Every Time I Come Back, This Is The 1 Reason That Drives Me Away Again

30 replies to this topic

#21 Eider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 541 posts

Posted 05 September 2024 - 10:57 PM

Lights have always been the problem, funky hitboxes, speed armor as i dub it and some shots just plain go through them. They fixed it once for a bit then every light player screamed and they changed it back. They can for sure fix it if they wanted to but they seem to love taking bad advice from caldron who insist lights should be on par with assaults.

#22 RockmachinE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 06 September 2024 - 12:33 AM

Skill issue.

#23 A banana in the tailpipe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,705 posts
  • Locationbehind your mech

Posted 06 September 2024 - 09:17 AM

I know it's a weak excuse but you have to understand I have major PTSD from how long PGI left the Onyx broken. Quit 7+ straight years and skipped the other new mechwarrior games over it.

So... What made coming back work this time is I had been gone so long 60+ of the mechs are completely new to me. I didn't regonize them at a glance etc... Now ALL I see are hero mechs match after match and it triggers my PTSD.

#24 Rabid Imp

• PipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 53 posts

Posted 06 September 2024 - 10:13 AM

Adders are short but pretty wide. Ravens have a huge noses. Jenners are fat box shapes.

Not sure why people cannot hit lights...

#25 Ttly

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 06 September 2024 - 08:08 PM

View PostEider, on 05 September 2024 - 10:57 PM, said:

Lights have always been the problem, funky hitboxes, speed armor as i dub it and some shots just plain go through them. They fixed it once for a bit then every light player screamed and they changed it back. They can for sure fix it if they wanted to but they seem to love taking bad advice from caldron who insist lights should be on par with assaults.

A light player is still a player slot on a team and should be on par with an assault player in a game without/limited respawn through one way or another (i.e dodge tanking to potentially be as tanky as an assault, scouting, etc.).
They just can't be treated as expendable fodder vehicles that they are in the lore, so they do have to be balanced with taking this into account. I think I could've worded it better but you get the idea.

Unless lights get the unique trait of having free respawns to represent how expendable they are, I don't think you're going to see them being nerfed.

Edited by Ttly, 06 September 2024 - 08:14 PM.

#26 Just a Kobold

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 September 2024 - 09:58 AM

Light mechs are about as hard to kill as they are meant to be. All armor and structure is doubled, before quirks to make up for most players being very good shots compared to TT, with perfect or near perfect weapon convergence.
My own aim has probably doubled over the past year, and I stand at a whopping 60%ish hit rate. As someone with a keyboard and mouse my aim is still quite bad, and that makes me a weak player. In TT terms? I don't know, but that feels about the same as a clanner with 3 gunnery.

If we really want lights to evaporate immediately upon impact, we can do away with all armor and structure doubling and quirks, but I'd be amazed if you were happy when that happens. A 20 tonner can disappear from a couple PPCs, but your 100 ton invulnerable obliterator will have 62 armor for the CT, and 31 structure.

Not sure where the idea that light mechs are expendable comes from in the first place. They might be less painful to lose, but they are meant to dictate the battlefield, while assaults are meant to be a force multiplier.

#27 RockmachinE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 07 September 2024 - 10:33 AM

The best way to see how vulnerable lights are is to start playing them. Yes you ca be effective, but you also die very easily.

#28 A banana in the tailpipe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,705 posts
  • Locationbehind your mech

Posted 07 September 2024 - 11:48 AM

Ok feedback in general... to close out this thread here's what I've noticed since coming back. To give you an idea of since how long... the next cupcake after my 3yr anniversary is the 10yr.

The Good:

Mech Variety
Weapon Balance
Community Events
Community Participation (for putting up with salt)

The Meh:

Mech Variety is really just a bunch of Hero Mechs
Weapon Balance didn't stop PopTart/PP meta
Missiles out to pasture
Community is recycling itself
Server-based hitreg (sometimes fine, sometimes awful)
Lack of marketing
Zero maps where I am indeed on an Island
Why is Alpine still in the game whyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

Edited by A banana in the tailpipe, 07 September 2024 - 11:56 AM.

#29 Drenzul

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 290 posts

Posted 09 September 2024 - 03:31 PM

Honestly, only a couple of the hero mechs are better than the standard variants.
Nothing wrong with popTarts. Rarely see more than 1-2 per game.
Not sure what you mean about missiles. SRMs, MRMs, ATMs still all at least useful,
LRMs maybe less so, not used thunderbolts.
Not sure what you mean about the community.
Only had any real issues with hit-reg when one of the enemies has a wildly fluxuating ping.

I think given the age of the game any real development will be for MWO 2 now.

#30 CronenbergWorld

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 11 September 2024 - 12:08 PM

View PostDrenzul, on 09 September 2024 - 03:31 PM, said:

Honestly, only a couple of the hero mechs are better than the standard variants.
Nothing wrong with popTarts. Rarely see more than 1-2 per game.
Not sure what you mean about missiles. SRMs, MRMs, ATMs still all at least useful,
LRMs maybe less so, not used thunderbolts.
Not sure what you mean about the community.
Only had any real issues with hit-reg when one of the enemies has a wildly fluxuating ping.

I think given the age of the game any real development will be for MWO 2 now.

MWO2 a lot of the development is done IF they use MW5 as there starting point and I'm pretty sure they are.

Edited by CronenbergWorld, 11 September 2024 - 12:08 PM.

#31 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,876 posts

Posted 20 September 2024 - 02:00 PM

So many people complaining about Tiers. That has always been a big joke to me.

If you play against crappy players, your always going to be a crappy player. Your never going to develop the skills to be a good play. On the other side, if your a good player, you never get to be anything but an average player because you never get a chance to stand out while playing against ONLY players at the same skill level.

Honestly the whole tier system is pretty unsatisfying for everyone if you ask me. A 'No One Left Behind" system is just ridiculous in a game that is supposed to be competitive in my opinion.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Facebook