Community QNA 3 - Information Warfare

107 replies to this topic

#101 WVAnonymous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,691 posts
  • LocationEvery world has a South Bay. That's where I am.

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:50 PM

Planet-specific phenomena such as dust storms, ionized fog to disrupt only certain types of information?

Hurricane force winds to ground your UAV and blow away your sensors dropped by cruise missiles?

Dust coating lenses, or even your actual "windshield", the ultimate loss of battlefield information?

#102 ELHImp

Com Guard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationRussia

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:29 AM

My questions about maps, couse first question for any scouts "where hell we are?"

1. Can we know on which map will be next fight before selecting mechs etc?
2. Will it be static maps or just standart terrain types and random generation of hills, forests, rivers and buildings?

This things can give a lot of work for scouts: not only simple "find enemies" and "guide missile fire", but "search path trough this/out of here", "look for good positions", "give information about enemy types" (if you know map before combat you take appropriate mechs and enemy doing so, and both sides know mechs and it means strategy of foe) and a lot more.

Sorry if my english not so good as I think.

#103 Dihm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:41 AM

From the Dev Interview:

All players will have access to the BattleGrid but only the commander will have interactivity with it. It would be in your best interest to keep him protected at all times.

Could you explain the "commander" a bit here? Is there a commander per lance, one per company? How is the commander "chosen"? If there is a commander per lance, how do the commanders coordinate with each other?

#104 Strill

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:28 AM

You've said several times that the urban setting was added to give more use to light mechs, but that's rather strange since in Mechwarrior 4, urban settings were explicitly described in the game as being preferable to assault mechs. This was due, at least in my experience, to their ability to withstand the battles of attrition that occurred due to the inability to maneuver.

I'd also like to know more about the commander. I hope the commander provides some kind of incentive for players to play as a team and isn't just something tacked on that you expect players to follow for the heck of it. I'm reminded of World of Warcraft in which the win conditions often hinge on doing things that aren't integral to combat, and are often boring, such as standing around defending a flag. Since these tasks are not interesting and players predictably come to pvp to fight other players, they often just run and attack the nearest enemy they see, and only go for objectives when they happen upon them by coincidence. This leads to plenty of situations where the players end up running off to the nearest fight even when objectives are left undefended.

I would hope that the commander's orders carry some kind of weight, for example, giving rewards to players who accomplish the commander's orders and rewards to the commander on victory.

Edited by Strill, 12 January 2012 - 05:40 AM.

#105 Dihm

• 3,312 posts
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:39 AM

After reading the latest developer interview, I noticed something once again. You keep using super fast scouts whenever you reference light mechs. Not all light mechs (the Urbanmech for example) fit this bill. How are THEY going to survive if there is no weight/drop restrictions on matches? Will we see light mechs that do not focus on Information Warfare?

Edited by Dihm, 12 January 2012 - 09:26 AM.

#106 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 12 January 2012 - 08:19 AM

Probably not, that's the reason they haven't annouced Urbie already. :ph34r:

#107 Evernigh

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 04:26 PM

So with the comment in the Dev interview about moduals reducing the ammount of weaponry you will be able to take.

Q. Will the board be directly linked to another "weapons board" and how much u use of one will affect the other and how will this effect the fact that you can unlock more slots on the modual board as even a pilots skill in a mek dose not magicaly give it more tonnage for moduals. Will these unlocked slots if you want to use them mean you have to take less weaponry.

#108 Garth Erlam

• 2,756 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • YouTube: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:47 PM

Thanks for all the questions everyone - I'm locking this up so we can gather and then answer them. Feel free to bribe with money make other comments and suggestions in the Suggestions area :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users