• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 845 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:43 PM

View PostDamocles, on 13 January 2012 - 08:48 AM, said:

First off NO to console.

Second, and majorly

HOW would you make a console version of a FREE TO PLAY GAME

Have people handing out discs at the mall? wth?

Maybe, to begin with, they could offer an XBOX live arcade free download, and see what happens.

#62 Morashtak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:57 PM

Since thus game is designed to last over several years this can always be reviewed after the next XBox is released.

IF it has the capability to run the same game engine with the same controller options then this is really a moot point as someone will figure out how to deliver the code to the console. It shouldn't be easily identifiable who's playing on a PC and who's on their XBox ("Hey! Listen! He's not torso twisting (or whatever). Get him!").

If this can happen, and we're looking at least a couple years down the road, then fine, let's bring in another revenue stream.

#63 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 14 January 2012 - 03:55 AM

No need to get this game on consoles. Console is a platform for people who can't (more probably just don't want to): think, aim, move, learn, etc. and since a Mechwarrior needs all of these things, it won't be on console. Plus you can't make a F2P game there, because M$ and Sonyc doesn't allow it. :)

#64 Omigir

Can I have a hug? :(

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:01 AM

View PostFACEman Peck, on 13 January 2012 - 06:38 AM, said:

Yeah, I am saying that, because it still brings me back to the fact that the Xbox really sucks. Do you have a problem with that? If you do, you should have checked your feelings at the door.

Ha! cute, you thaught you hurt my feeling.

No, I don't have a problem with your opinion. But if you are going to come with a reason why this wont work, your opinion and feelings are not going to be factored into the equation. So you can check your feelings at the door.

#65 Red Beard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 845 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:18 AM

View PostAdridos, on 14 January 2012 - 03:55 AM, said:

No need to get this game on consoles. Console is a platform for people who can't (more probably just don't want to): think, aim, move, learn, etc. and since a Mechwarrior needs all of these things, it won't be on console. Plus you can't make a F2P game there, because M$ and Sonyc doesn't allow it. :D

And we only breathe through our mouth too...

And we drag our knuckles too, don't forget that either...

#66 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 15 January 2012 - 01:02 PM

View PostRed Beard, on 15 January 2012 - 11:18 AM, said:

And we only breathe through our mouth too...

And we drag our knuckles too, don't forget that either...

I was just reffering to the fact consoles are meant for relax, PCs for utility and PC gaming is meant for fun, but challenge too. Many console mechanics just make the game a lot easie to the point where more than half the game, you are just watching what happens and not actually playing. :D

Edited by Adridos, 15 January 2012 - 01:02 PM.

#67 Omigir

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:49 PM

View PostAdridos, on 15 January 2012 - 01:02 PM, said:

I was just reffering to the fact consoles are meant for relax, PCs for utility and PC gaming is meant for fun, but challenge too. Many console mechanics just make the game a lot easie to the point where more than half the game, you are just watching what happens and not actually playing. :D

That is not true at all. If you want to argue you an opinion, You cane make a topic in Off topic about what you think about Xbox and other consoles. n__n other wise, bring facts to the table please.

#68 UncleKulikov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 752 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 04:10 PM

First off NO to console.

Second, and majorly

First off NO to console.

Second, and majorly

DC universe online is free on PS3. Digital download, just like for PC.

Edited by UncleKulikov, 15 January 2012 - 04:11 PM.

#69 Chuckie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationHell if I don't change my ways

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:07 PM

View PostOmigir, on 08 January 2012 - 04:31 PM, said:

In no way would an xbox player have any advantage over a pc player, especially since mouse players are still on the PC and they will always have the advantage over Joystick players or controller players.

Huh..? That I have to greatly disagree with I am ditching my Mouse and first opportunity to get a new shiny Joystick.. and as much as MechAssualt was an abomination, I liked how the Xbox controller worked with the mech and plan on getting a PC version for MW:O

The advantages of an xbox release would be for those of us who can’t afford a new computer, but own an xbox, would be able to enjoy MW:O without fear of poor performance from our ****** computers. (I own a laptop that regularly over heats and shuts down on me even with a cooling pad. I have had it happen more often than not in EVE during PvP.

The only really bad thing I can see about this, would be the time and effort it would take to port the game, at that point I could see MW:O appearing in the xbox live arcade for download for something like $5 or less to help cover the cost of porting the game. Xbox also has a number of other controllers with a joystick being available for players who like joysticks.

This I can who heartly agree on.. I THOUGHT it was said years ago, the great thing about the Xbox was porting to PC and vice versa was supposed to be fairly easy..?

I Think the key would be being able to have the F2P system play via XBox Live and use MS Points to buy stuff with.. not sure if they have a game that can have players play on both PC and XBox Live..? althoguh it would be awesome.

ESPECIALLY when you go back to that whole mouse player vs Joystick/Gamepad comment.

View PostAdridos, on 15 January 2012 - 01:02 PM, said:

I was just reffering to the fact consoles are meant for relax, PCs for utility and PC gaming is meant for fun, but challenge too. Many console mechanics just make the game a lot easie to the point where more than half the game, you are just watching what happens and not actually playing.

Huh.. Gaming is gaming.. If the console can render it fast enough thats all that matters.

First off NO to console.

Second, and majorly

Being console the console players would have to pay for the disc.. still would be F2P over the Xbox Live network.

Just have to pay for the disc if you wanted to run the game as I am not sure a game that will be this big would be a good choice for having "downloaded and installed" on the Xbox hard drive.

Edited by Chuckie, 19 January 2012 - 01:12 PM.

#70 Omigir

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:49 AM

View PostChuckie, on 19 January 2012 - 01:07 PM, said:

Huh..? That I have to greatly disagree with I am ditching my Mouse and first opportunity to get a new shiny Joystick.. and as much as MechAssualt was an abomination, I liked how the Xbox controller worked with the mech and plan on getting a PC version for MW:O

This I can who heartly agree on.. I THOUGHT it was said years ago, the great thing about the Xbox was porting to PC and vice versa was supposed to be fairly easy..?

I Think the key would be being able to have the F2P system play via XBox Live and use MS Points to buy stuff with.. not sure if they have a game that can have players play on both PC and XBox Live..? althoguh it would be awesome.

ESPECIALLY when you go back to that whole mouse player vs Joystick/Gamepad comment.

Huh.. Gaming is gaming.. If the console can render it fast enough thats all that matters.

Being console the console players would have to pay for the disc.. still would be F2P over the Xbox Live network.

Just have to pay for the disc if you wanted to run the game as I am not sure a game that will be this big would be a good choice for having "downloaded and installed" on the Xbox hard drive.

So.. your going to have a xbox controller and a joystick for MW:O?

I might have an xbox controller depending on how it feels.. I am ok using a xbox controller on CODMW3 becuase its what im used to but im used to mouse and key board on MW2/3/4

#71 Chuckie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 11:57 AM

View PostOmigir, on 20 January 2012 - 07:49 AM, said:

So.. your going to have a xbox controller and a joystick for MW:O?

I might have an xbox controller depending on how it feels.. I am ok using a xbox controller on CODMW3 becuase its what im used to but im used to mouse and key board on MW2/3/4

either or .. depends on the gameplay.. I am thinking a PC version of the XBox controller I have seen and the keyboard.

That or something like this:

Posted Image

Of course if they had it on the XBox I would just use its controller..

#72 Omigir

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:03 PM

Nice! Perhaps my tasets are just too simple when it comes to controll input? Xbox does have a standard 'sidewinder' like joystick.

#73 Chuckie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:24 PM

View PostOmigir, on 20 January 2012 - 01:03 PM, said:

Nice! Perhaps my tasets are just too simple when it comes to controll input? Xbox does have a standard 'sidewinder' like joystick.

Notice on the throttle the "Rudder" that could be used for torso twist.. and if memory serves, off the rudder and it auto recenters..

The more I look at it the more I am thinking I need to go get it tonight for some MWLL action..

#74 Omigir

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:43 PM

View PostChuckie, on 20 January 2012 - 01:24 PM, said:

Notice on the throttle the "Rudder" that could be used for torso twist.. and if memory serves, off the rudder and it auto recenters.. The more I look at it the more I am thinking I need to go get it tonight for some MWLL action..

LoL that is pretty awsome man.

#75 Nik Van Rhijn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts
  • LocationLost

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:57 PM

What's an "X-box"?

#76 statler

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:09 PM

i would love it on xbox almost just cuz of community functions.

the good:

you can plug a keyboard into xbox (and even one attached to the controller), so having to simplify the controls is not an issue. and people without the keyboard, and people new to it dont need it to play pretty damn effectively with just guns, movement, and a couple basic controls on the regular controller.

xbox has a just awesome and convenient friends system for chatting with people in and out of games, and getting in the same game as your friends, and being notified when friends come online to say whats up. it really is nice, and just because if it i would play mwo on xbox over pc.

the downloadable content is nice and easy, but it will proly be double the price for the xbox cut. if you would rather put money into your pc, go for it. im happy paying double for whatever download you have to buy on pc.

any difference in player base will be almost all new people to the game. yes that brings more kids, but thats a good thing. if you cant deal with some kid being a better shot with worse tactics...well, your not ready for battle. the game needs as many people as possible in my opinion, and a good intro to the youngins like a real version of mw on xbox. besides, true trolls in my experience can only be real trouble with real game inbalances. the more people and monehy you have coming into this, the more devs we have to keep a watch on whatever cheapies people find.

the bad:

it would probably limit the graphics, and possibly some of the physics computations. im okay with getting a nerfed graphics version, but the physics need to be right.

and this sounds about right dammin :/

View PostNik Van Rhijn, on 09 January 2012 - 03:44 AM, said:

They have only been licensed for the PC. MS specifically refused for consoles - I presume that if this is a success they want to be able to do MA4 for the consoles in their own right.

Edited by statler, 20 January 2012 - 06:12 PM.

#77 Chuckie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 08:28 AM

View Poststatler, on 20 January 2012 - 06:09 PM, said:

i would love it on xbox almost just cuz of community functions.

the good:

you can plug a keyboard into xbox (and even one attached to the controller), so having to simplify the controls is not an issue. and people without the keyboard, and people new to it dont need it to play pretty damn effectively with just guns, movement, and a couple basic controls on the regular controller.

xbox has a just awesome and convenient friends system for chatting with people in and out of games, and getting in the same game as your friends, and being notified when friends come online to say whats up. it really is nice, and just because if it i would play mwo on xbox over pc.

the downloadable content is nice and easy, but it will proly be double the price for the xbox cut. if you would rather put money into your pc, go for it. im happy paying double for whatever download you have to buy on pc.

any difference in player base will be almost all new people to the game. yes that brings more kids, but thats a good thing. if you cant deal with some kid being a better shot with worse tactics...well, your not ready for battle. the game needs as many people as possible in my opinion, and a good intro to the youngins like a real version of mw on xbox. besides, true trolls in my experience can only be real trouble with real game inbalances. the more people and monehy you have coming into this, the more devs we have to keep a watch on whatever cheapies people find.

the bad:

it would probably limit the graphics, and possibly some of the physics computations. im okay with getting a nerfed graphics version, but the physics need to be right.

and this sounds about right dammin :/

Believe it or not, I don't think they would have to dumb down the graphics, CryEngine3 supports Xbox360 natively.

AS for controls.. I couldn't find the cool joystick to use for MW:LL So I went and bought a Xbox USB Controller for my PC. So I am playing MW:LL with a Xbox controller. So porting controllers shouldnt be a big problem either.

Now add to that found this gem searching for a little info:
Are Xbox LIVE and Games for Windows — LIVE two different services?

Games for Windows — LIVE and Xbox LIVE connect to the same service, so you can use the same account and have access to many of the same great features, such as multiplayer gaming, voice chat, text chat, achievements, and the same pool of Microsoft Points. Games for Windows — LIVE lets users see what their friends are doing online – using the same account as on Xbox LIVE, Zune, and Windows Phone.

So it would seem that if you have a game that is specifically "Games for Windows - LIVE" you would be able to play it either via Xbox or PC (Halo2 and Harkam city are apparently games that can do this). I have not owned a game that can yet.. But apparently the code is there to do it and maybe this is the game that makes it more readily known.

#78 Omigir

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 21 January 2012 - 08:57 AM

To answer if an Xbox came can interact with a PC game, yes. Its just simply having 1 server that both platforms talk to. Dust 514 origonaly was meant for xbox and was only dropped due to xbox having a stick up it's bumb about how frequently CCP likes to do updates.

Mostly its hurt feelings of people who dislike or are afraid of consoles that cuase people to come in and nay say the idea. That and the Dev's said no but it would probably be a nightmare to work through that red tape...

#79 Chuckie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 09:12 AM

View PostOmigir, on 21 January 2012 - 08:57 AM, said:

To answer if an Xbox came can interact with a PC game, yes. Its just simply having 1 server that both platforms talk to. Dust 514 origonaly was meant for xbox and was only dropped due to xbox having a stick up it's bumb about how frequently CCP likes to do updates.

Mostly its hurt feelings of people who dislike or are afraid of consoles that cuase people to come in and nay say the idea. That and the Dev's said no but it would probably be a nightmare to work through that red tape...

Well I would think it wouldnt be too hard to do, and since they have to optimze thier base of players, and MSFT has already stopped them from allowing the game on any other platform than PC and XBox, then it would make sense to have the game play over the Games for WIndows - LIVE and Xbox Live system.

Actually, when you think about it.. its possibly something they could get funding from Microsoft to make happen. Because I think it would be seen as a way for Microsoft to get into the MOO and F2P systems with Xbox.

It kind of makes sense if you think about it.. not saying it would happen. But it would definately open a LOT more gamers to PGI for MW:O than what the PC Gaming market will offer. Makinng the game more profitable and giving it a different edge than any of the other F2P games out there.

Think if they shared revenue with Microsoft (say 25% on any Xbox Live transaction), and all they had to do was port it for Xbox 360/720, and have it downloadable to a Xbox console, and have the game be able to connect though the XBox Live system. What would they lose..? They would only have something to gain, as aa lot of console players no longer play on PC, and PC gamers would be able to play it and introduce thier console friends to the game as well.

Seems to me since the only place MW:O has to grow outside of the PC is the Xbox Live world, so it would have to be something to consider. Maybe not at launch per se.. but definately in the near future.

#80 eXecute

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationIn Space

Posted 21 January 2012 - 09:24 AM

Ok, I know there are going to be some of you who are going to freak out like a dingo just ate your baby, or an arrow just got shot into your knee, but relax and read before you post, or if you flat out don’t like it, just say so in a short one liner instead of trying to explain yourself because you didn’t actually read any of the OP.

Before I jump into it, NO: Mech Assault is not the first Battletech based game to appear on a console.

Mechwarrior 3 Did release on the Playstation as well as other Mechwarrior tittles that appeared on SNES. So this is not some new basterdized idea that was a onetime try resulting in the abortion that we all know as Mech Assault.

The other thing that helps explain where I am coming from is another eve reference, but only a mild one. Eve online is coming out with a FPS called Dust 514 which was designed as a supplement to the already existing Eve online universe. What this means, is the actions you do in Dust 514, do affect and interact with the players of Eve who are on the PC. So it would not be a split community. Originally Dust was meant for Xbox but due to CCP’s constant updates, Xbox ended up dropping the title and it was picked up by Playstation.

On top of this, Final fantasy XI was a single community as well. PC players played with Console gamers on the same servers. This is not an impossible suggestion.

In no way am I suggesting that MW:O come out as an exclusive Xbox only title, nor am I suggesting that it become a Pay to play game.

In no way would an xbox player have any advantage over a pc player, especially since mouse players are still on the PC and they will always have the advantage over Joystick players or controller players.

The advantages of an xbox release would be for those of us who can’t afford a new computer, but own an xbox, would be able to enjoy MW:O without fear of poor performance from our ****** computers. (I own a laptop that regularly over heats and shuts down on me even with a cooling pad. I have had it happen more often than not in EVE during PvP.

The only really bad thing I can see about this, would be the time and effort it would take to port the game, at that point I could see MW:O appearing in the xbox live arcade for download for something like $5 or less to help cover the cost of porting the game. Xbox also has a number of other controllers with a joystick being available for players who like joysticks.

It’s just an idea, Take it or leave it, I don’t really see any bad cons for the community other than someone assuming that xbox live community is immature, but at that same point, all online communities have that section and none are exclusively one way or the other in the gaming world as far as I have seen. People who prefer PC will still have their preferred game as well as their joystick (depending on built in support, I know they can’t take in to account everything.)

Posted Image

Thats the first BT game I ever played..... Was in the 90's before PS even was out. MW3 for PC in 2003 is when I got into MW/BT even more.

13 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users