R.I.P. Demonoid

90 replies to this topic

#1 Lightdragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts
  • Locationwisconsin

Posted 12 August 2012 - 03:52 PM

let us all take a moment to silently mourn the loss of a popular distribution site taken down by facist government institutions cutting off service and violating the owners rights without due process
http://www.pcmag.com...,2408369,00.asp

Edited by Lightdragon, 12 August 2012 - 03:53 PM.

#2 LogicalTightRope

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 146 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, USA

Posted 12 August 2012 - 03:57 PM

Was Demonoid not a sight that hosted vast amounts of illegal music and other software torrent downloads? It should be taken down in that case. Can't have people getting what they won't pay for.

Edited by LogicalTightRope, 12 August 2012 - 03:57 PM.

#3 Viper69

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,204 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:13 PM

Demonoid was one of the worst perpetrators of copyright violations it wasnt funny. Next to napster in its free day that is. No offense op but you get no sympathies from me for the loss of the pirate hub that was demonoid.

#4 Lightdragon

• 1,212 posts
  • Locationwisconsin

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:16 PM

spoken like a true ignorant jackass what torrent sites did was allowed you to download the stuff for free yes... but for many of the responsible users it was a try before you buy, nobody wants to pay for an entire cd album full of music they dont like if most of it sucks or how about this... you pay 60 bucks for a game thats incomplete (im looking at you blizzard) and find out that the game is absolutely terrible.. guess what you cant return games and ask for your money back. sites liek these prevent you from making that mistake if the game or music sucks guess what, those companies dont deserve your money, stick that in your pipe and smoke it

#5 BentLent98

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:18 PM

View PostLightdragon, on 12 August 2012 - 04:16 PM, said:

spoken like a true ignorant jackass what torrent sites did was allowed you to download the stuff for free yes... but for many of the responsible users it was a try before you buy, nobody wants to pay for an entire cd album full of music they dont like if most of it sucks or how about this... you pay 60 bucks for a game thats incomplete (im looking at you blizzard) and find out that the game is absolutely terrible.. guess what you cant return games and ask for your money back. sites liek these prevent you from making that mistake if the game or music sucks guess what, those companies dont deserve your money, stick that in your pipe and smoke it

Ever heard of demos?

#6 Viper69

• 4,204 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:19 PM

Im an ignorant jackass? Try before you buy my ***, dont even lie to me and tell me folks downloaded pirated software to test, once they liked it they then went and bought it? Yeah right, go sell your load of BS to someone else.

Also you spent $30 on a game you didnt get to play in MWO. Or was it not available on demonoid?

Edited by Viper69, 12 August 2012 - 04:22 PM.

#7 Jiri Starrider

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • LocationCalafia, Caid (San Diego, CA)

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:22 PM

Oh sweet sweet youthful ignorance, so full of entitlement. Where would this world be without you? Oh yeah, colonizing the solar system in flying cars by now...

Funny, no likes for the OP, guess you will be mourning it silently, and alone.

#8 Vulpesveritas

• 3,003 posts
  • LocationWinsconsin, USA

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:22 PM

View PostBentLent98, on 12 August 2012 - 04:18 PM, said:

Ever heard of demos?

I haven't seen one for 98% of games in the last 5 years.

In any case, often times in my experience, the only place to find patches for old games on windows 7 are on torrent sites. Namely in my favorite games collection; Activision's "Machines" circa 1999. Hard as hell to find that patch.

#9 LogicalTightRope

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 146 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:30 PM

"spoken like a true ignorant jackass" <--one of the most applicable uses of a person's line against them.

Try before you buy = illegal, unless the producing company allows it. Unless you try your friend's copy or something, that's fine; but using it as a demo is no excuse for illegal downloads. Plus, YouTube has songs and gameplay videos (yeah, videos aren't the same, but the alternative - torrenting - is still illegal).

View PostVulpesveritas, on 12 August 2012 - 04:22 PM, said:

In any case, often times in my experience, the only place to find patches for old games on windows 7 are on torrent sites. Namely in my favorite games collection; Activision's "Machines" circa 1999. Hard as hell to find that patch.

I agree that's a shame. It'd be convenient of those patches would be spread into other sites or areas of the internet. Sorry, but that's not an excuse for allowing all of the copyright infringement that goes on on these sites.

Edited by LogicalTightRope, 12 August 2012 - 04:31 PM.

#10 Demoned

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 670 posts
  • Locationi Died went to heaven, then died again now I'm in Equestria

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:30 PM

i have to agree here, i watch much anime on the interwebs and, most times i'll download full seasons at a time and those that tend to stay on my hard drive are the ones i end up buying in full box sets.
now back in the day here in the UK when anime was not "main stream" it was damn hard to get info on anime (back in 1992).
and i ended up buying alot of crap that wasn't worth the cells it was painted on.
but now thanks to torrents only anime that i feel is worth my money will get my money.

and i feel the same could be said for films of today's class.

#11 Lightdragon

• 1,212 posts
  • Locationwisconsin

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:31 PM

torrent sites are about hte only place you can find abandoned software and tv shows anymore... and as for all the haters telling me demos are for that... **** off demos never actually show you the game all they do is give you some **** poor level that has nothing to do with the games story and a few crappy features... and by the way every ******* game ive bought in the last 8 years ahs been torrented or p2p'd beforei went out and purchased it.. chew on that for a bit and also what should be illegal is selling you a bad product that youre not allowed to return and get your money back for

Edited by Lightdragon, 12 August 2012 - 04:33 PM.

#12 Mr T

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 146 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:35 PM

View PostLogicalTightRope, on 12 August 2012 - 04:30 PM, said:

Try before you buy = illegal, unless the producing company allows it. Unless you try your friend's copy or something, that's fine, but using it as a demo is no excuse for illegal downloads. Plus, YouTube has songs and gameplay videos (yeah, videos aren't the same, but the alternative - torrenting - is still illegal).

Hey, did you know being a black literate man was once against the law in some places in this country? Would you of told them there was no excuse because it was against the law?

Just because someone with more power or in this case, money (RIAA/MPAA), told you something was wrong, doesn't automatically make it wrong. It just means that some people can pay enough of the right people to put you in jail for something they don't like you doing.

#13 Star Knight

• Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach, VA

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:35 PM

View PostViper69, on 12 August 2012 - 04:19 PM, said:

Im an ignorant jackass? Try before you buy my ***, dont even lie to me and tell me folks downloaded pirated software to test, once they liked it they then went and bought it? Yeah right, go sell your load of BS to someone else.

Also you spent $30 on a game you didnt get to play in MWO. Or was it not available on demonoid?

Not that I agree with the OP, but I did, I usually used it because my old PC was a fickle triple core. I used demonoid to download Fallout 3 for example and then bought a copy with christmas money...what confused me was, the pirated copy worked fine but the legal copy wouldn't. Never did understand that. Regardless, I have done that, and do still on occasion. I also use it to get games no longer produced by the companies (though I did find a place that makes me pause and check first, Good Old gaming (gog.com) that is selling digital copies of the old games from my childhood.

#14 Viper69

• 4,204 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:36 PM

Swearing adds so much to an already intellectual discussion.

#15 LogicalTightRope

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 146 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:36 PM

View PostLightdragon, on 12 August 2012 - 04:31 PM, said:

torrent sites are about hte only place you can find abandoned software and tv shows anymore... and as for all the haters telling me demos are for that... **** off demos never actually show you the game all they do is give you some **** poor level that has nothing to do with the games story and a few crappy features... and by the way every ******* game ive bought in the last 8 years ahs been torrented or p2p'd beforei went out and purchased it.. chew on that for a bit and also what should be illegal is selling you a bad product that youre not allowed to return and get your money back for

It doesn't matter what you think should be legal. All that matters is what's legal. Abandoned software and tv shows, sure, that's ok, but they should really be put elsewhere, because torrent sites are filled with illegal content.

Also, it doesn't matter how good or bad the demo is. What's illegal is illegal, and it's your job to make the decision on whether the game is worth buying. If you have any doubts, it's as simply as not buying the game.

#16 Mick Mars

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 165 posts
  • LocationSavannah, GA area

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:37 PM

Yes, those evil, horrible artists, producers and companies wanting to make money off of their product, shame on them! Everything should be available for free dammit! Now let's go occupy someone's house and call it ours!

Edited by Mick Mars, 12 August 2012 - 04:40 PM.

#17 Vulpesveritas

• 3,003 posts
  • LocationWinsconsin, USA

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:38 PM

View PostLogicalTightRope, on 12 August 2012 - 04:30 PM, said:

I agree that's a shame. It'd be convenient of those patches would be spread into other sites or areas of the internet. Sorry, but that's not an excuse for allowing all of the copyright infringement that goes on on these sites.

That it is. But for whatever reason, I find that 99% of patch sites seem to die after 2-5 years of being up.
I would <3 for someone to start a legal site for patches for old games and such. Seriously, someone needs to get one up. Then have a sales website for all the ancient games and old movies and such, give me all TV series included with my internet without my needing a TV, and I'll be happy to see illegal sites go poof.

Until then, let them sit as archives of the past... and the rest of things have people fined for.

Edited by Vulpesveritas, 12 August 2012 - 04:40 PM.

#18 BentLent98

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

View PostLightdragon, on 12 August 2012 - 04:31 PM, said:

UMADBRO? Seriously, no need to be mad... Demos do show you what games do, and if one doesn't, take that up with the game company, and for the returning thing, TRADE IT IN, sure you get like 9 dollars for it, but at least you still get money for it. But you shouldn't get mad, now get out of here you pirate.

#19 LogicalTightRope

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 146 posts

View PostMr T, on 12 August 2012 - 04:35 PM, said:

Hey, did you know being a black literate man was once against the law in some places in this country? Would you of told them there was no excuse because it was against the law?

Just because someone with more power or in this case, money (RIAA/MPAA), told you something was wrong, doesn't automatically make it wrong. It just means that some people can pay enough of the right people to put you in jail for something they don't like you doing.

Well, it is wrong to use someone else's copyrighted creation without their consent. If they don't want you to use it unless you pay, and they created it, they have the right to use it. Plus, it's not profitable for the companies and therefore is killing the PC game market. That's why you see things like Diablo 3 where you have to log on online to play singleplayer. Ridiculous things like that are direct results of prominent illegal downloads.

#20 Viper69

• 4,204 posts

View PostStar Knight, on 12 August 2012 - 04:35 PM, said:

Not that I agree with the OP, but I did, I usually used it because my old PC was a fickle triple core. I used demonoid to download Fallout 3 for example and then bought a copy with christmas money...what confused me was, the pirated copy worked fine but the legal copy wouldn't. Never did understand that. Regardless, I have done that, and do still on occasion. I also use it to get games no longer produced by the companies (though I did find a place that makes me pause and check first, Good Old gaming (gog.com) that is selling digital copies of the old games from my childhood.

I would say you were a minority. You know why i say that? Because the site would not have been shut down if more than half the people actually purchased what they "demo". End of story.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users