72 replies to this topic

#21 Curccu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,616 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 12:23 PM

View PostIgnatius Audene, on 12 February 2024 - 09:08 AM, said:

7% light usage. DATA posting some potato farm videos in potato farm build doesn't change much. Or is Anni OP because DATA von 11vs 1 in it

Nah assaults are ok to be OP and wreck everything because they cost more CB than other mechs, said one light mech hater once upon a time.

#22 ThreeStooges

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 505 posts
  • Locationamc reruns and youtube

Posted 12 February 2024 - 03:07 PM

Lights are so op I can solo six assults with a half ton ammo on a lrm 5 only locust...

...if you believe these bs threads like the common brain dead sheet themselves brown the moment they even see a light as s sult pilot.

#23 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,684 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 12 February 2024 - 04:37 PM

View PostR O B O C O P, on 12 February 2024 - 08:04 AM, said:

yep lights not owning , but after several games when i start fight alone on assault vs light (just in dropzone cause , you must be don't know light is way faster then assault), and get lowered PERSONAL skill tier after game , i think thats RUINING game aspecialy for new players , but who care money earning , so all those discomfort is completle acceptable for those players , who exploting hit regs.errors and offcourse play with fair adhd fire controll and same type apps.

PS think a lot players seen this

If you spend all your time pissing and ******** yourself every time someone drops in a jenner you're going to have a bad time. Take a breath, shoot the light.

PS: claiming lights are OP because D A T A posted videos of his seal clubbing is kind of like saying all cars are too fast because Lamborghinis can go fast. You picked a convenient edge case and you're using as evidence of a trend that isn't there.

Edited by pbiggz, 12 February 2024 - 04:39 PM.

#24 Ihlrath

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wild Dog
  • Wild Dog
  • 368 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 05:29 PM

Sir, as an Urbie enthusiast... I can assure you lights are not OP.

#25 Darian DelFord

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 12 February 2024 - 08:23 PM

Ayup another Lights are OP thread and a repost of this

#26 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,616 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 10:34 PM

View PostDarian DelFord, on 12 February 2024 - 08:23 PM, said:

Ayup another Lights are OP thread and a repost of this

Stupidly old video but nothing in this case has really changed...

#27 Samziel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seraph
  • The Seraph
  • 503 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 12 February 2024 - 11:47 PM

Dealing with pesky lights? Use Justshootthefish™. The leading market brand of dealing with light infestations. Research has determined Justshootthefish™ is 100% more effective than its market competitors, Justpanicanddie™ and Gotowhineaboutlightsintheforums™

Very rarely I feel like I've hit a light and it doesnt register.

See you in the next thread OP! Just remember there are semi active mods here who'll likely pick up on that.

Edited by Samziel, 12 February 2024 - 11:49 PM.

#28 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,757 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 13 February 2024 - 04:48 AM

I think a lot of the I can't do damage to lights crowd are using hitscan weapons and are unable to keep a solid burn. Or they just have bad aim with ppfld. Either way its certainly a skill issue.

#29 Alexander of Macedon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 13 February 2024 - 04:53 PM

Bottom line is that if lights were actually overpowered more than 10% of the queue would be playing them at any given time. Pretty much everyone who complains about them suffers from I-can't-aim-itis, an acute form of skill issue.

Edited by Alexander of Macedon, 13 February 2024 - 04:54 PM.

#30 Vonbach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 695 posts

Posted 13 February 2024 - 10:00 PM

Yeah like the times my friend dumps a 60 point alphas right to a light mech's face and just have it turn and walk away.
No issues at all.

#31 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,616 posts

Posted 14 February 2024 - 04:07 AM

View PostVonbach, on 13 February 2024 - 10:00 PM, said:

Yeah like the times my friend dumps a 60 point alphas right to a light mech's face and just have it turn and walk away.
No issues at all.

Even softest mechs in the whole game Pir-2/CI has 138 armor and 102 structure BEFORE skilltree, so why not?

#32 Gasboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 319 posts

Posted 14 February 2024 - 04:19 AM

No issues at all.

To quote somebody on the internet: Pics or it didn't happen.

#33 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,757 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 14 February 2024 - 06:09 AM

No issues at all.

I'll take 'Things I made up to score points in an internats debate' for $500 Alex.

#34 pattonesque

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 14 February 2024 - 06:29 AM

Yeah like the times my friend dumps a 60 point alphas right to a light mech's face and just have it turn and walk away. No issues at all.

your friend either spread damage to multiple components or missed entirely

#35 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 14 February 2024 - 07:07 AM

No issues at all.

Let's assume for a moment you're not throwing random numbers out there to whine and are one hundred percent serious about this. Let's examine this number.

PPFLD weapons - PPCs, Goose Waffles, non-LBX autocannons - generally have fairly low-ish shot damage and are severely limited by ghost heat. Getting a sixty-point PPFLD alpha is close to impossible in this game, at least if you don't want to immediately take a Combat Nap or commit heat seppuku. Even the most dangerous PPFLD alphas - double Heavy Goose, triple Heavy PPC, or similar, don't hit 60 points of damage.

However. DoT or spread builds, such as laservomit or SRM splat, can very easily hit sixty-point numbers. Sixty-point laser alphas are de rigeur on Clan 'Mechs, and even Spheroid laser builds can generally hit 60 if they work at it a bit. Clan 'Mechs with ample tonnage can get 60-point ballistic alphas with HAGs, but HAGs have long burst times that hearken back to the days of Clan release cUACs - they are effectively even more spready than lasers. The only reasonable assumption is that your friend dumped a sixty-point non-PPFLD alpha into a light 'Mech's face.

it takes significant skill for someone to hold a burn over time on a single component of a rapidly moving and evading target while they themselves arer also rapidly moving and evading. Even in tippy-top compy leagues that sort of burn isn't the expected norm (if, primarily, because the target is expected to defensively twist a portion of the damage around). In the Mosh Pit, the average pilot spraying lasers at a fast-moving, madly juking light 'Mech is considered pretty decent if half the burn stays on the light 'Mech at all, and no consideration is given for holding to a single component.

We'll say your friend is uncommonly good and manages to land 45 points of a 60-point laser alpha on the juking light. As Curccu stated, even the softest light 'Mech in MWO has ~20 points of frontal CT armor and ~15 points of frontal ST armor, depending on what the pilot puts where, as well as at least fourteen points of structure in each location, before durability skills. 45 points of laser damage distributed over the entire upper front of the 'Mech - all three torsos and both arms, with a few whiskered points to the face - is indeed insufficient to drop a fully armored Piranha. Hell, even if we assume your friend is phenomenal and manages to hold all sixty points of his burn on the fish, sixty points of burn spread across the whole 'Mech is not likely to drop it. Wound it grievously, yes. Put the fear of Bob into it and convince it to scarper and leave you be, absolutely. But not kill it outright.

SRM/MRM/ATM splat is even less likely to do the job, as there's no way to concentrate missile damage on a single point at all on targets as small as typical light 'Mechs. ATMs are still super dangerous to twigweight lights, but you'd need to fire thirty ATMs at once within their optimal range bracket to get 60 points of damage, which you cannot do without Spooky Heat. And even if you eat the Spooky Heat, not all of those missiles are going to connect. Nature of the weapon system - you always wind up with a few strays. SRMs would also need thirty warheads to reach your stated number of 60 points of damage, and the Ghost Heat tables for SRMs are if anything even more restrictive than they are for ATMs. Firing 30+ SRMs at once will generally cook you like a Christmas goose outside 'Mechs with HSL quirks, which are rare and generally nichey.

Or, to put it more succinctly for the people who hate long posts: no, "your friend" did not dump sixty points of damage into a light 'Mech's face. At best "your friend" dumped fifty-odd damage into a light 'Mech's entire general self, and even a (fully armored) Doomfish can walk away from fifty points of spread-out damage. It won't like it, but it can. Your point is moot.

#36 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,684 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 14 February 2024 - 07:27 AM

No issues at all.

Your friend missed.

#37 GoodTry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 14 February 2024 - 07:31 AM

It's absolutely true, lights are OP against players that have trouble hitting them.

But it's the players, not a bug in the game. Good players can nail light mechs just fine. If you don't believe me, try dropping in a high-div comp match in a light and watch your legs evaporate instantly.

#38 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 14 February 2024 - 07:07 PM

View PostGoodTry, on 14 February 2024 - 07:31 AM, said:

It's absolutely true, lights are OP against players that have trouble hitting them.

But it's the players, not a bug in the game. Good players can nail light mechs just fine. If you don't believe me, try dropping in a high-div comp match in a light and watch your legs evaporate instantly.

Issue though is for the average player to actually aim for the legs, since, ya know, once ONE leg is gone, that mech is now slower and easier to hit. Tis like players complaining not able to get headshots while they are almost always aiming for center mass instead of the cockpit area, where a miss will at least hit the CT Posted Image

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 14 February 2024 - 07:08 PM.

#39 Eider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 540 posts

Posted 15 February 2024 - 12:16 AM

Known issue for years, people make excuses but the fact is the speed plus hitboxes and net essentially give them what i call speed armor. The funny part is damage on them will still count on your final score, yet they might end up perfectly ok on their end. But nah.. its only been years so you still got people defending their crutch.

#40 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,616 posts

Posted 15 February 2024 - 03:49 AM

View PostEider, on 15 February 2024 - 12:16 AM, said:

Known issue for years, people make excuses but the fact is the speed plus hitboxes and net essentially give them what i call speed armor. The funny part is damage on them will still count on your final score, yet they might end up perfectly ok on their end. But nah.. its only been years so you still got people defending their crutch.

Do you have some kind of source/proof to this? This is 1st time I have heard about this.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users