43 replies to this topic

#1 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 20 March 2024 - 06:59 PM

They literally took the thunder out of the thunderbolt lrms.
They need to re-brand them to Blunderbolts.
I could be more specific, but you know why even bother anymore.
Sheeeeesh.

#2 Vonbach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 695 posts

Posted 20 March 2024 - 07:10 PM

View PostNovakaine, on 20 March 2024 - 06:59 PM, said:

They literally took the thunder out of the thunderbolt lrms.
They need to re-brand them to Blunderbolts.
I could be more specific, but you know why even bother anymore.
Sheeeeesh.

Thunder snail missiles.

#3 pattonesque

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 20 March 2024 - 07:23 PM

They’re getting buffed next month

#4 An6ryMan69

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 475 posts

Posted 20 March 2024 - 07:51 PM

Finding them garbage so far. Swapped out three of my best LRM heavies or Assaults into TBolt carriers and basically garbage.

Literally just five minutes ago in my Stalker - found a locust about 300 meters out not knowing I was there whatsoever,standing in the open gawking at somebody else. I hit him with TBolt15x2 and TBolt10x2 rapid fired, and everything I shot slammed right into him as he hadn't yet even moved ... and he just took it and ran off - never even lost a component...just WTF??

Edited by An6ryMan69, 20 March 2024 - 08:01 PM.

#5 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 20 March 2024 - 07:52 PM

Meh. As much as the devs are anti missile/lock on any thing the buff will be some thing weak along the lines of making it the old lrm ms speed. 190m/s is just too dam slow.

#6 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,819 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 20 March 2024 - 08:13 PM

Yeah, like I said in a different post, they took the weight and total damage of the launchers from Tabletop, but totally missed WHY they had those values. In tabletop, an LRM 20 does 6-20 points of damage to random parts of the target, divided into 5 point lots. The Thunderbolt 20 does 20 points to a single location. For that you pay a tonnage premium much like an autocannon, as it really is a superior weapon both in terms of damage done and spread.

Here we’re paying the tonnage tax, but it’s divided into 5 point shots so it spreads damage to 2-3 locations. It’s not a superior weapon, and it’s still 1/3 heavier than an LRM. Combined with the current state of lock on weapons, its substandard right out of the box.

so yeah, they copied the values from Lore, but they totally missed the reason for those values.

#7 An6ryMan69

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 475 posts

Posted 20 March 2024 - 08:21 PM

They either need global perks (cause they are strong at nothing), or one significant perk to make them different in a good way from LRM's or ATM's

Maybe if they became MWO's first fire-and-forget missile their gimpy range and speed and heat might be overlooked, for example.

#8 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,608 posts

Posted 21 March 2024 - 04:39 AM

Spectated some folks using Tbolt missiles and I couldn't help but their visuals look like cotton balls to me Posted Image

#9 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 21 March 2024 - 05:05 AM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 21 March 2024 - 04:39 AM, said:

Spectated some folks using Tbolt missiles and I couldn't help but their visuals look like cotton balls to me Posted Image

Cotton balls on fire with about same amount of damagePosted Image

#10 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 21 March 2024 - 06:22 AM

Supposedly Thunderbolts inflict heavy screen shake upon striking, equivalent to a Gauss shot. I'm...not sure that's enough of a perk to get over the fact that they're five-damage warheads that are FOR SOME DAMN REASON super vulnerable to AMS with slow travel speed, dodgy range, and ungodly weight. I want Thunders to be good, but man. The poor things are gonna need some tweaks. Fortunately I'm one of the six or so people in the forum that remembers the Cauldron exists and we'll be seeing a whole lotta numbers tweaks in the months ahead. Sound design is on point for the things though, I'll give 'em that.

#11 Ken Harkin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 336 posts
  • LocationLong Island, New York, USA

Posted 21 March 2024 - 07:08 AM

What ScrapIron Prime said. I took a couple heavies and assaults into the testing grounds and was shocked at how crappy they performed. I was far better off throwing 2 LRM20+A at a target direct fire than messing around with the 2 TB15s (thanks to the tonnage differences). What a piece of crap.

#12 Lajur Kas

• PipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 77 posts
  • LocationOrestes Rally Point

Posted 21 March 2024 - 07:23 AM

Only a couple games to reference. The Thanatos hero with an arm full of small launchers outperformed dual 20's (on the Orion hero). Felt like a matter of cooldown more than anything else.

#13 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 21 March 2024 - 07:43 AM

I honestly think cooldown might be a good lever to try with these things. if you're gonna have direct face-stare lock-on missiles that move slow and are way too damned heavy for their moderate-at-best damage, let them have significantly higher total DPS/throughput than LRMs or Streaks. Make it (as much as possible) worth it to try and hold locks with these damn things, since we don't have the engineering resources to do fire-and-forget.

#14 Duke Falcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 888 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 21 March 2024 - 08:38 AM

After the *cough* interpretation of Thunderbolts ingame, well, I wonder what they may do with Arrows?!?
The only good thing about Thunderbolts that you not need to worry about them... And they looks cute little cotton balls :)

#15 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,795 posts

Posted 21 March 2024 - 10:33 AM

View PostVonbach, on 20 March 2024 - 07:10 PM, said:

Thunder snail missiles.

Unless I have missed something, it seems to me that TB missile is the slowest missile in MWO (not counting indirectly fired LRMs).

#16 Ken Harkin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 336 posts
  • LocationLong Island, New York, USA

Posted 22 March 2024 - 06:14 AM

Trying them in game and I found they go though their ammo FAST. Seriously, 3 tons of ammo for a TB20 and I went through them all FAST. Combined with a BLC and 4 ERML on a Marauder and as the last one left I managed 500 damage. They are simply underwhelming for what they cost. To hell with the lore, that left long ago, make these things worth mounting. Make them something like an IS version of the ATM.

#17 Gakuseinozen

• PipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 55 posts

Posted 22 March 2024 - 07:35 AM

As others have been saying, they would be worth the tonnage investment if they fired a single missile - regardless of the launcher "size". The launcher should determine the damage done by the (single) missile fired, not the number of missiles.

Additionally, the missile health should be proportionate to their LRM equivalent. Specifically, a Thunderbolt 5 missile should have 5 times the health as a single LRM; a Thunderbolt 10 missile should have 10 times as much health as a single LRM, and so on.

Edit: It would also be great if a new projectile was modeled for Thunderbolts, instead of just using the LRM model. I want to see a huge missile flying towards the target, and ideally a larger explosion as well.

Edited by Gakuseinozen, 22 March 2024 - 07:37 AM.

#18 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,795 posts

Posted 22 March 2024 - 10:44 PM

View PostGakuseinozen, on 22 March 2024 - 07:35 AM, said:

Edit: It would also be great if a new projectile was modeled for Thunderbolts, instead of just using the LRM model. I want to see a huge missile flying towards the target, and ideally a larger explosion as well.

PGI / Cauldron are re-using all game assets as much as they can.

#19 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,819 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 23 March 2024 - 07:04 AM

Honestly it would be better if they'd increase the velocity to that of streaks and make them fire and track like streaks. No indirect, we have LRMs for that. Technically.

#20 caravann

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 383 posts

Posted 23 March 2024 - 03:06 PM

You're all jealous that a Dervish with Thunderbolts can run at 100kph with LRM as backup weapon.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users