#21 Deathz Jester

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,107 posts
  • LocationOH, USA

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:32 PM

View PostRowen Windsong, on 06 August 2012 - 11:55 PM, said:

Also can't wait for the MadCat to return and for a Ymir, crossing fingers on the Ymir though lol.

The Ymir from "mechassault" is non-cannon so I'd say I'm %99.99 sure it wont show up. The actual Ymir that was discontinued in like 2648 doesn't show up again until 3075, its also not a clan mech, its from The Lyran Commonwealth

It doesn't have the "lava cannon" or any other arcade crap from mechassault.

#22 Prophet OFC

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 30 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:43 PM

Any love for the IS designation?

The first Timberwolf encounter baffled IS radar and it couldn't decide wether the pilot was trying to target a Marauder (MAD abreviation) or a Catapult (the CAT)...Thus the IS designation of MADCAT was born.

#23 Deathz Jester

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,107 posts
  • LocationOH, USA

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:48 PM

View PostProphet OFC, on 07 August 2012 - 03:43 PM, said:

Any love for the IS designation?

The first Timberwolf encounter baffled IS radar and it couldn't decide wether the pilot was trying to target a Marauder (MAD abreviation) or a Catapult (the CAT)...Thus the IS designation of MADCAT was born.

That's pretty much what I said in the post, it resembled a cross-over of the Marauder and Cat....and if anyone read before that they'd know clicking on Mad Cat in yellow will bring up the description of the mech in Sarna where it specifically says the targetting confusion incident.

-edit- but I did edit it to include the line.

-edit2- lol it says Facebook is viewing this thread right now.

Edited by Iron Harlequin, 07 August 2012 - 03:57 PM.

#24 Grumm Esverian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 210 posts
  • LocationElizabethtown, kentucky

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:06 PM

View PostBluten, on 07 August 2012 - 04:31 AM, said:

Lol I didn't know Lego did MechWarrior. That is awesome and wish I could put it on my desk. I'd go with a towering Atlas though.

Edit: http://brickmechs.co...1/08/atlas-mw4/
^ This. Right here. I want one of these.

I think they put out a couple of...no, that was K'nex or somesuch. Did run into a guy at a con who ran a TT Battletech game with 12" lego-mechs (played on the floor of a conference room, about a dozen of us). As they took damage we were encouraged to pull pieces off of themand leave them strewn around the play area.

Unfortunately, my old-school Marauder took a shot to the cockpit three rounds in from a gauss rifle...

#25 Roflberry Pwncakes

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 40 posts
  • LocationNorthwest U.S.

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:21 PM

Why oh why do you gotta bring the Clans into this? Speaking purely about the history of the tabletop game, the edition released approx.1988 (it's impossible to find any reference to the book I'm referring to in the Sarna wiki, so I'm estimating it came out in '88 based on my memory of when I bought it) was a poorly conceived idea from FASA to rekindle player interest in Battletech, and thereby 1) sell more rulebooks/sourcebooks/technical readouts, 2) sell more tabletop lead. It's a strategy that works remarkably well for Games Workshop, but when GW releases a new edition or new army codices it doesn't unbalance the game into sheer unplayability. Anyone who played tabletop Inner Sphere vs. Clan after the so-called 'Clan invasion' can relate to what I'm saying about the magnitude of the imbalance... ton for ton, Clan Mechs were able to field lighter weapons with higher damage outputs, and since the game didn't have a system for assigning point values to weapon systems, i.e. Clan PPC = 20 pts; IS PPC = 15 pts. It considered tonnage to be an adequate system, but as I already mentioned, Clantech puts out more damage for less tonnage, so a quick and simple tabletop assault game of a 400 ton lance vs. a 400 ton star would almost always result in a Clan win, unless of course the Clan player had remarkably horrid dice rolls, or the Inner Sphere player was very gifted at tabletop tactics AND had phenomenally epic dice rolls (12 HEADSHOT! 12 HEADSHOT! :)).

Besides, I think it's great that all of the so-called 'unseen' InnerSphere chassis designs (from the Harmony Gold wars) are no longer 'unseen'. It makes me happy to see Jenners and Jaggermechs and Warhammers (and on and on) all rendered up. Lokis (Locus? Lok-eye?) while looking sweet in their own right, are a poor substitute for a Warhammer. Cmon guys, hold off on the 'Clan invasion' and render up some Locusts, Marauders, Hatchetmen, Phoenix-Hawks, Battlemasters... you know, chassis we haven't seen in 25 years (ahem, or since the last time we watched the Macross saga) before you churn out the Mad Cats and Vultures and Ryokens.

#26 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:39 PM

View PostLokust Davion, on 06 August 2012 - 07:22 PM, said:

oh yes.... timber wolf.. the most iconic battlemech. it always reminds me of the time when i first saw them on the mechwarrior 2 intro video back in 1995/96.

I beg to differ. It is the most Iconic BattleMech... After the Marauder. The Marauder is the grand daddy Bad to the bone ride. Followed by the Battlemaster then the Timber Wolf. The Shadow Hawk might be in that mix too. You cannot call the Timber Wolf the most Iconic because it got that title by default.

That was a classic game I loved it well. But the Clanner using contractions killed the intro video for me.

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 07 August 2012 - 05:41 PM.

#27 Anyone00

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 329 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:18 PM

I fully expect to see Clan grade weapons and equipment to start to filtering into the game about a year from now (with a very hefty C-Bill cost) and limited numbers of Clan mechs released for real money; justified by mercenary salvage and having dealings with the few shady members of... [checks sarna.net]... Clan Diamond Shark.

View PostRoflberry Pwncakes, on 07 August 2012 - 05:21 PM, said:

...25 years (ahem, or since the last time we watched the Macross saga)...

Well last time I watched the Macross saga was 2007 with Macross Frontier (haven't seen the Macross Frontier movies yet): makes me wonder if someone could get Studio Nue's permission to use the more recent designs as a big middle finger to Harmony Gold.

Edited by Anyone00, 07 August 2012 - 07:23 PM.

#28 AzN HuMpa

Rookie

• 7 posts
  • LocationWoodbridge, VA USA

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:02 PM

View Postrooster, on 07 August 2012 - 04:44 AM, said:

the clans are alien replicators who assimilated the star leagues DNA and used their alien technology to improve their weapons for the upcoming invasion of the inner sphere to harvest the rest of the human race.

duh

This is common knowledge to all lovers of mech warrior quiaff?

#29 daFunkyUnit

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationOuterspace

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:39 PM

Screw the Timberwolf/Mad Cat.

I'll take a Summoner/Thor anyday! B)

#30 MagicPiXie

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 25 posts
  • LocationCockpit of my beloved Timberwolf.

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:05 AM

The days where A summoner/Thor, and Timerbolf were the ****, Will always be remembered by us Veterans. The days when the colors, where static, and there were almost no decals..Will be the day that we all still have a copy of MS-Dos around just to play the originals.

Edited by MagicPiXie, 08 August 2012 - 08:08 AM.

#31 Derek Icelord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 542 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:08 AM

Nice post, with some good info.

Unfortunately the type of person who doesn't bother to read any of the official information or the pinned threads that say "START HERE" probably won't bother reading this, either.

#32 Dragonlord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:13 AM

People here keep saying the thread should be stickied, so why dont you do something about it?
Report the thread and ask for a sticky is the way to go, I'm sure the moderators will be willing to sticky this one if they get enough requests for it.

Its a great post and deserves a sticky so everyone can see the info about it.

#33 Black Storm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 107 posts
  • LocationThe battlefield, lining up for an Alpha Strike

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:53 AM

Very good and informative post. I gave you a like and am now reporting it to ask for a sticky.

#34 Deathz Jester

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,107 posts
  • LocationOH, USA

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:57 AM

View PostDragonlord, on 08 August 2012 - 08:13 AM, said:

People here keep saying the thread should be stickied, so why dont you do something about it?
Report the thread and ask for a sticky is the way to go, I'm sure the moderators will be willing to sticky this one if they get enough requests for it.

Its a great post and deserves a sticky so everyone can see the info about it.

+9000

#35 Deathz Jester

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,107 posts
  • LocationOH, USA

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:35 PM

bump for sticky

#36 TOOON

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrench
  • The Wrench
  • 150 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:40 PM

AWESOME POST !!!!!!!

#37 xX_Nero_Xx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 649 posts
  • LocationDallas,Texas

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:04 PM

actually i think the most iconic mech is the WARHAMMER.
madcat/timberwof is iconic to clans as the atlas is to the IS but when most ppl think of mechwarrior its the warhammer most ppl think of tbh.now i would love to see the battlemaster hauptman rifleman so on for the IS.
the clans did have alot of things going for them but numbers the IS had more mechs to throw at them.
the us Sherman tank tatic lol vs the tiger .

#38 Malavos

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 53 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:14 PM

View Postfccolhitman, on 08 August 2012 - 04:04 PM, said:

actually i think the most iconic mech is the WARHAMMER.
madcat/timberwof is iconic to clans as the atlas is to the IS but when most ppl think of mechwarrior its the warhammer most ppl think of tbh.now i would love to see the battlemaster hauptman rifleman so on for the IS.
the clans did have alot of things going for them but numbers the IS had more mechs to throw at them.
the us Sherman tank tatic lol vs the tiger .

I love the warhammer. Really, love.
There's no other mech for me.

#39 ZippySpeedMonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 356 posts
  • LocationSomewhere on Dropship Earth

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:30 PM

Hopefully they don't come for a very long time......

The moment they are released this game will turn into nothing but an omni/clan mech sausagefest.....

Just look at the number of Atlases you see already on both sides in the current games...

#40 Indy GosHawk

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 30 posts
  • LocationHuntingdon, Cambs UK

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:43 PM

View PostRoflberry Pwncakes, on 07 August 2012 - 05:21 PM, said:

Why oh why do you gotta bring the Clans into this? Speaking purely about the history of the tabletop game, the edition released approx.1988 (it's impossible to find any reference to the book I'm referring to in the Sarna wiki, so I'm estimating it came out in '88 based on my memory of when I bought it) was a poorly conceived idea from FASA to rekindle player interest in Battletech, and thereby 1) sell more rulebooks/sourcebooks/technical readouts, 2) sell more tabletop lead. It's a strategy that works remarkably well for Games Workshop, but when GW releases a new edition or new army codices it doesn't unbalance the game into sheer unplayability.

You, Wazzock, are talking nonsense here.
GW SUCK at codices for nearly all their games, yes it takes them a decade to re-release ur fav armies 'dex, and when they do u giggle like a schoolgirl at the cheese filled OP'd ness of ur new army, completely wiping the floor with all the others, until that is, they release another 'dex for ur mates army, then u wail like a n00b being pwned etc etc.

* rant ends *

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users