88 replies to this topic

#1 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,724 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 21 August 2024 - 05:17 PM

So PGI let's breath some like into this old gal.
Pure unadulterated stock mode.
Any thoughts?

#2 Khale MacGregor

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 55 posts

Posted 21 August 2024 - 05:36 PM

Hell yes!... Or better yet! Stock mode during closed beta era!

#3 Samziel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seraph
  • The Seraph
  • 536 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 21 August 2024 - 11:35 PM

I wasnt around back then but I've heard the 2018 WC (stock only) was not liked. I dont think most people would play it for long.

Also it would be wildly imbalanced. Even without clan mechs or legends there are plenty of canon IS variants with good builds and upgrades. It would definitely need a heavy restriction for mechs, like the beta one. But taking away most of the mechs aint gonna get much popularity.

You can already play stock mode in custom lobbies btw. Maybe it could be used inside an EQ event for few cycles, but I dont think it would have players for the entire event.

Edited by Samziel, 21 August 2024 - 11:36 PM.

#4 crazytimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 22 August 2024 - 12:48 AM

Better yet- tabletop mode! They could make some kind of offline turn based mode where you could play it without a computer with like minatures and stuff! That would be so fun and unique.

#5 ajikeshi

Rookie

• Staff Sergeant
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 August 2024 - 01:56 AM

how about BV2 mode then... just balance the teams by their Mech BV, that should work reasonably well with stock mechs, but horribly break with the current meta builds (which would be more like 2-4 times the BV of stock mechs)

#6 AnAnachronismAlive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 443 posts

Posted 22 August 2024 - 03:33 AM

The last stock mode championship was pretty ill received and did not offer a lot of mech-variety either IIRC (since most potent variants got picked all over the place). So kinda unsure, if a(nother) stock mode WC would offer the "fresh air" the OP hopes for.

Edited by AnAnachronismAlive, 22 August 2024 - 03:34 AM.

#7 VeeOt Dragon

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,206 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 22 August 2024 - 04:30 AM

i wouldn't mind seeing it as an option for Event Que. have a Stock Mode one day or weekend event (perhaps tossing in a few of the other interesting variables they can do with EQ to shift things around over the week end)

seriously they talked up EQ so much when they first released it but they hardly ever use it now. there should be something going on in there every weekend even if its just something silly like Unlimited JJ Urbie Durby or other bonkers ****.

hall back in the day i used to do Private Lobby stuff with a youtuber (he doesn't do youtube stuff anymore) one of the things we did a LOT of was Stock Build matches and it was quite fun.

Edited by VeeOt Dragon, 22 August 2024 - 04:30 AM.

#8 Hawk819

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,679 posts
  • Location666 Werewolf Lane. Transylvania, Romania Ph#: Transylvania 6-5000

Posted 22 August 2024 - 08:20 AM

I'd love a stock mode but with all the damn non-stock builds running amok in the game. I just don't see it happening. It's been asked for in the past and got shot down. Y'never know. Maybe it will.

#9 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,061 posts

Posted 22 August 2024 - 08:24 AM

i could see it as an event queue thing. then its not compulsory.

but some legendary mechs would dominate it easy.

Edited by LordNothing, 22 August 2024 - 08:28 AM.

#10 VeeOt Dragon

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,206 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 22 August 2024 - 07:54 PM

just ban the legendaries from it. hell do no legendaries no heroes for that matter.

#11 Besh

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 August 2024 - 12:05 AM

View PostSamziel, on 21 August 2024 - 11:35 PM, said:

I wasnt around back then but I've heard the 2018 WC (stock only) was not liked. I dont think most people would play it for long.

Also it would be wildly imbalanced. Even without clan mechs or legends there are plenty of canon IS variants with good builds and upgrades. It would definitely need a heavy restriction for mechs, like the beta one. But taking away most of the mechs aint gonna get much popularity.

You can already play stock mode in custom lobbies btw. Maybe it could be used inside an EQ event for few cycles, but I dont think it would have players for the entire event.

Yeah, I am wondering for years why the Stockmode Fans just don't create a Stock mode Tournament and see how its going ?

#12 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,736 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 23 August 2024 - 11:34 AM

Just ask Daeron for another Stock Mode Event.

#13 East Indy

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,240 posts
  • LocationPacifica Training School, waiting for BakPhar shares to rise

Posted 23 August 2024 - 11:42 AM

I played pickup games of honor-system stock mode almost a decade ago.

Quirks would really make variants shine this time, but what I remember most was how ammunition-fed weapons would run out and the game would come down to grapples with medium lasers. It was a lot of fun.

View PostSamziel, on 21 August 2024 - 11:35 PM, said:

the 2018 WC (stock only) was not liked

Not liked by whom? A fraction of a fraction of the population who metachase no matter what.

#14 RockmachinE

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 24 August 2024 - 06:38 AM

I agree with the idea of it being in EQ.

It seems like one of those things that would be fun for a short time, but would get boring rather quick, also quite imbalanced. The beauty of MWO is being able to mix and match and the infinite number of permutations the game offers.

I don't think it would be very popular, but we should go for it and do a few stock events. Why not.

#15 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,736 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 24 August 2024 - 12:16 PM

View PostEast Indy, on 23 August 2024 - 11:42 AM, said:

Not liked by whom? A fraction of a fraction of the population who metachase no matter what.
Not liked by the audience either, including the "beer and pretzels" casuals Russ was hoping to attract with it

#16 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,925 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 24 August 2024 - 12:30 PM

View PostHorseman, on 24 August 2024 - 12:16 PM, said:

Not liked by the audience either, including the "beer and pretzels" casuals Russ was hoping to attract with it

Ah yes, Russ' "beer league" effort. Stock mode WC was suppose to entice all us casual players to finally get interested in comp play. Yeah that worked /s. Take away the mech lab and play with builds that have 24 points of back armor in each torso and single heat sinks...or not. Was a bad idea then, and remains so.

#17 pattonesque

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 24 August 2024 - 01:07 PM

View PostVeeOt Dragon, on 22 August 2024 - 07:54 PM, said:

just ban the legendaries from it. hell do no legendaries no heroes for that matter.

big problem here is that even if you do that some stock builds work way, way better in MWO than others. Like IIRC the stock Warhawk-Prime is just the meta Warhawk with a crappy single LRM-10. Compare it to like, this piece of garbage

https://mwo.nav-alph...=a8aeafc9_HBR-A

unplayable!

#18 Lincoln Cross

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 August 2024 - 02:50 PM

Yeah. I'd never play it. I love customizing my mechs. Even when I played table top, I never played a stock mech.

#19 VeeOt Dragon

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,206 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 24 August 2024 - 06:46 PM

View Postpattonesque, on 24 August 2024 - 01:07 PM, said:

big problem here is that even if you do that some stock builds work way, way better in MWO than others. Like IIRC the stock Warhawk-Prime is just the meta Warhawk with a crappy single LRM-10. Compare it to like, this piece of garbage

https://mwo.nav-alph...=a8aeafc9_HBR-A

unplayable!

i don't see that as completely unworkable. you could do pretty well with it if you know what you are doing (though i do admit its fire group heavy)

#20 pattonesque

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 24 August 2024 - 07:00 PM

View PostVeeOt Dragon, on 24 August 2024 - 06:46 PM, said:

i don't see that as completely unworkable. you could do pretty well with it if you know what you are doing (though i do admit its fire group heavy)

my guy it's horrible. Only the UAC/5s and ERLLs kind of sync up and it has *34* CT armor with a MG ammo bomb the instant you open it up

14 user(s) are reading this topic

3 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users