TrackIR Support

98 replies to this topic

#21 LordKelvin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:33 PM

I must bump this and add my support to it. I would absolutely LOVE to be able to do this if we're going to be viewing the game through first person view in the cockpit.

Just imagine it: use your joystick to control your 'Mech, look around to keep track of the battlefield situation, look down at your controls, use your mouse to flip the switches instead of pressing the keys...

#22 Zaptruder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 716 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:52 PM

Dear devs,

We know you're trying to make the game that you want to play. And the game that you want to play is a Virtual Reality simulator of mechs that we've all dreamt of for the last 3 decades, since the dawn of Battletech.

It's something that they tried to make a reality with the Virtual World centres...

But with modern technology, you can achieve a superior effect with TrackIR...

a soon to be released Sony HMZ-T1 and some joystick controls.

With full 1:1 tracking of vision and head motion - it would be like you were inside a Mech yourself. That's what you want. That's what we all want here.

#23 CeeKay Boques

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:23 AM

View Postmashed, on 01 November 2011 - 11:07 AM, said:

Another vote for Trackir. Any virtual cockpit benefits from it immensely.

#24 Knightcrawler

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:55 AM

+1!

#25 JarheadEd

• PipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 99 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:32 PM

+1 for me. Track iR support is a big selling point for me. Please incorporate it.

#26 Kumakichi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,337 posts
  • LocationYoyodyne Propulsion Factory

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:38 PM

I've never tried TrackIR but I've seen vids of it being used. Its interesting no doubt.

#27 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 02 November 2011 - 04:04 PM

Yes, please include Track IR support. I see no reason why it wouldn't have it. It's the first step towards our own rudimentary neurohelmet. :)

(well, I'm embellishing but you get the idea)

Edited by Mr_Blastman, 02 November 2011 - 04:05 PM.

#28 OnLashoc

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,093 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationColumbus, OH

Posted 02 November 2011 - 05:33 PM

If they do include it I am going to go buy me whatever the hell that guy was using :)

#29 Sky Ferrix

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 137 posts
  • LocationNorth Augusta, SC

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:13 PM

Bump! I'd love to see this implemented into the game.

#30 Vey

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 05:28 PM

Another vote for TrackIR. Would be amazing in MechWarrior Online.

Edited by Vey, 04 November 2011 - 05:28 PM.

#31 CGB IceNinja

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:49 PM

The question should be..."Will TrackIR give players an advantage over none TrackIR users?"
I do like tracking and the feel it gives to a game , but hope it doesn`t tip the balance in favor of TrackIR users.

#32 Nav

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 258 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 05 November 2011 - 10:31 PM

View Post=cgb=iceninja, on 04 November 2011 - 08:49 PM, said:

The question should be..."Will TrackIR give players an advantage over none TrackIR users?"
I do like tracking and the feel it gives to a game , but hope it doesn`t tip the balance in favor of TrackIR users.

I think that just because a controller could possibly provide an advantage, should NOT be a reason to limit the functionality and realism of a long awaited title such as this.

You could apply the same methodology to joysticks for example, and force everyone to play with keyboard and mouse, just so no one is advantaged.

My thoughts are that those who don't have one should easily be able to justify saving up and buying one in order to experience a more realistic and immersive mech simulation.

This is what we all want after all, isn't it?

#33 charov

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationLondon - UK

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:12 AM

I was just thinking about opening a thread on the Track IR, glad I'm not the only one who would love to play with it!

I'm a huge fan of flight simulators (from Il2 sturmovik to DCS: Black Shark 2), I own a HOTAS + pedals (all by CH Products) and the Track IR so I was pretty exited when a have read this FAQ:

Q. Will MechWarrior have support for custom mapping joysticks/other input devices? (multiple device support?)

A. We have partnered with some of the industry’s biggest hardware manufacturers and will be do

I have played Mercenaries with mouse for torso, throttle for speed and pedals for legs. I even found some way to use the Track IR with it, but with poor results.

View Post=cgb=iceninja, on 04 November 2011 - 08:49 PM, said:

Nope, it won't. You can still view around with a hat switch, keyboard, or just turning your torso. The Track IR would help you, but mainly it will incredibly boost the immersion.

#34 Splash

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • LocationBC

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:31 AM

+1

#35 Mchawkeye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:58 AM

Track IR is great. I would love to see it implemented

But, Microsoft are releasing Kinect for the PC, which (theoretically) will do more than just track your head movements. We could interact with our virtual cockpits....and it will probably be cheaper.

Maybe.

Just a thought.

#36 Adso

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:46 AM

+1

Would love to see this. Perfect application for a mech sim.

#37 TheRulesLawyer

• 1,415 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted 09 December 2011 - 12:32 PM

I'd love to see it in and I don't even own one (yet).

#38 Ghoullees

• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:37 PM

Oh yeah, add my vote to this.

Have used TrackIR for years now on any game that will include it. The DCS flight sim series ( with full interactable cockpits I might ad, just to tie into the 'should cockpit view be default view questionnaire ) is really only playable with a TrackIR. While MWO needs to be more accessible than this for a large audience, it can still be implemented to do what would normally be done with another round of keyboard hotkeys.

A good example is actually by using the Hunchback Cockpit shown in the Media section.

It is easy to hotkey a 'look down' to see the dashboard, or a 'look left' or 'look right' key to view the side view TV screens as displayed in the image. But a TrackIR just makes a game so more immersive when you are achieving this through natural movement. Even the DiRT dirving game was so much more fun by just being able to look sideways in a drift around a corner. Without it, you would be glued to the default view, and not able to play the game to the best of your personal skills and ability.

Natural Point is also good at including gaming profiles to updates and I don't think it is too demanding to do so. They have supported so many games now that there are already a bunch of profiles that could work 'out of the box'

Edited by Ghoullees, 09 December 2011 - 08:38 PM.

#39 Ratu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 214 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 09 December 2011 - 09:30 PM

Please add this if its at all possible, it would make looking around your cockpit far easier in combat.

#40 Reggimus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 341 posts
  • LocationQueenstown, New Zealand

Posted 09 December 2011 - 10:49 PM

View PostLordKelvin, on 01 November 2011 - 09:33 PM, said:

I must bump this and add my support to it. I would absolutely LOVE to be able to do this if we're going to be viewing the game through first person view in the cockpit.

Just imagine it: use your joystick to control your 'Mech, look around to keep track of the battlefield situation, look down at your controls, use your mouse to flip the switches instead of pressing the keys...

Touch screen to flip the switches instead of pressing keys....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users