Dev Blog 3 - Role Warfare

Official

214 replies to this topic

#21 CPTAmerica

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationTEXAS

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:23 AM

So, if I am understanding the level up process correctly, in order to level up my Mechwarrior, I need to be true to my mech chasis first. It makes sense to me and stays true to the Battletech universe. Very rarely due mechwarriors change mechs chasis in the canon. The most I have ever read a particular warrior being checked out on was something like 6. Most only like 2, maybe 3 if they could afford the training time and had access to a spare mech. <laughs at self> Spare mech...yeah right.

#22 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:23 AM

I like how this seems to play out...

The character continues to advance as long as they keep doing their Role thing, but that expert Level 80 Scout can still have a bad day when piloting a different 'Mech type as he hasn't had time to get used to its abilities and make it his own yet.

What I'm wondering is ... will the "chassis-specific" XP be for just the one BattleMech (Locust serial number XAB-540982A only), or the whole type (all Locusts)?

#23 John Clavell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,609 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:24 AM

My question is. So you've invested a lot of time and C-Bills into your character. What happens when you don't want to always be the commander or the scout, are you forcing long term roles onto a single character? Are you going to allow pilots to re-train, or stack or multi-role, or will you be advocating players have multi-accounts?

#24 TheRulesLawyer

• 1,415 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:24 AM

View PostBlackfang, on 01 February 2012 - 10:20 AM, said:

The only issue i see with that is, forking out the c-bills for repairs, ammo, upkeep and the like, which could make swapping between various mechs extremely expensive for the players C-bill bank balance.

We really have no idea how the economics are going to work, but I doubt having a mech sitting in a garage is going to cost you anything.

#25 Frantic Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • 714 posts
  • LocationMiami, FL

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:25 AM

I love it! Keep up the good work! Can't wait until the next one!

#26 Nik Van Rhijn

• 2,905 posts
  • LocationLost

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:26 AM

This is fine for established groups playing together, not so sure how it works with regard to PUG's, especially with people that don't have a lot of free time. The Rules Lawyer has raised some interesting points. Maybe we'll have to have a stable of mechs for the different roles and be prepared to chop and change depending on what roles are available. Which raises the question of how expensive mechs are and what sort of C-bills we can earn.

#27 Barantor

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:32 AM

Very interesting and somewhat how I hoped it would work! Very happy indeed!

#28 MaddMaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:33 AM

And how the XP, C-Bill bonuses will be divided up between playing via Contracts and Quick match game types?

It appears that Contract Matches will have Bonus Bonuses. :P

#29 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:33 AM

View PostCPTAmerica, on 01 February 2012 - 10:23 AM, said:

Very rarely due mechwarriors change mechs chasis in the canon. The most I have ever read a particular warrior being checked out on was something like 6. Most only like 2, maybe 3 if they could afford the training time and had access to a spare mech. <laughs at self> Spare mech...yeah right.

My son, Grayson Death Carlyle, started with no 'Mech at all, then captured himself a Locust. Then he grabbed a Shadow Hawk, and later upgraded to a Marauder. He ended his career in a Victor. That was over many years in a long and illustrious career though. Some MechWarriors just inherit the family 'Mech and pilot that for their whole career if they're lucky.

#30 DragonClaw

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:34 AM

this is going tobe awesome. no other game i've seen has this depth of play.

#31 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:38 AM

LOL the little dude on the left in the pictures looks like he's giving the finger :P

Posted Image

#32 GrimJim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationPottery Barn, $120 richer than my fellow Founders

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:42 AM

Not to be too obtuse, but what about those poor souls who like a little-muti role action?

Commander Wednesday, feelin' Scout-ish on Thursday...

Also "Chasis loyalty?" Part of the charm of the original games was trying them all out -- Longbow love for sniping, feel like going to the races with a Flea the next.

Edited by GrimJim, 01 February 2012 - 10:46 AM.

#33 Atlas3060

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 661 posts
  • LocationFederated Suns

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:44 AM

So the longer you are with a specific 'Mech the better you will be both as a pilot and as the pilot of that 'Mech.
This does call back to the Battletech Universe where people spent nearly their entire lives in a specific 'Mech or weight class.

I'm excited about this!

View PostGrimJim, on 01 February 2012 - 10:42 AM, said:

Not to be too obtuse, but what about those poor souls who like a little-muti role action?

I don't think they're writing that off. You'll probably be able to do that but not get as much compared to someone who specializes; sort of a Jack of all trades master of none deal.

Edited by Atlas3060, 01 February 2012 - 10:45 AM.

#34 Sajuuk

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMiami,FL

View PostTheRulesLawyer, on 01 February 2012 - 10:16 AM, said:

Okay. So a little more detailed- It looks like you will have to level many different mechs in order to level your pilot. Pilot points are only generated at branches. The more branches, the more pilot points. Since mechs will have a limited number of branches, that means you'll be in a whole lot of them. Also it might mean its quicker to level your pilot by playing a whole lot of mechs shallowly since typically you level much faster early in trees.

"Each branch under the BattleMech's Tech Tree represents attributes that fall into the Role Categories described earlier on."

We can assume that we will have a limit to the number of points we can allocate to our avatar. Unless its unlimited, there'd be no point in leveling 30 separate mechs. Also with 3 trees in each mech, if you REALLY want all the points you can get in all three trees all youll need is 3 mechs. And thats only if its capped per mech.

What im wondering is if the Varient, or the Chasis is limited by role.

#35 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

View PostGrimJim, on 01 February 2012 - 10:42 AM, said:

I don't think they'll be taking away your commander modules when you decide to want to earn some scout modules. Plus you could always create a separate pilot if you wanted I'm assuming.

#36 Omigir

Can I have a hug? :(

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:47 AM

Who let Paul draw the stuff!?

#37 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:50 AM

The modules are likely Mech-specific. If you put them in your Raven, you can't take them out and put them in your Panther. You would have to buy a new set of modules.

The skills you take with you though.

#38 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:56 AM

View PostOmigir, on 01 February 2012 - 10:47 AM, said:

Who let Paul draw the stuff!?

Wow... good eye. :P

#39 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:59 AM

better question Capper is why does it look like the guys left arm is a pen15?

#40 Dihm

• 3,312 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:01 AM

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 01 February 2012 - 10:38 AM, said:

LOL the little dude on the left in the pictures looks like he's giving the finger :P

Posted Image

Paul seems to have joined the "LOSE THE HANDS!" crowd, yet forgotten to give it a cape and laser sword. Worst mech redesign yet!!

Edited by Dihm, 01 February 2012 - 11:02 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users