MWO vs Hawken

171 replies to this topic

Poll: MWO vs Hawken ++ (434 member(s) have cast votes)

Which game will reign supreme

1. Mech Warrior Online (279 votes [64.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 64.29%

2. Hawken (20 votes [4.61%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.61%

3. I'll Let you know when I play both Beta's (135 votes [31.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 31.11%

Will you even try Hawken ?

1. Yes I try out every FTP that looks good. (125 votes [28.80%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 28.80%

2. No .. MWO is the only Mech franchise for me (125 votes [28.80%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 28.80%

3. I'd play any Mech game atleast once. (184 votes [42.40%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.40%

The most important quality of a Mech game for me is

1. Customization of my mech * like ChromeHounds * (263 votes [29.42%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 29.42%

2. Realistic Simulation style Mech combat (356 votes [39.82%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 39.82%

3. A Faction based territory battle system .. * Like ChromeHounds * (186 votes [20.81%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.81%

4. Arcade style Frag and respawn game mode (23 votes [2.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.57%

5. Sci-Fi futuristic Mechs similar too Gundam Wing / Armoured Core series. (66 votes [7.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.38%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 BlackAbbot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationSecret UrbanMech Production Facility

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:30 PM

...In closed beta months out of even entering open beta let alone having an announced release date or being a MVP. lrn2beta.

#22 nksharp

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:44 PM

Hawken is also getting a movie based off of it so pretty interested in seeing that. If it has more customization and a bit faster pace I may end up just switching over to that whenever it goes live.

#23 Toothman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 557 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:47 PM

View PostAfoxi, on 02 August 2012 - 05:19 PM, said:

I like how you all say Hawken is a simple game when MWO is the one with Deathmatch/CaptureTheBase.

Don't pay attention well do you?

#24 MuffinTop

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,089 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationNext door to nobody.

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:39 PM

Hawken is to Dane Cook as MWO is to Denis Leary.

#25 Fresh Meat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 779 posts
  • LocationMannequin Republic

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:39 PM

In the arcade domain Hawken is better. MWO is either a really crappy arcade or crappy SIM, its dev team cant decide what to do so they do it all poorly... For an arcade experience play Hawken, for Sim play MWLL.

#26 Agent KI7KO

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 300 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:43 PM

View PostToothman, on 02 August 2012 - 05:47 PM, said:

Don't pay attention well do you?

I wasn't aware MWO was launching with a game mode where mechs on both sides race to secure fuel for their battlecruisers, launch it, and then fight over anti-air defences.

#27 Monsoon

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,631 posts
  • LocationToronto, On aka Kathil

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:54 PM

I see Hawkens or the recently Armored Core as occasional stomping grounds from when I need a rest from MWO. Anything over and over again can get monotonous, even the awesomeness that is Battletech/Mechwarrior.

View PostMuffinTop, on 02 August 2012 - 09:39 PM, said:

Hawken is to Dane Cook as MWO is to Denis Leary.

LoL

Edited by Monsoon, 02 August 2012 - 09:54 PM.

#28 Scytale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:54 PM

View PostStalgrim, on 02 August 2012 - 04:42 PM, said:

Hawken seems like it was designed for teenagers, it's a fast, fast shooty 'splosion game, MWO has decades of other games, books and tabletop to line up with. Comparing them is just pointless.

Hawken is the 'mech equivalent of C.O.D. MWO is a MW game, it wasn't designed to appeal to a bunch of kids who don't like taking strategy into consideration and just want to run at each other and fire their guns and hope they shoot the right part of the enemy. When things are moving that fast and in (from what I can see) confined war zones then all you get is a giant clusterf...udge of explosions and running behind cover. I'm not talking about the tribes style of speed here where everything is about predicting movements and knowing how fast to come off which cliff to get the best distance for a flag cap or which area to fire a fractal grenade at to choke off the enemies escape so you can lock them down in an area that you're better in.

I'm fairly sure asking this question in the MWO forums is going to get you a lot of biased asnwers my friend, asking it in the Hawken forums will get you an utterly different set of results but with less grammar and punctuation. All I'm saying is that when I watch Hawken...I see nothing to it, it's just a mess of explosions, speed, health bars and jumping with powerful weapons that can kill in seconds. That generally leaves little time for planning or tactics.

Just my thoughts on the matter, yours might be different.

Really? Honestly? It's nice to generalize that CoD players are uneducated, undisciplined, etc etc people, isn't it? It's also nice to say that Hawken is necessarily a CoD-type game? It's not even in closed beta yet. This is utterly ridiculous.

Oh, and a disclaimer - I don't play CoD nor do I plan to take a particularly high interest in Hawken. This sort of denigratory attitude just really grates on my nerves.

EDIT: How can you guys say Hawken is going to be an arcade experience with such certainty if all we've seen amounts to gameplay snippets and minor trailers?

Edited by Scytale, 02 August 2012 - 09:56 PM.

#29 Monsoon

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,631 posts
  • LocationToronto, On aka Kathil

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:57 PM

View PostAfoxi, on 02 August 2012 - 09:43 PM, said:

I wasn't aware MWO was launching with a game mode where mechs on both sides race to secure fuel for their battlecruisers, launch it, and then fight over anti-air defences.

Well, since most of the game hasn't been revealed yet, who really knows what mission options/objectives we'll be getting. Hawkens is even further away, so nothing but speculation as best there either.

#30 Agent KI7KO

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 300 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:40 PM

View PostMonsoon, on 02 August 2012 - 09:57 PM, said:

Well, since most of the game hasn't been revealed yet, who really knows what mission options/objectives we'll be getting. Hawkens is even further away, so nothing but speculation as best there either.

Siege mode, involving battlecruisers and anti-air emplacements are confirmed for Hawken.

#31 Noth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 4,762 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:43 PM

View PostScytale, on 02 August 2012 - 09:54 PM, said:

EDIT: How can you guys say Hawken is going to be an arcade experience with such certainty if all we've seen amounts to gameplay snippets and minor trailers?

You can tell by the speed. It quite literally looks like quake or unreal with a mech skin placed over it and limiting everyone to two weapons.

View PostAfoxi, on 02 August 2012 - 10:40 PM, said:

Siege mode, involving battlecruisers and anti-air emplacements are confirmed for Hawken.

Which in turn comes down to just basic capture and hold points. It's nothing new at all.

#32 Adrienne Vorton

• 3,535 posts
  • LocationBerlin/ Germany

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:44 PM

since the term "Mecha" doesn´t exist in my dictionary, and i can´t think of any "giant robot" series (well except for Transformers maybe as a kid... but who didn´t like TF when he was a kid) that i ever got into... MechWarrior IS the only Mech Franchise for me... so i don´t care much about any other mechgames like hawken or what ever...

only exception was frontmission 2, but only because i imagined how cool it would be in the BT Universe... was like drinking lemonade while thinking of a nice beer

#33 Scytale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:47 PM

View PostNoth, on 02 August 2012 - 10:41 PM, said:

You can tell by the speed. It quite literally looks like quake or unreal with a mech skin placed over it and limiting everyone to two weapons.

Speed is surely not the only indicator of whether a game falls into this glass? If we played a game of MWO where all players could only play light mechs, would that be an arcade game? As for weapons, we don't know the sort of customization allowed in the game, do we?
Also, to my understanding, games like quake and unreal implement systems where players suffer rather low "health". Do we know how mech integrity is implemented in Hawken?

#34 Noth

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 4,762 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:49 PM

View PostScytale, on 02 August 2012 - 10:47 PM, said:

Speed is surely not the only indicator of whether a game falls into this glass? If we played a game of MWO where all players could only play light mechs, would that be an arcade game? As for weapons, we don't know the sort of customization allowed in the game, do we?
Also, to my understanding, games like quake and unreal implement systems where players suffer rather low "health". Do we know how mech integrity is implemented in Hawken?

Probably pretty low. It is being designed as a fast paced shooter.

I'm not saying Hawken is or will be bad. I'm pointing out that the crowd it will gather will be different than MWO.

Edited by Noth, 02 August 2012 - 10:51 PM.

#35 Charles Martel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • LocationQuentin. Wish you were here Hanse?

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:51 PM

They're two very different games. If you liked Mechassault, I'd recommend Hawken. If you liked MW/MW2/MW3/MW4, I recommend MWO.

#36 Mr D One

• Star Colonel IV
  • Star Colonel IV
  • 1,266 posts
  • LocationMmmmmm yes

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:56 PM

View Postlight487, on 02 August 2012 - 03:58 PM, said:

Not sure why you continually reference "ChromeHounds".. just curious about that.. it's of no concern.

because after mechwarrior mercenaries came out, and with the mek tek patches it became more armored core then mechwarrior. Chromehounds, is (was) one of the premier online mech games. It filled the void until it went offline. Now I have that same excitement playing MWO again.

Who knows if Hawken proves to be great like MWO then we might even get a MWO X Hawken type thing happening.

#37 Stalgrim

• PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom.

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:58 PM

View PostScytale, on 02 August 2012 - 09:54 PM, said:

Really? Honestly? It's nice to generalize that CoD players are uneducated, undisciplined, etc etc people, isn't it? It's also nice to say that Hawken is necessarily a CoD-type game? It's not even in closed beta yet. This is utterly ridiculous.

Oh, and a disclaimer - I don't play CoD nor do I plan to take a particularly high interest in Hawken. This sort of denigratory attitude just really grates on my nerves.

Maybe you could make a case for COD 4 being a decent game but anything after that was just a cheap cash in on the younger demographics, I would know because unlike my friends who saw it coming after Modern Warfare and jumped ship I decided to stick with the series untill Mordern Warfare 3 which is possibly the worst multplayer game I've ever seen with a playerbase on Xbox/PC/PS3 of (purely my own experience) children. Why? Because that's who it's there to appeal to, they have the formula just right to hit all of the key areas that entertain the average players of those ages. I only stopped playing maybe 4 months ago? When I got 10th pretige lvl 1.

However, even AFTER saying that I have to ask:

"uneducated, undisciplined, etc etc people" NEVER said that, I said they prefered a jousting style of game play where tactics where minimalised which really IS the case. Go into any Gamestation/Gamestop/any other game retailer and have a look at their charts for XBOX/PS3 games and you'll see what kind of stuff they enjoy on average. Big explosions, fast gameplay and lots of guns with an average kill-time on most weapons ranging between 2 and 5 seconds.

Watch ANY of the Hawken gameplay, the kill times are low, explosions are everywhere, the game has very quick pacing and it feels like a fast shooter. You have a ton of shakey screen and a general atmosphere that is very similar to other twitch shooters and lots of blur, lots of flashes and loud noises.

When you add those gameplay snippets up you come to around 10-20 minutes total which is more than enough for most people to guess the general direction a game wants to go in. If you have ever played an arcade game then you can tell by the pacing and style of the game that it KNOWS who it's trying to attract.

Edited by Stalgrim, 02 August 2012 - 11:07 PM.

#38 deadeye mcduck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • LocationOutside the periphery

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:58 PM

Hawken will attract all the current "twitch gamers" that are here currently (you know the ones who like to run in, fire ALL weapons, precede to shut down and then get killed), thus leaving MWO for us true mech fans.

Edited by deadeye mcduck, 02 August 2012 - 10:59 PM.

#39 Charade

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:00 PM

Hawken has the benefit of them being able to create their own original IP while MWO is forced to pander to the TT crowd and find a way to make any new content fit into the canon.

If MWO fails, it'll be the table-top community and their obsession with "realism" and the demand that the game adheres to "spirit" of the table-top game that does it.

#40 Eternal Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:03 PM

Hawken looks nice enough - but yeah - not enough info, and haven't tried it - if/when i get to try it i'll give it a shot, but from trailers combat seems simplistic.

Edited by Eternal Hunter, 02 August 2012 - 11:05 PM.

13 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users