• LocationMid-Cascadia

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:02 AM

PULL CHAIN!!!

#22 Dartan

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:27 PM

View PostSilent, on 06 January 2012 - 08:50 AM, said:

Seems pointless, especially if given the option to turn it off. All that work to do fluid cockpit animations and then probably 80% of people would have it turned off anyway.

You are lying, and asserting baseless statements, anyone could see in the last 4 years there have been increased levels of animations in FP games in a variety of ways. Like Battlefield 3, Crysis 2, Duke Nukem Forever, Metro 2033, Deus Ex HR, etc.

20% of people would turn it off, at most.

#23 Mchawkeye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 03:05 AM

View PostDartan, on 06 January 2012 - 10:27 PM, said:

You are lying, and asserting baseless statements, anyone could see in the last 4 years there have been increased levels of animations in FP games in a variety of ways. Like Battlefield 3, Crysis 2, Duke Nukem Forever, Metro 2033, Deus Ex HR, etc.

20% of people would turn it off, at most.

Whoa there fella. No need to be so...assertive. In actual fact, his comment (which I don't necessarily agree with) is just as baseless as yours, neither of you have any numbers to back up your assertions, so lets go easy on one and other. It's all considered opinion, and that's just fine.

Just because a style has become prevalent (in this case, showing the avatar enter the field of vision, in some way) doesn't mean PGI should/has to do the same.

That said, I think it's relevant here, in the cockpit of a mech. i would like to see it. But then, how much of your self are you actually going to see, and therefore is it worth spending the time over? Animating hands or making the PPC work better?

Would you rather they made gloves not war?

i would not.

#24 Liam

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationStuttgart

Posted 07 January 2012 - 04:29 AM

I love Steel Battalion Cockpit animations. It was really cool experience. I miss it so much ;)

Here is a video of cockpit animations for all 3 cockpit generations:

Something similar would be nice: especially 2nd generation type cockpit (second one in video) for inner sphere till the invasion of Clans!
3nd generation cockpit (3d in the video (1:35 sec)) would fit for Clan tech (clan mechs) and later also for Inner sphere mechs.

No overloaded screens maximum 2 or so ... some additional indicators for ammunition life support systems etc.
and projection screen.

#25 Dartan

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 05:34 AM

That video was pretty good, hand animations or not, a lot depends on cockpit interaction, visual and animation quality and what is shown in what circumstance...I dare say this is critical, similar to how FPS games are ruined if weapon animations are poor and stiff.

#26 Dartan

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:15 PM

Take a look at this.

Now, this is immersive, although the mech is much smaller so there is impact to every movement you make. That's another reason why hand animations beside other cockpit animations would add so much more to large slow moving mechs.

Edited by Dartan, 07 January 2012 - 10:17 PM.

#27 Duncan Jr Fischer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 493 posts
  • LocationKyiv

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:16 AM

I'm all for the visible and active hands!
Remember that most of the controls would be visible mostly when you look around in cockpit so those hands won't distract you more than they distract you in some FPS or racing games, especially the latter. They move on the steering wheel, you can see one move to the gearbox and that is great, now you can feel yourself driving. And in some NFS you are but a ghost in the car, and that's not pleasant or immersive.
So animated hands and legs will add greatly to the immersion! When you are switching some stuff they will make you know where you have that stuff in your cockpit.

#28 Mchawkeye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:44 AM

View PostDartan, on 07 January 2012 - 10:15 PM, said:

Take a look at this.

Now, this is immersive, although the mech is much smaller so there is impact to every movement you make. That's another reason why hand animations beside other cockpit animations would add so much more to large slow moving mechs.

You know, the more I look at Hawken, the more it seems like Unreal. Which is fine; I like Unreal, but it surely won't remove my mech cravings.

The cockpit is nice though, and I really enjoyed the SB start up sequenced too; I think a decent animated start up would be great, even if it's just the HUD and MFDs and cockpit lights flickering on and diagnostics being run on the various systems. lots of "system: nominal" noises and what not.

#29 Dragon Lady

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:52 AM

I'm hoping for an immersive, and customizable, cockpit as well. It really helps you feel like you're in the cockpit when you can look around it... and it gives me something to do with my one of my hat switchs on my throttle. ^_^

#30 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:57 AM

View PostDragon Lady, on 08 January 2012 - 07:52 AM, said:

I'm hoping for an immersive, and customizable, cockpit as well. It really helps you feel like you're in the cockpit when you can look around it... and it gives me something to do with my one of my hat switchs on my throttle. ^_^

So what you are saying is that you wanna be able to stick a picture of the family up under the vanity mirror flap and some fuzzy dice from the rear view monitor?

#31 Mchawkeye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:59 AM

View PostDragon Lady, on 08 January 2012 - 07:52 AM, said:

yeah..but what do i do with the other five or six? so many choices...

View PostMason Grimm, on 08 January 2012 - 07:57 AM, said:

So what you are saying is that you wanna be able to stick a picture of the family up under the vanity mirror flap and some fuzzy dice from the rear view monitor?

aye. exactly.

#32 Tbear

Rookie

• 9 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:31 AM

this explains it all i think

#33 Vampire_

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:46 AM

I think it'd be really cool. And I agree with the easter egg suggestion that Nightwish suggested ^_^

#34 Dragon Lady

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:52 AM

View PostMason Grimm, on 08 January 2012 - 07:57 AM, said:

Of course. I need a reminder of what House Kurita took from me. I really loved those fuzzy dice. ^_^

#35 Dartan

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 12:54 PM

View PostDuncan Jr Fischer, on 08 January 2012 - 07:16 AM, said:

I'm all for the visible and active hands!
Remember that most of the controls would be visible mostly when you look around in cockpit so those hands won't distract you more than they distract you in some FPS or racing games, especially the latter. They move on the steering wheel, you can see one move to the gearbox and that is great, now you can feel yourself driving. And in some NFS you are but a ghost in the car, and that's not pleasant or immersive.
So animated hands and legs will add greatly to the immersion! When you are switching some stuff they will make you know where you have that stuff in your cockpit.

Precisely, and just picture all the armored(or non-armored) pilot suits you will be able to buy and customize...

#36 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 08 January 2012 - 03:44 PM

View PostDartan, on 08 January 2012 - 12:54 PM, said:

Precisely, and just picture all the armored(or non-armored) pilot suits you will be able to buy and customize...

A lot of pilots actually strip down to boxers and "italian smoking jackets" (ie: muscle shirts) and a cooling vest. Anything else is far too hot.

The Bounty Hunter(s) is the only pilot I've heard of using a PAL type suit and I am unsure as to whether that was in mech or just for his dealings outside of his Marauder.

#37 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 08 January 2012 - 03:50 PM

I would love to see this kind of detail, its kind of like how modern racing games are simply made better by having full detail of in-car type of view (like in Forza 4). Immersion has quite a powerful effect on your oneness with your machine.

#38 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 08 January 2012 - 03:58 PM

The cockpit should be display screens only. I don't need to see my character's hands on the screen doing who-knows-what to imagine my character manipulating the controls to pilot a multi-ton war machine.

#39 Karyudo ds

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,706 posts
  • LocationChaos March

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:17 PM

Some animation would be nice. Sort of grounds the enitre concept. Without it you're just giant robots duking it out. With it you at least get that you're just piloting said giant robot, specifically for those unfamilar with what the crap this whole Battletech concept even is. I assume PG want's to introduce new people to the series.

(granted it's not 100% needed but at a glance obvious can be nice)

#40 pcunite

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 January 2012 - 06:10 PM

I personally don't need to see hand animation, just a really great cockpit that reacts to "invisible" hands.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users