only knew because Navid had mentioned it in the other thread.

#39 Samziel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seraph
  • The Seraph
  • 503 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 22 January 2024 - 02:28 AM

No one cares about your idiotic quiz here. If you want attention to an issue, spit it out. Otherwise you're just wasting everyones time. And if you keep going dont wonder why people are calling it a troll post.

#40 MechMaster059

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 22 January 2024 - 05:37 AM

View PostDogmeat1, on 21 January 2024 - 10:00 PM, said:

...such as claiming that only lock-ons have hard counters like AMS (AMS affects both MRMs and SRMs). Therefore it is pointless to try to speculate about what you are refering to this time as we have no way of knowing if you are actually using correct information or not.

I knew AMS "counters" MRMs and SRMs, but does it really? When you see an SRM brawler bearing down upon you do you think to yourself "Thank goodness I have AMS to protect me from that guy's SRMs". Me neither. No one mounts AMS to counter MRMs or SRMs because the close range those missiles are used at, their flat trajectory, and high velocity makes AMS nearly useless to counter them.

Wow man, you so got me there by bringing up the fact that AMS technically, in only the most technical sense, counter MRMs and SRMs. Fail.

View Postfoamyesque, on 21 January 2024 - 10:02 PM, said:

I ain't playing your silly quiz.

Then you get 0 points. Disappointing. I expected a little better from you foamyesque.

That said it's pretty clear you want to talk about the relative strength of skill nodes, and Speed Retention is a node that actively makes your machine worse because that's a node you could've spent elsewhere on something far more useful.

I can't go into detail regarding your answer.

EDIT:
Although I will say that 360 Target Retention isn't super great either.

Target Retention does suck but it does what it says and, more importantly, the skill nodes for it are floating in space so you can just ignore them. The node I'm thinking of is even more useless and damages the skill tree.

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 21 January 2024 - 10:23 PM, said:

Or how about we focus on what really affects game play. Please tell me what two lines are missing from the following sub stack string and what file they need to be in to resolve invisible walls in CryEngine render operations?

"Input:BindCommandToKey("#ViewDistIncreased()","f11",1);
function ViewDistIncreased()
e_terrain_lod_ratio = "1"
?
?
e_obj_view_dist_ratio = "100"
end

No? Is that because LUA coding a hot key for CryEngine resolution and distance rendering has little bearing on the playing of the game? Gosh, who’d have thought?

If there’s a skill node of little use… don’t use it.
If the jump jet skill tree isn’t to your liking, don’t use it, just bolt on another jump jet.

What is the point of posing a technical question you acknowledge "has little bearing on the playing of the game"?

#3 is not referring to jump jet skill nodes. Jump jet skill nodes are all good and useful.

View PostCFC Conky, on 21 January 2024 - 10:33 PM, said:

I read the first post in this thread and immediately thought of this:

LOL. Classic movie.

View PostCurccu, on 21 January 2024 - 11:24 PM, said:

Yep not interested to solve your balance riddles...

I didn't expect you would be.

View PostSamziel, on 22 January 2024 - 02:28 AM, said:

No one cares about your idiotic quiz here. ...

EXACTLY. Tells you all you need to know about the Cauldron and the Gold Champs doesn't it. Boy can they dish it out making fun of someone's tier, but when it comes time to THINK, suddenly they're nowhere to be found.

The answer to #2 has already been mentioned in this thread. Some people are getting closer to #1. I provided hints. I could understand people getting upset for me sitting on the answer to #4 but #1 and #2 are fairly easy and, if you understand normalization, #3 doesn't take much thought either.

I will begin providing answers, one question at a time, tonight. Once I provide an answer, that question will no longer be worth any points.

Edited by MechMaster059, 22 January 2024 - 05:38 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users