Depressing Mech Choices

483 replies to this topic

#421 Aegis Kleais

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:05 AM

Yeah. Once a framework is in place, adding content becomes SIGNIFICANTLY easier.

I have a feeling MWO will launch with about 15 Mechs, and by the end of the year we may have about 21-22. They don't want to add content TOO quickly since I'm sure there will be a lot of balancing to do once the game goes live. (Though balancing after Beta should really help out too)

#422 John Clavell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,609 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:25 AM

More and more I think the word 'Launch' is subjective. I'd not be surprised to see Beta open with just 4 mechs to be really honest.

#423 Goldhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 379 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:10 PM

View PostCoffiNail, on 27 January 2012 - 10:56 AM, said:

Unless it is the BattleMaster and it drops the autocannon and picks it back up :rolleyes:

But yeah! in BT you can pick up a tree with a handed mech and use it as a club! Technology is a bit more limiting then a table top game with imagination, so.

Hands are excellent additions to the MWO universe. C'mon. With hands you can rip off some enemy mech's arm and beat it to death with the severed arm. With gun hands. Well, it's like you have a stub. Look at the Thor...
It looks like you have one good arm and an afflicted left arm.

I actually believe that the mechs after 3060 got uglier. It was a sad turn, but hell, its Battletech/Mechwarrior.

#424 Der Kommissar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:35 PM

This is the Battletech aesthetic, OP, and it's not going anywhere. If you think it resembles Gundam of all things, well...everyone's entitled to their opinion, even if it's wrong.

#425 Mason Ventris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 104 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:14 PM

I just hope we will get to see new mechs and by that I mean ones that haven't been featured in previous titles.

#426 John Talbert

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationWaterloo, Ontario, Canada

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:19 PM

probably why my favourite mech has always been the jagermech. i half expect oscar the grouch to pop out and tell me to **** off.

#427 Watchit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,235 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:41 PM

considering the OP still has only one post to his account, I'm thinking he's just a troll making an account and posting things to stir up arguments :rolleyes:

Edited by Watchit, 22 April 2012 - 05:42 PM.

#428 Skyefox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationNorthern California, Terra

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:40 PM

This post: made it to page 13 before had to post about hands. Here's the cool thing about them in the BT universe when it comes to your Mech.

Like hands? Put them mo fos on!

Don't like hands? Take those mo fos off!

Problem solved. They're machines. They have interchangable parts. Removing hands and putting them on isn't a big deal. Just because you've never seen a Timber Wolf with hand actuators doesn't mean it hasn't been done.

#429 Rychard Starheart

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 300 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:45 PM

.... why necro this?

#430 Skyefox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationNorthern California, Terra

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:50 PM

Mechs without hands are better because they're more practical for all situations and I think hands look like Gary Oak who has hand and who is in an anime, which reminds me of Gundam, where there are also people who have hands, and Gundams modeled after people that also have hands. So no hands=win. Backward bird legs=win. Non humanoid design=win.

OH WAIT

Edited by Skyefox, 03 July 2012 - 02:53 PM.

#431 Skadi

• 4,268 posts
  • LocationUtgarde Pinnacle

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:56 PM

View PostPaladin1, on 27 January 2012 - 11:09 AM, said:

Posted Image

Know your enemies gentlemen.

Gerwalk activated, also how dose the catapult look like a gundam o.O

Edited by Skadi, 03 July 2012 - 02:58 PM.

#432 Panther Caroso

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:07 PM

I personally still prefer the old mech design to me they seem so much more elegant and resourceful.

This is still my favorite design by far. Posted Image

Loved the MadCat

Edited by Panther Caroso, 03 July 2012 - 03:10 PM.

#433 Draslin Darkforge

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 90 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:16 PM

It's both true and unfortunate that American and Japanese styled mecha are so intertwined. I happen to like mechs with hands that serve a functional purpose (clearing brush, assisting in reganing balance and providing additional kinetic damage on melee attacks). I do think that hand-held weapons are a bit too far to the Japanese side of the spectrum to really "feel" right in an american mechwarrior game. That said, there are some Japanese designs without hands as well that absolutely do fit in the MW PC game franchise (Rifleman, Warhammer).

Hopefully there will be enough variety in chassis to choose a mech that is both viable in combat and aesthetically pleasing for many individual tastes. I think everyone will be happy if, rather than looking to disqualify a mech as viable on a choice like hands vs. no hands, people are looking for mechs that are fun to play, suit their personal style, and fit in as a cohesive part of the universe.

I HATED the atlas, until I saw the footage of the Atlas design in this game. It looks like it gets the job done, now - as opposed to being something to knock over with AC/20's.

My personal favorite mech design, though not appropriate for this timeframe, is the Thanatos. It had such clean lines and no-nonsense design that I could see it in an actual battlefield context.

#434 HANGMAN1962

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 277 posts
  • Locationnew hampshire usa

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:22 PM

ok,ok SHAME on me for saying this but, gundamish?!!
DONT you meen gundam is too battltechish is its decades older than any gundam anime that i know of and i'm 50 yrs old ! lmao

#435 Kelthar

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 75 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:26 PM

View PostZakatak, on 27 January 2012 - 11:08 AM, said:

Yes the human form certainly is. It can fight, write, dance, run, jump. But a Battlemech needs to do only 2 of those things. A Battlemech does not need to know how to draw, color, and write. It justs needs to move, fight and take punishment. There are plenty of species in nature that can do that better then we can.

Think of a an Ostrich. Fast, hardy, and dangerous. That is a good template.

Doood, you're going to break the hearts of all those waiting for the annual BattleMech line dancing competition.

Seriously though, why limit the mechs by what you need for this game. They were indeed more than that. Supreme weapons of war, yet. But the handed mechs could also help dug victims out from the rubble of the battle. In general, hands are useful. I don't really care what they remind anyone else of. The earlier literature had pilots doing shoulder rolls to evade damage and a controlled slide.

I called the waaaaambulance for you, but they need an address. With all due respect, of course.

#436 Skadi

• 4,268 posts
  • LocationUtgarde Pinnacle

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:27 PM

I Haz hands, am i a gundumb now too?
(Also i thought battletech came before any gundam, just sayin)

Edited by Skadi, 03 July 2012 - 03:28 PM.

#437 England Christifori

• PipPip
  • Cadet
  • 30 posts
  • LocationStratford

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:27 PM

View PostRychard Starheart, on 03 July 2012 - 02:45 PM, said:

.... why necro this?

My thoughts exactly...

#438 Mark of Caine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 496 posts
  • LocationWazan War Veteran

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:28 PM

The Warhammer and the Warhammer IIC will always be my favorite design in the BT universe. I do hope it makes it into this game.

#439 Giverous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • LocationBrighton, UK

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:36 PM

View PostZakatak, on 27 January 2012 - 11:08 AM, said:

Yes the human form certainly is. It can fight, write, dance, run, jump. But a Battlemech needs to do only 2 of those things. A Battlemech does not need to know how to draw, color, and write. It justs needs to move, fight and take punishment. There are plenty of species in nature that can do that better then we can.

Think of a an Ostrich. Fast, hardy, and dangerous. That is a good template.

An ostrich? Son, you just went full ******.

#440 Nikohki

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 74 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:38 PM

View PostOmigir, on 27 January 2012 - 10:58 AM, said:

they should not have called it the wasp and just called it a Valkyrie.

and they should have replaced both its hands with cannons to make it less 'anime mecha' too. we all know hands=mecha. : \

really? i mean really?

Or how about this:
Posted Image

Lets all freak out now! the wasp is a LAM!

WANT!

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users