111 replies to this topic

#21 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,279 posts

Posted 20 April 2024 - 02:15 AM

View PostDran Dragore, on 19 April 2024 - 11:34 PM, said:

hmm. Feels like the Black Hawk will be a Glass Cannon. Not enough Quirks for protecting the weak XL Engine. But lets see...

View PostYami No Tenshi, on 20 April 2024 - 01:04 AM, said:

imo black hawk armour quirks are fine it's an inner sphere 60 tonner with the armour of a 60 tonner with those quirks on top of that and the hitboxes of the nova with decent mobility as well so it's survivability should be completely fine

View PostLapisMaddog, on 20 April 2024 - 01:06 AM, said:

It doesn't need more then it already has most mechs can do well with XL even assaults, I and a lot of really good players XL all of their Lights, 90%+ of mediums and probably half of IS heavies
Just for the record, the Clan Black Hawk has just +10 structure quirk on its side torsos. So +15 structure and +7 armor on the Black Hawk-KU is a quite significant boost.

I would like to list the quirks of some similar 'Mechs, so you can see what bonus protection they have on their side torso:
  • Catapult "Jester" ...just +6 structure
  • Champion ... +10 armor
  • Dragon / Grand Dragon ... +20 armor
  • Quickdraw ... +10 armor ("Desperada" has just +6 armor)
  • Hellfire ... +12 armor
  • Linebacker ... +11 armor
As you can see, the Dragon has got some significent quirks, but the Black Hawk-KU is not much worse.

Let us wait and see how the 'Mech works in the live game.

#22 Arkhangel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 20 April 2024 - 02:21 AM

Thing people are also missing is this is a heavy that's going to be VERY mobile.

TBH most people who die to IS XL kills in short order have no @#$%ing idea how to do stuff like torso twisting. The entire *point* of having an XL is increased mobility and firepower. If you're not utilizing both, you deserve the asskicking you receive.

For the record, I've piloted an XL Centurion for years, and several times I've had enemy pilots go "How the @#$% is that Centurion still alive?" Reason why? I know how to Torso twist and DODGE. Not stand there like a turret moron. Turret morons aren't MechWarriors. They're turrets, and may as well not have engines at all.

The Blackhawk-KU and other XL IS Omnis are going to be just fine in the hands of competent pilots. Just not in the hands of inept TurretWarriors.

Edited by Arkhangel, 20 April 2024 - 02:21 AM.

#23 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,279 posts

Posted 20 April 2024 - 02:35 AM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 19 April 2024 - 08:43 PM, said:

Also, I'm guessing the size of this mech will be along the lines of the Catapult. If it's bigger than that, it might cause problems with survivability.

View PostYami No Tenshi, on 20 April 2024 - 12:58 AM, said:

It's gonna be the same size as a normal nova

I created this compound image. Click on the thumbnail to see the full-size picture, please::

Posted Image

You can see the Black Hawk (already in the game) and the Black Hawk-KU (to be added the next week).

As you can see, PGI added just one rectangular box on the side of the torso and one rectangular box on the top of the torso. Then they slapped three sets of pipes on the 'Mech. Adding a small box on the leg and adjusting the shape of the knee pad more or less completed the job.

A significant part of those extra 10 tons ended up in those irremovable boxes.

#24 Dran Dragore

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Force Commander
  • Force Commander
  • 149 posts

Posted 20 April 2024 - 03:09 AM

View Postmartian, on 20 April 2024 - 02:15 AM, said:

Just for the record, the Clan Black Hawk has just +10 structure quirk on its side torsos. So +15 structure and +7 armor on the Black Hawk-KU is a quite significant boost.

I would like to list the quirks of some similar 'Mechs, so you can see what bonus protection they have on their side torso:
  • Catapult "Jester" ...just +6 structure
  • Champion ... +10 armor
  • Dragon / Grand Dragon ... +20 armor
  • Quickdraw ... +10 armor ("Desperada" has just +6 armor)
  • Hellfire ... +12 armor
  • Linebacker ... +11 armor
As you can see, the Dragon has got some significent quirks, but the Black Hawk-KU is not much worse.

Let us wait and see how the 'Mech works in the live game.

well yes. But in the named Mechs you can switch the Engine to a much more comfortable Light engine or it has an Clan XL Engine. Additional you are unable to place in Ferro or Endo if it is simmilar to Clan Omnis.

So you have to use the IS XL Engine.

We will see, maybe i am wrong and the mech perform better than on the paper. Anyway, i like the designs of IS Omnis realy. The Avatar or the Hauptmann will be a beauty

#25 Haman Karn

• PipPip
  • Driven
  • Driven
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 April 2024 - 03:21 AM

Looks like some nice wepaon changes.

I wish the ASN-DD would get a little more love. Such a fun mech but really no point putting anyhting ballistic on it. Maybe some extra missile ammo though.

Edited by Haman Karn, 20 April 2024 - 03:24 AM.

#26 Hawk819

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,697 posts
  • Location666 Werewolf Lane. Transylvania, Romania Ph#: Transylvania 6-5000

Posted 20 April 2024 - 05:00 AM

The wish I would love to see on the BHKU is more arms for more variants.

i.e., Missile and Energy mix, etc.

That way we can have serious fun.

I'm already got one in mind like the Nova S. Pulse Lasers. And no, not the X's. Those are way too hot and ghost heated to the extreme.

#27 Brownshweiger4

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 April 2024 - 05:01 AM

New mech is just pay to win with -60% cooldown and -50% jam chance quirks. It does close to 50 dps with 2xUAC-5 and have also +400% ammo quirk.
Beam lasers now just pointless and have no any use. X-pulses at least can be used in count to do damage, beams damage capped by just 12 and thats it.

Edited by Brownshweiger4, 20 April 2024 - 05:02 AM.

#28 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,279 posts

Posted 20 April 2024 - 05:01 AM

View PostDran Dragore, on 20 April 2024 - 03:09 AM, said:

well yes. But in the named Mechs you can switch the Engine to a much more comfortable Light engine or it has an Clan XL Engine.

So you have to use the IS XL Engine.
All those listed heavies have quite viable XL-engined loadouts, so I expect that you can devise some functional loadout on the Black Hawk-KU too.

Additional you are unable to place in Ferro or Endo if it is simmilar to Clan Omnis.
The Black Hawk-KU uses standard chassis and standard armor.

We will see, maybe i am wrong and the mech perform better than on the paper. Anyway, i like the designs of IS Omnis realy. The Avatar or the Hauptmann will be a beauty
Any problem can be solved with the generous use of quirks. Posted Image

#29 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,279 posts

Posted 20 April 2024 - 05:19 AM

View PostHawk819, on 20 April 2024 - 05:00 AM, said:

The wish I would love to see on the BHKU is more arms for more variants.

i.e., Missile and Energy mix, etc.

That way we can have serious fun.

You could use this Left arm OmniPod:

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 19 April 2024 - 07:57 PM, said:

BHKU-OD LEFT ARM
  • 2 missile
  • Armor +20
  • Missile Ammo +200%
  • Missile Cooldown -25%
  • Missile Spread -15%
Extra armored OmniPods with generous cooldown and ammo quirks ... You can use the right arm to boat multiple lasers.

View PostHawk819, on 20 April 2024 - 05:00 AM, said:

I'm already got one in mind like the Nova S. Pulse Lasers. And no, not the X's. Those are way too hot and ghost heated to the extreme.
Do not worry. After all, the original Clan Black Hawk got its missile-carrying variants eventually, Hero 'Mech included.

Edited by martian, 20 April 2024 - 05:20 AM.

#30 Meep Meep

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,911 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 20 April 2024 - 06:18 AM

Super stingy with the mag/ap gauss ammo quirks I see...

Thunderbolt buffs along with the ecm lock time buff are going to be rather interesting to see play out. Thunderbolts are already situationally very strong. This is going to make a few fits supah troll.

#31 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,880 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 20 April 2024 - 06:20 AM

View PostCorporal Adrian Shephard, on 20 April 2024 - 12:38 AM, said:

about ppc, are you serious!? it needs to be nerfed in turn, first they removed the zero damage at point-blank range, now reduce the heat and increase the velocity, this weapon already hits the point without smearing the damage, does not require ammunition and has a long range

The heat reduction is on the standard IS PPC, the velocity increase is on the IS ERPPC. Two different weapons. And the regular PPC needed this, because nobody uses 3 PPC anymore when they can use 2 HPPC for less tonnage.

#32 RoyKilroy

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 April 2024 - 06:58 AM

what is the price on the black hawk package?

#33 Matt Newman

Live Ops Manager

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 20 April 2024 - 08:26 AM

View PostRoyKilroy, on 20 April 2024 - 06:58 AM, said:

what is the price on the black hawk package?

Blackhawk Pack will be 20 USD on the MWO Webstore
It will also be available on Steam for 19.99 USD or whatever that converts to in your region.

#34 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,279 posts

Posted 20 April 2024 - 08:58 AM

View PostMatt Newman, on 20 April 2024 - 08:26 AM, said:

Blackhawk Pack will be 20 USD on the MWO Webstore
It will also be available on Steam for 19.99 USD or whatever that converts to in your region.
Could you post some size comparison the way you used to do?

Something like this?

Posted Image

So that we know how bigger or smaller the Black Hawk-KU is in comparison with other 'Mechs?

#35 diecrazycarl

Rookie

• The Forbidden
  • The Forbidden
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 April 2024 - 09:02 AM

What mechs are going to be on sale post patch?

#36 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,279 posts

Posted 20 April 2024 - 09:15 AM

View Postdiecrazycarl, on 20 April 2024 - 09:02 AM, said:

What mechs are going to be on sale post patch?
Why do you think that there is going to be any sale? Posted Image

But seriously, usually 'Mechs with changed quirks are on sale. So possibly Arctic Cheetah, Jenner IIC, Ice Ferret and Orion IIC. UrbanMech IIC and Longbow are quite new, so they will probably not be included in the sale.

#37 diecrazycarl

Rookie

• The Forbidden
  • The Forbidden
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 April 2024 - 09:23 AM

View Postmartian, on 20 April 2024 - 09:15 AM, said:

Why do you think that there is going to be any sale? Posted Image

But seriously, usually 'Mechs with changed quirks are on sale. So possibly Arctic Cheetah, Jenner IIC, Ice Ferret and Orion IIC. UrbanMech IIC and Longbow are quite new, so they will probably not be included in the sale.

That’s what I am hoping, but haven’t seen anything official.

#38 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,673 posts

Posted 20 April 2024 - 09:57 AM

View Postmartian, on 19 April 2024 - 10:36 PM, said:

You are wrong:

"As for the other Mechwarrior 3 mechs: Black Hawk KU and Perseus would later be renamed into the Nova and Orion respectively."

MechWarrior 3 had no Black Hawk-KU and no Perseus.

MechWarrior 3 had Black Hawk (Clan) and Orion (Inner Sphere).

Therefore, it was impossible to rename "Black Hawk KU and Perseus into the Nova and Orion respectively".

I admit that I got my words mixed up. I should have clarified it better.

What I meant to say was that Technical Readout: 3058 came out in 1995, 4 years before Mechwarrior 3. As where Field Manual: Free Worlds League (which had the Perseus) came out in 1997, 2 years before MW3.

Mechwarrior 3 did use the Perseus and Black Hawk KU artworks as inspiration for the Orion and Black Hawk (aka Nova) for their game. But I referred to it as the Nova since I had that on the mind, which was my bad. Still, when you do a side by side comparison of the in-game models and the books, you can see where Mechwarrior 3's inspiration comes from:
Posted Image

Posted Image

#39 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,279 posts

Posted 20 April 2024 - 11:01 AM

View PostWill9761, on 20 April 2024 - 09:57 AM, said:

I admit that I got my words mixed up. I should have clarified it better.

What I meant to say was that Technical Readout: 3058 came out in 1995, 4 years before Mechwarrior 3. As where Field Manual: Free Worlds League (which had the Perseus) came out in 1997, 2 years before MW3.

Mechwarrior 3 did use the Perseus and Black Hawk KU artworks as inspiration for the Orion and Black Hawk (aka Nova) for their game. But I referred to it as the Nova since I had that on the mind, which was my bad. Still, when you do a side by side comparison of the in-game models and the books, you can see where Mechwarrior 3's inspiration comes from:
Posted Image

Posted Image

No, you are still wrong.

See the picture.

The MechWarrior 3 Black Hawk was a strange mix of the original Black Hawk and the Black Hawk-KU elements. For example, it had the Black Hawk-KU's arms, but the conspicuous "hood" above the cockpit was angled forward, just like the original Clan Black Hawk had.

Posted Image

As for that supposed Perseus ...

Posted Image

You can compare the MechWarrior 3 Orion with the picture of the ON1-M Orion from Technical Readout: 3050. As you can see, it has got all elements of the Orion:
  • missile racks
  • prominent cockpit with that conspicuous vertical framing
  • autocannon in the right torso
  • a pair of antennas
  • blocky legs
  • straight feet
The MechWarrior 3 model misses some very typical Perseus parts:
  • no head-mounted laser
  • no chest-mounted SRMs
  • no leg-mounted lasers
  • no pointed feet
  • that MW3 'Mech has RT-mounted autocannon, while Perseus carries its Ultra-10 in the right arm
  • etc.
So no, Mechwarrior 3 did not use the Perseus as inspiration. MechWarrior 3 has a quite accurate model of the ON1-M Orion.

#40 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,673 posts

Posted 20 April 2024 - 11:09 AM

View Postmartian, on 20 April 2024 - 11:01 AM, said:

No, you are still wrong.

See the picture.

The MechWarrior 3 Black Hawk was a strange mix of the original Black Hawk and the Black Hawk-KU elements. For example, it had the Black Hawk-KU's arms, but the conspicuous "hood" above the cockpit was angled forward, just like the original Clan Black Hawk had.

Posted Image

As for that supposed Perseus ...

Posted Image

You can compare the MechWarrior 3 Orion with the picture of the ON1-M Orion from Technical Readout: 3050. As you can see, it has got all elements of the Orion:
  • missile racks
  • prominent cockpit with that conspicuous vertical framing
  • autocannon in the right torso
  • a pair of antennas
  • blocky legs
  • straight feet
The MechWarrior 3 model misses some very typical Perseus parts:
  • no head-mounted laser
  • no chest-mounted SRMs
  • no leg-mounted lasers
  • no pointed feet
  • that MW3 'Mech has RT-mounted autocannon, while Perseus carries its Ultra-10 in the right arm
  • etc.
So no, Mechwarrior 3 did not use the Perseus as inspiration. MechWarrior 3 has a quite accurate model of the ON1-M Orion.

I see, I thought the Perseus was used as an inspiration for the Mechwarrior 3 version of the Orion due to the similiar art of the two. Ok, thanks for clearing that up.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users