Early death in a 20 minute match.

600 replies to this topic

Poll: Respawn preference (366 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your preference for respawning?

1. No Spawn (170 votes [46.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 46.45%

2. Hybrid - Destroying your mech brings financial and xp strife (47 votes [12.84%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.84%

3. Free Spawn - I hate waiting, and I want to shoot stuff (16 votes [4.37%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.37%

4. Separate Servers - Let people play how they want, as long as I don't have to play with them (60 votes [16.39%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.39%

5. Limited Spawn - You get to spawn 3 times. If you lose all 3 in the first 5 minutes, you deserve to wait. (51 votes [13.93%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.93%

6. I don't care - You all are too emo (22 votes [6.01%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.01%

Vote

#1 Deamented

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:18 AM

So, I'm playing a scout and doing my job, when another scout (Perhaps a better player, perhaps just one with the luck of the fox.) sneaks up on me, and TAG's me. The Catapult off in the distance unloads, the scout unloads, and everything else gets me, Boom. A luck crit and so much damage, I'm gone. We are 5 minutes in the match, and I'm dead. What do I do for the rest of the match? Sit around and do nothing? Chat with my allies pointlessly? 15 minutes is a long time (Assuming it doesn't end fast with 5 vs 4)

We need something to do, for obvious reasons a standard re spawn would seem silly (Reinforcements have arrived... exactly like your ally that got blown up.)

So I'm here to ask about ideas. What do you think should happen? Perhaps the fallen warrior will get to ride in a vehicle aiding their allies. Nothing powerful but something that makes them fell less useless because of bad luck.

Maybe a re spawn after X minutes. If your team holds out that long, your back, even if your damaged you can now assist.

Maybe you become an infantry, fighting on the ground, and hijacking things.

Lets talk.

#2 Aegis Kleais

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:21 AM

With today's gamer reaching an all-time high in ADHD, most people who aren't dedicated to a server or group of friends simply won't wait that time and will immediately leave to find another server.

Some thing scan be done to mitigate this, but we don't know how MWO will work. It's using P2P matchmaking, so hopefully there will be an option to state your preference on server respawns (1 life vs. X lives vs. infinite lives) That will prevent players from joining servers that don't match their tastes.

But man....30 seconds respawn timeframes of thumb-twiddling are bad enough, to have to wait what could be minutes..... I don't know.

You'd want to entertain the player, but not allow them to give away information. Thing is, if players are using external comms, there's always the opportunity for them to go around the game's rules.

....I just don't know! It's a tricky area of discussion.

#3 Zyllos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:22 AM

You leave the game to join in another drop?

#4 Nik Van Rhijn

• 2,905 posts
  • LocationLost

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:23 AM

This has come up before. We won't have any part in the game (no toons). Personally I'll stay on TS with the rest of the team to see how it's going (assuming I'm not playing solo) and check out the Forum. If I'm soloing, then I'll just join another game - if you get killed out of that one you can probably still drop again with your friends.

#5 Fryulator

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:25 AM

A minigame of BT-themed pong dominates your screen for the rest of the match

#6 Hayden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

It would be nice if they gave you a way to be indirectly useful, while still being entertained.

Edited by Hayden, 10 January 2012 - 10:26 AM.

#7 ilontor

Rookie

• 3 posts

How i would fix that problem:
'Mechs only seem to be finished.

A massive blow and a lack of armor send your Scout'mech to the ground, the pilot has a 'black out' for 5 minutes or so.
After that time he can still fight with his 'Mech, although it is heavily damaged. Perhabs even without ammunition, because of intern explosions, whatsoever.

As a part of information warfare, 'Mechs need better equipment / a high pilot skill to tell a seemingly dead 'Mech from a real dead.

#8 Nik Van Rhijn

• 2,905 posts
  • LocationLost

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:27 AM

A foot through the cockpit solves that problem.

#9 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:34 AM

If there is no respawn then a match probably should not last 20 minutes unless it is manually set up between two teams. People will barely have the patience to wait 2 minutes much less 20.

#10 Rustic Dude

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 252 posts
  • LocationCastile Central HQ

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:39 AM

A broadcast of Solaris matches with loads of Pharaoh beer advertisements.

#11 Gorith

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:41 AM

I am absolutely against any kind of respawn mechanic as I feel it degrades the meaning of survival and kills (I also believe I am not alone in this view). Something for them to do while dead is fine as long as it doesn't directly influence the match. No allowing people to have death cams or anything. maybe something like a built-in TT version (similar to megamek or something) for people to play or some other little minigame.

#12 Gattling Fenn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 589 posts
  • LocationOverheating in front of a Timberwolf

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:42 AM

So, here's a suggestion that actually bases itself in game mechanics, not some random ideas. Make matches objective based. In Counter Strike, what keeps games from dragging on forever? When a majority of one side is dead, the other moves to complete its objective, usually planting a bomb or rescuing hostages. We wouldn't directly steal those objective types, but it would be good to have some motivation for the pilots aside from "kill everything" as it adds a new layer of strategy and inhibits ridiculously long games.

#13 GrimJim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationPottery Barn, $120 richer than my fellow Founders

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:56 AM

Strip poker Mechbunny style.

Guaranteed to keep the dead in their seats until the match ends

... or longer.

#14 Amarus Cameron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 703 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationDropping with the 2nd Jaguar Guard

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:00 AM

If they do not let us curse on the forum I doubt pin up poker is in the works, as much as we would love it to be :lol:

#15 Brakkyn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:02 AM

Hope that the rest of your lance or company is just as unfortunate as you were so the match is over as quickly as possible.

If you die early, you die early. It's one of the many risks you took and will take in every drop. I'd personally go make a sandwich and grab another soda.

#16 MaddMaxx

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:04 AM

Choices might be:

1) Get to select a teammate to ride along with. (FPP)
2) Leave the Instance and listen in over 3rd party Comms and see how you Team does after you got your stupid arse killed in some (doh) head move :lol:
3) Do Your Job right MechWarrior (or start your new career as a Lone Wolf) :rolleyes:

#17 Garth Erlam

• 2,756 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • YouTube: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:06 AM

"In Counter Strike, what keeps games from dragging on forever?"

Two minute rounds?

#18 Man From AUNTIE

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationWA state

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:07 AM

I like the strip poker idea.

Oooo, that locust is showing some cleavage...hur hur My Dragon is showing all its undercarriage

#19 BarHaid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationMid-Cascadia

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:08 AM

If we are allowed more than one pilot this could be as simple as switching to the other one to play another game. That way your dead/disabled pilot isn't playing in multiple matches at the same time.

#20 Caballo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 416 posts
  • Location"Mechs are mobile war machines. You're either moving, or you're dead"

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:12 AM

As always, there are two ways of being a gamer: respawners and no respawners. I'm a no respawner.

That said, i never saw a game in which you have to wait 20 minutes to get spawned again, because that time limit for a no respawn match is bit large. Anyway, i've played a few MW4 Mission play no respawn (Heat on, limited ammo, etc... always liked realism) and i died soon the first time, the rest I went smoother.

There's always the "Grunt-guy-coming-from-counterstrike", who goes plain right onto the enemy LOS and gets fried in the 1st minute of the match, and then starts bugging around "That wasn't fair, my team sucks, this game's boring" and then leave... tons of them... even in 5 minutes matches. Well, maybe you should learn to lay low when you are in a no respawn game, mate... and sure you will :lol:

EDIT: RUSTIC DUDE, ¡yo también vivo en pucela!

Edited by Caballo, 10 January 2012 - 11:15 AM.

70 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 70 guests, 0 anonymous users