Crossfire/SLI

91 replies to this topic

#41 Viper69

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,204 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:08 AM

View Postred stapler, on 13 June 2013 - 10:43 AM, said:

I have an older midrange GPU that was good for a couple years, and it was only $50 to add a second one (used) and get close to double my performance.

Ah sweet, I was thinking that but in order for me to do that I need a new Mobo, but that is a decent plan. I could probably get another 5870hd pretty cheap and a new mobo with a little more CPU headroom fairly cheap. using a q6600 now.

#42 Waxon

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:31 AM

Almost every game I have played in the last 2 years has supported it, or not needed it.
You should come over and see how awesome MWonline looks with 16x AA and everything else maxxed. With SLI I don't need to overclock my cards any more and the temperature never soars past 65 degrees.

With only one card I have to fight for 35 fps. And that is with Overclocking my PC and GPU to the max.

#43 DeaconW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 976 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:41 AM

View PostWaxon, on 13 June 2013 - 11:31 AM, said:

Almost every game I have played in the last 2 years has supported it, or not needed it.
You should come over and see how awesome MWonline looks with 16x AA and everything else maxxed. With SLI I don't need to overclock my cards any more and the temperature never soars past 65 degrees.

With only one card I have to fight for 35 fps. And that is with Overclocking my PC and GPU to the max.

How did you get AA to work without the flickering? My screen has horrible flickering if AA is enabled and SLI is enabled.

#44 Waxon

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:07 PM

It isn't working well.

I know this game is only beta. I am not complaining. I know this game is free, and that I did not have to give them a lot of my money. I am trying not to be impatient, but I wish it ran better than just okay on my kickass PC.

Nvidia. The way it was meant to be played?

#45 red stapler

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:08 PM

It's nice to be able to turn my resolution up to 1920x1080.

Posted Image

#46 Waxon

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:35 PM

Miscenalleous
GB Tarkus: When can we expect to see SLI/Crossfire and TrackIR in game.
A: When our team has extra time.

#47 eduncan911

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:01 AM

Oooooo... TrackIR. TrackIR for the "look around", and on my tri-monitors, holy crap!

I had that setup for my FSX!

Personally, I'd rather go the Kinect route as that SDK is much richer.

If MWO would only expose an API for us to create custom inputs, I don't see why not. They already have the code that "binds" to the mouse and joystick. Stick some events on that that listen from a simple API, and expose that API. I'll be in line with a Kinect to start on it immediately!

Edited by eduncan911, 15 June 2013 - 06:02 AM.

#48 DeaconW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 976 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:43 PM

Latest (320.49) Nvidia driver breaks this...getting 5-10FPS.

Edited by DeaconW, 05 July 2013 - 06:03 AM.

#49 baddabigboom

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:10 PM

Hey there everyone, I really hope that I don’t get heckled for asking this, but I could use some help. I didn’t use to pay much attention to performance aspects of my systems, but thanks to MWO I’m becoming kinda obsessed over them. That said, I’m hitting a wall.

The problem is, I’m only seeing an avg of 35fps in MWO and 45fps in other stuff, such as Dirt3. This is according to the Fraps.com indicator. Without the Fraps indicator, I’m seeing a 2fps increase. What can I do to increase my FPS?

My hardware setup is as follows:
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte (GA-Z68XP-UD3)
  • CPU: Intel i7 2600
  • SSD: Samsung 830
  • GPU: (2) EVGA (GTX 570) in SLI. Bezel Adjusted Resolution of 3382x768
  • RAM: Corsair (16GB)
  • Power: 1000W Thermaltake
  • Monitors: (2) Acer 20” + (1) Asus VG236H 23” (all in landscape orientation).
Base Settings – Through NVIDIA Control Panel
  • PhysX settings: Processor - Auto-Select
  • Resolution: 5760x1080
  • Refresh Rate: 60Hz
Base Settings – Through EVGA Control Panel
  • GPU Clock Maximum Limit: 732MHz
  • Memory Clock Limit: 1900MHz
  • FPS limit: 115
  • Sync: On
  • Fan Speed: Auto
Additional Settings through NVIDIA Inspector 1.9.7.1
Per “xor1337” post recommendations. Thank you!!!!!
“1. SLi compatibility bits (DX1x): 0x000040F5 (Need for Speed: Most Wanted, Crysis 3)
2. SLi compatibility bits :0x02506405 (Crysis, ArmA 2: Operation Arrowhead, Take-on helicopters, ArmA 3, ArmA 2, Crysis 2, Crysis 3, Crysis: Warhead, Merchants of Brooklyn, Nexuiz, OCCT)
3.Number of GPUs to use on SLi rendering mode: SLI_GPU_COUNT_TWO
4.NVIDIA predefined number of GPUs to use on SLi rendering mode on Direct X 10: SLI_PREDEFINED_GPU_COUNT_DX10_TWO
5.NVIDIA predefined number of GPUs to use on SLi rendering mode: SLI_PREDEFINED_GPU_COUNT_TWO
6.NVIDIA predefined SLi mode on DirectX 10: SLI_PREDEFINED_MODE_DX10_FORCE_AFR
7.NVIDIA predefined SLi mode: SLI_PREDEFINED_MODE_FORCE_AFR2

Just hit "Apply changes" and then make sure SLi is enabled in the Nvidia Driver Control panel.

I'll Say again, TURN OFF AA, SLi makes grainy dark patches on screen with it on.”

MWO Settings:
  • Screen Resolution: 5760x1080
  • Windowed Mode: Windowed
  • Motion Blur: Off
  • System Specifications: Medium
  • V-Sync: Off
Prior to the adjustments that were supplied by xor1337, I was seeing at avg of 20fps. So a huge “thank you” for posting those.

However I’m still getting the sense that my system should be performing better, and that I must not have something set correctly.

I’m wide open to suggestions or thoughts… A better CPU and GPU are obvious answers, but money is a bit tight. Need to maximize what I’ve got first.

Thank you guys.

#50 Rykiel

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 04 July 2013 - 05:28 PM

Download and run GeForce Experience http://www.geforce.c...orce-experience, it works with MWO. Should give you a big helping hand :)

Otherwise, get a nice air cooler for your CPU and overclock that thing! This game is still pretty CPU-dependent, and a nice overclock will greatly help improve your framerates.

Edited by Rykiel, 04 July 2013 - 05:30 PM.

#51 DeaconW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 976 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:01 AM

View Postbaddabigboom, on 04 July 2013 - 02:10 PM, said:

• Screen Resolution: 5760x1080
  • Windowed Mode: Windowed

I would say these are your limiting factors. Pretty sure you are maxing that setup at that resolution (I assume across 3 monitors?) and windowing always causes FPS to take a hit. Try running non-windowed first and see what that does. Running at very high resolutions requires significant horsepower...I view 35fps with that setup and settings as pretty good!

#52 DeaconW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 976 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:23 PM

OK...so I got my third monitor and setup 5760x1200. Using the provided SLI settings (which worked great in 1920x1200) i got massive flickering (like an old TV set out of sync). But if I set it to "full window" it doesn't flicker! Of course, "full window" causes a 10-20FPS hit but in "Low" I am getting 50-60FPS on a GTX 590 Classified in 5760x1200. "Medium" is about 27-35 FPS. Hopefully the move to DX11 will improve SLI performance. I may also experiment with the limited OC headroom on the 590. Anyway, hope this helps someone else who may be frustrated with getting MWO to work with SLI and Nvidia Surround.

#53 Redjack3

Banned - Cheating

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:40 PM

I was able to get SLI to work correctly on my two GTX 260 cards using NVIDIA Inspector 1.9.7.2 and I am getting excellent performance, except that damaged areas on mechs still have a visual flicker.

• open NVIDIA Inspector
  • export the MechWarrior Online profile as a backup, then delete the MechWarrior Online profile. (If you want the profile back, you have to import the backup you made or reinstall your graphics card driver)
  • go to the Crysis 3 profile
  • click "add application to current profile" and add "mwoclient.exe" to the Crysis 3 profile.
  • "apply settings" -> close NVIDIA Inspector
  • launch MechWarrior Online
  • go to options -> advanced video settings -> set anti-aliasing to "OFF"

This makes MechWarrior Online use all the same SLI profile settings as Crysis 3, which is also a CryEngine3 game but one where SLI actually works correctly.

Edited by Redjack3, 30 July 2013 - 05:13 PM.

#54 DeaconW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 976 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:55 PM

View PostRedjack3, on 30 July 2013 - 04:40 PM, said:

I was able to get SLI to work correctly on my two GTX 260 cards using NVIDIA Inspector 1.9.7.2 and I am getting excellent performance, except that damaged areas on mechs still have a visual flicker.

• open NVIDIA Inspector
  • export the MechWarrior Online profile as a backup, then delete the MechWarrior Online profile. (If you want the profile back, you have to import the backup you made or reinstall your graphics card driver)
  • go to the Crysis 2 profile
  • click "add application to current profile" and add "mwoclient.exe" to the Crysis 2 profile.
  • "apply settings" -> close NVIDIA Inspector
  • launch MechWarrior Online
  • go to options -> advanced video settings -> set anti-aliasing to "OFF"

This makes MechWarrior Online use all the same SLI profile settings as Crysis 2, which is also a CryEngine3 game but one where SLI actually works correctly.

Thx, Redjack. Does it work better than the current kludge?

#55 Redjack3

Banned - Cheating

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:12 PM

View PostDeaconW, on 30 July 2013 - 04:55 PM, said:

Thx, Redjack. Does it work better than the current kludge?

I get higher fps with my workaround compared to xor1337's. Also, I just edited my workaround. I now use the Crysis 3 profile instead of the Crysis 2 profile because it seems to give better performance. If anyone needs help, I can provide a slideshow or video walkthrough.

#56 DeaconW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 976 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:41 PM

View PostRedjack3, on 30 July 2013 - 05:12 PM, said:

I get higher fps with my workaround compared to xor1337's. Also, I just edited my workaround. I now use the Crysis 3 profile instead of the Crysis 2 profile because it seems to give better performance. If anyone needs help, I can provide a slideshow or video walkthrough.

It definitely works but I am not seeing much performance difference on my system. Can't want for DX11.

#57 Silpher K

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 82 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:24 PM

so either of these will work without the following issues?

when i've tested using c3 sli bits a while back, i get crazy flickering, making it unplayable, and also EXTREME performance hit and stuttering when graphics get intense, where it would have been fine if i didn't force the c3 sli bits.

running the game at 6080x1080 fullscreen, max settings

specs
3770k @ 4.8 HT on
2x GTX 670 FTW 4GB

#58 Silpher K

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 82 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:07 AM

just figured it out it was ambient occlusion usage that was causing the flickering this whole time.........

#59 LordOfThePit

Rookie

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:26 AM

I read on a forum somewhere that when MWO is near release (out of Beta), there would be SLI support. So where is it?

#60 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:38 AM

View PostLordOfThePit, on 22 September 2013 - 08:26 AM, said:

I read on a forum somewhere that when MWO is near release (out of Beta), there would be SLI support. So where is it?

The same place it was a month ago. The problem wasn't a lack of SLI with release; it was that the release was timed calamitously badly. UI 2.0 isn't out, DX11 isn't ready, CW is nowhere to be found, and yet they went ahead with release anyways, just so they could display the incompetence of having their "big launch" timed exactly for it to be completely overshadowed by GTA V.

Frankly, whoever made the final call on the release date should be fired.

Still, regardless of the arbitrary placing of the date at which the game was claimed to be launched, SLI is going to come when it comes, just like everything else. Hopefully that will be soon, but either way, in the meantime, you can have fun playing around with the various workarounds. Now that Nvidia has dealt with microstutter, you're at least not going to lose performance by jury rigging SLI.

Edited by Catamount, 22 September 2013 - 09:39 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users