SSW Help

16 replies to this topic

#1 Fyrwulf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 262 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:57 PM

I've been kicking around in my mind an alternate universe where Clan Wolverine (in some form) survives intact until the start of the Jihad timeline. So, I downloaded SSW and started tinkering with a totem omni. Problem is, the chassis options for Omnis don't ever seem to pop up. What do I have to do to create an omnimech in this program?

#2 Slade Deleportas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:08 PM

Ok, in your Basic Setup tab, right underneath Tonnage, Mech Type, then Motive Type, you will see the Omnimech check box.

First you need to make your Base Config (the mech with IS, Engine, Armor Type, and fixed heatsinks speed and any fixed weapons. Lock the Chassis (far right side of SSW. Now you cna add Variants etc. Hope this helps.

Oh, and BTW Wolveine did survive and where behind the Jihad somewhat. Read the Blake Documents. :)

#3 Fyrwulf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 262 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:56 PM

I don't acknowledge the Jihad. It is my greatest hope the entire era is retconned in MWO.

EDIT: In my TL, the Wolverines pull some political judo that results in them Absorbing Widowmaker. Katherine is paralyzed in an accident that Victor witnesses, which results in Victor growing up to be even more of a Glorious ******* than his father. There's still a Clan Invasion, but it's quite a bit different from the OTL one. There's another marriage alliance, this time between Victor and Omi, that ends up touching off a different version of the FedCom civil war, although Duke Sandoval is curbstomped after a year long string of successes. And towards the end of what I have bouncing around in my head the Warden Clans (of which Wolverine is one) end up pulling a mass exodus from the Cluster and merge with the Sphere/Periphery powers.

Edited by Fyrwulf, 20 January 2012 - 08:49 PM.

#4 lavishinferno

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:06 PM

whats ssw?

#5 Slade Deleportas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:47 PM

Solaris Skunk Works. It's a mech creator for the tabletop game. Fully up to date with all the Total Warfare stuff. An excellent program created by some very serious fans. :)

#6 Fyrwulf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 262 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:53 PM

Okay, SSW isn't allowing me to place any LRMs in the left or right torsos. Is there any particular reason for this?

EDIT: By which I mean, if I try to load the mech I get an error message about the LRMs being co-located with unmovable objects.

Edited by Fyrwulf, 20 January 2012 - 08:58 PM.

#7 SMDMadCow

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 20 January 2012 - 11:12 PM

If you're using Artemis IV with them and you don't have enough crit space for the launcher + artemis then it yells at you.

#8 Fyrwulf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 262 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 06:49 AM

I'm using Artemis V, actually. It's only showing two crits for that system.

#9 Mutgrimm

• PipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:07 PM

I have a problem with ssw:

I can not load any premade mech from the master file

the ssw-files are not shown when I try to select a mech

i have win 7

#10 Sparks Murphey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:49 AM

View PostMutgrimm, on 30 August 2012 - 10:07 PM, said:

I have a problem with ssw:

I can not load any premade mech from the master file

the ssw-files are not shown when I try to select a mech

i have win 7

Have you been using the Load or the Open option? Load brings up a standard Explorer window in which you can navigate to a file and open it directly. Open loads a database of all the BattleMechs in specified directory (and it's recursive children) and allows you to filter and sort them based on quite a few different options, but this is blank until you tell it where to look. The button on the toolbar is for Open, but the File menu offers both options.

To set up the Open database, click Open, then click the "Change Directory" button (the second one from the left, it looks like a pair of yellow folders). Then, find the base folder you've got all your .ssw files in (probably called "Master Record Sheets", but your mileage may vary) and select Choose Folder. Wait as SSW thinks about this for a bit, then voila! it should be done.

#11 Mutgrimm

• PipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 54 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:43 AM

Thank you very much, but no, that is not it. :D

then click the "Change Directory" button

I did that.
SSW cant find any data in the "Master Record Sheets" or any of the included folders like "RS 3039u"

When I try it with "load mech", I can see the data, but recieve "unknown protocol: c" when loading a selected mech data.

I have the same problem with new mechs made and saved by myself.

I have the new java (7) installed, is that perhaps the problem?

Edited by Mutgrimm, 31 August 2012 - 06:58 AM.

#12 Sparks Murphey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:19 PM

Curious, I've got nothing, I'm afraid.

It sounds like it could be a syntax error caused by Java 7. You could try rolling back to a version of Java 6 and seeing if that helps. Otherwise, I'd say you've got a genuine bug and you'd be best off reporting it to the SSW dev community.

#13 Mutgrimm

• PipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 54 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:20 AM

Yesterday I was able to test it. With an older java, there is no problem. So it is java 7. I hope they will fix it, because I do not want to change back to an older version. There are security warnings about such older version. Has anyone else problems with ssw and java 7?

#14 Vanguard319

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:28 PM

I'm having problems as well, I installed the latest version of java, but every time try to load the SSW.jar file, I get a little graphic and the message SSW is loading, but it never loads. Am I doing something wrong?

#15 SethAbercromby

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:03 PM

This is very intriguing. I use it with Win8 and the most recent Java version and it works fine. I might not have the most current version of SSW though, if it has been updated in the past few months. If that's the case, try an older version of SSW, the current build might still be unstable.

Edited by SethAbercromby, 10 April 2014 - 11:03 PM.

#16 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:11 PM

The latest version is a little buggy...try a stable version like 4.0

you don't have 3145 tech but that shouldn't be a problem - right?

View PostFyrwulf, on 20 January 2012 - 04:57 PM, said:

I've been kicking around in my mind an alternate universe where Clan Wolverine (in some form) survives intact until the start of the Jihad timeline. So, I downloaded SSW and started tinkering with a totem omni. Problem is, the chassis options for Omnis don't ever seem to pop up. What do I have to do to create an omnimech in this program?

Clan Wolverine? the 331st Royal? The Minesota Tribe
Spoiler

#17 Vanguard319

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:38 PM

Thx, I figured out what I was doing wrong. and I've even got a mech to share:

Recluse RCL-1X

Era [Rule level]: Clan invasion/Jihad [Experimental]
Prod year: 3080
Tech base: IS Quad
Cost: 6,627,000 C-bills
BV: 732

Tonnage: 20 tons
Top Speed: 151kph (9 walking, 14 running)
Engine: 180 XL w Compact Gyro
Chassis: Composite
Armor: Light Ferro-Fibrous
Heat Sinks: 10 double

Armament:
4 ER small lasers in quadmech turret
TAG
Angel ECM
Void Signature System

Design Quirks:
Prototype
Modular Weapons
Stable

Pretty much a testbed for a fast, stealthy scout. Granted, it'll die if hit by a clan spec ER PPC, (due to the prototype quirk and the composite structure) but it should be pretty hard to hit, considering the void system can run continuously. I have a few ideas on how to improve it.

Edited by Vanguard319, 11 April 2014 - 06:47 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users