Early death in a 20 minute match.

600 replies to this topic

Poll: Respawn preference (366 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your preference for respawning?

1. No Spawn (170 votes [46.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 46.45%

2. Hybrid - Destroying your mech brings financial and xp strife (47 votes [12.84%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.84%

3. Free Spawn - I hate waiting, and I want to shoot stuff (16 votes [4.37%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.37%

4. Separate Servers - Let people play how they want, as long as I don't have to play with them (60 votes [16.39%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.39%

5. Limited Spawn - You get to spawn 3 times. If you lose all 3 in the first 5 minutes, you deserve to wait. (51 votes [13.93%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.93%

6. I don't care - You all are too emo (22 votes [6.01%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.01%

Vote

#41 CobraFive

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,174 posts
  • LocationAZ, USA

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:29 PM

View PostAdridos, on 10 January 2012 - 12:24 PM, said:

Respawning into the same battle would just give people the opportunity to mindlessly rush, and again, and again,.... :lol:

Teams/Players that mindlessless rush and rush again accomplish nothing compared to teamwork, even in a respawn-heavy game.

One squad of four on voice chat working together can win a 32vs32 battlefield match, easily.

#42 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,382 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:29 PM

View PostAdridos, on 10 January 2012 - 12:24 PM, said:

Respawning into the same battle would just give people the opportunity to mindlessly rush, and again, and again,.... :lol:

Yes, but as long they help paying the game its ok to me if its a question of active choice the developers give the players when signing up for a battle.

Edited by Thorqemada, 10 January 2012 - 12:30 PM.

#43 Dakkonn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 120 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:31 PM

View PostFireForEffect, on 10 January 2012 - 12:23 PM, said:

I would just hate respawns in a game like this. If it was Unreal Tournament then that'd be absolutely fine but not in something where every "death" is likely to have an impact on territory. Respawns would just turn every engagement into a meatgrinder and that doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. I'm not here because I want FPS in Big Robots - I want as much of a "full real" experience as possible.

I would condone areas for unlimited respawn though. That could be solaris or particular "sim" engagements that were just for fun rather than territory. Like the simulators that Wolfs Dragoons and the other big outfits run. That way the territory / strategic engagements would still be viable and yet the people after a quicker, more deathmatchy experience can fill their boots too.

That's a good point. The matches for territory should not have respawn meaning these are not the casual run and gun matches these are bring your serious face games. Dieing and having to wait 20+ mins will still suck but I think if you joined in you should be expecting that to be a possibility.

That being said I'm totally fine with unlimited respawn matches in "sim" situations for fun.

#44 Dranon

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:32 PM

I would like to see Mechwarrior eject in a elemental suit, like in Mechwarrior's living legends.

#45 Havoc2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 505 posts
  • LocationBarrie, ON

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:40 PM

What I would like to see is a sort of "bidding" based on the Merc contract.

If there are only 3 lances of defenders (assuming matches are 4v4) then the defenders each have 3 lives. Attackers can at most bring 1.5x the number of 'Mechs to attack the objective so they get to bring 4 lances (rounded down). Attackers get 4 lives each.

If the attackers win, they get the cash and salvage and whatever else the contract has promised, but if the attackers win they get a nice big bonus from the employer for defending against superior numbers.
These attack/defend would also have objectives so that 1 team couldn't just hide in the corner of the map and run the clock (I've seen teams do this in MW4 leagues when they knew they were outmatched).

The problem I see in attack/defend missions with no respawns is they don't even attempt to simulate a flowing battle. With limited respawns you have a moving battlefield, adapting tactics, and shifting advantages.

#46 Kenyon Burguess

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:46 PM

once down, i'd like a few things to happen.

-a timer starts if your merc group has backup mechs for you to pilot (im going to assume theres an auto-eject system in place and no one dies) this can represent the amount of time for you to be picked up and brought back to base. unlimited respawns should never be allowed in a fight but if your group has the funds to field mechs, why not use them? distance from your base should also be a factor in these calculations.

-a list of the last few weapons to hit your mech. what damage they did and from what kind of mech they were fired from. obviously if you were tagged and blindsided by a missle barrage your going to want to know about it. what the list shouldnt say is who was piloting the mech or where they were on the battlefield.

-during this i dont believe you should get any visual information on the status of the battle. sure you can hear about it on vent but if your not in a mech i dont feel you should have access to sat map info

#47 renegade mitchell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:54 PM

Die early in a 20 minute match. Take a smoke break, grab a sandwich, take a leak. Also have dead player as a ghost cam for team only.

#48 Aegis Kleais

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:56 PM

The user wants to INTERACT with the game world, even after death.

What if we put them in a small, weapon-less vehicle and allowed them to go drive around the map? The sense of scale would be an amazing (and sometimes rare) Point of View, they wouldn't really have any (in-game) communication abilities, but it allows them to stay in the "game" until it ends.

It's moreso a way to entertain those who are willing to wait the time difference (if not, others will just find another server), but it's something!

#49 CloudCobra

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 87 posts
  • LocationAnchorage,AK

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:57 PM

I think a good middle ground may be a giving a limited number of respawns per game like 1 or two then if you get lucky shotted you can have another go at it but if you do the same stupid thing again then oh well. I don't see why it needs to be unlimited or none i really don't like the sound of ether one.

#50 Sug

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,629 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:03 PM

I'm against respawns.

Though I get the feeling that the devs are trying to move away from the MW4 type of matches where you spawn pretty much within range of each other over and over ....

I thought I read in one of the blogs they they're making the maps much larger. Maybe it will take 5min to find the enemy, 5 min to come up with a plan, and the remaining 10min will be the battle?

#51 renegade mitchell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:09 PM

View PostSug, on 10 January 2012 - 02:03 PM, said:

I'm against respawns.

Though I get the feeling that the devs are trying to move away from the MW4 type of matches where you spawn pretty much within range of each other over and over ....

I thought I read in one of the blogs they they're making the maps much larger. Maybe it will take 5min to find the enemy, 5 min to come up with a plan, and the remaining 10min will be the battle?

I am not a fan of respawn either. But what I am against is the 20 minute matches if the maps will be larger then say MW4. In that game, I was in a bunch of no respawn matches that lasted an hour or more. What happens when the limited 20 minutes are up on these large maps and neither team have found one another? It does happen.

#52 renegade mitchell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:11 PM

View PostRenegade Mitchell, on 10 January 2012 - 12:54 PM, said:

Die early in a 20 minute match. Take a smoke break, grab a sandwich, take a leak. Also have dead player as a ghost cam for team only.

Went back and read my post and seems to sound mean spirited. But was not my intent, honestly. Should have added after you do all those things when you die early, and return to your computer, your team will most likely be waiting on you. :lol:

edit: spelling

Edited by Renegade Mitchell, 10 January 2012 - 02:12 PM.

#53 ManiacMike

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 12 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands (Friesland)

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:10 PM

I think there should be a puzzle minigame in which you can piece together the parts (after searching for them all over the map) of your own mech (reducing the repair costs and time). :lol:

#54 BlueDog

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:49 PM

Definitely against unlimited respawn in planetary control matches where there is a lot at stake. Might be fine in other types of "fun" matches where players are just working to sharpen their skills with nothing lost and nothing gained. I'm also against respawn in Solaris matches. If you're fighting for Solaris rank (and the associated prize money), then once you're out, you're out.

#55 Star Captain Obvious Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 500 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:53 PM

This is one of the issues that will make or break the game for me. I really don't have any interest in spending more time waiting than playing. That waiting may be waiting for the match to start, getting killed and waiting for the match to end, or even camping somewhere in game waiting for the enemy to wander into the kill zone.

I realize a lot of BT fans want a 'realistic' approach to engagements, but too much of a penalty for death and both sides will just sit back waiting for the other guys to wander into the ambush zone.

Edited by eldragon, 10 January 2012 - 05:02 PM.

#56 Cepeza

• PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationBeneath your bed!

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:16 PM

View PostDeamented, on 10 January 2012 - 10:18 AM, said:

Maybe you become an infantry, fighting on the ground, and hijacking things.

This would give MWO sorta epic immersion. I know that won't rather happen, but I'd prefer that solution for the thumb-twiddling issue. One restriction: If you die as infantry, it's final GAME OVER for that drop then.

[EDIT] Yes, I do not like the idea of respawns for MWO, because respawns are way too magic even for the logic-off-Battletech universe.

Edited by Cepeza, 10 January 2012 - 05:19 PM.

#57 Gorith

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:27 PM

Easy solution to death is also what we do in eve when camped ot heavily... watch a bit of a movie or the next episode of whatever series your into.

#58 Dlardrageth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts
  • LocationF.R.G.

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:40 PM

Oh snap, I died only 5 minutes into the match, what to do, what to do?
  • Get another (cold) beer from the fridge.
  • Write down an actual note on a post-it and stick it to the screen's edge: "Leeroy Jenkins didn't get publicity for his awesome scouting skills..."
  • Start to write an AAR for the unit... because whoever dies first gets that ****** job.
  • Check the MWO forums for the newest troll outbreak.
  • Go to my Mech hangar and fetch another ride to go into the next match.
  • Make fun of the nOOb who died even before me because he thinks "tactics" is some sort of iPod applet.
And ultimately - make more fun of the nOOb who starts whining he died so fast and now has to totally waste 10 minutes of his real life doing something else. :lol:

View PostRenegade Mitchell, on 10 January 2012 - 02:09 PM, said:

I am not a fan of respawn either. But what I am against is the 20 minute matches if the maps will be larger then say MW4. In that game, I was in a bunch of no respawn matches that lasted an hour or more. What happens when the limited 20 minutes are up on these large maps and neither team have found one another? It does happen.

Then both teams utterly failed at understanding game mechanics and scouting and deservedly lost 20 minutes for nothing. What do you expect? Some PGI representative dropping in and handing out cookies because both teams were so incompetent that they couldn't even get the enemy spotted during 20 minutes? This is one of the occasions where the "Learn2Play" meme hits the point spot on.

2 teams of 12 Mechs each and noone managed to spot an enemy during 20 minutes? Sounds rather pathetic... and like completely the player's very own fault.

Edited by Dlardrageth, 10 January 2012 - 05:46 PM.

#59 Octobit

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 29 posts
  • LocationVictoria, Australia

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:03 PM

What about the player having access to the Battlegrid? Like having a person off the battlefield helping them?

#60 Sturmbb

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 52 posts
  • LocationKissimmee , fl

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:17 PM

Personally i think World of tanks did this one right. You die you can jump out of the fight and join another fight in another mech you have sitting in your hanger. The other mech is not availible till the first match is done then you need to repair and rearm as needed .

34 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 34 guests, 0 anonymous users