43 replies to this topic

#1 Listless Nomad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:11 AM

Hi everyone - I know the clans are a long way away, but I had an idea for a possible method for allowing players to join the clans in an interesting and "semi realistic way". PS - mods if this should be in the clan section I'm sorry.

My proposal is that when the clans arrive - make them nigh on unstoppable - but initially AI controlled. As a member of the inner sphere - when you ride out to meet the clans, the vast majority of us will be slaughtered wholesale. When that happens - give the pilots the option to "become a bondsman". This gives players who want to join the clans a way to do so within the framework of the universe, but also allows people who want to remain in the IS a choice. They can simply "escape capture".

Pilots who become bondsmen are now a part of the clan but have to work on becoming warriors - the more fighting they do - the closer they become to warrior status - the clan version of loyalty points. I know this proposal has some holes in it - but I think as a group we can refine it. At least this way everyone just doesn't jump ship when the clans arrive and end up fighting a ghost town where no one wants to be IS.

Any thoughts?

#2 Vulpesveritas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts
  • LocationWinsconsin, USA

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:17 AM

+1 so long as I can eventually get an uller.

#3 Nerts

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:19 AM

As a bondsman I'd imagine you'd be fighting in the worst equipment the clan can get you with no pay, salvage or access to trade until you prove you'll fight by zellbrigen.

#4 Listless Nomad

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:24 AM

View PostNerts, on 19 January 2012 - 10:19 AM, said:

As a bondsman I'd imagine you'd be fighting in the worst equipment the clan can get you with no pay, salvage or access to trade until you prove you'll fight by zellbrigen.

Hence the loyalty points type deal - you'd have to modify it a little I think - but it provides a feasible way to explain working your way up through the clan structure.

#5 Demi-Precentor Konev

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 386 posts
  • LocationDnepropetrovsk, Galedon Military District

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:34 AM

They're not that far away. Periphery contact starts in August of this year (3049).

#6 Listless Nomad

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:38 AM

View Postlahyenne, on 19 January 2012 - 10:34 AM, said:

They're not that far away. Periphery contact starts in August of this year (3049).

Wow that's a lot closer than I thought! I got my dates wrong and assumed they attacked in 3050 - so we had over a year. It'll be interesting to see how long we have to get a feel for the game before the clans show up and a lot of things go down hill.

#7 Nik Van Rhijn

• 2,905 posts
  • LocationLost

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:45 AM

Trial of possession is the only way for a true vat Clan warior to be allowes a mech isn't it? Make their numbers limited so we have to bury them with numbers (and hopefdully combined arms).

#8 Listless Nomad

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:57 AM

View PostNik Van Rhijn, on 19 January 2012 - 10:45 AM, said:

Trial of possession is the only way for a true vat Clan warior to be allowes a mech isn't it? Make their numbers limited so we have to bury them with numbers (and hopefdully combined arms).

That is what makes this issue of the clans so tricky. At the onset of their invasion, there is literally no reason to remain an IS pilot if it is free to join the clans - they are superior in every way imaginable. If the devs do allow us to play as the clans - they are going to have to implement some sort of rationing feature - or perhaps a rotation - otherwise the game will devolve into clans battling one another - and the IS portion of the game will die. Maybe they make it so that you have to achieve the highest loyalty points level in the IS before the clans think you are worthy to be a bondsman? I know that bondsman were the lowest of the low - and some either noncanon tweaks or brand new character creation would have to occur - it's the only analogue I can think of that would make sense. Perhaps you can trade your pilot for a clanner in a sibko - but if you choose to go back you have to start over.

Alternatively - if we go with my original proposal - make pilots complete challenges before they are accepted as a warrior.
Bear with me here.

Say you are a Kurita pilot - and the clan invasion happens and you and your jenner are demolished. At the end of the battle you choose the bondsman rather than the escape option. After that - you must complete three trials - maybe say 1vs1 match of clan light mechs. Then 1vs 3 light mechs - then 1vs3 medium mechs etc. (something like that). Once you complete those - you are considered a warrior and no longer a bondsman and can begin earning loyalty points with the clans. The old free MMO FPS America's Army made you complete 3 specialized training missions before you could play special forces maps in the game. If you couldn't beat them - you just couldn't play. This could possibly limit the number of people flowing into the clans - and also make it a little more realistic as the only human players playing as the clans would be really good mechwarriors. Thoughts?

#9 KJ Crow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 177 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:01 AM

I think the introduction of the clans should be thought about now, regardless of the time ahead for the same reason stated in the OP.... the number of people jumping ship to the clans could ruin the game (especially as if everyone jumps to clan, who are they going to attack??)

Although I like the 'Bondsman' idea, I think that there should be a compulsory 'serving time' in IS.... and then when you reach a certain LP level in IS then you can create a Clan Character which you have to build from scratch in regard to skills and equipment stashes

(Saying this I would also suggest that they lock all Clan Names and affiliations now and just put up a post asking who will jump ship as soon as Clans arrive)

#10 Listless Nomad

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:05 AM

View PostKJ Crow, on 19 January 2012 - 11:01 AM, said:

I think the introduction of the clans should be thought about now, regardless of the time ahead for the same reason stated in the OP.... the number of people jumping ship to the clans could ruin the game (especially as if everyone jumps to clan, who are they going to attack??)

Although I like the 'Bondsman' idea, I think that there should be a compulsory 'serving time' in IS.... and then when you reach a certain LP level in IS then you can create a Clan Character which you have to build from scratch in regard to skills and equipment stashes

(Saying this I would also suggest that they lock all Clan Names and affiliations now and just put up a post asking who will jump ship as soon as Clans arrive)

Not a bad idea KJ Crow. Why not combine the two ideas. Once you reach a certain level of LP - go fight the clans. If the only way to join them is to lose to them - at least you'll always have someone fighting them. Also, why not give a gigantic boost to XP for bringing down a clan mech - and a large boost to XP for damaging them- but little to no XP for just being there. That way - people who haven't reached the mandatory LP level will be wanting to fight the clans to reach that level - and it should help mitigate the amounts of people dropping into clan matches just to die.

#11 Nik Van Rhijn

• 2,905 posts
  • LocationLost

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:19 AM

There have been a number of posts on this subject fro just after the boards opened. Approximately 60% of the people were Clanners. This number will be diluted by those totally new to BTU. They have just over a year I think before the Clans arrive in the IS. This will have given them time to have the game up and running, hopefully very successfully. The only way it can work is to limit numbers, probably to no more than 20-30% of the player base. I honestly think that any who are truly interested in the Clans - rather than just wanting easy kills with shiny toys, would agree to a trial of possession. To even take part you would have to proven to be a good pilot in the IS. I hope that they have already got the basics of what they want to do sorted. If not then they will find that the Clans win by default. People don't mind fighting against odds if they have a chance. If 80% of the players go Clan then the remainder will probably quit or join them.

#12 Morashtak

• Mercenary
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:22 AM

View PostListless Nomad, on 19 January 2012 - 11:05 AM, said:

...so, why not give a gigantic boost to XP for bringing down a clan mech - and a large boost to XP for damaging them-

Would get the clan's attention if one was able to do this consistantly.

A.I. controlled - would be thinking we'll be on the sidelines for the initial contact and first few weeks/months after. This would allow the devs to give them a toehold as well as judge the reactions, loyalty to one's house/MercCorp, etc.

As said, we all start jumping to the clan side and only new players will be left in the IS. Tukkayid would then take place much, much earlier then canon.

#13 KJ Crow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 177 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:32 AM

Gate the Clan Games with an LP level minimum, players then have to achieve a minimum level of XP in the match before they are given the option to apply for then Entry Trials. If they take the option to apply then they lose half of their current loyalty points regardless of the trials outcome. They then complete the trials. If they are successful, they lose all Loyalty Points, Mechs, Equipment and C-Bills and start a new life in the Clan that defeated them to start with. If they are unsuccessful, then they have to re-earn the LP levels to pass the Gate.

As for IS access to Clan tech.... make it available through salvage only. If your Clan Mech is captured as salvage, you have to salvage another one.

#14 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:41 AM

I think people do not give PGI enough credit. Do you think this is probably not a hot topic in 'The Tank' Too bad we cannot hear their thoughts on it yet haha.

#15 Listless Nomad

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:15 PM

View PostNik Van Rhijn, on 19 January 2012 - 11:19 AM, said:

They have just over a year I think before the Clans arrive in the IS. This will have given them time to have the game up and running, hopefully very successfully.

According to canon - periphery encounters with the clans (Phelan Kell's contact and capture by Clan Wolf in "Lethal Heritage") occured on August 13th 3049. Since the date in the universe is January 19th 3049 - we've got less than eight months before the clans come rampaging through the IS. I have no doubt that this is a hot topic of debate amongst the devs. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't propose things or suggest them (thats why this was in the suggestion section originally mods). The community can have good ideas too.

View PostKJ Crow, on 19 January 2012 - 11:32 AM, said:

Gate the Clan Games with an LP level minimum, players then have to achieve a minimum level of XP in the match before they are given the option to apply for then Entry Trials. If they take the option to apply then they lose half of their current loyalty points regardless of the trials outcome. They then complete the trials. If they are successful, they lose all Loyalty Points, Mechs, Equipment and C-Bills and start a new life in the Clan that defeated them to start with. If they are unsuccessful, then they have to re-earn the LP levels to pass the Gate.

This works with what I was saying and adds a nice fallback feature should they fail. Nice addition.

Edited by Listless Nomad, 19 January 2012 - 12:18 PM.

#16 KingCobra

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:27 PM

I will be honest up front i will be Kahn of my own unit or Sakahn with my cousin Ghostrider of a CGB unit when he comes back online for MW:0 at first we might roleplay a bit as a renagade Clan Merc unit bent on the destruction of all the corrupt house's of the InnerSphere.Which should be fun until the Clans are put into MW:0 :D B) ;) ;) .

P.S Please feel free to join me and many fine pilots for practice on http://www.gameranger.com/.

#17 Nerts

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:23 PM

If we can join the clans I hope Sea Fox/Diamond Shark is included, they're a powerful faction but get overlooked a lot.

#18 Listless Nomad

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:36 PM

View PostNerts, on 19 January 2012 - 01:23 PM, said:

If we can join the clans I hope Sea Fox/Diamond Shark is included, they're a powerful faction but get overlooked a lot.

It will be quite interesting to see how they handle the clans when they arrive. I suspect that when it starts out there will be just the original invading 6 and depending on how that goes they might make a DLC or an expansion that includes the clan homeworlds for some good old fashion clan infighting!

#19 Nerts

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:52 PM

View PostListless Nomad, on 19 January 2012 - 01:36 PM, said:

It will be quite interesting to see how they handle the clans when they arrive. I suspect that when it starts out there will be just the original invading 6 and depending on how that goes they might make a DLC or an expansion that includes the clan homeworlds for some good old fashion clan infighting!

Diamond Shark are more tolerant of freeborn, pretty democratic and loose with zellbrigen, they'd make sense as a playable clan.

#20 KJ Crow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 177 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:55 PM

Hopefully they will keep it to canon... which means that 3049 is only the periphery enagements and only Clan Wolf, Ghost Bear and Smoke Jaguar will be available until next March, when the Jade Falcon arrive. It also means that this year we only have to defend 13 Systems until they start stomping all over us!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users