Interesting or horrible. Not sure.

http://www.theverge....team-greenlight

http://steamcommunity.com/greenlight

#2 Lightdragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts
  • Locationwisconsin

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:26 PM

if mwo ends up on steam im gonna be pissed...

#3 Manthony Higgs

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 414 posts
  • LocationMount Vernon, Washington, USA

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:29 PM

I love Steam! Seeing MWO on steam would be cool, but there'd be a huge influx of terrible players who would think this is tf2 with robots.

#4 Bluey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • LocationAnatolia

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:29 PM

Noo lol no steam please they cost alot on companies
For my pocket sake we shouldnt cause another founders program

Edited by Bluey, 09 July 2012 - 01:29 PM.

#5 Lieferant

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:36 PM

i say we should do the opposite, let's lobby for MW:O to not be added to Steam :)

Edited by Lieferant, 09 July 2012 - 01:36 PM.

#6 Dreadnought13

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 173 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:39 PM

I like Steam well enough, I use it near daily, but I want MW:O as far away from it as possible. Steam is for indies and FPSs. Steam + MMO = Awkward, every time. Steam + MW, I'd rather not find out.

#7 LogicalTightRope

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 146 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, USA

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:41 PM

This looks like an amazing addition to Steam. Personally though, I'm on the fence on whether MW:O should be in there. I'm thinking not. Overall though, Green Light looks like an awesome program. After all, Workshop's similar system works rather well.

#8 Derek Icelord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 542 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:52 PM

There've been a few (at least) threads on this already. In one of them Russ stopped by and said that getting a game to Steam is a significant $$$ investment for the developer. They need to weigh the pros and cons and determine if it's worth the investment before making a decision.

#9 Lightdragon

• 1,212 posts
  • Locationwisconsin

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:22 PM

i say to hell with steam if you want it on steam so bad add it as a non steam game to use your stupid messanger, why take money out of the devs pockets to pad valves greedy wallets

#10 Derek Icelord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 542 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:28 PM

I've caught this from previous posts as well, so I have to ask... what's with the Valve hate?

EDIT: Previous posts by multiple posters, not trying to single anyone out.

Edited by Derek Icelord, 09 July 2012 - 02:29 PM.

#11 Skadi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts
  • LocationUtgarde Pinnacle

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:33 PM

Dont care if it dose, ill be adding MW:O as a "non-steam game" free advertisement when im playing, and it can still chat with people on steam.

View PostLightdragon, on 09 July 2012 - 02:22 PM, said:

add it as a non steam game to use your stupid messanger,

And what makes the messenger so stupid? not like theres anything wrong with socalising and gaming, hell it gos hand in hand, and valves "stupid messenger" system makes it easy to do mid match (**** you MWLL for making me go through hell and back to do anything outside the game)

Edited by Skadi, 09 July 2012 - 02:37 PM.

#12 Shredhead

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,939 posts
  • LocationLeipzig, Germany

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:37 PM

Blackmailing using some ...folks... to justify Valves greed. Ugly stuff. But hey, PGI/IGP, if you're in the top ten you know you already made it high up without this so called "advertisement platform" and are able to stand on your own feet!

Edited by Shredhead, 09 July 2012 - 02:38 PM.

#13 Necrodemus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSouthwestern Virginia, USA

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:38 PM

View PostBaneReIIiK, on 09 July 2012 - 01:22 PM, said:

This could work out well for Piranha without them ever using Steam. MWO could be submitted to Greenlight. That would give it some additional exposure to Steam's massive audience.... but Piranha doesn't have to say yes. :)

Basically Steam users would be able to see info about MWO without it actually being available on Steam.

Edit: Of course... this means it's a smaller section of Steam's user-base, i.e. only the people actually checking out games listed on Greenlight.

Edited by Necrodemus, 09 July 2012 - 02:40 PM.

#14 hornet331

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:44 PM

View PostLightdragon, on 09 July 2012 - 02:22 PM, said:

i say to hell with steam if you want it on steam so bad add it as a non steam game to use your stupid messanger, why take money out of the devs pockets to pad valves greedy wallets

You are one funny fellow, you know what the normal split was under the normal retailers?.. 20/80 under the best conditions (usually lower), meaning 20% for the devs, steam turned that around to 60/40 and now 70/30 and allowed even smaller devs and later indy devs to publish there games truth there platform making games like meatboy a huge success (its even more funny that it first sold on xbox live but only get a few thousand sales but once it launched on steam for pc sales went trough the roof).

If you think MWO will never come to steam then you are delusional, they will follow the pattern of pretty much all the the other F2P games on steam. First monetize your initial user base on your own without any needs to share cash with anyone. When the interests keeps dieing (usually in between 6-12 months after launch) and you don't have enough money to run your own marketing you tab into the huge user base of steam to gain more players and possible consumers of your game. Of course now you have to give a certain part of the income to vavle, but considering the additional user base its a small price when you have to tuck along by yourself.

Its what hirez did with Tribes:A.

Edited by hornet331, 09 July 2012 - 02:46 PM.

#15 Mu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:44 PM

View PostShredhead, on 09 July 2012 - 02:37 PM, said:

Blackmailing using some ...folks... to justify Valves greed. Ugly stuff. But hey, PGI, IGP. if you're in the top ten you know you already made it high up without this so called "advertisement platform" and are able to stand on your own feet!

You are missing the point. There are quite a few games that have been denied from steam for various reasons, such as Mutant Mudds which was recently rejected. This is Valve's reaction to the community's complaints about that kind of stuff.

As for MWO, there is absolutely no reason for a F2P game to immediately turn to steam since it would take a significant cut out of their revenue. If they turn to steam at all it will be a good ways into the game's lifespan when the increased exposure would outweigh the drawbacks. I don't think I can even name a single F2P game that started out on steam, but if Tribes eventually did it then MWO probably will.

#16 Skadi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts
  • LocationUtgarde Pinnacle

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:46 PM

View Posthornet331, on 09 July 2012 - 02:44 PM, said:

Its what hirez did with Tribes:A.

i loved that game untill they included the Jackal nade launcher type weapon... not even sure what it would be considered besides broken :)

#17 Derek Icelord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 542 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:50 PM

View PostDomoKirby, on 09 July 2012 - 02:36 PM, said:

I would rather have MWO on Origin rather than in Steam, my opinion.

MW:O goes on Origin, I stop playing. I refuse to have anything to do with Electronic Arts.

#18 akaChrisHimself

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 292 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:53 PM

View PostDerek Icelord, on 09 July 2012 - 02:50 PM, said:

MW:O goes on Origin, I stop playing. I refuse to have anything to do with Electronic Arts.

Really? But Origin works so great and never has completely moronic errors or ads.

/sarcasm

#19 KaOTiK911

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:02 PM

View PostDerek Icelord, on 09 July 2012 - 02:28 PM, said:

I've caught this from previous posts as well, so I have to ask... what's with the Valve hate?

EDIT: Previous posts by multiple posters, not trying to single anyone out.

I've noticed it too, and frankly it is sad. Most don't give any reason for the hate or give the most superficial answer possible. I've seen so much information as well, it is like they used it when it first came out with HL2 and haven't touched it since. There is a reason it has become the number one place for PC games. Also most act like if it goes on Steam that is the only way you can use it, again they don't read up or don't care. All the F2P games and MMO's on Steam can also be played off their own client even if you bought the Steam version (for instance, you buy Eve Online from Steam, you can just plug the CD key you get from them into your Eve Online account and can download and play the game without ever touching Steam again if you wish).

Also, the person who said they rather MWO use Origin instead of Steam? LOL ***? Take everything you hate about Steam, then add a bunch more crap on top of it to hate and you have Origin.

#20 Vieric

• PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:03 PM

In all honesty, I very much hate platforms like steam, however both steam and origin get extra hatred for me, origins hatred is due to me feeling that EA in general is a blight on the gaming industry. (not trying to offend anyone, this is merely my opinion, which i state only for explanation purposes)

As for steam, Its a bit tougher to explain, and quite frankly anyone who doesn't share my train of thought may find it a bit silly. Simply put I fear steam is growing too powerful and may well monopolize the gaming industry, In essence, I fear Steam becoming the way I perceive EA, but about 10 times worse. Don't get me wrong, I like steams concept and they certainly aren't like this as of now, I just feel they are coming into too much power for a single entity to hold without things going bad.

As stated above, I am not trying to offend anybody, these are merely my opinions and I'm not forcing anyone to think as I do, I am simply stating how I feel, If this angers you, I apologize.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users