98 replies to this topic

#41 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,880 posts

Posted 20 April 2024 - 11:01 AM

View PostWill9761, on 20 April 2024 - 09:57 AM, said:

I admit that I got my words mixed up. I should have clarified it better.

What I meant to say was that Technical Readout: 3058 came out in 1995, 4 years before Mechwarrior 3. As where Field Manual: Free Worlds League (which had the Perseus) came out in 1997, 2 years before MW3.

Mechwarrior 3 did use the Perseus and Black Hawk KU artworks as inspiration for the Orion and Black Hawk (aka Nova) for their game. But I referred to it as the Nova since I had that on the mind, which was my bad. Still, when you do a side by side comparison of the in-game models and the books, you can see where Mechwarrior 3's inspiration comes from:
Posted Image

Posted Image

No, you are still wrong.

See the picture.

The MechWarrior 3 Black Hawk was a strange mix of the original Black Hawk and the Black Hawk-KU elements. For example, it had the Black Hawk-KU's arms, but the conspicuous "hood" above the cockpit was angled forward, just like the original Clan Black Hawk had.

Posted Image

As for that supposed Perseus ...

Posted Image

You can compare the MechWarrior 3 Orion with the picture of the ON1-M Orion from Technical Readout: 3050. As you can see, it has got all elements of the Orion:
  • missile racks
  • prominent cockpit with that conspicuous vertical framing
  • autocannon in the right torso
  • a pair of antennas
  • blocky legs
  • straight feet
The MechWarrior 3 model misses some very typical Perseus parts:
  • no head-mounted laser
  • no chest-mounted SRMs
  • no leg-mounted lasers
  • no pointed feet
  • that MW3 'Mech has RT-mounted autocannon, while Perseus carries its Ultra-10 in the right arm
  • etc.
So no, Mechwarrior 3 did not use the Perseus as inspiration. MechWarrior 3 has a quite accurate model of the ON1-M Orion.

#42 Will9761

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,591 posts

Posted 20 April 2024 - 11:09 AM

View Postmartian, on 20 April 2024 - 11:01 AM, said:

No, you are still wrong.

See the picture.

The MechWarrior 3 Black Hawk was a strange mix of the original Black Hawk and the Black Hawk-KU elements. For example, it had the Black Hawk-KU's arms, but the conspicuous "hood" above the cockpit was angled forward, just like the original Clan Black Hawk had.

Posted Image

As for that supposed Perseus ...

Posted Image

You can compare the MechWarrior 3 Orion with the picture of the ON1-M Orion from Technical Readout: 3050. As you can see, it has got all elements of the Orion:
  • missile racks
  • prominent cockpit with that conspicuous vertical framing
  • autocannon in the right torso
  • a pair of antennas
  • blocky legs
  • straight feet
The MechWarrior 3 model misses some very typical Perseus parts:
  • no head-mounted laser
  • no chest-mounted SRMs
  • no leg-mounted lasers
  • no pointed feet
  • that MW3 'Mech has RT-mounted autocannon, while Perseus carries its Ultra-10 in the right arm
  • etc.
So no, Mechwarrior 3 did not use the Perseus as inspiration. MechWarrior 3 has a quite accurate model of the ON1-M Orion.

I see, I thought the Perseus was used as an inspiration for the Mechwarrior 3 version of the Orion due to the similiar art of the two. Ok, thanks for clearing that up.

#43 Far Reach

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 136 posts

Posted 20 April 2024 - 11:13 AM

Lol @ the massive quirk rollbacks.

#44 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,880 posts

Posted 20 April 2024 - 11:15 AM

View PostWill9761, on 20 April 2024 - 11:09 AM, said:

I see, I thought the Perseus was used as an inspiration for the Mechwarrior 3 version of the Orion due to the similiar art of the two. Ok, thanks for clearing that up.
You are welcome. Posted Image

View Postdiecrazycarl, on 20 April 2024 - 09:23 AM, said:

That’s what I am hoping, but haven’t seen anything official.
Well, I guess that you can start thinking what 'Mech(s) you would buy. Posted Image

Edited by martian, 20 April 2024 - 11:19 AM.

#45 PraetorGix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 740 posts
  • LocationHere at home

Posted 20 April 2024 - 11:36 AM

I like the inclusion of store changes/updates lately.
Also, completely agree about the APG/Magshot ammo policy, there is a noticeable thirst for ammo when using those weapons and it's mostly OK as a balancing measure. I think the ammo bins are a bit low as a default though, a 10% increase in shots per ton would be good in general. Also, good to see the lock on time under ECM being brought to non ludicrous amounts.

#46 PraetorGix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 740 posts
  • LocationHere at home

Posted 20 April 2024 - 11:41 AM

View PostArkhangel, on 20 April 2024 - 02:21 AM, said:

TBH most people who die to IS XL kills in short order have no @#$%ing idea how to do stuff like torso twisting. The entire *point* of having an XL is increased mobility and firepower. If you're not utilizing both, you deserve the asskicking you receive.

View PostLapisMaddog, on 20 April 2024 - 01:06 AM, said:

It doesn't need more then it already has most mechs can do well with XL even assaults, I and a lot of really good players XL all of their Lights, 90%+ of mediums and probably half of IS heavies

Good to see someone else pointing this out. I always hear bitching about XL's on reddit, or Discord or even from some youtubers, like IS XLs were ticking bombs and lately with the IS omnis this became trending again. And I honestly don't see it, I'm an average player and use XLs for anything (I also play all my brawling Centurions with XLs LOL) except the obvious barn doors; and yeah I have been punished for it but not as badly as all the online discourse implies.

Edited by PraetorGix, 20 April 2024 - 11:44 AM.

#47 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,703 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 20 April 2024 - 12:41 PM

View PostBrownshweiger4, on 20 April 2024 - 05:01 AM, said:

New mech is just pay to win with -60% cooldown and -50% jam chance quirks. It does close to 50 dps with 2xUAC-5 and have also +400% ammo quirk.
Beam lasers now just pointless and have no any use. X-pulses at least can be used in count to do damage, beams damage capped by just 12 and thats it.

The mech will have the hitboxes of the Nova without CXL survivability, severely constrained tonnage and be stuck fielding IS weaponry and IS heat sinks, plus locked Standard Internal Structure you won't be able to change (edit: this one is funny... the TRO and Sarna say it uses Endosteel, but the tonnage and slots add up with Standard Structure instead). And you are not putting 2xUAC-5 on it, because it will have only 17 tons of payload space to work with.

Edited by Horseman, 20 April 2024 - 12:50 PM.

#48 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,880 posts

Posted 20 April 2024 - 01:03 PM

View PostHorseman, on 20 April 2024 - 12:41 PM, said:

The mech will have the hitboxes of the Nova without CXL survivability, severely constrained tonnage and be stuck fielding IS weaponry and IS heat sinks, plus locked Standard Internal Structure you won't be able to change (edit: this one is funny... the TRO and Sarna say it uses Endosteel, but the tonnage and slots add up with Standard Structure instead). And you are not putting 2xUAC-5 on it, because it will have only 17 tons of payload space to work with.
The Black Hawk-KU uses standard chassis and standard armor.

#49 Cheeks Akimbo

• PipPip
  • The Revolutionary
  • The Revolutionary
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 April 2024 - 01:35 PM

Between the buff for Thunderbolts and the debuff for ECM lock on they might be "alright" now, plus streaks might also be more usable!

Somewhat questioning the need to buff IS ERPPC, while beam changes should work great for how I use them.

Also I thought Mags and AP would be using MG quirks? Might have missed the conversation on that one though.

#50 Steel Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 20 April 2024 - 02:47 PM

Not bad but getting a little tired of seeing ECM nerfs every other patch. Just tells me to use my AMS mechs more.

#51 rascje

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 441 posts

Posted 21 April 2024 - 04:59 AM

CLAN PROTO AUTOCANNON 4
Increased range to 540 meters (from 450)

CLAN PROTO AUTOCANNON 8
Increased range to 360 meters (from 270)

Question:
Will it also affect the maximum range?

#52 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,880 posts

Posted 21 April 2024 - 05:20 AM

View Postrascje, on 21 April 2024 - 04:59 AM, said:

CLAN PROTO AUTOCANNON 4
Increased range to 540 meters (from 450)

CLAN PROTO AUTOCANNON 8
Increased range to 360 meters (from 270)

Question:
Will it also affect the maximum range?
Yes, it will.

#53 Lee Cross

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 April 2024 - 06:06 AM

Fixed hero MC prices for Crael and Bolt (we won’t be retroactively changing any purchases or taking away MC for players who bought these at a discount)

So, their price would scale with tonnage now(same with other battlemech with same tonnage)?

#54 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,880 posts

Posted 21 April 2024 - 08:22 AM

View PostLee Cross, on 21 April 2024 - 06:06 AM, said:

Fixed hero MC prices for Crael and Bolt (we won’t be retroactively changing any purchases or taking away MC for players who bought these at a discount)

So, their price would scale with tonnage now(same with other battlemech with same tonnage)?
Maybe. We will see on Tuesday.

#55 Hawk819

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,626 posts
  • Location666 Werewolf Lane. Transylvania, Romania Ph#: Transylvania 6-5000

Posted 21 April 2024 - 09:38 AM

No other variants of the Black Hawk-KU has AMS. Only the A variant, so if PGI is willing. Please add the Torsos of A variant. Please.

#56 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,880 posts

Posted 21 April 2024 - 10:27 AM

View PostHawk819, on 21 April 2024 - 09:38 AM, said:

No other variants of the Black Hawk-KU has AMS. Only the A variant, so if PGI is willing. Please add the Torsos of A variant. Please.
Almost all MWO 'Mechs can be equipped with at least one AMS. It is possible that the primary configuration will also sport at least one AMS hardpoint.

#57 Hawk819

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,626 posts
  • Location666 Werewolf Lane. Transylvania, Romania Ph#: Transylvania 6-5000

Posted 21 April 2024 - 01:17 PM

View Postmartian, on 21 April 2024 - 10:27 AM, said:

Almost all MWO 'Mechs can be equipped with at least one AMS. It is possible that the primary configuration will also sport at least one AMS hardpoint.

Well, nothing was said in the patch notes, and AFAIK, TiyOs has said nothing on the matter. But I left him a message on Discord about it.

All it is is torso hardpoints. Other than the Primary that has one Energy HP in each torso. However, you may be right, but then again, who knows. We'll just have to wait and see come Tuesday.

Edited by Hawk819, 21 April 2024 - 01:17 PM.

#58 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 21 April 2024 - 02:09 PM

where is the fix for the incorrect in game volume levels for the new weapons? They are radically louder than existing equipment.

#59 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,666 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 21 April 2024 - 02:52 PM

View PostLapisMaddog, on 20 April 2024 - 01:06 AM, said:

It doesn't need more then it already has most mechs can do well with XL even assaults, I and a lot of really good players XL all of their Lights, 90%+ of mediums and probably half of IS heavies

It does not mean that PGI could not have removed the flag that destroyed an XL mech with the loss of the 1st ST sitting at or near 0 heat, especially since they did not incorporate many of the boardgame rules into this FPS with Pin point accuracy, whereas the boardgame used dice to determine hit/miss for EACH weapon, both the standard game and Solaris ruleset.

At this point of the game, PGI could remove the instant death flag and add it as a 45-50% heat/movement penalties, then drop cXL/LFE to 25%-30% heat/movement penalties, though I would like more deferential between cXL and LFE

isXL 45% Engine loss heat capacity / x% loss heat dissipation / 45% movement
cXL 25-30% Engine loss heat capacity/ x% loss heat dissipation / 25% movement
LFE 15-20% Engine loss heat capacity/ x% loss heat dissipation / 15% movement

And Quirks come/go/up/down, whereas a change in how the engines are handled could have the potential to increase IS Omni sales, as well bring back players who were mostly IS faction players saturated with XL engines. And how often when XL were introduced that chat had players calling out, target specific ST for XL check? More so when CW/FP went live.

MWO 300 engine rating
XL- 9.5(engine) + 3 (cockpit) + 3 (gyro) = 15.5 tons
LFE - 14.5 + 3 + 3 - 20.5 tons
STD - 19.0 + 3 + 3 = 25 tons

250 engine rating
XL = 12.5 tons
LFE = 15.5 tons
STD = 18.5 tons

325 engine rating
XL = 19 tons
LFE = 25 tons
STD = 30.5 tons

#60 Lee Cross

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 April 2024 - 04:42 PM

View PostLee Cross, on 21 April 2024 - 06:06 AM, said:

Also, there is no plan about price rise on Sunspider Ambush? I though it's one of those 'mistake pricing' thing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users