ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:50 PM

View PostIronhawk, on 18 February 2013 - 04:23 PM, said:

I have been tolerant about humor and some de-facing before, but when you put your own time to depict canon and custom art on FD's concept art and suddenly this:

Posted Image

Becomes this:

Posted Image

...And PGI posts the latter on its official Facebook account, something is fundamentally wrong. I have huge respect for PGI. This however tells me fan artists may not always deserve the same. PGI handpicked fan repaint pics would probably please fans more actually; this meme got so-so critique, including a few ones on the AC being on the wrong side which was not my mistake.

I know Hayden will tell me it's a misunderstanding.

but... those are 2 totally separate paint schemes...... in fact differing Models of the Atlas.

#3802 Ironhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,333 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:05 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 18 February 2013 - 06:50 PM, said:

but... those are 2 totally separate paint schemes...... in fact differing Models of the Atlas.

They are in fact the same, with 2 main changes in the de-facing: 1) skin of the original ported on the mod I did following the Atlas trailer, 2) some changes to the theme to make it Highlander. Look closely at the details and you'll see.

Thanks for cheering me up, guys!

Back to regular programming:

For you my friends, a 5th Sword of Light Jenner
Posted Image

#3803 Devil Fox

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationThe Fox Den

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:33 PM

View PostAllfex, on 18 February 2013 - 09:21 AM, said:

Hy everyone,

i have not done much of this "art" an maybe some are not so good but i have allways earnd very kind word's from you!

Today this should be the first step in giving something back to u.

Sadly, this is for Gimp user's only. Sorry.

I have done this .xcf (template) from scratch... i only take Ironhawks text from his pic's as a reference.

Have masked the lights, cockpit and so on the same way as the body. On this was you can recolor it yery fast without the body. Removed the camo/ decals also.

Atm i dont know where i should upload this .xcf but you can also send me a pm with your email and i will send it.

Hope with this i can make someone happy Posted Image

Again... thank you for anything!

Posted Image

Did that to the Jagermech myself the other night when I got bored... getting it primed for my next Productions skin. But it won't be done for awhile because I'm in the process of graphic and script writing for the Trebuchet video this coming patch. It's always good to learn the basics of how to work from scratch, helps alot in understanding.

#3804 Ironhawk

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,333 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:15 PM

Unpinned are we?... No matter. We will continue our work relentlessly until the dark powers of RL crawl back up on us.

12th Galedon Regulars Jenner
Posted Image

#3805 Nacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 661 posts
  • LocationMars

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:05 AM

View PostIronhawk, on 19 February 2013 - 06:15 PM, said:

Unpinned are we?... No matter. We will continue our work relentlessly until the dark powers of RL crawl back up on us.

Yeah I was wondering about that. Why unpin?

#3806 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:38 AM

View PostNacon, on 20 February 2013 - 06:05 AM, said:

I think they unpinned everything in the art thread.

ED: As an aside, Ironhawk, loving the DCMS skins you're cranking out. Also, I'm every bit as outraged about the meme-love as you are. BattleTech (not mere "stompy robots") is serious business.

Edited by Hayden, 20 February 2013 - 07:41 AM.

#3807 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:40 AM

View PostHayden, on 20 February 2013 - 07:38 AM, said:

Well, it's time to ask a mod to pin it again. :)

#3808 Allfex

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:41 AM

I'm not so good at repaint but still have done one for my "guild" from another game. Some play MWO too.

What do you think? What can i do better?

Posted Image

#3809 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:42 AM

View PostAdridos, on 20 February 2013 - 07:40 AM, said:

Well, it's time to ask a mod to pin it again. :)

We are the pin.

ED:

View PostAllfex, on 20 February 2013 - 07:41 AM, said:

I'm not so good at repaint but still have done one for my "guild" from another game. Some play MWO too.

What do you think? What can i do better?

I think it's pretty great, actually. The striping on the legs is very well done, the detail on the chains is good, the only thing that bothers me is the insignia, which is a little blurry and poorly angled (perspective seems off). The chain/stripe combo on the barrels is a little busy, too (I.E. you should go with one or the other). Otherwise, really sweet. Good job!

Edited by Hayden, 20 February 2013 - 07:45 AM.

#3810 Allfex

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:09 AM

View PostHayden, on 20 February 2013 - 07:42 AM, said:

We are the pin. ED: I think it's pretty great, actually. The striping on the legs is very well done, the detail on the chains is good, the only thing that bothers me is the insignia, which is a little blurry and poorly angled (perspective seems off). The chain/stripe combo on the barrels is a little busy, too (I.E. you should go with one or the other). Otherwise, really sweet. Good job!

Thank you for the tips and the kind words!

Yea, the insignia normaly has no green circle behind, its only the shield. I placed it so that it looks, with the chains from above, like a ring. Sadly forgott painting the deep effect :)

But with the other things you are right. Try to do it next time better and remember this thing you said!

#3811 RotS Targe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 319 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:36 PM

Spoiler

I always loved the schemes with a mix of camo/tiger stripes and full panels colored.
You can have camo, and still declare your allegiance, not one or the other.

#3812 Brian Banzai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 731 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationLebanon, TN

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:16 PM

View PostIronhawk, on 18 February 2013 - 04:23 PM, said:

I have been tolerant about humor and some de-facing before, but when you put your own time to depict canon and custom art on FD's concept art and suddenly this:

Posted Image

Becomes this:

Posted Image

...And PGI posts the latter on its official Facebook account, something is fundamentally wrong. I have huge respect for PGI. This however tells me fan artists may not always deserve the same. PGI handpicked fan repaint pics would probably please fans more actually; this meme got so-so critique, including a few ones on the AC being on the wrong side which was not my mistake.

I know Hayden will tell me it's a misunderstanding.

Yea I saw this and I was like HEY, thats MY 2nd Kearny Atlas I did based on the original art you posted there. I did mine as a slightly modified pic just to show off my personal camo scheme.
Posted Image

#3813 Allfex

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:09 AM

View PostNacon, on 20 February 2013 - 06:05 AM, said:

to quote Niko Snow

As to the unpinning of threads: We had a great deal of clutter with many stickies that had fallen out of relevance. Every once and a while I will be unpinning all user-generated threads to see which still demand public relevance and recognition, and which have nobly served their time on the top and have since atrophied.

#3814 Iacov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 668 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:44 AM

to do my part in proving this thread's relevance:
my first try in repainting:

Posted Image

it's nothing special...but i always prefered a green/brown color scheme
and especially i love those k2's machine guns
i wish there was a catapult variant like the one above (intended to be 2M,2E,2B)

Edited by Iacov, 21 February 2013 - 08:46 AM.

#3815 Ironhawk

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,333 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:56 AM

Pinning for DCMS once again.

Ryuken-yon:
Posted Image

#3816 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:32 AM

Amazing as always. Kinda whish it was the 20th mech being drawn on... :D

Just out of curiosity, have you every made any AH and Liao Jenner? The machine was surely a dream come true for at least one your mates considering how effective it is at eliminating Atlases and I don't remember any such repaint from you, even though you were the one who de-facto created the skin for the early version of Hunchabck.

Edited by Adridos, 23 February 2013 - 11:33 AM.

#3817 Ironhawk

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,333 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:32 PM

View PostAdridos, on 23 February 2013 - 11:32 AM, said:

Amazing as always. Kinda whish it was the 20th mech being drawn on... :D

Just out of curiosity, have you every made any AH and Liao Jenner? The machine was surely a dream come true for at least one your mates considering how effective it is at eliminating Atlases and I don't remember any such repaint from you, even though you were the one who de-facto created the skin for the early version of Hunchabck.

Can't agree more on 20th 'Mech!

Thanks Adridos. AH is my next Jenner actually. Wanted to finish a series of 5 DCMS first. Takes longer because it turned out I am so busy in RL.

Here's the last DCMS: 2nd An Ting! Note that I've re-used Hayden's beautiful insigna work for this one. :P
Posted Image

#3818 Ironhawk

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,333 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:30 PM

View PostHayden, on 20 February 2013 - 07:38 AM, said:

ED: As an aside, Ironhawk, loving the DCMS skins you're cranking out. Also, I'm every bit as outraged about the meme-love as you are. BattleTech (not mere "stompy robots") is serious business.

Thanks Hayden. With regards to BT, I am wondering how few people actually understand the nature of this informal fan quest you begun and that I am trying to pursue...

#3819 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:50 PM

View PostIronhawk, on 23 February 2013 - 04:30 PM, said:

Thanks Hayden. With regards to BT, I am wondering how few people actually understand the nature of this informal fan quest you begun and that I am trying to pursue...

If every person that ever happened on this page clicked on it once when new post was made (20x193 pages), you'd get around 110 people. Considering something like that is neigh impossible, I'd guess that we have at least 1000 guys. Most are just occupied by the game or turned off by the lack of new concept art.

#3820 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:02 PM

View PostIronhawk, on 23 February 2013 - 04:30 PM, said:

You mean that the bulk of the images that have been edited up were based on a huge constellation (figurative) of canonical paint schemes from a massive and well-documented universe?

Maybe. Maybe not. And I don't believe that such understanding is 100% essential to enjoy the images on their own. But, what I hope this project does encourage is an interest in the universe, the canon (read: history), and the incredibly rich background that MWO is set in. Yeah, there are big stompy robots: but the big stompy robots are a means to an end, and have (for me anyway) ceased to be an end in themselves: they're a part of something much bigger.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users