Your history as a Mechwarrior player.

129 replies to this topic

#81 GreenBMS

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 07:15 AM

So stoked for this game.

I didnt pick up Mechwarrior 1, but I did get Battletech on Sega Genesis.
MW2 and MW2 Mercs were amazing online, some of my fondest gaming memories to date.

Picked up the online service Kahn from Stargatenetworks back in the day and played nonstop, joined up the Clan Jade Falcons on Kahn.. so much fun! Hoping to get back into the sim feel of things with this..

#82 RedBeaveR

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Canada

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:18 AM

MechWarrior 2, 3, 4 and all its x-pacs.

im pretty sure i played MP in 3, and definitely in 4. i cant remember anything online with 2.

was part of a huge clan in 4 and was ripping *** with my Titan or MadCat MK2.

Pilot name: Pecelayam.

man i remember playing MP with dial-up.... i can't say i experience any huge lag either...

#83 Concords

Rookie

• The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 01:17 PM

Played MW:3050. Was blown away as a little nothing kid. Fast forward, MW:2 comes with my parent's new PC. Skip MW:3. MW:4... All my childhood memories.

#84 Dakkonn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 120 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 27 January 2012 - 03:08 PM

My MW career started as a Merc on Outreach in my commando after my CO died. I trained under old "Dead-Eye". I battled the Dread Legion on Gravenhague. I lost friends when the clans invaded like everyone else but I held the line at Luthien when other ran or died.

And I wanted to go on and RP out my Career as a MW for each game but unfortunately time is not on my side and I need to get over to a magic tournament that I am late for now :)

I started with MW2:Mercs then went back and played MW2. Played MW3,MW4,MW4:Merc,MechAssault1+2. Never go into the online much other than trying with MW2:Mercs (only a few games) and MW4 for about a month nothing serious just casual game and never got into an online community.

Also played the Card Game and the WizKids Minis. Both of which I never got to play as much as I would have liked due to no one else played them locally.

#85 CPTAmerica

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationTEXAS

Posted 27 January 2012 - 03:29 PM

Let's see. Back in 1990, I started playing a Computer Game called "Battletech: Crescent Hawks' Revenge". That got me interested in the BT universe because I was a huge fan of Robotech (Macross) growing up and, I saw the same 'mechs. I later found a Technical Readout: 3050, Battletech Starter Box, CityTech Box, and Battletech Compendium in a book store later that year.

1990-1993 I played the computer games "Battledroids", "Crescent Hawks' Inception", and "Crescent Hawks' Revenge" as I didn't have anyone to play the TT version with me.

1993 While sitting in my World History class at a new school designing mechs with my Compendium, a class mate looked over and recognized what I was doing. He invited me over to play my first TT game and proceded to kick the head off of my Masakari with his Behemoth. :( He later introduced me to his friends who also played and, I was off and running.

I am our groups campaign designer now and have probably 90% of all available sourcebooks either on hardcopy or in PDF. I have also read every novel published on hardcopy so far and am only missing 8 from my collection. Needless to say, I am a HUGE BTech geek. :)

#86 purple75

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 05:46 PM

got introduced to the table top game in 2003 and absolutely love it... i think we played every weekend for 3 years and now play when and where we can... also played a couple of the games...

#87 Kraktzor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationEdmonton

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:07 PM

I personally have never played any Mechwarrior/Battletech game multiplayer. I have been a huge fan of TT since I discovered it in my wee youth back in the early 90's. I have played MW2, MW2: Mercs, and MechCommander. ;)

Edited by Kraktzor, 22 February 2012 - 06:15 PM.

#88 Randal Waide

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 217 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:58 PM

View PostErich Rainmaker Manstein, on 20 January 2012 - 01:40 PM, said:

Heh . . . I'm real old school.

Started playing Battletech when it was just a board game in the 1980's. Ran demonstration games at GENCON for FASA back when BT was still under its wing.

I won my first game, a FASA sponsored game at a convention where I was selling artwork. No one much had heard of it and they needed players. The grand prize was an Assault Mech lance including a Catapault, Marauder, Warhammer and a Battlemaster and the original boxed game. It wasn't long I have my friends hooked and we graduated from the hex maps to miniature rules.
I have played most of the e-games.
I'm really looking forward to strapping in and shooting something again. As will my friends who have scattered all over the country. This will give us a chance to rebuild the unit.
Blackhearts!

#89 SI The Joker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 728 posts
  • LocationBehind you!

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:26 PM

The very first one I guess you could say would be Battlezone, which goes way back... talking wire frame there. Technically not Battletech, but still "Mecha"... and an awesome game.

Truth be told I'm not sure how I feel about this game, but I do have hope.

My first online experiences were with Kali and MW2 bouncing from MS DOS windows to my little windows 95 box. I owned/ran a planetary conquest gaming league, which in its hay-day was the largest (depends on who you ask) planetary conquest gaming league in the world. Prior to running the league, I was a member in the Cranston's Snords Irregulars. I still have the website code that I put out on Geocities!

I fondly recall the days of running around in my 35 ton Jenner IIc with a cockpit headshot window the size of a school bus... putting the hurt down on mediums and heavies because my engine was so fast (and our 56k connections so slow), they could never find my "lag spot" to hit me.

You can find my name in the Mech Commander manual... I beta tested the game. Worked at the downtown Chicago FASA Interactive studio for that.

These days I follow the Mek Tek guys and their site.. but strictly as a reader. I don't play any BT/Mechwarrior games right now... it's been years since I've been impressed enough with one to play it for more than the time it takes to beat the single player game mode.

At any rate, great thread, OP. I signed up specifically to respond to it.

Hopefully this game does some justice to the series, and to Battletech as a whole.

Edited by SI The Joker, 22 February 2012 - 08:39 PM.

#90 El Loco

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 395 posts
  • LocationNew Haven, CT

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:25 AM

Actually, my first game featuring something like 'Mechs was Earthsiege 2 (the machines are called Hercs there). After that my parents pointed out a BT novel while we were on summer vacation. It was Binding Force by Loren Coleman... and Ioved it! From there it was less than half a year until I had MW2: Mercs... and got every MW title ever since. I never played MW on the internet, though, mainly because we didn't have internet for quite a while. My brother and I started playing the table top in '99 or so and played for a couple of years. Most of my fights were via a German BT community using their forum... the BT scene in Eastern Germany is quite small. I stopped playing the TT when I entered college... lack of time and nobody to play against (except for my brother to whom I lost regularly).

#91 PhoenixFire55

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:26 PM

Hi everyone!

Just heard about MWO... one happy bunny.
Started with MW4 Vengeance in 2001, then MW4 Mercs. Couldn't buy previous games of the series in Russia. Got fast internet in 2008, so layed my hands on MW2 and MW3. Love MechCommander 2.

High expectations about MWO!

#92 18Rabbit

Rookie

• 8 posts
  • LocationMuskogee, OK

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:02 PM

I'm old.

I started with the first boxed set for Battletech when it came out (they were playing/demoing it at Nancon in Houston that I went to when I was a whippersnapper and I got a chance to join in).

After that I played a lot. Bought the miniatures, blueprint posters, had stickers and swag. When the MW RPG came out, we played that too and I ran several campaigns as GM.

When the PC games started coming out, I bought and played them all.

I played EGA Battletech on GEnie (waves to TBC folks out there).

I've played pretty much all of the old school versions that came out and a few Java versions that people put together on their own.

I kind of stopped playing the MW multiplayer because I kind of sucked at it.

I hope that there are RPG elements of MWO and that it doesn't shake out as just a fancy match making service. The tactical elements to the galaxy at war interest me as much or maybe more than the individual mech combat.

#93 Maurice

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationEasthampton Ma.

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:43 PM

played Battletech The table top game in 90s mw in 20-04 never know about the on line games til now

#94 Scoobysnax

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:37 AM

AOL and Gamestorm MPBT and some mechwarrior...

Scoobysnax <DRAAGUN>

#95 Xenois Shalashaska

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 343 posts
  • LocationWestern Australia

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:45 AM

My verry first experience was when i played as a mechwarrior virgin & i was relinquished of my mechwarrior virginity condition by playing Mechwarrior 2 on Playstation. Then i basicly stumbled on Mechwarrior 4 mercenaries later on in life & then Mechcommander 1 & 2. Now at the age of 24 im living my past experience on Mechwarrior living legends & i feel like a mechwarrior virgin again. Ahh the good old days.

#96 nukedog

• PipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 43 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:23 PM

Played everything in the MW2 and Netmech line, MW3 and it's online, Got to play Virtual World Battletech a couple of times, MW4 and it's online, Mechcomander 1&2 and it's multi, and Battletech 3025 till they canned it. I've got the board game and mini's but never found anyone nearby that wants to play. I've tried to get the Mektek Mercinaries online to run, but never get into a game. I've gone by several nicknames in cluding "dogsowar". You can look forward to beating me soundly online, I love this stuff, but I stink!

#97 Alfred VonGunn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts
  • LocationPhoenix,AZ

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:38 PM

I've been playing Mechwarrior or Battletech since 1984. The Minis-game, Then Crecent Hawks on the C128. Then all versions of the Microsoft Mechwarrior games.

Was a Member of Clan Nova Cat and a Merc COmpany (all the same people on different leagues)during from 98-2002 in MW3 and MW4

#98 LordDeathStrike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationBanished from nearly every world of the Inner Sphere on suspicions of being an assassin.

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:47 PM

i dominated mech 3 online play back in its msn lobby days.

my dial up was stable enough that i mastered target leading for lag shots

my laptops video card had a glitch in it so i could see a black box where your cockpit was, makeing zoom in headshots doable

and i had a force feedback cable drive stick setup with a trackball i could use left handed, so i could twist and then snap look and fine aim my reticle 360 degrees even direct behind my direction of movement, i had no blind spots thanks to arm move aiming in that game, so in my mad D i could tag you with either arms ppc like that and achieve lock on for my 4 streak 6 launchers, you were lunch meat unless you were in a scat and very very good with jj to flight evade the streaks, even then the ppcs got ya!

#99 I Kill Pigeons

• PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:24 PM

Tabletop: When I was 12ish, my friend's older brother would always get together with his buddies, lock themselves up in a room & play "some board game". I finally convinced them to let me play & they introduced me to Battletech. Loved it ever since. Still enjoy the tabletop game more than any other BT variation.

MW2: Singleplayer only.

MW2 Mercs: Played on "Kali" quite a bit. Loads of fun.

MW3: Didn't MP for long because of outdated netcode...I know, MW2 had lag shooting too but, it was also far older.

MW4/MW4Mercs: Singleplayer only, save a few friends-only LAN games here & there.

Mechcommander games: Little MP; mainly just singleplayer. Prefer simulation style 'Mech games.

MPBT Solaris: AOL for a while, then via proxy through some British ISP that allowed unlimited game access if you paid for their service (didn't have to use it -_- ) after AOL when pay-to-play, then Gamestorm came to save us all.

MPBT 3025: till EA pulled the plug. :D

MW:LL has been played off & on as well.

Played MW1 years after it came out (early 2000's), mainly to play what I wanted to & couldn't (didn't have a computer that'd run it) when it was new, many years earlier, so I suppose that doesn't really count :)

RIP to both MPBT games. Good times were had over many years. Hopeful that MWO can bring back that kind of community.

#100 Rastan

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:45 PM

Played
MW2 Mercs
MW3, use to play this one online <- favorite
MW4, just single campain.

Have'nt played any of then in about 8 years.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users