Crossfire/SLI

91 replies to this topic

#81 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 26 May 2014 - 06:05 AM

One of the issues that's probably affecting their ability to do this, either directly by presenting difficulties, or indirectly by just taking up tons of the devs' time on other things, is the engine. It's been quietly admitted that Cryengine was NOT the choice for MWO, and its selection is having nightmarish consequences, as the engine continuously proves extremely difficult to work with, in general, and for what they're trying to do as far as the game.

The devs aren't lazy, or trying to avoid getting the game fixed up, and there is admission that the ball's been dropped, but they are trying.

Discussions of the various issues surrounding the game can be found here

http://mwomercs.com/...courtesy-phone/

I had assumed most people remotely interested in the game would have read it, but comments here suggest the contrary :/

Edited by Catamount, 26 May 2014 - 06:09 AM.

#82 Dark DeLaurel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 579 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationWarShip Sleipnir, Spinward-Coreward Quadrant

Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:54 PM

Crytek offers a lot of help to devs if they ask for it. Also after seeing MW:LL in action and seeing MWO there is a major disconnect so it all can not be blamed on the engine of choice. Yes I have read the Karl Berg thread, but allocation of resources seems to be like chasing a squirrel. It is never constant, SLI/Xfire support should be fixed before TrackIR is even thought about.

Getting the game to run smoothly impacts everyone. I have three different setups one of which can be defined as over the top and two mid range ones and performance is almost identical on all three. That shouldn't be happening, the only common thread between all three is they all use SLI/Xfire and all are Intel CPU's (different generations and arch types). Two run Xfire with 7970's and the other is a Tri-SLI with 680GTX's.

During closed beta we had a lot better FPS and it looked prettier, now not so much.

#83 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:32 AM

SLI and Crossfire are almost irrelevant to game performance. No modern system, unless it's using entirely underpowered GPUs, should be unable to run MWO smoothly.

There's also no reason to assume that there's any comparison between TrackIR implementation and multi-GPU, in terms of difficulty, or even necessarily who would be doing it.

Yes, we did have better performance in CB. We also only had 8v8 games. I haven't seen my GPU performance go much of anywhere as this game has progressed, but once 12v12 came in I saw massive CPU-bottlenecking.

#84 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:33 PM

I'm not looking toward SLI to up my performance. I've got dual GTX 570s and, even using only 1 of them, I still get near 60fps most of the time. I just want SLI so that my one card will stop running at 70-75c and the two together will run at around 65c.

That said, for those running 3-monitor surround or something, SLI should help with frame rate a lot, too.

Edited by DEMAX51, 27 May 2014 - 12:34 PM.

#85 Dark DeLaurel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 579 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:33 PM

View PostCatamount, on 27 May 2014 - 10:32 AM, said:

Yes, we did have better performance in CB. We also only had 8v8 games. I haven't seen my GPU performance go much of anywhere as this game has progressed, but once 12v12 came in I saw massive CPU-bottlenecking.

My primary machine is
3x GTX 680 4GiB cards
1x Inteli7 4960X
1x Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GiB kit

And it struggles with holding 60 FPS which to me is showing a massive issue on their end. I see the same issues on my older setup which is a

2x 7970 4GiB
1x Core 2 Extreme QX9650 with dual 7970 4GiB
1x Corsair 8GiB kit

So two very different machines showing almost the exact same performance means something fishy is going on.

View PostDEMAX51, on 27 May 2014 - 12:33 PM, said:

I'm not looking toward SLI to up my performance. I've got dual GTX 570s and, even using only 1 of them, I still get near 60fps most of the time. I just want SLI so that my one card will stop running at 70-75c and the two together will run at around 65c.

That said, for those running 3-monitor surround or something, SLI should help with frame rate a lot, too.

Yea I am running 3 Dell U2410's and would love to use all three for MWO but it is just not possible, FPS is horrid when I do.

#86 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:56 AM

Well one of the problems with MWO, and it's been a long-running problem, maybe as far back as CB, is that the game performs with wild inconsistency, for reasons that no one has seemed to nail down in all this time.

That's not really an SLI/Crossfire issue; that's just MWO behaving strangely. Even back a little after launch I had a laptop with an i7-720QM and a mobile 5730, that performed faster than the laptop of another user (Sen), which had a comparable CPU and a mobile 5870. There are hundreds of further cases of computers just not performing where they should, or in some cases, performing better than average for their hardware. For instance, you're saying you have a Core 2 Quad giving basically 60fps minimums. That's the outlier of your two systems, and a crazy one at that.

Edited by Catamount, 28 May 2014 - 08:56 AM.

#87 Dark DeLaurel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 579 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 02:38 PM

The performance issue started when they started to tune the engine for the lowest common denominator. Which is why my old machine can run it. I have a clanmate that has notice the same thing, once they started to tune the engine his constant FPS started to drop.

#88 CHH Badkarma

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 831 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 01:15 AM

View PostDark DeLaurel, on 28 May 2014 - 02:38 PM, said:

The performance issue started when they started to tune the engine for the lowest common denominator. Which is why my old machine can run it. I have a clanmate that has notice the same thing, once they started to tune the engine his constant FPS started to drop.

Yup. No fun
I used to consistently get over 100 fps ( vertical sync on 144 monitor) now I am lucky if I get 70

Edited by CHH Badkarma, 04 June 2014 - 01:16 AM.

#89 Fantastic Tuesday

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 149 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:11 PM

Using 2x 460s.

I have a weird artifact indeed. The mechbay will flash repeatedly on the screen while in game, stopping momentarily if the view is moved around. It happens on some maps, on others it's just a flashing dark frame. It can be stopped by enabling and immediately disabling POSTAA on every new map load, for some reason, but it only works for Testing Grounds and not actual matches (of course...).

Anyone else have this problem and worked out a fix? I'm pulling my hair out here.

Spoiler

Edit: Mostly fixed. It appears lots of people have this ghost image problem, particularly with the recent patches. I more or less beat it with a combination of fullscreen, dx9 and alt-tabbing out of and into the game after loading a new map.

Edited by Fantastic Tuesday, 06 June 2014 - 04:26 AM.

#90 Colonel Jaime Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 127 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 10 November 2014 - 07:41 PM

my two 680s have been waiting for this since the cards came out...

#91 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 11 November 2014 - 06:39 AM

dat thread necro

#92 LordLosh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 409 posts