Early death in a 20 minute match.

600 replies to this topic

Poll: Respawn preference (366 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your preference for respawning?

1. No Spawn (170 votes [46.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 46.45%

2. Hybrid - Destroying your mech brings financial and xp strife (47 votes [12.84%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.84%

3. Free Spawn - I hate waiting, and I want to shoot stuff (16 votes [4.37%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.37%

4. Separate Servers - Let people play how they want, as long as I don't have to play with them (60 votes [16.39%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.39%

5. Limited Spawn - You get to spawn 3 times. If you lose all 3 in the first 5 minutes, you deserve to wait. (51 votes [13.93%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.93%

6. I don't care - You all are too emo (22 votes [6.01%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.01%

Vote

#421 dh crow

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:09 PM

Hehe, no worries. Debating terms are a little overused on the net, and eventually their perceived definitions start to wander.

#422 Omigir

Can I have a hug? :(

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:15 PM

I don't debate online very often.. this is the first thing I have really been passionateabout to really join a actual forum for it and lay down some pipe so to speak. o__O

#423 MtnMan

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 30 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:26 PM

The ride along with a fellow teammate might alleviate a bit of the downtime. Perhaps being able to go from Mech to Mech on your own team but only as an observer is an idea. Im just glad this is a problem. :)

#424 Garuss Acine

• PipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 73 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:41 PM

I have to say this whole "you'll not be able to play" is just silliness. there are ways to to have no respawn but, still not cut from play. I really do hope they stick to the WOT style of, your dead and your tank is dead, but you can switch tanks and go to another battlefield. this would keep the to feel of the back ground, while appeasing the ADHD needs of people to play play play, the wait would be no longer than a normal spawn(baring computer speeds and such).

#425 Steel Talon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:38 PM

I dont like the core WoT gamemode, too mainstream & turning into campfest easy
Just hope that new ones bring more diversity into WoT

COD has nice gamemode called headquarters, its like king of the hill, only u never know, where the objective spawn
+ it will change spot after a while
This mode will require respawns tough

#426 Metal Fish

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:59 PM

If you die, then you die, and that should be the end of it. You should be alowed to leave the game, join a new one that is just starting, and still get all the experince you would have got if you had stayed.

If you are playing with a group of buddies or something, then you'll just have to suck it up and wait for the match to end if you want to play with them again.

Edited by Metal Fish, 16 January 2012 - 04:06 PM.

#427 Commander Melvin

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationMy empire

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:20 PM

The multiple pilot idea sounds pretty good id say. if you look at WOT (for those of you that have ever played) there are no respawns, but it's nice to be able to leave one match and and join another with a different tank/pilot/mech... while your wreck stays in the first match until it is over. This really helps to make no respawns in long matches bearable.

#428 Zakski

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:20 PM

View PostMetal Fish, on 16 January 2012 - 03:59 PM, said:

If you die, then you die, and that should be the end of it.

I am Aleksandr Kerensky, and I am here to ask you a question. Is an ejected pilot not entitled to his revenge?

'No,' says the man in tehCasualz, 'it belongs to all dead pilots.'
'No,' says the man in tehHardcorez, 'it belongs to His Teammates.'
'No,' says the man in Marketing, 'it belongs to the Dev Team.'

I rejected those answers. Instead, I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose...

A Hybrid Spawn System.

Seriously though its the most natural thing, It balances aggression gained by knowing you can respawn, with caution imbued by the fact you need to eject to respawn. Add on top of that limited respawns for a team to represent limited resources and it could work quite well.

Edited by Zakski, 16 January 2012 - 04:20 PM.

#429 Metal Fish

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:23 PM

Ok, what I mean is, if your mech is destroyed, you shouldn't be allowed to respawn in that match. If you want to play more you should just leave the match and find a new one. And doing this should NOT be detramental to your experince earned.

#430 Zakski

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:28 PM

View PostMetal Fish, on 16 January 2012 - 04:23 PM, said:

Ok, what I mean is, if your mech is destroyed, you shouldn't be allowed to respawn in that match. If you want to play more you should just leave the match and find a new one. And doing this should NOT be detramental to your experince earned.

well now thats a bit unrealistic. On top of that leaving your friends ( and make no mistake this game is gunna be primarily team-based/focus on planetary stuff) isn't an option.

#431 Omigir

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:51 PM

View PostZakski, on 16 January 2012 - 04:20 PM, said:

I am Aleksandr Kerensky, and I am here to ask you a question. Is an ejected pilot not entitled to his revenge?

'No,' says the man in Marketing, 'it belongs to the Dev Team.'

I rejected those answers. Instead, I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose...

A Hybrid Spawn System.

Seriously though its the most natural thing, It balances aggression gained by knowing you can respawn, with caution imbued by the fact you need to eject to respawn. Add on top of that limited respawns for a team to represent limited resources and it could work quite well.

Has a point.

#432 Refizul

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:07 PM

After reading my way through this thread I must say I find the stubbornness of the "We want respawn" minority amusing. Because normally it's the other way around. :)
Now as long as I don't have to play it that way and the "real" matches are not respawn till the time is up you can have your cake. One point that I still want to raise is that when you have any kind of respawn the amunition limitation becomes affected or with constant respawn completely worthless. People are going to put as many big guns on their mechs as possible and go in guns blazing. And if you don't give them back their amunition at the respawn they will complain about not being able to play as they want. Basically, as long as respawning allows for any kind of abuse people will be doing just that. Especially if they can argue "It's a free game anyway".

Also there has the point being raised that the game needs to carter to COD style gamers because that's the way to make money. I just want to point out that for F2P games the people that really spent money on it lies in the 0.5% to 6% (numbers are from wikipedia) range of the total player base. Even if the number is 10% it's still going to be the Battletech fans that make up quite a large part of that. But as many have pointed out you still should have something that helps new players into the game.

#433 Omigir

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:16 PM

View PostRefizul, on 16 January 2012 - 05:07 PM, said:

After reading my way through this thread I must say I find the stubbornness of the "We want respawn" minority amusing. Because normally it's the other way around. :)
Now as long as I don't have to play it that way and the "real" matches are not respawn till the time is up you can have your cake. One point that I still want to raise is that when you have any kind of respawn the amunition limitation becomes affected or with constant respawn completely worthless. People are going to put as many big guns on their mechs as possible and go in guns blazing. And if you don't give them back their amunition at the respawn they will complain about not being able to play as they want. Basically, as long as respawning allows for any kind of abuse people will be doing just that. Especially if they can argue "It's a free game anyway".

Also there has the point being raised that the game needs to carter to COD style gamers because that's the way to make money. I just want to point out that for F2P games the people that really spent money on it lies in the 0.5% to 6% (numbers are from wikipedia) range of the total player base. Even if the number is 10% it's still going to be the Battletech fans that make up quite a large part of that. But as many have pointed out you still should have something that helps new players into the game.

Also Good points.

Also, training mode. problem solved n__n

#434 Gremlich Johns

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:04 PM

What to do the rest of the match after getting yourself eliminated early on as a threat?

Reflect on what you need to do the next match to avoid a repeat performance. Like maybe not be the scout.

#435 Dlardrageth

• 1,198 posts
  • LocationF.R.G.

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:19 PM

View PostZakski, on 16 January 2012 - 04:20 PM, said:

'No,' says the man in Marketing, 'it belongs to the Dev Team.' [...]

Three words: "Terrible marketing team". :)

Revenge doesn't grant you income, thus is no economical factor, thus nothing marketing should focus upon.

#436 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:06 PM

View PostRed Beard, on 12 January 2012 - 09:45 AM, said:

I think that if they limit respawns, or have no respawns, then they will most likely have some sort of way to have in-battle repairs. Maybe using salvage, or using some kind of specialty attachment. The pilot has to have as many means to value his mech as possible. If a scout mech can retreat and take 30 seconds to regain 15 percent of the damage that he took, that would give balance to not respawning. I would not be surprised to see some kind of this element to MWO.

Oh yeah, an ingame repair bay and the like would be interesting. You would hve to withdraw from the fight, return to base and repair, come back and hope your front line isnt gone when you return. That would be good.

#437 Omigir

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:22 AM

I am still waiting on a pro 'Free Spawn' person to come up with a system that supports Mech Maintenance/after match repairs as well as does not degrade Amo limitation and Information Warfare.

Legitimately

View PostOmigir, on 14 January 2012 - 08:49 AM, said:

As a side bar note, THE GAME SHOULD NEVER EVER EVER SACRIFICE ITS GAME PLAY TO MAKE ITSELF 'MORE PLAYABLE'
<Microsoft did this and that is how we got Mechassault. >

People that suggest a 'respawn' because they think people wont come play should probably just leave... really. If this were at all true, no one would play WoT or EVE or any other simulator game. And all of these games are thriving and are actually expanding.

So take a step back, take a look at what 'Mechwarrior: Online' is. Take note, it is not CoD, Battlefeild, Socom or any other FPS. It is a mech piloting simulator game.

It is not going to be a game, from the get go, that all people can just jump into be automatically good and have everything. There will be a learning curve. That does not mean a new player is going to die the first time, and they will quit.

If that were the case, the first lost match because they sucked and rushed over and over in a respawn game, they would still quit. After a score of like 2 and 30 they definitely would have as much chance of sticking around if they had 0/1. Particularly when they get out of that 2/30 game and had to pay to have their mech repaired 30 times.

And lastly, 'new players' will have a disadvantage compared to vets no mater what the game style, vets will always know what is going on before a new player. They will also have XP vetted mechs and pilots. So are you going to ask that they take away XP from Mechs and Pilots too so New players wont quit?

Edited by Omigir, 17 January 2012 - 04:24 AM.

#438 Steel Talon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 05:44 AM

Some kind of supply drops & repair bays would make reapawns possible, key is to make game objective based, not a kind of kill hunt

#439 Omigir

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 17 January 2012 - 05:54 AM

View Poststeel talon, on 17 January 2012 - 05:44 AM, said:

Some kind of supply drops & repair bays would make reapawns possible, key is to make game objective based, not a kind of kill hunt

Ok, its a start. But that does not explain how that works for c-bill costs. Rapairs are not free and cost rescourses. and if you talking like the guys mech gets destroyed, he will have to pay for a replacment. you get a mech destroyed more then 3 or 4 times in a match, not only he he making no money for that match, he is spending all his savings.

unless you are sugesting a MW4 style game where there are no C-bills and everything is free and available from start?

#440 Refizul

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:57 AM

If you add supply drops, repair bays, salvage vehicles, etc. to make respawning seem at least a little realistic you make the game more complicated. Which is pretty much the oposite of the simple respawn deathmatch some want. Also, as Omigir said, that leaves the question of how you pay for it. A new player that spends all his C-Bills on his first matches is going to be pretty frustrated.
I think the idea of a training match kinda mapmode which has no influence on anything else in the game would be the simplest solution to the whole problem. Maybe the devs can come up with something better once the game has been around for a while.

As a side note:
I would love to drive around in a salvage vehicle after I'm shot out of my mech to earn some money/reduce the repair costs.

34 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 34 guests, 0 anonymous users