Atlas or Daishi?

703 replies to this topic

#421 TimberJon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:55 PM

Holy Kerensky's combat boots! This thing is still going?

Ok I'll come back and compromise with an Atlas IIC. Also when The great exodus happened, wouldn't they have taken Atlases with them? And then shouldn't some of them end up being in some of the Clan militaries? Unless there is a historical snippet I missed about how all the Atlases the Clans had in the early years were all destroyed due to the wars they had amongst themselves, wouldn't this totem of the Star League be worshipped and either protected by maintenance or else factory production?

If not, then it is either a part of the old poisoned star league and is not worth revisiting in Clan factories or it was inferior junk compared to any new Clan designs that rolled out.

I'll then ask why a Daishi II or some redesign has never happened?

#422 TimberJon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:30 PM

Oh yea I just wanted to note the armor issue in MW4. Even if you had one tick or two of armor, a full alpha strike could not total that hitbox. So, I would reduce all armor on my Daishi for urban combat and load the following:

3x LBX-20
2x LBX-10
2x ER-LL or 1x ER-L Pulse

With one tick of armor everywhere and the rest in the center, I could survive a full shot from anything even the -no offense, lame atlas- and then make it lick my Clan boots with one shot, anywhere. If I hit your frikkin radar dish with this shot any 'Mech would fall over and skid a few meters. Even though the LBX-10's reloaded faster, by the time you got up I was out of your firing arc and would pop on my next shot. Nothing fielded damage like this. Not even the worshipped Fafnir, sorry.

One on one, a true veteran was the only pilot to take me out if I had already engaged another one or two prior. Otherwise, with this design, my K/d ratio average was at least 4/1.

Edited by TimberJon, 01 July 2012 - 08:12 PM.

#423 DeathKnight1

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:00 PM

I say Daishi because I am firm believer in speed as well as strong armor and to me the Daishi incorporates both. However saying that, seeing a Atlas on the battlefield is always nerve racking with their long range lasers but as I said, I prefer a Daishi.

#424 MajorLeeHung

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 392 posts
  • LocationMerced, CA

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:12 PM

View PostJoe Davion 86, on 24 January 2012 - 12:02 PM, said:

Meh, Neither...Victor, all day everyday id like to see ur atlas or dire wolf out dance me.

Dont need to out dance you. Just blow holes in you from range all day everyday in my Atlas :)

View PostDeathKnight1, on 01 July 2012 - 08:00 PM, said:

I say Daishi because I am firm believer in speed as well as strong armor and to me the Daishi incorporates both. However saying that, seeing a Atlas on the battlefield is always nerve racking with their long range lasers but as I said, I prefer a Daishi.

You know there the same speed and have an armor difference of like 8 right?

Edited by MajorLeeHung, 01 July 2012 - 08:13 PM.

#425 Modi

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 17 posts
  • LocationBismarck, ND

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:51 PM

View PostKo Time, on 30 June 2012 - 05:33 PM, said:

neither tbh, a Pillager if i absolutely have to have an assault.

The Pillager is a nice mech.

#426 Rorusbass

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationBelow MSL

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:00 AM

Annihilator now, Daishi later (I'm IS so it's Daishi ;)), Blood asp even later

#427 Steinerwolf

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationMystical Woodlands of Damp North Pacific

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:25 AM

If the game ever allows it. I would have to go with an Atlas to punch some one to death.

#428 Adrian Carino

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 133 posts
  • LocationEl Paso Texas

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:34 AM

Atlas or a Dire Wolf huh? Tough choice. I'd probably go with an Atlas. The whole looking like a walking skull thing IS kinda scary.

#429 Daniel Wraith

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:36 AM

View PostTimberJon, on 01 July 2012 - 04:55 PM, said:

Holy Kerensky's combat boots! This thing is still going?

Ok I'll come back and compromise with an Atlas IIC. Also when The great exodus happened, wouldn't they have taken Atlases with them? And then shouldn't some of them end up being in some of the Clan militaries? Unless there is a historical snippet I missed about how all the Atlases the Clans had in the early years were all destroyed due to the wars they had amongst themselves, wouldn't this totem of the Star League be worshipped and either protected by maintenance or else factory production?

If not, then it is either a part of the old poisoned star league and is not worth revisiting in Clan factories or it was inferior junk compared to any new Clan designs that rolled out.

I'll then ask why a Daishi II or some redesign has never happened?

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Atlas_II

#430 Neenja

• PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:02 AM

Lower profile on the Daishi makes a difference.... otherwise the tradeoff is mostly offense vs defense. The exposed and forward-jutting cockpit on a Daishi is a lot easier to hit in previous MW games, and I don't expect it to be much different in this one.

This is somewhat balanced by a much more powerful one-two-three punch combo that can eat through armor pretty quickly without needing to pause. While the Atlas certainly doesn't lack firepower, pilots usually have to waste precious seconds lining up the shot for the big AC-20 or Gauss Rifle to be really effective.

#431 Owl Vaughan

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationDefiance Industries Moon Laboratory

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:40 AM

I generally prefer Clan mechs but hey I'm Steiner so the Atlas for me. The extra armour and that skull head are cool.

#432 Hybris

Rookie

• 7 posts
  • LocationIn my Atlas flying on Jump Jets... coming for you.

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:09 PM

I'm a solid Atlas fan and if I had to have one it would be the Atlas II AS7-D-H2 variant BUT I would junk one of the Medium pluse lasers so I didn't have to lose a heat sink.

Also I would swap the ER Large lasers for the best ER Large pluse lasers I could mount.

#433 JoshuaWolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 174 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:12 PM

i say a Atlas

#434 Skadi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts
  • LocationUtgarde Pinnacle

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:18 PM

Diashi meens atlas killer... just saying
i actualy rather have a daishi for the sheer power of it, and this is coming from a lyran.
also http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Atlas_II

Edited by Skadi, 12 July 2012 - 07:20 PM.

#435 Duke William

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationIS

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:18 PM

I always liked the Mauler. Maybe because as a kid I had a toy one, and there was one in that mechwarrior cartoon.

#436 DeathKnight1

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:33 PM

View PostDeathKnight1, on 01 July 2012 - 08:00 PM, said:

Yes I am aware of that, but I still believe the Daishi has the edge.

View PostMajorLeeHung, on 01 July 2012 - 08:12 PM, said:

You know there the same speed and have an armor difference of like 8 right?

Edit: Yes I am aware of that but I still say Daishi as the edge

#437 Sainamu

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 52 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:37 PM

Daishi all the way

#438 Skadi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts
  • LocationUtgarde Pinnacle

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:37 PM

Posted Image

#439 Hybris

Rookie

• 7 posts
  • LocationIn my Atlas flying on Jump Jets... coming for you.

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:37 PM

View PostSkadi, on 12 July 2012 - 08:37 PM, said:

Posted Image

NO ONE EXPECTS A ATLAS WITH LONG TOM'S!

#440 Hykelion

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 82 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:42 PM

I originally chose Atlas and intend to keep it that way. I'm just going to share something I noticed when looking over the Atlas variants on Sarna:

AS7-K3 - A modification of the K2, the K3 removed the two Streak SRM-6 launchers and replaced them with three jump jets and a Streak SRM-4 launcher, giving the AS7-K3 incredible maneuverability.

Looking at that... there's a very real possibility of flying Atlases in MWO. This is too amazing to pass up.

Edited by Hykelion, 13 July 2012 - 07:49 PM.

29 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 29 guests, 0 anonymous users