How is this an MMO?

132 replies to this topic

#81 StickEGreen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • LocationCentral Ohio

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:33 PM

When have the developers ever described this game as a MMO? I don't see it anywhere on the webpage.

#82 Scytale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:43 PM

View PostDemona, on 08 August 2012 - 06:30 PM, said:

An MMO is any online game that has no single-player functionality. It does not imply MMORPG in any way, shape or form.

By that definition, Tribes 2 and Tribes Ascend are both MMOs, which doesn't gel with me, or I'm sure, with many other people who know the Tribes series. EDIT: Also Counterstrike and TF2 - those are surely not MMOs.

Edited by Scytale, 08 August 2012 - 06:45 PM.

#83 Monolith

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 134 posts
  • LocationWest Tennessee, USA

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:45 PM

View PostToothman, on 08 August 2012 - 05:45 PM, said:

Which would wipe out amost all MMORPGs today. The majority of which have their "content" instanced with the non instanced part being mostly a glorified chat room. Guess there are no MMOs

Having also preordered GW2 and played in the beta weekends, they seem to have largely solved this excepting the capitols, which are supposed to be nigh impenetrable.

#84 The Helepolis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 243 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:50 PM

View PostScytale, on 08 August 2012 - 05:55 PM, said:

I'm not so sure that MOBA games could be considered MMOs - they're not played on huge servers, for example, and also - stats are tracked for other MP games like Tribes, CoD etc too. It's important not to confuse "MMO" with "Online" - one is only a subset of the other.

They're considering they use the exact same set up as a game like WoT, LoL has two servers, EU and US, but the sheer amount of people playing on one is ridiculous. You can just look at Xfire to get an idea. As said, MMO is just massively multiplayer online, if you ask me, 11million+ active players, with over 30 million accounts. Yeah, sounds massive to me.

View PostScytale, on 08 August 2012 - 06:43 PM, said:

By that definition, Tribes 2 and Tribes Ascend are both MMOs, which doesn't gel with me, or I'm sure, with many other people who know the Tribes series. EDIT: Also Counterstrike and TF2 - those are surely not MMOs.

Yes they're not MMOs cause they use individual dedicated servers, TF2 has no "global" chat if you will.

View PostDemona, on 08 August 2012 - 06:30 PM, said:

An MMO is any online game that has no single-player functionality. It does not imply MMORPG in any way, shape or form.

Hate to break it to you, but there are hundreds of games with no singleplayer but not many people playing on one server.

Edited by IronWolf Vascus, 08 August 2012 - 06:48 PM.

#85 Scytale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:51 PM

View PostIronWolf Vascus, on 08 August 2012 - 06:49 PM, said:

They're considering they use the exact same set up as a game like WoT, LoL has two servers, EU and US, but the sheer amount of people playing on one is ridiculous. You can just look at Xfire to get an idea. As said, MMO is just massively multiplayer online, if you ask me, 11million+ active players, with over 30 million accounts. Yeah, sounds massive to me.

Works for me. I'm still a little iffy on the role persistence plays, but that's really just splitting hairs now~

#86 Monolith

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 134 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:51 PM

View PostScytale, on 08 August 2012 - 06:28 PM, said:

Why is this so upsetting to you? I agree also that it ultimately doesn't make a difference - the discussion is academic, but that doesn't make it worthless.

Did I say it was upsetting? Or worthless? Semantically speaking, I suppose the 'alas' could have implied upsettedness. If I recall (which I frequently don't, at least with crystal clarity...), I was just being sarcastic.

On a separate note, upsettedness is now your word of the day, children! Please use it in a sentence and include all conjugations of its post-verbal particulate projection in official Btech cannon.

#87 The Helepolis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 243 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:56 PM

View PostXathanael, on 08 August 2012 - 06:28 PM, said:

This dude is a n00b.. he has no idea what he is talking about. Watch what you post. NDA still in effect. I think he wants World of Battlemechs with lazor pistuhls andz chocolates

Sir, whilst the term "noob" is beyond ghastly, I see where you're coming from. Yes, we'd love to tell you more, but the NDA is a first priority over here. I have nothing to say about Mechwarrior Online other than the lore and that I'm looking forward to the full release.

View PostScytale, on 08 August 2012 - 06:51 PM, said:

Works for me. I'm still a little iffy on the role persistence plays, but that's really just splitting hairs now~

Splitting hairs is very very meticulous indeed, but since when has game classification been an easy task. People all have their different interpretations, I'm just trying to point out the most literal of the term MMO.

View PostMonolith, on 08 August 2012 - 06:51 PM, said:

Did I say it was upsetting? Or worthless? Semantically speaking, I suppose the 'alas' could have implied upsettedness. If I recall (which I frequently don't, at least with crystal clarity...), I was just being sarcastic.

On a separate note, upsettedness is now your word of the day, children! Please use it in a sentence and include all conjugations of its post-verbal particulate projection in official Btech cannon.

Alas usually means grief and sorrow, so yes he was right. Sarcasm is very hard to interpret when there's no text to state so, after all sarcasm is usually only distinguishable by facial reaction and tone of voice. But of course, some blatantly obvious sarcasm is findable. "Thanks a lot Captain obvious, I'd never have made it without you" etc

Edited by IronWolf Vascus, 08 August 2012 - 07:46 PM.

#88 Monolith

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 134 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:16 PM

View PostIronWolf Vascus, on 08 August 2012 - 06:56 PM, said:

Alas usually means grief and sorrow, so yes he was right. Sarcasm is very hard to interpret when there's no text, afterall sarcasm is usually only distinguishable by facial reaction and tone of voice. But of course, some blatantly obvious sarcasm is findable. "Thanks a lot Captain obvious, I'd never have made it without you" etc

Touche. You sir, are a champion of semantics... Were you captain of the debate team at the Nagelring? If not, in behalf of all those present, I dub thee SIR Mantics with all the honors and previleges... blah-de-blah, etc, etc, et cetera......

/sarcasm ...was that blatant enough? Seriously, though. Semantically speaking, you are a god amongst mere mortals. Also, extra brownie points for using the previous word of the day: 'ghastly' in a sentence!

#89 The Helepolis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 243 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:28 PM

View PostMonolith, on 08 August 2012 - 07:16 PM, said:

Touche. You sir, are a champion of semantics... Were you captain of the debate team at the Nagelring? If not, in behalf of all those present, I dub thee SIR Mantics with all the honors and previleges... blah-de-blah, etc, etc, et cetera......

/sarcasm ...was that blatant enough? Seriously, though. Semantically speaking, you are a god amongst mere mortals. Also, extra brownie points for using the previous word of the day: 'ghastly' in a sentence!

One has to stay ahead of these sorts of things! Yeah, but some people can't read into sarcasm, go easy on them sir!

View Postjellowiggler, on 08 August 2012 - 07:16 PM, said:

This game is as much an MMO as World of Tanks is. In other words it isn't.

They both feature staged, set map battles with limited players and a match maker. The battles eventually will have some effect on a world map that functions on a completely different level from the skirmish game.

I like this type of game just fine. The problem is that the two halves never really integrate well. The only thing the devs keep doing in World of Tanks to keep things fresh in introduce more tanks in to the tech tree and add a map or two every few months. There is no real world effect, no story, no overall goal, nothing. Just fighting to crawl up the tech tree and equip your tank with the highest level of gear.

They are also both free to play, with tech trees and a game currency that can be bought and converted from real money.

The two games are very similar.

WoT lasted me a year. I hope MWO goes longer.

I still play WoT once in a blue moon, we're entitled to our interpretation of MMO, but I just use it by how it sounds, lot of players on one server? MMO! But hell to each their own, I just recognize MWO as being an Online game, and leaving it at that. :P I've been asking for a new Mechwarrior game and my prayer was answered who am I to question their designs, I'll just express my thoughts like a good little boy!

Also want to add that MMO games never have to be linked with a persistent world, MMO to me is just a game on one server with lots of players, regardless if the game runs on a matchmaking system, or if they glorify with some other meaning irrelevant to what the game still stands for. Example "Queued for x matchmaking or filter this" can confuse things a little bit, for the sake of my (and others) sanity, I just classify MMO as lots of people on one game at a time, even if they aren't in the same match as you. (or playing field, world etc) MMO=/= MMORPG, that's commonly misunderstood because saying MMO is so much faster than saying MMORPG. What by like half a second? Time well saved!

Edited by IronWolf Vascus, 08 August 2012 - 07:32 PM.

#90 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:36 PM

I play with a group of friends a WOW-Dungeon-Group and the only time i see more than 5 players is in Stormwind.
When i travelled the WOW-World to level a bit i was the only person around.
In MWO i have per Match ~3 times the players around me compared to WOW and per hour its probably 15 times the players.
So i feel that MWO is more a MMO than WOW.

Btw bought everyone of the Group the Legendary Founder pack and all have a blast to be in the beta and feel its probably the best thing since mmos have been invented.

#91 Scytale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:37 PM

View PostMonolith, on 08 August 2012 - 06:51 PM, said:

Never mind me, just taking things too seriously again =P

#92 Monolith

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 134 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:39 PM

View PostIronWolf Vascus, on 08 August 2012 - 07:28 PM, said:

One has to stay ahead of these sorts of things! Yeah, but some people can't read into sarcasm, go easy on them sir!

(EDIT: I am still figuring out how to use the multi-quote button...)

Just as a disclaimer on any posts I make: past, present & future.

I almost never intend offense with anything I say. (I add the almost because never is a very strong word...) If something I say seems like it might have been offensive, odds are it was probably meant as sarcasm or light-hearted verbal tom-foolery.

View PostThorqemada, on 08 August 2012 - 07:36 PM, said:

I play with a group of friends a WOW-Dungeon-Group and the only time i see more than 5 players is in Stormwind.
When i travelled the WOW-World to level a bit i was the only person around.
In MWO i have per Match ~3 times the players around me compared to WOW and per hour its probably 15 times the players.
So i feel that MWO is more a MMO than WOW.

Btw bought everyone of the Group the Legendary Founder pack and all have a blast to be in the beta and feel its probably the best thing since mmos have been invented.

& you sir... Nothing like a little perspective.

Edited by Monolith, 08 August 2012 - 07:42 PM.

#93 Scytale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:43 PM

View PostMonolith, on 08 August 2012 - 07:39 PM, said:

(EDIT: I am still figuring out how to use the multi-quote button...)

Just as a disclaimer on any posts I make: past, present & future.

I almost never intend offense with anything I say. (I add the almost because never is a very strong word...) If something I say seems like it might have been offensive, odds are it was probably meant as sarcasm or light-hearted verbal tom-foolery.

*bow* Yes, sir. I apologise for my previous spiky reaction - as Ironwolf said, some people suck at interpreting sarcasm in a text-based format, and I am one of these!

#94 The Helepolis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 243 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:45 PM

Yeah, I try to be as nice as possible on this forum, after all we're all here for the same game. Nothing long with a bit of shared opinions to heat ideas up.

View PostScytale, on 08 August 2012 - 07:43 PM, said:

*bow* Yes, sir. I apologise for my previous spiky reaction - as Ironwolf said, some people suck at interpreting sarcasm in a text-based format, and I am one of these!

Nothing wrong with it, most likely just means you're very busy or quick to make a decision, that my friend is a double edged blade, just like me. Some people think me being over analytical is me talking down to them, I just do it to ensure no problems arise :P

#95 Selbstmord

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:46 PM

View PostDragonlord, on 08 August 2012 - 02:50 PM, said:

A common misconception.
And no, a persistent world is NOT a requirement for an MMO.

I don't care what the status of the game is.
MMO is real simple. MASSIVE: Refering to the player base. MULTIPLAYER: Refering to how the game is played, Single/Multi? This is MULTI, and not SINGLE. Finally we have, ONLINE: Refering to how the game is played, ONLINE.

Anyone talking about a 'persistent world' should pack up your bags and go back to your World of Warcraft days, where you learned the term "MMORPG" and thought you could just cut off the first 3 letters and make it your own.

Edited by Selbstmord, 08 August 2012 - 07:47 PM.

#96 The Helepolis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 243 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:48 PM

View PostSelbstmord, on 08 August 2012 - 07:46 PM, said:

MMO is real simple. MASSIVE: Refering to the player base. MULTIPLAYER: Refering agian to the player base, but more importantly describing as MULTI, and not SINGLE. Finally we have, ONLINE: Refering to how the game is played, ONLINE.

Anyone talking about a 'persistent world' should pack up your bags and go back to your World of Warcraft days, where you learned the term "MMORPG" and thought you could just cut off the first 3 letters and make it your own.

No reason to act like a Raccoon stuck in a bear trap, I stated this before hand, but most people do confuse persistent world with that of something being linked to an MMO game.

#97 Scytale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:55 PM

View PostSelbstmord, on 08 August 2012 - 07:46 PM, said:

MMO is real simple. MASSIVE: Refering to the player base. MULTIPLAYER: Refering to how the game is played, Single/Multi? This is MULTI, and not SINGLE. Finally we have, ONLINE: Refering to how the game is played, ONLINE.

In defence of those who do talk about a persistent world, and I was one of these, it is (edit: at least somewhat) reasonable to apply the term to non MMORPG games. If it's good enough for Wikipedia, it's good enough for me.

Edited by Scytale, 08 August 2012 - 07:55 PM.

#98 The Helepolis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 243 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:59 PM

View PostScytale, on 08 August 2012 - 07:55 PM, said:

In defence of those who do talk about a persistent world, and I was one of these, it is (edit: at least somewhat) reasonable to apply the term to non MMORPG games. If it's good enough for Wikipedia, it's good enough for me.

Most singleplayer games do apply a persistent progression system, MMOs have a mixed time line entirely based on when the player joins, so time progression moves differently. A single player game is much easier to do so, it's commonly very linear entirely based on the quest system done at your own pace. This game has a pretty large community, not exactly massive, it is multiplayer, and it is online based. (Not LAN or single system multiplayer) So yes, persistence can be applied to a multiplayer game to a certain degree, but what stays persistent, the effects of the environment, or the strength of your character? Amongst other such examples. :P

Edited by IronWolf Vascus, 08 August 2012 - 08:01 PM.

#99 Scytale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:05 PM

View PostIronWolf Vascus, on 08 August 2012 - 07:59 PM, said:

Most singleplayer games do apply a persistent progression system, MMOs have a mixed time line entirely based on when the player joins, so time progression moves differently. A single player game is much easier to do so, it's commonly very linear entirely based on the quest system done at your own pace. This game has a pretty large community, not exactly massive, it is multiplayer, and it is online based. (Not LAN or single system multiplayer) So yes, persistence can be applied to a multiplayer game to a certain degree, but what stays persistent, the effects of the environment, or the strength of your character, and other such examples. :P

Very true - again the problem is of defining what persistence is, right? =P Do we limit it only to virtual worlds, and if so, when is an inhabitable multiplayer world considered persistent? Or do we extend it to all forms of statistics tracking?

#100 Selbstmord

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:07 PM

View PostScytale, on 08 August 2012 - 07:55 PM, said:

A bum could of wrote that wiki page up.

Alright, I read up wiki though a link would of been nice.

So a persistant world, PW: In this case, I would say that my mechs are going to be the PW. I buy a mech, I customize said mech, I play games, I exit the game. Come back on next day, and my mech is still there, as it was. THAT is our persistant world.
I mean if you want to apply a term that was brought up from MMORPGs, that is how I would use it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users