Cockpit animation

79 replies to this topic

#1 Dartan

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:59 PM

In every first person game I always wanted a higher degree of immersion and realism, what do you think about the idea of seeing your detailed, fluidly animated hands and each command with mouse/keyboard is corresponding to hand action, like steering, switching buttons etc.

Wouldn't that be great?

Edited by Dartan, 06 January 2012 - 12:01 AM.

#2 Hayden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:10 AM

Only if you could toggle it on and off. There's some appeal, and it would be neat for some, but if implemented I'd like to be able to switch them off.

#3 Lycan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:15 AM

What Hayden said.

It would be nice to have the option of that much detail but for some, even if they want it, their computers might not be able to handle it. They'd need to be able to tone it done to be able to get decent game play.

#4 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:34 AM

It might also be considered a distraction (hardware issues aside) so yeah the option to turn it off would be great. Still, when I'm showing the wife it would be great to say "Look ma, hands!!!"

#5 Cepeza

• PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationBeneath your bed!

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:53 AM

We can see from that 2009 teaser that Piranha Games has quite a clue of how to bring game immersion and realism to the audience AND you can see pilot's hands and feet. imho there is no need to see hand animation for every single action. You'd have better things to do than to watch your finger clasping the trigger when you face an Atlas. Little bridging animation here and there are fine. Just like in that teaser. You can see your hands pushing buttons to launch the drone. That's perfect.

#6 Volume

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:07 AM

View PostCepeza, on 06 January 2012 - 12:53 AM, said:

We can see from that 2009 teaser that Piranha Games has quite a clue of how to bring game immersion and realism to the audience AND you can see pilot's hands and feet. imho there is no need to see hand animation for every single action. You'd have better things to do than to watch your finger clasping the trigger when you face an Atlas. Little bridging animation here and there are fine. Just like in that teaser. You can see your hands pushing buttons to launch the drone. That's perfect.

This.

Besides, we need to see the inside of the cockpit for hula girls. ;)

That said, now I am interested in buying new outfits for my pilot so I can see his gloves/sleeves pushing buttons :P

#7 Rathverge

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 179 posts
  • LocationMountain

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:27 AM

Dont worry about it being switchable too much. The game resources will most likely be all client side, so modding should be fairly easy if hardware problems occur or you are just way too distracted (read: I want to be able to see more so I can pwnzorz all dem newbz)

#8 Odin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 498 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:24 AM

Well I would love it.
Never felt too much distracted with my 2 hands on the steering wheel, though, wouldn't be a problem for me in my Mech.
Since we all can't help ourselfs - being aware of oneself - most every day :P - I'm not sure why one wouldn't want it in a sim, featuring a cockpit and a pilot in it? Modern day hardware sure isn't an argument. And neither animations nor modeling. And since we are talking about it, the RPG part of the MWO would get a new layer and the player an even deeper focus on things, if that pilot you got to see - your avatar - would be customizable ....my 2 C-bills.

#9 Mchawkeye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:34 AM

I like the idea of see some hands and feet and what not. Just so long as it isn't distracting...

#10 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:42 AM

If it is switchable and you can prod the hula girl, I am all for it. :P

#11 Dartan

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:57 AM

View PostVolume, on 06 January 2012 - 02:07 AM, said:

That said, now I am interested in buying new outfits for my pilot so I can see his gloves/sleeves pushing buttons :P

Exactly, remember that first time in Half Life 2 when you donned the hazmat suit? I would love to be able to buy different suits and see different gloves...

Some people are gay so hula girl is a bad idea, people don't like heterosexuality being shoved down their throats at every turn.

Edited by Dartan, 06 January 2012 - 03:58 AM.

#12 Mchawkeye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 04:04 AM

View PostDartan, on 06 January 2012 - 03:57 AM, said:

Some people are gay so hula girl is a bad idea, people don't like heterosexuality being shoved down their throats at every turn.

uhhh....I might regret this, but in what way is a hulagirl shoving heterosexuality down anyone's throat?

#13 NotNewHere

• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 99 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 04:26 AM

So what if hands are distracting. It would probably be just as distracting (if not more) To press those buttons on a real mech. Having those distracting hands would add to the realism. It could also add some interesting easter eggs, like every 1000th time you do somthing he flicks the hula girl, or ajusts his seat.

#14 MaddMaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:01 AM

If they do go with some of that, like in the 2009 Trailer, given the Hunchback cockpit layout, I would like to see my avatar reach up to activate screens and switches as well as out and down.

With the Driving and Weapons controls alreay in hnad via joystick and pedals (in the Mech) other functions don't seem as if they would be to distracting. Never hurts to have an OFF option for those who prefer less Immersion. :P

Edited by MaddMaxx, 06 January 2012 - 07:02 AM.

#15 Dartan

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:08 AM

Even in Duke Nukem you have a hand moving and selecting numbers on a keypad, you also had this in Prey when operating vehicle, some driving games and in some parts of CoD series, every time it looked great.

#16 CyBerkut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • LocationSomewhere north of St. Petersburg

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:27 AM

Take a cue from the DCS series simulators. Make it optional to have the pilot shown.

#17 Dartan

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:32 AM

But this will be good and enriching only if animation is detailed, realistic, and fluid. And if the hand cloth/armor textures are solid.

#18 Silent

• 1,207 posts
  • LocationButte Hold

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:50 AM

Seems pointless, especially if given the option to turn it off. All that work to do fluid cockpit animations and then probably 80% of people would have it turned off anyway.

#19 Blackfire1

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,462 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:56 AM

Many people get motion sickness from playing first person shooters. Mostly caused by extra movements on screen unrelated to their control.
If would be useful to have it optional, mostly to these people.

#20 Ghost

Com Guard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:58 AM

They'd have a load of fun doing cockpit animations if stuff like this gets implemented (thanks for the concept art, flyingdebris)!
Posted Image

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Facebook