483 replies to this topic

#441 Project_Mercy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 430 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:44 PM

Wow, serious thread necromancy.

But seriously. Why would you NOT want hands on your mech? First of all, it makes sense for controlling it. Second of all, all Battletech combat is performed at danger-close ranges, which means you're going to be up in someone's grill, which means PUNCHING. Even better, when you rip/blast the other guy's leg/arm off, you can pick it up and BEAT HIM WITH IT. Third, if you're just going to roll around and shoot ****, drive a tank. Flipping people off with your walking tank? BRILLIANT!

Man, I could go on.

Edited by Wraeththix Constantine, 03 July 2012 - 03:44 PM.

#442 SUSTINET

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 116 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:45 PM

Hmmm, by mohawk are you referring to the Centurion? Cause if so, thems fightin words brother! JK ;P, but seriously it's not a mohawk! It's modeled after the horse hair crest on ancient roman MILITARY helmets, and is full of electronics and various sensors and what not. And I think the re design looks very good. Some mech designs did have hands, and have been known to even latch on to each other while blasting away at point blank, SOME EVEN HAVE HATCHETS AND SWORDS FOR CLOSE COMBAT, that's just the beauty of the variety of death that the BT universe has to offer. It's part of the mechs classic designs and has carried over from the good old days, even if the hands are non functional I still have no problems with them, and I don't see anything that screams Gundam honestly. Gundam is a bit of an extreme comparison, they are VERY different, anyone with eyeballs and a brain can see that, no offense. None of our mechs are striking dumb karate poses with pretty colors swirling around as we charge our super game winning I WIN button to decimate an entire field of enemies which we could have just done at the beginning of the stupid episode :P But opinions vary, that's just mine.

#443 Sierra19

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:52 PM

What's the point of playing a game with big, giant, stompy robots, if they don't look like, well, big, giant stompy robots?

#444 Davion5150

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:55 PM

I'm not bothered by hands. But, functionally, hands are not a good choice. Claws on the other hand are a different story and very viable. If hands were useful, why did the clans put claws, and not hands, on their suits of battle armor?

#445 Nikohki

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 74 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:55 PM

View PostSierra19, on 03 July 2012 - 03:52 PM, said:

What's the point of playing a game with big, giant, stompy robots, if they don't look like, well, big, giant stompy robots?

Speaking of Giant robots...

Posted Image

#446 Jeremy Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationWDS Alexander or Northwind. Take your pick

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:57 PM

I always prefered the hunched over designs, like the Shadow Cat, Cougar, etc. Mad Cat also.

I just dislike the humanoid ones. They don't feel like they should be in MechWarrior (ok, I don't mind the Atlas or Ragnarok...) but hey, that's just me.

Also.

The marauder.

Robotech's Officer Pod. If anyone denies it, then...well, not sure what I can threaten you with outside of posting ponies. Edit: Or, if that gets deleted, I'll stick with my triple facepalm picture. Because, who doesn't love Hogan's Heroes?

Edited by Jeremy Hunter, 03 July 2012 - 03:57 PM.

#447 Tenrai

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationDeep in Davion controlled space aboard the Overlord class dropship Nobara

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:07 PM

Believe me you are going to want your buddy's mech to have hands when it comes time to pull off that limit mine that you thought was a new zit on your back....(smirks)...

#448 Virgil Caine

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:08 PM

I don't want my Mechs to look like Gundam... I want them to look like they're in Macross...

#449 Endless Ike

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:14 PM

Edited by Endless Ike, 03 July 2012 - 04:15 PM.

#450 Sychodemus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:34 PM

(sprays thread with Zom-Be-Gone)

Geez, some 'Mechs in Battletech have hands. Some don't.

There are three main uses for hands: More effective punches, Smash-and-Grab and 'Mech emotes. One of these is highly unlikely and the other two may not be relevant to MWO at all.

That leaves only aesthetic preference.

#451 syngyne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:42 PM

View PostJeremy Hunter, on 03 July 2012 - 03:57 PM, said:

I just dislike the humanoid ones. They don't feel like they should be in MechWarrior (ok, I don't mind the Atlas or Ragnarok...) but hey, that's just me.

Wait.

You are arguing whether something fits the feel of the universe or not, and you are giving a pass to the Ragnarok?

The 'Mech that caries a Lava Cannon?

does not compute

#452 xxx WreckinBallRaj xxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:49 PM

What turns me off isn't hands but rather the large pointless spikes sticking out of the Mechs. There's no reason for them to be there but you see that sort of thing in every anime that has giant robots or Mechs. It's just wasted weight. They don't serve any purpose. Hands on your Mech however don't waste hardly anything. If the Awesome had 2 gun arms instead of 1 he still wouldn't fit 4 PPCs in his loadout.

#453 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:35 PM

View PostHANGMAN1962, on 03 July 2012 - 03:22 PM, said:

ok,ok SHAME on me for saying this but, gundamish?!!
DONT you meen gundam is too battltechish is its decades older than any gundam anime that i know of and i'm 50 yrs old ! lmao

View PostSkadi, on 03 July 2012 - 03:27 PM, said:

I Haz hands, am i a gundumb now too?
(Also i thought battletech came before any gundam, just sayin)

The BattleTech TT game was originally released as "Battledroids" in 1984.

The original Mobile Suit Gundam animated series premiered on April 07, 1979 (and a set of three compilation movies were released between March of 1981 and March of 1982).

As for the sources of the original BattleMechs' artwork:
  • The Super Dimension Fortress Macross animated series premiered on October 03, 1982 (with the film, The Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Do You Remember Love?, being released on July 07, 1984).
  • The first of the Crusher Joe novels was published in November of 1977.
  • Fang of the Sun Dougram premiered on October 23, 1981.
For which 'Mechs came from each franchise, please see the Sarna.net article on the "Unseen".

Edited by Strum Wealh, 03 July 2012 - 05:47 PM.

#454 TrenchToast

Rookie

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:38 PM

Posted Image
This is what hands are for.....

#455 Skadi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts
  • LocationUtgarde Pinnacle

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:40 PM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 03 July 2012 - 05:35 PM, said:

The BattleTech TT game was originally released as "Battledroids" in 1984.

The original Mobile Suit Gundam animated series premiered on April 07, 1972 (and a set of three compilation movies were released between March of 1981 and March of 1982).

As for the sources of the original BattleMechs' artwork:
  • The Super Dimension Fortress Macross animated series premiered on October 03, 1982 (with the film, The Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Do You Remember Love?, being released on July 07, 1984).
  • The first of the Crusher Joe novels was published in November of 1977.
  • Fang of the Sun Dougram premiered on October 23, 1981.
For which 'Mechs came from each franchise, please see the Sarna.net article on the "Unseen".

i well know what the unseen are, trust me :P also thanks for the correction on that one.

#456 Skyefox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationNorthern California, Terra

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:42 PM

DIdn't they have to change it from BattleDroids because the term "droids" is the property of Lucasfilm?

#457 Popgun

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 86 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:48 PM

Gundam premiered in '79 if you want to get all technical. And yeah, Lucas went after them legally. Personally I love the look the designers of this game settled on. While the original artwork is nostalgically lovable for its blockiness it's also something that's going to only appeal to a vocal minority of sperglords.

#458 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:50 PM

View PostSkadi, on 03 July 2012 - 05:40 PM, said:

i well know what the unseen are, trust me :D also thanks for the correction on that one.

Cool. though, my post was more in response to Hangman's... :P

Also, I fixed my typo - MS Gundam premiered in 1979, not 1972. B)

#459 Fastred

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 146 posts
  • LocationMain Office Outreach

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:57 PM

View PostCoffiNail, on 27 January 2012 - 10:56 AM, said:

Unless it is the BattleMaster and it drops the autocannon and picks it back up Posted Image

But yeah! in BT you can pick up a tree with a handed mech and use it as a club! Technology is a bit more limiting then a table top game with imagination, so.

"Tree bah.... if your not beating a mech about the head and shoulders with the arm you blew off of it, then your not trying hard enough!! at the very least find good piece of structural steel to club folks with." :P

#460 Skyefox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationNorthern California, Terra

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:58 PM

View PostPopgun, on 03 July 2012 - 05:48 PM, said:

Gundam premiered in '79 if you want to get all technical. And yeah, Lucas went after them legally. Personally I love the look the designers of this game settled on. While the original artwork is nostalgically lovable for its blockiness it's also something that's going to only appeal to a vocal minority of sperglords.

It's like all the old Mech's had a midlife crisis and actually stuck with their gym membership.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users