44 replies to this topic

#41 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,270 posts

Posted 16 September 2024 - 07:43 AM

View PostDarkBazerker, on 10 September 2024 - 11:25 AM, said:

^ this logic is ok, but me talking about being ok with a lost, because I did my damage and got an up arrow is not? Very messed up double standard.
I do not know what "double standard" you are talking about. This is your first post in this thread.

Edited by martian, 16 September 2024 - 07:44 AM.

#42 crazytimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 16 September 2024 - 07:54 PM

View PostSamara 6J, on 13 September 2024 - 10:24 PM, said:

The game needs to pick a lane.

Do people want to just play mech smash-em-up? Then get rid of the objectives getting in the way of that and confusing new players. Make Skirmish the only gamemode, plop some kind of Domination or Assault style objective in the middle so the flea can't hold the game hostage for ten minutes because Muh Jarls, call it a day.

Do people want objective based gameplay and coordination, where the base getting capped out two minutes in is a clever play and not a disruption that everyone rages about in chat? Then the game needs to properly score objective play when considering performance.

Why can't we just leave it as it is?

If people want to consistently try and cap, they will get skill matched with the other people who also choose to be unable to shoot for whatever their reason.

This thread- like its many predecessors- is someone whinning because they didn't get assessed as skilled because all they did was stand in a square. I don't care if people choose to play that way- because they don't play in the upper tiers. Not for long anyhow.

If you want to play poorly, please do so. Have fun your way.

Edited by crazytimes, 16 September 2024 - 07:54 PM.

#43 Moadebe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 286 posts

Posted 16 September 2024 - 09:27 PM

Objectives are tactical win conditions used to upset the natural flow of a match.

Never ignore them. No matter what anyone says.

#44 w0qj

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,570 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 17 September 2024 - 05:24 AM

In my Tier 3-4 QP games, I do see QP games lost from no cap...

I normally advise my team to get more capture points when enemy reaches 500+ (max 750=win) and we are behind in cap points.

I typically get ignored, or one hotshot says we'll kill them all (or something to that effect)...

Result: you've guessed it, game lost from no cap, could not kill the remaining 1-2 Light mechs due to large map...

So YES, you can still lost games due to no cap...
(Unlike what OP says)

#45 BlueDevilspawn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 101 posts

Posted 17 September 2024 - 07:28 AM

Objectives in MWO exist to force movement and prevent a match from becoming static. This, for example, is why Conquest is used in Comp... to force movement.

That said, in QP you don't have the coordination from comp to execute cap and control strats. In this case, stuff like Assault, Dom, Conquest are things you do to "slow the bleeding" based on whatever objective is active, but it's ultimately still a version of skirmish. This is why ALL mechs/variants are balanced to be combat viable.

As for making the objectives worth it, there are mechanics that could've made for different roles (e.g., fast lights in extraction type mode). However, at this stage in the game, the mechanics I'll list as example below are not going to be added; it's simply not worth the resources.
  • Conquest - cap control decay and cap movement
  • Domination - shrinking / moving circle
  • Assault - capture progress win (must fully cap now), and/or moving bases
So, what are things that can be done if not the above? Assuming the resources have time -
  • Shifting spawns
  • Shifting bases
  • Shifting cap points or orientation (e.g., 2-1-2, 1-3-1)
  • Resizing/moving dom circle
All of these must take into account spawn points, time/path to points, etc. to be fairly equal. You've already seen some of this happen with the resized Dom circles in a number of maps; this was the direct result of a cauldron member (Navid) working with the map designed.

Hopefully this sheds some light on why things are the way they are and the extent to which changes can be made.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users