#101 The Helepolis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 243 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:12 PM

View PostSelbstmord, on 08 August 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

A bum could of wrote that wiki page up.

Alright, I read up wiki though a link would of been nice.

So a persistant world, PW: In this case, I would say that my mechs are going to be the PW. I buy a mech, I customize said mech, I play games, I exit the game. Come back on next day, and my mech is still there, as it was. THAT is our persistant world.
I mean if you want to apply a term that was brought up from MMORPGs, that is how I would use it.

There you go sir, a nice interpretation, our Mech's stats do not get reset after the end of a match, but I think they may add a repair system So there's your little piece of persistence.

Edit:But yes, Wikipedia isn't the greatest of resources, but you can usually deduct the meaning of a "persistent world" by the words itself.

Edited by IronWolf Vascus, 08 August 2012 - 08:15 PM.

#102 Scytale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:12 PM

View PostSelbstmord, on 08 August 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

A bum could of wrote that wiki page up.

Alright, I read up wiki though a link would of been nice.

So a persistant world, PW: In this case, I would say that my mechs are going to be the PW. I buy a mech, I customize said mech, I play games, I exit the game. Come back on next day, and my mech is still there, as it was. THAT is our persistant world.
I mean if you want to apply a term that was brought up from MMORPGs, that is how I would use it.

Next time I will supply a link.
I know very well a bum could have written a wiki article, but I'd still trust wikipedia's statements over a member of a gaming forum unless I had clear reason to suppose otherwise.

Persistence could be applied to our mechs and avatars, for sure =) for the record, in the context that is being applied in the article I believe it refers rather to a virtual world, which MWO will eventually have anyway, so the point is moot.

Edited by Scytale, 08 August 2012 - 08:13 PM.

#103 The Helepolis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 243 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:17 PM

View PostScytale, on 08 August 2012 - 08:12 PM, said:

Next time I will supply a link.
I know very well a bum could have written a wiki article, but I'd still trust wikipedia's statements over a member of a gaming forum unless I had clear reason to suppose otherwise.

Persistence could be applied to our mechs and avatars, for sure =) for the record, in the context that is being applied in the article I believe it refers rather to a virtual world, which MWO will eventually have anyway, so the point is moot.

As said, persistence is anything that stays the same or makes a change that isn't reset to a base value. Getting our mech back after a match and getting money and xp is progression and should stay persistent throughout. Hence why this game could be compared to WoT.

Edit: Food for thought, I'd assume this is what they had planned in the beginning, eventually gaining better equipment the more successful you are.

Edited by IronWolf Vascus, 08 August 2012 - 08:17 PM.

#104 Knight2pwn

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan, Canada

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:17 PM

Its not an MMO. Its an MWO. You forgot to turn the second 'M' upside down.

#105 Scorpioneldar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 119 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:18 PM

hell they have yet to implement many of the maps still according to the interviews and q and a they have a urban map yet to release and have hinted at others
the only weather we have is the blizzard in the ice world but they said they will have rain thunderstorms clear sky(also technicaly present) fog and more weather effects
not to mention that they have yet to implement night battles which they said they will have to
right now i think they are testing combat, movement, weapons, damage and other aspects of the fighting itself
and not even all the combat factors (like weather and time of battle) are implemented
not to mention they said they would have multiple battle types and only one exists so far
so as you can see this is not the finnished product hell this is not even the draft before the final one that you turn in
this is the rough testing CLOSED BETA PHASE

View PostKnight2pwn, on 08 August 2012 - 08:17 PM, said:

LOL love this

#106 The Helepolis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 243 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:18 PM

View PostKnight2pwn, on 08 August 2012 - 08:17 PM, said:

Posted Image

#107 The Helepolis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 243 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:20 PM

View PostScorpioneldar, on 08 August 2012 - 08:18 PM, said:

hell they have yet to implement many of the maps still according to the interviews and q and a they have a urban map yet to release and have hinted at others
the only weather we have is the blizzard in the ice world but they said they will have rain thunderstorms clear sky(also technicaly present) fog and more weather effects
not to mention that they have yet to implement night battles which they said they will have to
right now i think they are testing combat, movement, weapons, damage and other aspects of the fighting itself
and not even all the combat factors (like weather and time of battle) are implemented
not to mention they said they would have multiple battle types and only one exists so far
so as you can see this is not the finnished product hell this is not even the draft before the final one that you turn in
this is the rough testing CLOSED BETA PHASE

LOL love this

Dat Signature bro Posted Image

Edited by IronWolf Vascus, 08 August 2012 - 08:23 PM.

#108 Scorpioneldar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 119 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:23 PM

which i would kill to be in ...
well maybe
:P

#109 The Helepolis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 243 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:25 PM

Shh, we shalt not speak information of the beta, I do not exist, I am a servant of their cause, I know nothing. Oh great one, do not smite upon thee.

Edit: One does not simply say beta and live.....crap

Edited by IronWolf Vascus, 08 August 2012 - 08:27 PM.

#110 Aym

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,041 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:31 PM

View PostMcGamer, on 08 August 2012 - 02:41 PM, said:

I am a big Mechwarrior fan, but I fail to see how this game classifies as an mmo? First off, there looks to be nothing persistent about the gameworld and there are no pilot avatars either. The list goes on from there, but unfortunately this game is looking to be a glorified deathmatch with lobby.

This is not a troll post, it is an honest question from a long-time fan of the original video-games, PnP games and novels.

MMO does NOT EQUAL RPG!!!!
Hell most "mmorpg's" are heavy on the MMO and completely lacking in the RPG.

#111 Blizz003

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 71 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:34 PM

OP is right I think. Nothing massively about it. Shogun 2 has a similar (ish) meta game (though mwo sounds potentially way more awesome) anyway my point was that even though technically theres thousands of people playing the metagame the actual gameplay is not "massively" anything (except perhaps massively fun?)
If its less than two dozen people in a room, its not massive.

#112 The Helepolis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 243 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:36 PM

View PostBlizz003, on 08 August 2012 - 08:34 PM, said:

OP is right I think. Nothing massively about it. Shogun 2 has a similar (ish) meta game (though mwo sounds potentially way more awesome) anyway my point was that even though technically theres thousands of people playing the metagame the actual gameplay is not "massively" anything (except perhaps massively fun?)
If its less than two dozen people in a room, its not massive.

Well the game is going to have a multiplayer campaign system supposedly, this is really just the testing grounds.

#113 Blizz003

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 71 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

If it was an RPG I could be a jumpship pilot. Sigh.

#114 The Helepolis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 243 posts

View PostAym, on 08 August 2012 - 08:31 PM, said:

MMO does NOT EQUAL RPG!!!!
Hell most "mmorpg's" are heavy on the MMO and completely lacking in the RPG.

The entire thread above you has clarified this constantly. Caps lock off please :P

Edited by IronWolf Vascus, 08 August 2012 - 08:37 PM.

#115 Scytale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:37 PM

View PostBlizz003, on 08 August 2012 - 08:36 PM, said:

If it was an RPG I could be a jumpship pilot. Sigh.

We can dream...

#116 The Helepolis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 243 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:39 PM

Well the game's developers have talked about customizing the interior of your mech. (Fuzzy dice etc) I see no reason that they'll eventually add Pilot customization as well, give it time, this is beta. :P

#117 Quietly Crazy

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 17 posts
  • LocationThe Periphery

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:47 PM

Time to beat a dead horse!

To be blunt, from what I've read on all the prior pages, all that is being argued is semantics.

Yes, we get it. To you, this game may not qualify as "massive". However, it may to someone else. Heck, to some people, Halo's multiplayer may be an example of a MMOG. Is this my opinion? No. But stop throwing a hissy fit over what is fundamentally an issue of someone else's opinion.

Look, to make it simple, call it what you want. A sim. A MOG. A MMO. A MMOFPS (from what I've seen, it's all in cockpit views, which imply first person). Hell, call it a bunny rabbit if that makes you happy. But trying to say that someone else is wrong doesn't make much sense. And all you really gain is the potential to be called "correct" on the internet. So...is it really worth it? Because at the end of the day, I'd rather crew with someone who at least tries to get along with people, rather than another ITG who needs to be the only one correct on any given issue.

Just my 2 stones. You may proceed with your arguments.

#118 The Helepolis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 243 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:49 PM

View PostQuietly Crazy, on 08 August 2012 - 08:47 PM, said:

Time to beat a dead horse!

To be blunt, from what I've read on all the prior pages, all that is being argued is semantics.

Yes, we get it. To you, this game may not qualify as "massive". However, it may to someone else. Heck, to some people, Halo's multiplayer may be an example of a MMOG. Is this my opinion? No. But stop throwing a hissy fit over what is fundamentally an issue of someone else's opinion.

Look, to make it simple, call it what you want. A sim. A MOG. A MMO. A MMOFPS (from what I've seen, it's all in cockpit views, which imply first person). Hell, call it a bunny rabbit if that makes you happy. But trying to say that someone else is wrong doesn't make much sense. And all you really gain is the potential to be called "correct" on the internet. So...is it really worth it? Because at the end of the day, I'd rather crew with someone who at least tries to get along with people, rather than another ITG who needs to be the only one correct on any given issue.

Just my 2 stones. You may proceed with your arguments.

I think your concept of a hissy fit may have been smeared in your exhaustion of reading that much. I don't think anyone here is raging sir.

Edit: Good job on reading that much though!

Edited by IronWolf Vascus, 08 August 2012 - 08:49 PM.

#119 TB Azrael

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:50 PM

View PostMcGamer, on 08 August 2012 - 02:46 PM, said:

A MOG is what you are referring to. 23 other players is anything but "Massively" A persistent gameworld is also part of what makes an mmo.

no a presistent game world is part of what makes an mmorpg. This is technically 'massive' because at one time there could be several thousand people connected - though I do agree I've always thought match games stretched the definition a lot. And as stated once the universe part gets up and running it will be more of a persistent world.

#120 Fooooo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,458 posts
  • LocationSydney, Aus.

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:54 PM

WoW has arena combat much like MwO does. (Arena system, battlegrounds)

The only difference is that you can interact with people outside of the arena's and bg's.

Is that what makes an MMO to some people ? That you can walk around and see other players walking around ?

Thats what is called a persistant world that you can walk around in.

MWO has a persistant world that you cannot walk around in.

Not much difference between the two really. (besides the actual game mechanics and RPG elements of WoW etc)

Edited by Fooooo, 08 August 2012 - 08:55 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users