#1 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:19 AM

Have a question about the Clans? From Labour, through Merchant to the Warrior castes, Homeworlds or Operation Revival. Ask away and a good chance we can find a answer.

Edited by CoffiNail, 18 January 2012 - 10:20 AM.

#2 Jaroth Corbett

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts
  • LocationSmoke Jaguar OZ

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:08 AM

Should have called it Ask a Clansman ;)

May I assist, trothkin?

Edited by Jaroth Winson, 18 January 2012 - 11:08 AM.

#3 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:20 AM

Yeah open forum. Anyone who thinks they can answer may.

#4 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:25 AM

Here is a fun one:

Clanswomen are grown in such a way that in order to be physically capable of ovulation, they need to be administered a drug that, for a lack of a better term, "switches on" their reproductive system.

Given this: How do accidental freebirths form in the warrior caste? That is something that stumped me way back when I used to read the books.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 18 January 2012 - 11:25 AM.

#5 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:27 AM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 18 January 2012 - 11:25 AM, said:

Here is a fun one:
Clanswomen are grown in such a way that in order to be physically capable of ovulation, they need to be administered a drug that, for a lack of a better term, "switches on" their reproductive system.

Ehm...where do you get this information from?

#6 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:28 AM

Wish I could recall the exact book. If I recall correctly, it was one of the Falcon series of books, prior to them going completely over the top crusader.

#7 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:37 AM

Hmm, k. Can't remember reading anything about it, but I guess it would turn out as genetic malfunctioning. Something like a trueborn aerospace pilot that is born with a normal body.

#8 Stone Profit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:38 AM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 18 January 2012 - 11:25 AM, said:

Here is a fun one:

Given this: How do accidental freebirths form in the warrior caste? That is something that stumped me way back when I used to read the books.

I will avoid using contractions for the sake of any clansman reading this thread lol

I cannot confirm the veracity of the comment about a drug being required for conception, however the incident he is refering to is when Aiden Pryde and a sibmate of his who is in the scientist caste. This resulted in the birth of Diana Pryde, one of the highest ranking Freebirth Warriors in the Clans, and certainly the highest ranked Freebirth in Clan Jade Falcon

#9 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:51 AM

That would actually be the book he is referring to, yes. Peri, his sibkin was removed from training in the warrior caste by the falconers due to them recognizing she was more suited to the life of the scientist caste and instead of 'try' her to see if she could become a warrior they decided to relocate her instead of potently wasting her. After she became a member of the lower caste she had to take a drug that would have her have a 'normal' female cycle. Think of most Clan Women on a sort of birth control. They have no need for their warriors to have children and so they have it taken care of so there is little chance they waste training a warrior for her to become a mother and pursue that life.

*edit*

Also she is considered more of a bastardized Trueborn then a freebirth in a way. As her genes are pure being both Trues, but she was also conceived of naturally. This is also one of the reasons she was able to compete for a Bloodname in Jade Falcons.

Edited by CoffiNail, 18 January 2012 - 11:52 AM.

#10 Tyzh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 495 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:51 AM

I happened to be reading those books yesterday, and I can recall the mention of accidental births. It was part of Ter Roshak's journals, maybe? I took it to mean that the accidental births were between freeborn, lower-caste females and trueborn male warriors.

#11 Jack Gammel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationZiliang

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:39 PM

Ok, I have several questions that have always puzzled me. I know very little about the Clans (at least compared to many).

All Clan warriors are descended from a specific set of genetic lineages (Mechwarrior, Aerospace Pilot, Elemental). Warriors who are particularly skilled are allowed to contribute their own specific genetic material to their Clan's repository, but does this genetic material still carry their name? For example, if a trueborn named James Kerensky got his genetic material added to the Clan's repository, and that genetic material was used to create a new warrior, Sarah, would Sarah be aware that her "father" was a guy named James Kerensky? Basically, how aware are the Clan warriors of their lineages? In that same line of questioning: since all Clan warriors are descended from the original founding warriors, are Clan warriors aware of which person they are descended from? Has it been so long that most of those original bloodlines have blended together, making it a moot point? I seem to remember reading somewhere that Clan warriors are aware of their lineages, but I would like it if this was confirmed.

Furthermore, its been a couple hundred years since the Exodus and the founding of the Clans. It seems to me that if warriors are aware of their lineages it would hardly matter since the necessity of keeping enough genetic diversity in the bloodlines to avoid serious mutation would insure that any warrior could claim several original founders as an ancestor. How do they get around this?

Finally, if warriors are aware of their lineages, how does this figure into Bloodname Trials? Are Bloodnames which are actually part of a particular warrior's lineage more desirable?

Sorry for all the questions. Thank you for your time.

Edited by Jack Gammel, 18 January 2012 - 12:41 PM.

#12 Tyzh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 495 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:04 PM

Yes, clan warriors are familiar with there genefather/genemother. And by familiar I mean they know their names and actions as well as anything else recorded in their Codex. There is not any kind of parenting. Basically, clan warriors are as familiar with their lineage as they want to be and usually that is pretty familiar. Being derived from a prestigious lineage can be a point of pride.

They trace names matrilineally so they only really have one option for a bloodname.

#13 Jack Gammel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationZiliang

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:36 PM

View PostTyzh, on 18 January 2012 - 01:04 PM, said:

Yes, clan warriors are familiar with there genefather/genemother. And by familiar I mean they know their names and actions as well as anything else recorded in their Codex. There is not any kind of parenting. Basically, clan warriors are as familiar with their lineage as they want to be and usually that is pretty familiar. Being derived from a prestigious lineage can be a point of pride.

They trace names matrilineally so they only really have one option for a bloodname.

That's kind of what I thought, but then I wasn't sure, since it seemed odd to me that a Clan warrior would care about their parentage (outside the fact that they are trueborn). It just seemed kind of...unclanlike?

A point of clarification: can a Clan warrior only apply to fight a Bloodname Trial for the name they carry from their genetic mother?

Thanks for answering my questions.

Edited by Jack Gammel, 18 January 2012 - 02:38 PM.

#14 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:55 PM

View PostJack Gammel, on 18 January 2012 - 02:36 PM, said:

A point of clarification: can a Clan warrior only apply to fight a Bloodname Trial for the name they carry from their genetic mother?

If I remember right thats the case when a warrior comes from two different lineages through gene mixing.

#15 Jaroth Corbett

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:11 PM

View PostTyzh, on 18 January 2012 - 01:04 PM, said:

True to an extent but one or two clans allow for both the paternal & maternal lineages to be contested.

View PostJack Gammel, on 18 January 2012 - 12:39 PM, said:

Finally, if warriors are aware of their lineages, how does this figure into Bloodname Trials? Are Bloodnames which are actually part of a particular warrior's lineage more desirable?

Sorry for all the questions. Thank you for your time.

Yes they are. Let us take a classic example in history. Before the Great Gash on Twycross, Star Colonel Adler Malthus was an exemplary warrior. Afterwards was a whole different story:

The battle's aftermath devastated Clan Jade Falcon even further. When one Bloodright of a given Bloodname is disgraced, other Bloodrights of the same Bloodname usually suffer no repurcussions. In this case, however, the shame of the defeat on Twycross affected the entire Malthus Bloodname. The lost honor did not significantly affect the codexes of the other Bloodnamed warriors, but rivals of the Malthus Bloodname created such a severe political backlash in the Clan council that Khan Timur Malthus was forced to resign. The same political maneuvering sent most of the Malthus Bloodnamed warriors back to Clan space with strict orders to avoid causing any further disgrace to their Clan.

Jade Falcon Sourcebook (Pages 28&29)

It was so bad that when the Trial of Bloodright was held to fill a slot for a Malthus Bloodname, nobody wanted it & it eventually got passed on to an Elemental.

That was the bad side, now to the good. Some lineages are so prestigious that people pass on the opportunity of a certain Bloodname because of its line for a more favorable one.

"And more will die for the honor." Ulric's face hardened. "Each of the twenty-five Bloodnames for each House has its own pedigree. A particular name is known for the deeds of those who have worn it before. It is not unlike 'Mechs being handed down from father to son within the Successor States."

The ilKhan leaned forward. "Take, for example, the Kerensky name I am honored to wear. Bloodnames have existed among the Clans for just under 300 years, yet only twelve individuals have ever worn this name."

Phelan half-shut his eyes as he mentally did some quick math. "That means each of them averaged twenty-five years with that name, and Cyrilla said you have had it for the last fifteen years."

Ulric nodded. "And you know that Natasha won her Bloodname at age twenty-two—the youngest person ever to win a Bloodname. I won mine at the age of thirty. You see the significance, quiaff?"

"Aff. Within the Clans a warrior is considered old by the age at which you won your Bloodname. Even if I assume you were late in winning your Bloodname and that the others who had this one managed to win it at twenty-five years, the average puts them over fifty years, which is remarkable."

The ilKhan nodded. "In truth—and I mention this not as a boast—I could have participated in Bloodname contests when I was younger, but I declined until this specific name became available. I wanted it because of those who had worn it and the deeds they had performed."

"I don't understand. You turned down the honor of the Bloodname just to wait for a particular one?"

"Of course." Ulric chuckled mildly. "Why would I want a Bloodname that dozens of Warriors had worn? Yes, it is still a Bloodname, but its pedigree is less than desirable."

The younger MechWarrior nodded. "If the best Warriors hold themselves back for the better names, less fit Warriors will battle for the poorer ones. They perpetuate the cycle." He smiled slowly. "I can also see a case where someone with a poor Bloodname might attempt risky things to bring prestige to his Bloodname, but thereby put himself at risk."

Blood of Kerensky Trilogy - Book 3 - Lost Destiny - Pg.59

Edited by Jaroth Winson, 18 January 2012 - 03:42 PM.

#16 Nerts

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:26 PM

What the hell happened your formatting there?

Oh, it's fixed now, never mind.

Edited by Nerts, 18 January 2012 - 03:26 PM.

#17 Jaroth Corbett

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:41 PM

I have no idea. I had to cut everything out then repaste.

#18 Tyzh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 495 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:47 PM

Quick! Someone ask another question so I can read more Jaroth's answers! ;) Actually, I have one. If Ulric passed on other Bloodnames to get Kerensky, does that mean Wolf is one of the clans that allows paternal lineages to be contested?

#19 Jaroth Corbett

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 04:00 PM

Neg. They follow matrineal lines so Ulric's genemother would have had the Kerensky Bloodname.

#20 Jack Gammel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationZiliang

Posted 18 January 2012 - 05:11 PM

View PostJaroth Winson, on 18 January 2012 - 04:00 PM, said:

Neg. They follow matrineal lines so Ulric's genemother would have had the Kerensky Bloodname.

Then did he actually pass on the opportunity to fight for other Bloodnames? I'm confused. It was mentioned before in this thread that a Clan warrior only has one choice for a Bloodname if they have to trace their lineage from the mother's side. Maybe that individual was mistaken?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users