7732 replies to this topic

#161 Dihm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:36 AM

View PostCyttorak, on 24 November 2011 - 11:27 AM, said:

I think the KungsArme is the whole FRRs forces, like the AFFS is the whole of the Armed Forces of the Federated Suns. Schemes come from the regimental level, from groups like 3rd Drakon and 1st Tyr. Here's a link to the Sarna.net page for the KungsArme.

As hayden mentioned, everything we've found has stated that many of the KungsArme units used an identical paint scheme for parade, and "appropriate camo" for the field. The 1st Tyr is the exception.

Field Manual: ComStar, p. 67

Like all other KungsArmé regiments save the 1st Tyr, the Third used the KungsArmé light blue paint scheme, highlighted by grays and reds when on parade, adopting appropriate camouflage as required.

Edited by Dihm, 28 November 2011 - 05:37 AM.

#162 Hayden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 05:44 AM

Hi All!

More images on pages 1,2,3,5,6,7 and 8.

First image for this post, and the last one for tonight, is a conjectural scheme for a Hunchback of the St. Ives Armored Cavalry. Given the lack of reference material, I had to keep it relatively simplistic. The base coat, and insignia are accurate; however, the placement of the insignia, trim and the color of the trim are conjectural. St. Ives shares a lot of the reference problems that the FRR has. Hard to find material for a lot of units, but I wanted to do something from the SIAC for a while, so I just decided to use what I could find and guess at the rest.
Posted Image

EDIT: Atlas in the old Paint scheme of the Davion Assault Guards. I'm not sure if this was used in all Davion Guards units, or just the Assault Guards. This is the paint scheme presented in the old Camo Specs book.
Posted Image

EDIT: 1st Robinson Rangers Jenner per request. I've wanted to put "Hustler" on a 'mech for a long time, but it never quite felt right before.
Posted Image

EDIT: This is a semi-canonical 14th Donegal Guards scheme. While the base coat is fairly accurate and the placement of the 14th Donegal logo is correct, the placement of the Steiner logos is conjectural. The green and white striping and similarly colored elements are non-canonical and is intended to be unique to this particular 'mech. On a personal note, I felt the regular 14th Donegal scheme was WAY too plain (It's basically just a light-slate-gray/blue-gray with numbers and unit/house insignia.
Posted Image

EDIT: This is a request for Kay Wolf. I took a couple creative liberties, which I hope are acceptable (mainly the shade of yellow and the stripe on the torso). Colonel, if you're not pleased, I can go back and make changes are are necessary. Also, if you want, I can post a larger version of your unit insignia.
Posted Image

EDIT: I did the insignia as a request last night for "Murphy's Law" one of the up-and-coming mercenary units that will be populating MWO's servers. I wanted to do something non-canon, so I went ahead and read the statement prepared by "Murphy's Law" and found that they had some base guidelines for 'mech coloring. So, for fun I decided to give the insignia a place to be. Everything on this is conjectural. EDIT: And Yeah. That is a 'mech-and-a-half kill count. makes you wonder what happened to the other half...
Posted Image

EDIT: Atlas of the 1st St. Ives Lancers. Because even little St. Ives needs a some love an attention. And Assault 'mechs. Though a Victor would be more appropriate. Or even a blackjack. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink.
Posted Image

EDIT: Last one for tonight. This one was just for fun.
Posted Image

EDIT: Smoke Jaguar Beta Galaxy Hunchback IIC "Panther's Paw". Point 2. Beta Galaxy uses yellow eyes that peer from the "fog" of their 'mechs as kill counters. This particular Jag has 3 kills.
Posted Image

EDIT: Last one for page 9. A Hunchback IIC of the 30th Mechanized Strike Cluster "Lightninghorse" (Alpha Galaxy). For a long time and for personal reasons, I've wanted to dub a 'mech "Thunderhorse". I referenced the rest of the Touman and finding no evidence of any unit called "Thunderhorse" I went ahead and dubbed this 'mech with that title. Yes, those are lightning bolts coming from the prancing horse's feet.
Posted Image

Thanks for watching! And Goodnight!

Edited by Hayden, 01 December 2011 - 06:15 PM.

#163 Max OConnor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 731 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationLebanon, TN

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:26 AM

I LOVE the Great Wyrm redo. Your work is amazing Hayden. Much appreciation from us all for the time to do this great stuff.

#164 Garth Erlam

• 2,756 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • YouTube: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:56 AM

This stuff is awesome guys, especially you Hayden, we're all watching with interest here ;)

#165 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 29 November 2011 - 12:01 PM

@Garth Erlam... out of likes... LIKE

Hayden, I'm running an ancient program for graphics, and I've never been able to figure out how to make layers, and never been able to afford, or really liked, any of the newer programs. If I can get together a package, details, and my own camo scheme, would you be willing to help an old merc out, please?

If necessary, let me know what elements you would like to see, and I'll fill those requirements to the best of my ability. Thank you.

#166 Cyttorak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • LocationAlbany, OR, USA

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:46 PM

Ok, here it is...Skye Jaegers Atlas:
Posted Image

#167 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:56 PM

Thanks all, it's always nice to hear from people!

View PostKay Wolf, on 29 November 2011 - 12:01 PM, said:

@Garth Erlam... out of likes... LIKE

Hayden, I'm running an ancient program for graphics, and I've never been able to figure out how to make layers, and never been able to afford, or really liked, any of the newer programs. If I can get together a package, details, and my own camo scheme, would you be willing to help an old merc out, please?

If necessary, let me know what elements you would like to see, and I'll fill those requirements to the best of my ability. Thank you.

Colonel, I am more than pleased to take requests, and am especially excited at the notion of doing an original request. The bulk of the stuff I do are existing units, so this would be a neat project. Here's what I would like from you:
-Colors (Hex numbers work best. This is a good reference: http://en.wikipedia..../List_of_colors )
-Pattern (flat, tigerstripe, flecktarn, I can do it all! Also tell me if there are things like racing stripes, gradients or certain panels that need it)
-'Mech (we have a few to choose from, the four official releases, plus my "poor-man's" Hunchback IIC and Great Wyrm).
-Unit Insignia (you can provide these, or have me whip some up, but I'll need details).
-Any little bits of flair, or detail. Nose art, warning signs, and so on.

View PostGarth Erlam, on 29 November 2011 - 09:56 AM, said:

This stuff is awesome guys, especially you Hayden, we're all watching with interest here ;)

Thank you, sir!

View PostCyttorak, on 29 November 2011 - 02:46 PM, said:

Posted Image

HELL YES! :o

Edited by Hayden, 29 November 2011 - 02:56 PM.

#168 VEDRFOLNIR

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationMidwest USA

Posted 29 November 2011 - 04:12 PM

*drools*

Folks, this art is just pure awesome. That is all. ;)

#169 Demi-Precentor Konev

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 386 posts
  • LocationDnepropetrovsk, Galedon Military District

Posted 29 November 2011 - 04:33 PM

Nice! This has inspired me to attempt this again - going to try to paint an Atlas in 1st Royal Guards colors. Nobody wait up on me though, it may go poorly. ;)

Edit: I think I discovered the problem - I am still using CS3. Someone mentioned something about GIMP?

Edited by lahyenne, 29 November 2011 - 05:00 PM.

#170 Raghnall

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia

Posted 29 November 2011 - 04:37 PM

This thread is... Wow, fantastic! You are very talented with these camo schemes. Plus adding all the interesting markings and decals. Great stuff here.

Piranha games, I hope you are paying attention to this thread!

#171 revanus

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 05:09 PM

This thread is absolutely amazing.

Because great artists need inspiration, I'll toss in two requests ;) :

14th Donegal Guards

1st Robinson Rangers

For the record, every time this thread gets updated, I get a happy feeling.

#172 Carnivore

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 101 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia, USA

Posted 29 November 2011 - 05:09 PM

View PostHayden, on 08 November 2011 - 09:43 PM, said:

EDIT: Com Guard 3rd Army Atlas. Because I haven't had anything Com Guard related since I started this thread.
Posted Image

Did you have to put the comstar logo right there? ;)

#173 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 05:30 PM

View Postrevanus, on 29 November 2011 - 05:09 PM, said:

This thread is absolutely amazing.

Because great artists need inspiration, I'll toss in two requests ;) :

14th Donegal Guards

1st Robinson Rangers

For the record, every time this thread gets updated, I get a happy feeling.

That's a good mentality :o

View PostCarnivore, on 29 November 2011 - 05:09 PM, said:

Did you have to put the comstar logo right there? :lol:

It was the only place where it really fit right... I mean, that panel was basically created for the Comstar logo.

#174 CG Anastasius Focht

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 29 November 2011 - 06:18 PM

Love the ComStar Livery, May i repost it in our forums ?

#175 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 06:41 PM

View Post[CG]Anastasius Focht, on 29 November 2011 - 06:18 PM, said:

Love the ComStar Livery, May i repost it in our forums ?

Go for it

#176 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 06:41 PM

I snipped the image to cut back on scroll-finger, but it really is beautiful... very nicely done. I have been absolutely thoroughly impressed with all I've seen thus far; thank you, guys, especially you Hayden, for helping me get my 'Mech imagination going.

Okay, the following is proving to be long-winded, even for me... I apologize and, of course, if this is too much, please discuss it with me and we'll work to tone it down, alright? I'm just extremely grateful... thank you.

View PostHayden, on 29 November 2011 - 02:56 PM, said:

Colonel, I am more than pleased to take requests, and am especially excited at the notion of doing an original request. The bulk of the stuff I do are existing units, so this would be a neat project. Here's what I would like from you:

-Colors (Hex numbers work best. This is a good reference: http://en.wikipedia..../List_of_colors )
-Pattern (flat, tigerstripe, flecktarn, I can do it all! Also tell me if there are things like racing stripes, gradients or certain panels that need it)
Actually, a friend of mine from late MechWarrior 3, early 4 days made a somewhat unique camo pattern for me... I don't know if it's possible, so if not, let me know and we'll see about going with more solid colors, k?

Posted Image

The blue might need to be reduced to something that is less than neon -unless I'm the only one who sees it that way-, but I'll leave that to your capable hands... I swear, this used to look darker to me...

Also, some thick and thin caution strips as you've done on some other 'Mechs to this point... I think those are absolutely essential to combat machines, having been an Army helicopter mechanic for fifteen or so years, now, hehe.

-'Mech (we have a few to choose from, the four official releases, plus my "poor-man's" Hunchback IIC and Great Wyrm).
The standard Hunchback would be fine with me, please? I really would love to see what Mr. Iglesias would do with a Wolverine; I understand the Unseen can't be used, unless pretty heavily modified, but the latest Japanimation Wolverine is too slender, doesn't have enough chutzpah to it.

-Unit Insignia (you can provide these, or have me whip some up, but I'll need details).
I need to try and find my flat version, though to be honest, I'm not sure I have it, anymore. Right, I do not have the flat standard, anymore; fortunately, this is a geometric shape, so it should be easy to bring out. Hopefully, this can be placed somewhere on the upper portion of the 'Mech, though I understand space restrictions. Also, the 1st Battalion logo is below the unit logo, and I think it would almost be perfect on the front of the AC/20, somehow, hehe.

Posted ImageThis is the unit standard, and...

Posted Image and this is for the Battalion.

-Any little bits of flair, or detail. Nose art, warning signs, and so on.
Along the base of the head, perhaps horizontal along the torso near the cockpit, "Gideon", in some dark gold or silver lettering, maybe some kill markers, at your discretion, and the 'Mech number 777, anywhere. Also if it would be possible, some nose art...

Posted Image

Thank you, sir!
Oh, my... no... thank you. I'm not sure if this is too racy or not, but I understand the average age of this community is 30, so hopefully it's not too bad.

Oh, and don't go to the link... I never went there before now, but have just found out it's a **** site... fortunately, the text is only in the image, and not a bloody link. I did NOT get this from there, by the way (red-faced).

Edited by Kay Wolf, 29 November 2011 - 06:44 PM.

#177 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 11:24 PM

View PostKay Wolf, on 29 November 2011 - 06:41 PM, said:

I need to try and find my flat version, though to be honest, I'm not sure I have it, anymore. Right, I do not have the flat standard, anymore; fortunately, this is a geometric shape, so it should be easy to bring out. Hopefully, this can be placed somewhere on the upper portion of the 'Mech, though I understand space restrictions. Also, the 1st Battalion logo is below the unit logo, and I think it would almost be perfect on the front of the AC/20, somehow, hehe.

Posted ImageThis is the unit standard, and...

Posted Image and this is for the Battalion.

Along the base of the head, perhaps horizontal along the torso near the cockpit, "Gideon", in some dark gold or silver lettering, maybe some kill markers, at your discretion, and the 'Mech number 777, anywhere. Also if it would be possible, some nose art...

Ok, I've started on applying the Camo, technique I'm using is a bit unorthodox, but I think it should work to your liking. Um, I need to know, where you would like the the insignia and numbers. A lot of units have preordained locations for those, but others have no "fixed" location. Just want your input so I get it right. Also I need to know what color you want the caution stripes and numbers to be.

EDIT: as an aside, no need to worry about giving me "flat" insignia, it'll just take a couple minutes to edit the ones provided.

Edited by Hayden, 30 November 2011 - 03:23 AM.

#178 Alex Wolfe

• 2,359 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 02:19 AM

View PostDigitalStef, on 07 November 2011 - 01:36 PM, said:

Posted Image

Pirates Beware!

I guess that's what you call "a 'mech in mint condition".

View PostHayden, on 16 November 2011 - 10:33 AM, said:

EDIT: I think today is for the Dragon. 5th Sword of Light Jenner. Probably the most basic paint scheme ever. From what I understand, Sword of Light units are never painted in anything other than red and unit markings, no customization or anything. Anyone else know anything about 'em?
Posted Image

The most plausible explanation I can think of is because Sword of Light are supposed to be an "especially-elite" Kurita unit. Color red/vermilion (朱: "aka/shu", as opposed to 赤: "aka/seki", which is simply "red") holds a special significance in the Japanese national religion of Shinto - most notably, shrines and torii (the "gates" near the shrines) are colored like this.

Posted Image

Posted Image

It stands to reason that Kurita could paint their "sacred" unit in same color. The minimalistic color scheme fits well with the traditional Japanese aestetics as well. It may seem a bit sacrilegious, perhaps - yet probably no more than using crosses for "paladins" in fantasy art.

Edited by Alex Wolfe, 30 November 2011 - 04:33 AM.

#179 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 06:40 AM

View PostHayden, on 29 November 2011 - 11:24 PM, said:

Ok, I've started on applying the Camo, technique I'm using is a bit unorthodox, but I think it should work to your liking.
Well, I can't wait to see it. ;)

Um, I need to know, where you would like the the insignia and numbers. A lot of units have preordained locations for those, but others have no "fixed" location. Just want your input so I get it right. Also I need to know what color you want the caution stripes and numbers to be.
Okay. How about the "777" on the upper-left portion of the left leg, "Gideon" toward the back-side of the head, on the 45-down angle, and the nose art on the left panel over the stomach (left-hand torso, as you're facing it). I know it's nose art, but looking at some of the previous BattleMech art, such as my favorite Warhammer pic -the succubus on the lower left leg-, it seems the art can actually go anywhere it fits.

I hope that will help?

#180 Amarus Cameron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 703 posts
  • LocationDropping with the 2nd Jaguar Guard

Posted 30 November 2011 - 07:44 AM

View PostDamocles, on 16 November 2011 - 08:11 PM, said:

oh hello kitty... lol

Clan Smoke Jaguar is not a kitteh! We are great cats...difference, one paws at you and you go awwwww, the other paws at you and your legs are now bloody stumps. FEAR THE JAGUAR!

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users