Depressing Mech Choices

483 replies to this topic

#341 Hell Grunt

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:18 PM

I too am not really fond of mechs that look too "human", preferring chicken-walkers or mechs similar to the Rifleman, Warhammer or Malice, vaguely humanoid but still more akin to walking tanks than humans.

Posted Image
What's there not to like with a kickass chicken-walker?

Edited by Hell Grunt, 14 March 2012 - 01:22 PM.

#342 Eegxeta

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 134 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:23 PM

I was looking forward to having hands. I want to pick a light mech up and chuck it at a wall or use it to club other mech that would be fun. I'd also like to be a light mech and jump jet up and knock a mech down and then just jump on it smashing the armor and weapons off. Just being able to kick around a downed mech would be amusing.

Atlas smash!

A fist fight between two mechs would be pretty fun to watch.

Edited by Eegxeta, 14 March 2012 - 01:36 PM.

#343 Eegxeta

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 134 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:34 PM

View PostJehan, on 08 March 2012 - 06:45 PM, said:

3.- Helping my mech to get up after being knocked-down. I know that up to date, all mechs without arms have had those 'magic powers' that enable them to magically levitate and get up... But in real world, WE ALL know that those mechs, once down, would NEVER get up again. In fact, those mechs would need another mech with hands to pick them and help them getting up. Also, placing my mech's weight upon a hand allows me to not bend/damage my gun barrels while getting up.

I actually sat down one day and tried to figure out how a raven mech would stand back up after it fell and I think it might actually be able to do it but it would take a while, it wouldn't be without damage, look very pretty or be easy. I don't know the exactly how far the joints can bend so this might not work, but if it were to roll over and prop itself up with the "beak/nose" of the body I think that would raise it enough to pull the legs up under the mech since it is a chicken-walker.

#344 Garth Erlam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,756 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • YouTube: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:39 PM

View PostEegxeta, on 14 March 2012 - 01:34 PM, said:

I actually sat down one day and tried to figure out how a raven mech would stand back up after it fell and I think it might actually be able to do it but it would take a while, it wouldn't be without damage, look very pretty or be easy. I don't know the exactly how far the joints can bend so this might not work, but if it were to roll over and prop itself up with the "beak/nose" of the body I think that would raise it enough to pull the legs up under the mech since it is a chicken-walker.

Can t-rex's stand up after they fall? They have 'chicken legs' and no arms to speak of.

#345 Slyck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:42 PM

I think its tail is important so that it can get the legs under it's center of mass.

#346 CeeKay Boques

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:44 PM

Ugh, Slyck had it covered so...

But if the two legs are standing...It would need to prop on its nose first, then leg rotors can bring the head up.

Edited by Technoviking, 14 March 2012 - 01:45 PM.

#347 Garth Erlam

• 2,756 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • YouTube: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:44 PM

http://www.buzzle.co...82-56224-26.jpg
1) Has no arms to speak of
2) No tail

3) Can fall over and get up.

:)

#348 Slyck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:48 PM

Man that thing is freaky.

Actual alot of little birds just seem to be able quickly hop up witch a quick shift of their weight relatively small weight. Maybe chicken walkers should have extra heavy gyros that can spring them back upright.

#349 Dakkonn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 120 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:48 PM

People that have lost their arms are able to get back up just fine. Try laying down on the floor and not using your arms to stand up. It can easily be done you just have to rework how you move your body when getting your legs under you. Heck as flat as an Atlas's back is I'd say that would have a harder time getting up then some of these other mechs.

Edited by Dakkonn, 14 March 2012 - 01:50 PM.

#350 CeeKay Boques

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:49 PM

I would like to see series of videos where someone gently knocks that cute little bird on his butt and then it gets up. Y'know, for science. The giggles are part of the test.

#351 Jack Gammel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationZiliang

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:55 PM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 14 March 2012 - 01:44 PM, said:

http://www.buzzle.co...82-56224-26.jpg
1) Has no arms to speak of
2) No tail
3) Can fall over and get up.

:)

But to be fair, the bird is a whole lot lighter than a mech.

In all serious though, hands have been part of BT since the beginning. Regardless of BT's roots in anime (which are there whether you want them to be or not), the fluff clearly supports the premise that IS pilots LIKE mechs with hands. While hands might have limited utility on a battlefield, they are useful for a wide variety of jobs outside the battlefield which require manipulation of the environment. Furthermore, close combat is an established tactic in BT (whether people like it or not), and hands aide in this role as well. I would post that image of an Atlas punching through a Warhawk's torso, but I think someone already posted it.

Ultimately, these are giant fighting robots...

#352 Ebon

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:56 PM

LAMs are the whole reason Battletech got sued by RObotech folks I believe it was and seriously hurt the franchise. All my fav meck to run on table wher ethe handless ones as well but as long as it visually fits I don't care either way. (just want my mad dog /vulture omni)

#353 Hell Grunt

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:06 PM

Another thing I'd like to see are quad mechs, never seen one outside the books/TT.

Mechs like the Trebaruna and Scorpion.

Edited by Hell Grunt, 14 March 2012 - 02:06 PM.

#354 Jack Gammel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationZiliang

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:11 PM

View PostHell Grunt, on 14 March 2012 - 02:06 PM, said:

Another thing I'd like to see are quad mechs, never seen one outside the books/TT.

Mechs like the Trebaruna and Scorpion.

Or the better AT-AT. http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Sirocco

If Armored Core can do it, then why not MW:O?

#355 Felbombling

• 2,976 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:00 PM

The Mechs under the Falconer are probably the Shujenja [Sp?], Strider and Hammer. Just a guess.

Edited by StaggerCheck, 14 March 2012 - 03:02 PM.

#356 Fachxphyre

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 80 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:02 PM

i have to say, there's a special place in my heart for the Nova (quad med pulse lasers, enough heat sinks to fire continuously ad nauseum, a full complement of jump jets, extra armor and an XL engine . . . drool), and i doubt that any other 50 tonner will take its place. that being said, there are some pretty wicked IS mechs out there i'm really looking forward to piloting, especially some of them that were featured in MW2: Mercenaries.

#357 Stone Wolf

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 4 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the states

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:11 PM

View PostRender, on 27 January 2012 - 10:50 AM, said:

I totaly agree... Thank you
If it has a humanoid form I dont like very much.
I do not want to play power raingers.

To me the coolest looking mech is the Vulture.

agreed, the Mad Dog is my all time favorite, just below it though is the Timber Wolf, now how many people know those without looking them up? first should be overly easy....

#358 TheGunheart

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:12 PM

View Postmaxoconnor, on 14 March 2012 - 11:55 AM, said:

One more!!!
Wyvern
Posted Image

Oh, god. I so want this one.

As for me, I got into Battletech back with the Crecent Hawks games, so I'm open to everything. I generally prefer the more anime look, so it's nice to see some that appeal more to my taste in addition to the less humanoid ones.

#359 Aidan Ramsdell

• PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:23 PM

...Okay. This forum went from the hands issue, to anime, then tree's, back to hands, to FD's art, to hands, and back to FD's art. I love BT!

#360 Nasty McBadman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationPhilly 'Burbs

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:29 PM

View Postmaxoconnor, on 14 March 2012 - 11:24 AM, said:

I found more FD works out there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Check these bad boys out.
Falconer
Posted Image

OMG I'm in LOVE with this Jagermech!!!
Posted Image

An Initiate.

Posted Image

3 other random mechs, not sure what they are.
Posted Image

And I don't think this is FD's work, but its cool never the less.
Posted Image

I think the left one of the three "unknowns" is a Sunder.The middle one is a Strider, and the one on the right could be a Spector.

Edited by Nasty McBadman, 14 March 2012 - 04:06 PM.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users