#181 Amarus Cameron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 703 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationDropping with the 2nd Jaguar Guard

Posted 30 November 2011 - 07:53 AM

Also for the Alpha Galaxy one...nice, never actually saw it in the mix...so much is posted here I missed it. And I dunno where it was said that I asked for Alpha Galaxy? Cool but I am actually a Beta Galaxy man myself, 2nd Jaguar Guards all the way! The Hunchback IIC and Stormcrow B were two widely used designs among the clans that were heavily favored by my Clan. the Hunchback because it is cheap with big guns and the Stormcrow because it is fast with big guns ;)

Could you possibly run up a Hunchback IIC in Beta Galaxy Colors?

#182 Hayden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 11:00 AM

View PostAmarus Cameron, on 30 November 2011 - 07:44 AM, said:

Clan Smoke Jaguar is not a kitteh! We are great cats...difference, one paws at you and you go awwwww, the other paws at you and your legs are now bloody stumps. FEAR THE JAGUAR!

He was actually referencing the little Hello Kitty I put just above the barrel of the AC/20 on a hunchback on page 6. But I do appreciate your enthusiasm.

View PostAmarus Cameron, on 30 November 2011 - 07:53 AM, said:

Also for the Alpha Galaxy one...nice, never actually saw it in the mix...so much is posted here I missed it. And I dunno where it was said that I asked for Alpha Galaxy? Cool but I am actually a Beta Galaxy man myself, 2nd Jaguar Guards all the way! The Hunchback IIC and Stormcrow B were two widely used designs among the clans that were heavily favored by my Clan. the Hunchback because it is cheap with big guns and the Stormcrow because it is fast with big guns ;)

Could you possibly run up a Hunchback IIC in Beta Galaxy Colors?

Anything is possible...

View PostAlex Wolfe, on 30 November 2011 - 02:19 AM, said:

The most plausible explanation I can think of is because Sword of Light are supposed to be an "especially-elite" Kurita unit. Color red/vermilion (朱: "aka/shu", as opposed to 赤: "aka/seki", which is simply "red") holds a special significance in the Japanese national religion of Shinto - most notably, shrines and torii (the "gates" near the shrines) are colored like this.

It stands to reason that Kurita could paint their "sacred" unit in same color. The minimalistic color scheme fits well with the traditional Japanese aestetics as well. It may seem a bit sacrilegious, perhaps - yet probably no more than using crosses for "paladins" in fantasy art.

Gold star, sir. I don't know if it's what the BT folks had in mind when they picked the color, but I like your take on it, interesting read.

EDIT:

View PostELH_Imp, on 30 November 2011 - 11:19 AM, said:

Oh... Russian hunchie "gorbun" just nice.

I try to give the stuff an "international" flavor. Not everyone in outer space speaks English.

View PostAlex Wolfe, on 30 November 2011 - 11:37 AM, said:

Well, since Star Wars' Imperial Stormtroopers were supposedly influenced by white being a color of death in Japan... I'm hoping that this explanation isn't too far-fetched.

By the way, excellent work on those paint jobs and remodeling! You really make those mechs look like they are "someone's own, personal" machine, some good sense there.

One thing though - aren't Hunchback IIC's supposed to be pretty much "walking coffins"? I realize people are starved for Clan mechs, but I doubt a Star Commander or above would pilot those - rather the old, the no-longer-fit, or disgraced. Hunchback is a mean brawler in the Inner Sphere, but I've read that the Clans mostly see their refit as cheap, borderline suicide shock troops.

Yeah, i acknowledge the Hunchback IIC is basically a death sentence in many cases, but not universally. I understand that they are sometimes used in duels and in other cases, and the 'mech remains in front line use. So while I am inclined to agree with your take on things, it is with some reservation. I felt a Star Commander in a Hunchback IIC was feasible, but very unlikely. Maybe Freeborn? Maybe an officer who had done well to a point and then things stated going awry? Maybe an older warrior in a second-line unit? I'll agree that it may not have been the best choice, but it's one that I am comfortable with, and you bring up a good point.

Edited by Hayden, 30 November 2011 - 11:54 AM.

#183 ELHImp

Com Guard

• 1,846 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationRussia

Posted 30 November 2011 - 11:19 AM

View PostHayden, on 25 November 2011 - 09:56 PM, said:

EDIT: 4th Marik Militia Hunchback. The 4th a special case, because they use a different paint scheme. Unlike the normal purple base with red and blue highlights, the 4th uses a blue and gray scheme.

Oh... Russian hunchie "gorbun" just nice.

#184 Alex Wolfe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,359 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 11:37 AM

View PostHayden, on 30 November 2011 - 11:00 AM, said:

Gold star, sir. I don't know if it's what the BT folks had in mind when they picked the color, but I like your take on it, interesting read.

Well, since Star Wars' Imperial Stormtroopers were supposedly influenced by white being a color of death in Japan... I'm hoping that this explanation isn't too far-fetched.

By the way, excellent work on those paint jobs and remodeling! You really make those mechs look like they are "someone's own, personal" machine, some good sense there.

One thing though - aren't Hunchback IIC's supposed to be pretty much "walking coffins"? I realize people are starved for Clan mechs, but I doubt a Star Commander or above would pilot those - rather the old, the no-longer-fit, or disgraced. Hunchback is a mean brawler in the Inner Sphere, but I've read that the Clans mostly see their refit as cheap, borderline suicide shock troops.

Edited by Alex Wolfe, 30 November 2011 - 11:38 AM.

#185 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 30 November 2011 - 12:26 PM

I can't get over how awesome the Hunchback with my colors on it looks. Thank you, Hayden. <S>

Others have done so, and out of respect for both your work and Alex', may I please post that on my Facebook page and on our web site for AU?

#186 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 12:29 PM

View PostKay Wolf, on 30 November 2011 - 12:26 PM, said:

I can't get over how awesome the Hunchback with my colors on it looks. Thank you, Hayden. <S>

Others have done so, and out of respect for both your work and Alex', may I please post that on my Facebook page and on our web site for AU?

That's fine with me! Do what you will with it.

#187 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:28 PM

Did you notice that Bryan uses one of your repaints as his desktop background... I am still sporting my CGB Beta Galaxy Hunchback as my desktop.

#188 Garth Erlam

• 2,756 posts
  • YouTube: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:33 PM

This thread is so full of win - it's not just Bryan, CoffiNail ;)

#189 Demi-Precentor Konev

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 386 posts
  • LocationDnepropetrovsk, Galedon Military District

Posted 30 November 2011 - 07:18 PM

Has anyone given this a try in GIMP?

#190 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 07:37 PM

I'm just gonna leave this here...

Posted Image
EDIT: See if you can find the easter eggs. Three of them.

I'm just gonna leave this here...

View Postlahyenne, on 30 November 2011 - 07:18 PM, said:

Has anyone given this a try in GIMP?

No, I have not ;)

Edited by Hayden, 30 November 2011 - 08:05 PM.

#191 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 08:26 PM

The hula girl on the forward-left console, the Piranha Games logo in the right-most monitor, and the outside scenes in the left and right displays and forward armor shields. Damn, but that's a pretty Dragon.

Edited by Kay Wolf, 30 November 2011 - 08:27 PM.

#192 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 08:48 PM

View PostKay Wolf, on 30 November 2011 - 08:26 PM, said:

The hula girl on the forward-left console, the Piranha Games logo in the right-most monitor, and the outside scenes in the left and right displays and forward armor shields. Damn, but that's a pretty Dragon.

Correct on the Hula girl and PG logo. The screens aren't, but good effort. It's actually pretty subtle. I put the start bar from WIN95 onto the center, lower console.

#193 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:08 PM

Okay, I finally saw it... can't really see the quick buttons across the bar, though, just the grey bar itself. Nicely done, anyway, hehe.

#194 revanus

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 11:55 PM

And here I thought one if the easter eggs would have been the Genyosha Jenner on the right viewscreen.

Any thoughts on if those two videopanels are meant to be the mech's rear view (90 degrees each), so as to create the famed 360 degree viewing perspective?

#195 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 12:44 AM

View Postrevanus, on 30 November 2011 - 11:55 PM, said:

And here I thought one if the easter eggs would have been the Genyosha Jenner on the right viewscreen.

Any thoughts on if those two videopanels are meant to be the mech's rear view (90 degrees each), so as to create the famed 360 degree viewing perspective?

Doubtful. In the original image they appeared to offer only a view of the sides of the 'mech (and this is how I tried to represent it). Furthermore, the player will be primarily viewing what's in the the Red Box, rather than the whole deal. But this is still concept work, and just for the hunchback, so we'll see what happens. Maybe we get the 360 stuff? This just doesn't seem to suggest it. Your thoughts?

#196 AdamBaines

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 05:12 AM

Great tutorial Hayden! It works for GIMP as well, as that is what I used.

Here is my first go at this so I did a simple one: Waco Rangers: Per CamoSpecs.com - The unit uses the traditional Ranger dun color scheme with rust-red accents.

Posted Image

#197 Dr Roshima

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 111 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 December 2011 - 07:36 AM

Hayden, i love your work. And i m asking for a request. ^_^

Would you like to paint me an Atlas with the logo and the colours of the =9th= Blood & Fire ?

http://clanapokalyp....-fire-t132.html

Here s a link to a forum where i ´ve posted the picture :huh:

http://www.9thbloodandfire.de/

And a link to the Unit if you ´re interested :D

greets

#198 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:57 AM

View Postrevanus, on 30 November 2011 - 11:55 PM, said:

No, the devs said in the recent Q&A that there will be no 360 view. It's simply not feasible at this point.

#199 AdamBaines

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:11 AM

View PostKay Wolf, on 01 December 2011 - 08:57 AM, said:

No, the devs said in the recent Q&A that there will be no 360 view. It's simply not feasible at this point.

Has there been a Q&A since the Q&A #1? There they responded to this question and they did not say it wont be there or it wont be feasible. They said they are not sure: Correct me if I'm wrong.......

Are we going to see new elements to the cockpit, such as the 360 degree squeezed into 180 degrees view bar mentioned so many times in the novels?
[color=#CCCCCC]

[DAVID] The most prominent new addition to the cockpit will be elements dedicated to managing your InfoTech. Some of these, like different vision modes, have been seen before in other ‘Mech games. Others, such as data and images from your UAVs and remote sensors will be brand new to MechWarrior® Online™.
[/color]
[color=#CCCCCC]

[MATT C] While we are very conscious of the games canon we are equally conscious of drawing from the canon the aspects that are fun when translated into a game. Say we were testing out having a 360 degree view and it made the game less fun during play testing I think it is safe to say we would cut it, at the current stage of development we are still trying out new ideas relating to the cockpit design so you never know what may end up in the game at launch.
One of the beautiful things with the F2P model that we’re growing to love as developers is that unlike a boxed product where our options to make changes based on consumer feedback are severely limited, with this model if the community demands a feature enough post launch then there is every possibility and intention that that can happen. As excited as we are to see the game upon launch we are just as excited to see what the game will look like a year from launch.
[/color]

#200 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:22 AM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 30 November 2011 - 01:33 PM, said:

This thread is so full of win - it's not just Bryan, CoffiNail ^_^

Well let us see more desktops! So far we have only seen Bryan, sure it was because all his clutter was tossed on to Paul's desk... but still. Everyone pile their stuff on Pauls desk, take photos and then take a photo of Paul's desk.

16 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 16 guests, 0 anonymous users