Early death in a 20 minute match.

600 replies to this topic

Poll: Respawn preference (366 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your preference for respawning?

1. No Spawn (170 votes [46.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 46.45%

2. Hybrid - Destroying your mech brings financial and xp strife (47 votes [12.84%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.84%

3. Free Spawn - I hate waiting, and I want to shoot stuff (16 votes [4.37%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.37%

4. Separate Servers - Let people play how they want, as long as I don't have to play with them (60 votes [16.39%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.39%

5. Limited Spawn - You get to spawn 3 times. If you lose all 3 in the first 5 minutes, you deserve to wait. (51 votes [13.93%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.93%

6. I don't care - You all are too emo (22 votes [6.01%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.01%

Vote

#21 MaddMaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:13 AM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 10 January 2012 - 11:06 AM, said:

"In Counter Strike, what keeps games from dragging on forever?"

Two minute rounds?

Didn't play it. Anyone care to take a shot? It has to be Objectives right?

Edited by MaddMaxx, 10 January 2012 - 02:52 PM.

#22 Black Sunder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:21 AM

Learning patience never hurt anyone. Surf the net, read a book(gasp) or listen in on comms and give advice. Match is over befroe you know it and its on again.

#23 Barantor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:28 AM

World of tanks style, that mech is out for you to use till that 20 min match is up but you can log out of that match and join another while you wait with a different mech.

Hopefully you learn from whatever mistake you made and keep playing. If you are in a match with friends you can talk to them while you wait for the round to be finished, probabaly in a spectator mode where you only see what they see.

#24 Dinochrome

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 164 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, Ca.

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:32 AM

Most of the drops I ever played in hardly ever lasted the time limit. They tend to end fast. Once in a great while it took a few mins to chase down a single surviving mech. I like the idea of a sandwich and a glass of your favorite beverage to pass the time. If you can't read get someone to read you a book on Mechwarrior tactics or place a call to lady luck and sick her on your enemies. The options are infinite.

#25 Man From AUNTIE

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationWA state

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:34 AM

Well if they also do include respawn matches those shouldn't count for leveling, or maybe count less. I can see respawn matchs more for training units to work together. Back when I played MW3; I can't stand the new usage for Modern Warfare 3, it will alway be MechWarrior 3 too me; respawn battles were fun but there wasn't any tactics involved, just zerg.

#26 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:35 AM

View PostBarantor, on 10 January 2012 - 11:28 AM, said:

World of tanks style, that mech is out for you to use till that 20 min match is up but you can log out of that match and join another while you wait with a different mech.

Hopefully you learn from whatever mistake you made and keep playing. If you are in a match with friends you can talk to them while you wait for the round to be finished, probabaly in a spectator mode where you only see what they see.

This will be a great reason for me to own 4 Battlemasters.

#27 Bernardo Sinibaldi

• PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationThe Perfumed Garden, Cathay

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:35 AM

I'd say you play no further part in this match and either nip off to join another drop somewhere, head to Solaris for some mindless arena entertainment (wishful thinking!) or flick over to your other account and join a different battle altogether. If it was me, I'd ponder what I'd done wrong in the first place and be thankful of the fact that I don't get people shooting at me in real-life....

#28 John Clavell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,609 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:52 AM

/troll now we just need no heat / unlimited ammo servers!

#29 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:54 AM

A good version of it is implemented in WoT, but it has the flaw that less exp/money means less playing, etc. :rolleyes:

Maybe something like an aircraft or vehicle retrieving you or a mech and after about 1 minute of doing it, you can join another match. Not seeing the end of the match, however (you rush and die), should give you the exp right away, but a lot less of it. This is based on WoT as exp/money can be earned differently here, this is just a basic idea which can give you some good ideas on handling th eproblem you mentioned. :lol:

#30 Red Beard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 845 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:54 AM

I am all for unlimited re-spawns, in every match type.

I disagree that respawning breeds bad play. I also disagree that most gamers want respawns because they are impatient. I think that most gamers simply want to play. If you are killed in the first few minutes, it's easy to say, that what you want is to have that player not be able to respawn in that match, but it becomes different when it's you. I know that I grow my skills much faster when I can respawn and get right back into the fight. I also want to get the most out of the time that I can set aside to play. I hate to think that if I have 3 hours to play, that only one third of that time is actually used to be playing. I see that as a formula for failure. Players want to play. I don't want to play any mini-game or go do something else with the time that I have to play. I want to PLAY.

I can see no respawn matches working something like hardcore modes in other games. Other than that, this whole "respawn" issue is on thin ice. I cannot see a way to make no respawns the norm without losing a large piece of the potential player base.

#31 Wraith 1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:55 AM

Not saying this should actually happen, but it WOULD be kind of funny if you respawned as a medivac unit to go and pick up your own toasted heiny...

#32 Dakkonn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 120 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:55 AM

Hmmm I'm in favor of the no respawn camp. While early deaths will happen and there will always be times when a lucky head shot just ends your run, I prefer that if they are going for ultra realistic serious approach to MW (I E 1 day in real life = 1 day game time) they need to keep it in that same venue. Its not going to be all Q join a match type games. As far as I understand it we will be fighting for territories in game meaning dieing could result in a lose of a planet and your faction losing a key foothold. Players would take the matches more seriously meaning you may die to things like that but you would learn to play much more cautious next time. That being said some kinda of mini game would be nice or just SOMETHING for the dead player to do. NOTHING that would effect the match (or maybe in a VERY minor way) but something to keep them busy.

#33 Thorqemada

• 6,382 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:59 AM

I am leaning toward no respawn - but some missions could be designed with reinforcements available, but then imo this reinforcement should have a timer of 60 seconds or so b4 they can join again until the reinforcement counter is at zero.
So as pilot or merc group you have the choice to play like you want.

Edited by Thorqemada, 10 January 2012 - 12:17 PM.

#34 Deamented

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:00 PM

The only issue with 1 life matches, is either A waiting for friends, or B, trolls.

#35 ShoveI

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 208 posts
  • LocationSolaris

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:02 PM

I remember back on MPBT solaris during campaigns waiting patiently for quite some time after being an "early out" or after several ppl were early outs and us wondering how it was going in there. I would like to have the opportunity to ride "piggyback" with one of the members on my team just so i can see what's goin on or maybe having a birdseye view of the battle with your teams LOSD (nothing more than what your members can already bring up on view).

#36 John Clavell

• 1,609 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:08 PM

There are pros and cons to both respawn and no respawn. It's totally up to how the developers implement their design. There has always been a big divid between the two groups in the MechWarrior games I've played. PGI needs a system which pleases as many people as possible on this to be honest. I hope they have different mechanics for different types of play.

On a personal note, I want something with as much tactical leeway as possible. I don't care if I have to sit out on a match for 15 minutes. I did it for 5 years in NBT (though I did actually managed to not always be the first person to die in a 20 min match) and I loved every fecking moment of it. Hardcore competitive e-sport whatever, I'm here for that kind of experience. If it's gummy bears online, I'll be sad face.

But I understand not everyone wants to play like that. That's ok! It's up to PGI to give both groups what they want. Or risk alienating large parts of the core audience.

Edited by John Clavell, 10 January 2012 - 12:08 PM.

#37 Mims

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 185 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:20 PM

There could be multiple game types. The 20 minute 1 life games, would obviously be for players who are very team orientated and prefer tactics above all. Also there could be regular deathmatch, for the impatients, first team to 25 frags. and just as a sudden thought i had...

Un-named match type. You get a life for every weight class (you can spawn 4 times each with a different weight, and possible role) mix between tactics and impatientness. More objectivie, and obviously talking to your teammates in this would be a big thing because of deployment order. (do i keep my assault for a last defence? Or use assault first to try and weaken them initially?)

Edited by Mims, 10 January 2012 - 12:20 PM.

#38 FireForEffect

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:23 PM

I would just hate respawns in a game like this. If it was Unreal Tournament then that'd be absolutely fine but not in something where every "death" is likely to have an impact on territory. Respawns would just turn every engagement into a meatgrinder and that doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. I'm not here because I want FPS in Big Robots - I want as much of a "full real" experience as possible.

I would condone areas for unlimited respawn though. That could be solaris or particular "sim" engagements that were just for fun rather than territory. Like the simulators that Wolfs Dragoons and the other big outfits run. That way the territory / strategic engagements would still be viable and yet the people after a quicker, more deathmatchy experience can fill their boots too.

#39 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:24 PM

Respawning into the same battle would just give people the opportunity to mindlessly rush, and again, and again,.... :lol:

#40 AdamBaines

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:28 PM

I like how WOT handles PvP generic matches. Once out of commission, you can hang out and watch from other teammates perspectives, limited by only what they can see (not your dead mech POV) or you can drop out of the match. In the case where you drop out, you dont have access to the mech still in the match, but you can take another ride out into another PvP match. Once the match is over you have to repair it then can take it back out.

I am heavily against respawns even in PvP matches.

47 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 47 guests, 0 anonymous users