Repainted Concept Art

Art

7764 replies to this topic

#6921 Justin Kase

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationMerryland

Posted 20 March 2016 - 12:11 AM

My take on a Oberon Confederation Firestarter. I imitated some of the original art decals - well, at least I think it was the original MWO stuff, maybe it was somebody's cool creation and they forgot to credit themselves Posted Image Someone had made a cutout with a Jenner next to it that I used for the base template.

You most likely will notice that her right lower leg is a different color (originally clipped from Odann's repaint). I kind of saw that as a battlefield salvage replacement that the pilot felt it would be bad luck (or just wasn't wasting time) to paint over. Does that look ok? Or should I just leave it all one basic color palette?

Posted Image

I've been looking over this thread - but still have around 200 pages to wade through Posted Image Anyone have any tips (or know of a tutorial) on doing battle damage?

I saw one on swapping weapons that was pretty cool - and I'll likely try that out on the Kerensky Orion (to give him his proper Gauss in his Right Torso) - but nothing on battle damage.

Thanks - in advance!

Edited by Justin Kase, 20 March 2016 - 12:37 AM.

#6922 Sparks Murphey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 20 March 2016 - 03:06 AM

View PostJustin Kase, on 20 March 2016 - 12:11 AM, said:

My take on a Oberon Confederation Firestarter. I imitated some of the original art decals - well, at least I think it was the original MWO stuff, maybe it was somebody's cool creation and they forgot to credit themselves Posted Image Someone had made a cutout with a Jenner next to it that I used for the base template.

You most likely will notice that her right lower leg is a different color (originally clipped from Odann's repaint). I kind of saw that as a battlefield salvage replacement that the pilot felt it would be bad luck (or just wasn't wasting time) to paint over. Does that look ok? Or should I just leave it all one basic color palette?
Spoiler

I've been looking over this thread - but still have around 200 pages to wade through Posted Image Anyone have any tips (or know of a tutorial) on doing battle damage?

I saw one on swapping weapons that was pretty cool - and I'll likely try that out on the Kerensky Orion (to give him his proper Gauss in his Right Torso) - but nothing on battle damage.

Thanks - in advance!

Posted Image
Personally, I love the red a- uh, leg.

For battle damage, I can't give you a definitive guide, but you'd probably want to try googling some battle damaged metal pictures (like this or this) and then blending that damage onto the 'Mech in a similar way that you'd do with an image or some text.

#6923 Justin Kase

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationMerryland

Posted 20 March 2016 - 05:57 AM

Heh - glad that joke didn't go to waste, wasn't sure anyone would catch the inspiration ;)

#6924 Raubwurst

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,284 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 March 2016 - 06:34 AM

As someone never have done a repaint before I am quite happy about my little work in Gimp on the Archer.
Giving the Tempest it's right color scheme (red Torso and black legs + arms as all Kell Hound 'Mechs) and the Insignia of the 2nd Regiment on it's arm (as I am in the unit 22KH -> 2nd Regiment, 2nd Batallion of the Kell Hounds) :

Posted Image

Although I have to admit it wasn't the best of redesign as I let the red color identical and the black got somehow... too black? ^^

#6925 Justin Kase

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationMerryland

Posted 20 March 2016 - 09:46 AM

Been looking for this very repaint, and was about to attempt, so THANK YOU!!

I really like the look of it - especially the darkened blacks.

What did you use for the base template?

Question for the greater group - is there some special thing that y'all do when making the templates that makes the edges blend / soften more?

Edited by Justin Kase, 20 March 2016 - 09:59 AM.

#6926 Raubwurst

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,284 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 March 2016 - 10:27 AM

I used the one from the Hero Addon:
https://static.mwome...archer-hero.png

Posted Image

Edited by Raubwurst, 20 March 2016 - 10:28 AM.

#6927 Justin Kase

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationMerryland

Posted 20 March 2016 - 08:53 PM

Thanks for that Posted Image

Ok, attempt #3 - trying out a Corporate Security Force paint scheme. In this particular case, Coventry Metal Works. I kind of imagine these guys on patrol around the grounds - but also having little brand naming details (stuff that would get covered in the field).

For the CMW Security Defense Force logo, I used a logo from Flieger's thread at the BTech game forum, which he had made for pretty much the same idea.

I also tried shading the metal of the chest mounted MGs a little, so all the metal wasn't exactly the same.

Suggestions? Thanks!

Edit : The bellow uses Odann's wonderful P-Hawk template (sorry for not saying so initially)

Posted Image

Edited by Justin Kase, 22 March 2016 - 05:36 AM.

#6928 Justin Kase

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationMerryland

Posted 21 March 2016 - 12:56 PM

Just looked through 349 pages of this thread - and WOW....

Sadly, a number of the links don't work any longer, so who knows what I may have missed ;)

Couple of quick questions in the hopes that someone may have already done these (and are willing to share):

- Anyone ever do any Crab / King Crab repaints (aside from the green ones)?
- Pre-FedCom Lyran Wolfhound / T-Bolt?
- FWL Catapult?
- DC Banshee?

I know, odd questions :P The lack of Lyran Wolfhound puzzles me the most, as it seems a natural fit (after the Kell Hounds of course).

Thanks in advance!!

#6929 Justin Kase

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationMerryland

Posted 21 March 2016 - 04:42 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 28 October 2014 - 06:30 PM, said:

OK, for the record? White really is a pain to create and shadow and balance.

But the results on that red, white and blue Enforcer are amazing!!

#6930 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,200 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 21 March 2016 - 06:43 PM

View PostJustin Kase, on 21 March 2016 - 12:56 PM, said:

- Anyone ever do any Crab / King Crab repaints (aside from the green ones)?
- DC Banshee?

There are no King Crab (no concept art released, just the unfinished Alex Iglesias speedpaint) and Banshee (concept art released, but in not a good quality and extremely polluted with camo) repaints. :(

View PostJustin Kase, on 20 March 2016 - 08:53 PM, said:

Thanks for that Posted Image

Ok, attempt #3 - trying out a Corporate Security Force paint scheme. In this particular case, Coventry Metal Works. I kind of imagine these guys on patrol around the grounds - but also having little brand naming details (stuff that would get covered in the field).

For the CMW Security Defense Force logo, I used a logo from Flieger's thread at the BTech game forum, which he had made for pretty much the same idea.

I also tried shading the metal of the chest mounted MGs a little, so all the metal wasn't exactly the same.

Suggestions? Thanks!

I see you used my template (credits are welcome). Good repaint. I liked the decals.

#6931 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 06:49 PM

View PostJustin Kase, on 20 March 2016 - 08:53 PM, said:

Cool! I am glad that I am not the only one who loves corporate security forces. I think they are an underrated part of the BT lore.
I am also glad you liked the insignia. You know, I am a Defiance fan so obviously I put in a lot more effort into the insignia of the Defiance Self Protection Force, but somehow the Coventry security insignia worked out just so well.

Oh, and nice touch using the Defiance logo on the laser. It makes quite some sense. Posted Image

#6932 Sparks Murphey

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 21 March 2016 - 08:41 PM

Since you asked...

Posted Image

We'll open with a design that there's a good chance you've already got sitting in your hanger: that of the Lyran Guards. In particular, this is the "Saucy Sixth" Lyran Guards.
Posted Image

Next up, the 14th Donegal Guards.
Posted Image

Keeping with the theme of "guards", here's the 15th Arcturan Guards:
Posted Image

And proving that when you're in the militia, you get the surplus paint stock that no one else wants, the Alarion Province Militia.
Posted Image

#6933 Justin Kase

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationMerryland

Posted 22 March 2016 - 05:43 AM

View PostOdanan, on 21 March 2016 - 06:43 PM, said:

I see you used my template (credits are welcome). Good repaint. I liked the decals.

Apologies for not stating the initial PNG file was yours in my post - fixed that! I certainly appreciate all your (and others) efforts to make those wonderful files Posted Image

Also, thank you for the notes on the Crab!!

View PostFLG 01, on 21 March 2016 - 06:49 PM, said:

Oh, and nice touch using the Defiance logo on the laser. It makes quite some sense. Posted Image

Heh - I wasn't sure if anyone would notice it Posted Image Thank you again for making those great icons!

Once I get better at this, I will certainly be making ones for the other Corp Sec groups Posted Image

View PostSparks Murphey, on 21 March 2016 - 08:41 PM, said:

Since you asked...

and proving that when you're in the militia, you get the surplus paint stock that no one else wants, the Alarion Province Militia.

I wish I could give tips instead of just likes Posted Image These are fantastic! Glad you included the saucy 6th ;)

But yes, the colors on that last one feel better suited to an energy drink manufacturer - though it certainly would be distinctive on the battlefield Posted Image

Edited by Justin Kase, 22 March 2016 - 05:58 AM.

#6934 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,200 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 22 March 2016 - 06:34 AM

Justin you asked about the King Crab, so I will show you something.

This is an incomplete concept art that came with the email about the Loyalty King Crab (back in December 2014?). The image had several "confetti" in front of it and a missing feet. I managed to clean up a little and to remake the feet with a speed paint screenshot.
Posted Image
I wanted to do a template, but the amount of work necessary to clean it up would be huge.

I'm posting it here so either some crazy talented member can clan it up or we can convince PGI (or Alex Iglesias) to finally release the full, plain concept art.

And here is the obscure Banshee (3S) concept art:
Posted Image
(another pain to clean up)

#6935 Justin Kase

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationMerryland

Posted 22 March 2016 - 07:14 AM

Odann - thank you once again :) That would explain why I really didn't see much art for either of those mechs!

I imagine they will release the new concept art right after someone finishes the template ;)

#6936 CK16

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 22 March 2016 - 09:19 AM

Does anyone want to try their hand at the Mk.II in more clan colors?

Some ideas?
Spoiler

#6937 Justin Kase

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationMerryland

Posted 22 March 2016 - 10:14 AM

Lots of respect to everyone here - even with templates this isn't easy Posted Image

Tried my hand at making a ComStar Black Knight.

I used the incredible Odann BLACK Black Knight image - cut out all that gold trim, whitened the rest of the mech, then tossed in his metal and glass layers, added a Comstar stripe and logo (I have to find the name of the person who made it) and added a small Cameron Star.

Spoiler

Edited by Justin Kase, 22 March 2016 - 11:04 AM.

#6938 LastKhan

Defender of Star League

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,346 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationIn Dropship DogeCafe

Posted 22 March 2016 - 10:32 AM

View PostJustin Kase, on 22 March 2016 - 10:14 AM, said:

Lots of respect to everyone here - even with templates this isn't easy Posted Image

Tried my hand at making a ComStar Black Knight.

I used the incredible Odann BLACK Black Knight image - cut out all that gold trim, whitened the rest of the mech, then tossed in his metal and glass layers, added a Comstar stripe and logo (I have to find the name of the person who made it) and added a small Cameron Star.

Spoiler

Not bad but looks a bit bleached out. are you using multiply layer? if so try like a slightly darker white. (not grey you plebs)

#6939 Justin Kase

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationMerryland

Posted 22 March 2016 - 11:02 AM

Thank you. Using GIMP - so trying to figure how to do it without bleaching it out Posted Image

I updated the original - as I had forgotten to save the Gamma symbols...

Edited by Justin Kase, 22 March 2016 - 11:05 AM.

#6940 LastKhan

Defender of Star League

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,346 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationIn Dropship DogeCafe

Posted 22 March 2016 - 12:07 PM

Tried at a CGB version of it just cause i had some time to kill.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users