Warhammer Rebuild

125 replies to this topic

#21 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:56 PM

Judging by the arms, are you going to give it the reseen style PPCs?

#22 Veliq

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 54 posts
  • LocationMyrtle Beach, SC

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:18 PM

Looking great I must say. Will also be watching to see what develops here.

#23 Stormwolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:07 PM

Great work so far Hana, I always love the level of detail you put into these models :D

#24 HanaYuriko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 588 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:51 AM

View PostAdridos, on 01 August 2012 - 09:56 PM, said:

Judging by the arms, are you going to give it the reseen style PPCs?

That's the plan, yeah. Though I have some ideas in mind considering some fluff text I've read about the Warhammer's barrels.

View PostVeliq, on 01 August 2012 - 10:18 PM, said:

Looking great I must say. Will also be watching to see what develops here.

View PostStormwolf, on 01 August 2012 - 11:07 PM, said:

Great work so far Hana, I always love the level of detail you put into these models :D

Thanks to the both of you! Sometimes I feel I put in a bit too much when my PC starts to complain due to increasing processor load.

Right then, small update. Cheated a bit and took the MGs off of one of my tank models, and re-purposed the lasers from my Goliath. I also found pics of someone's well done Phoenix Warhammer model and will be using design ideas from that. The weapon placement is mostly based on the Reseen version.

Posted Image

#25 SlasH58

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 62 posts
  • LocationAtlantic Canada

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:21 AM

Wow, your work is incredible, Hana! How long did it take for you to learn True Space well enough to create these gems?

#26 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:36 AM

View PostSlasH58, on 02 August 2012 - 07:21 AM, said:

Wow, your work is incredible, Hana! How long did it take for you to learn True Space well enough to create these gems?

By the initial post, she has 10 years of 3D modelling experience.

#27 HanaYuriko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 588 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:55 AM

View PostAdridos, on 02 August 2012 - 07:36 AM, said:

By the initial post, she has 10 years of 3D modelling experience.

Actually I started with tS v2.5 in 1998. The oldest of those models that I showed in the start of the thread were done about 10 years ago. I had an IBM Aptiva 133mhz PC with a ATI 3D Rage graphics card at the time, with 32mb RAM! It came with MechWarrior 2 3D RAGE edition (that can't be played on any other system to my later chagrin).

The Reseen Whammy was done as soon as the TRO art was uploaded to classicbattletech.com when they first previewed TRO Project Phoenix. Everyone seemed so excited. "Yay! We get the classic 'mechs back!" Then they saw the artwork. The hate hasn't ended since.

OK, lets get to the big gun.

As I was building the partical cannon, I remembered that there was a bit of fluff text that told how the gun was reinforced for physical combat. Also looking at the detail at the end of the barrel, I was trying to figure out just what in the world the two fins were for! Combining the idea of a reinforced gun arm with finding a use for a pair of strange fins, I turned them into mounts for a pair hydraulic pistons. The bars work both to support the rammer as well as to absorb enough compression to keep from damaging the gun itself.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#28 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:37 AM

looking more than awesome!

#29 XTRMNTR2K

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 177 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:47 PM

Now that is one sexy gun. It's really exciting to see how everything comes together.

Great work so far, looking forward to seeing more of your Whammy!

#30 HanaYuriko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 588 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:01 PM

The PPC looked unbalanced in its design. The Destroid design idea just doesn't look right in my model. So I took another cue from the Battlemech and added detail to the rear of the weapon mount. I forgot where this greebled part came from (probably when I tried to rebuild an engine core from some starship model). But it seems to fit perfectly here.

Mounted the arms, but I can already tell I need to make some more adjustments. But right now it looks like we're at the half-way point.

I also rearranged the laser pairs. Moved the small lasers to the shoulder section, and relocated the mediums to the RT/LT. Also added a lens to the ML after a friend asked why a laser would need a grooved barrel.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#31 Ciypherr

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 119 posts
  • LocationTharkad City, Tharkad Lyran Commonwealth

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:07 PM

This is really ,really good so far. what software are you using to create this would like to chance my arm at creating some Battletech myself this has put me in the mood for an attempt at one of my own :(

#32 MikeMurdock

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 73 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSolaris 7. residental district

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:37 PM

I do like how much detailed you put into this model especially to the small details like the barrel and ports. Have you decided plans what your going to use this model for like a 3d animation or lowing some polygons to put into a game? I'm just wondering

#33 Stormwolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:11 AM

View PostMikeMurdock, on 02 August 2012 - 09:37 PM, said:

I do like how much detailed you put into this model especially to the small details like the barrel and ports. Have you decided plans what your going to use this model for like a 3d animation or lowing some polygons to put into a game? I'm just wondering

Some of Hana's models actually ended up in the now defunct Battletech Simulator.

#34 tadejv

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:12 AM

nice work!!!

#35 PlagueChampion

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Locationbehind you!

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:22 AM

nice! now put it all together! my imagination is not strong enough to see the whole picture from just lose parts

#36 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:09 AM

View PostPlagueChampion, on 03 August 2012 - 01:22 AM, said:

nice! now put it all together! my imagination is not strong enough to see the whole picture from just lose parts

can you re-post this a little larger, I'm having trouble reading it!

#37 Dymitry

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationSibko

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:23 AM

Hana, this is brilliant! More more more :)

#38 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:35 AM

View PostTaylorMadeGamer, on 02 August 2012 - 03:07 PM, said:

This is really ,really good so far. what software are you using to create this would like to chance my arm at creating some Battletech myself this has put me in the mood for an attempt at one of my own :)

Truespace 6.6. :blink:

Said that on the previous page.

Also, HanaYuriko, could I ask you abut the polygoncount the Warhammer has right now? Bro is curious.

Edited by Adridos, 03 August 2012 - 06:41 AM.

#39 William Chase Davion

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 136 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:43 AM

It looks amazing. Great Job!

#40 HanaYuriko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 588 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:55 AM

View PostMikeMurdock, on 02 August 2012 - 09:37 PM, said:

I don't have the rig for animation, nor the patience to do it on my current setup. I mostly like to build models and show them off. Maybe do some stills. That's pretty much it.

View PostStormwolf, on 03 August 2012 - 12:11 AM, said:

Some of Hana's models actually ended up in the now defunct Battletech Simulator.

Quite true! It was nice to see the lowpoly versions being used.

You guys can play with them in Adam's BattleTech Simulator Demo 14 has the 'mechs. I also did the horridly simplistic infantry model in demo 15 and some of the vehicles. 700 polys is not enough for a FPS look.

View Posttadejv, on 03 August 2012 - 01:12 AM, said:

nice work!!!

Thanks!

View PostPlagueChampion, on 03 August 2012 - 01:22 AM, said:

I like your enthusiasm.

View PostDymitry, on 03 August 2012 - 06:23 AM, said:

Hana, this is brilliant! More more more ;)

In due time.

View PostAdridos, on 03 August 2012 - 06:35 AM, said:

Truespace 6.6. :ph34r:

Said that on the previous page.

Also, HanaYuriko, could I ask you abut the polygoncount the Warhammer has right now? Bro is curious.

Before triangulation, I'm up to 320,602 polygons. The cockpit interior is 99,787. When I have some time I'll show you guys why this is.

View PostWilliam Chase Davion, on 03 August 2012 - 06:43 AM, said:

It looks amazing. Great Job!

Thank you.

I've hit a bit of an artistic block at the moment on how to do the lower half. The two designs I've been using differ wildly in the legs and blending them as I have so far seems to be a bit of a puzzle. Right now I'l looking at the details and thinking of how to "Fix" the designs and incorporate those ideas into my build. Especially since I don't want to match too closely to either the Destroid or the Battlemech.

One thing I can see right off is the spectacular amount of flat facing surfaces on the Phoenix design. This aspect is not very good at deflection and the general angle of attack has a greater chance of armor penetration. Something that doesn't seem to be an issue on the original chassis. So that at least is a good design direction to figure out.

Edited by HanaYuriko, 03 August 2012 - 08:56 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users