Official

214 replies to this topic

#41 Kaemon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts
  • LocationMN

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:05 AM

Wunderbar!

If they do it right, you should always feel about 1 pilot skill/module away from owning the battlefield (in regards to your play style).

that 'just out of reach' will be critical for balance and keeping the specialized roles meaningful, which equates to people actually playing them and not just min/maxing assaults.

Still need more info on XP disbursement, but we've got a few wednesdays to go.

Edited by Kaemon, 01 February 2012 - 11:06 AM.

#42 MilitantMonk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:12 AM

This is good stuff! Looking forward to the discussion this will bring.

#43 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:12 AM

View PostDihm, on 01 February 2012 - 11:01 AM, said:

Paul seems to have joined the "LOSE THE HANDS!" crowd, yet forgotten to give it a cape and laser sword. Worst mech redesign yet!!

Whatever Deehim. :P

#44 tyrranus

Rookie

• 7 posts
  • LocationWest Central Florida

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:22 AM

This is pure win

#45 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:23 AM

So, I think Russ and Bryan and the rest of the creative minds behind PGI/MWO must have been reading my dreams over the past few years when ever I had my BTMMO dreams.

#46 Kenyon Burguess

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:32 AM

interesting...gonna really need to scan those trees over to see the benefits of taking a light over a medium for scouting. also a med vrs heavy for defense. now im not sure which role i want. also what if you dont get to start in the mech of your choice? is all that experience you earned wasted till you get the one you want?

#47 BlueDog

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:34 AM

Thanks guys, great info on role warfare, that answers a lot of questions I had about 'Mech XP. Looking forward to the rest of this month's Wednesdays, especially the "Awesome" Wednesday, hehe.

#48 Azmodan

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:34 AM

perfect. from what we;ve seen so far (very high level design) looks a lot like WoT. which is good!

how hard will it be to research all the mechwarrior skill points in all the trees?

Edited by Azmodan, 01 February 2012 - 11:41 AM.

#49 whiskey tango foxtrot

• Survivor
  • 1,075 posts
  • LocationWith the Wolfs

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:38 AM

Wow.......you people nailed it.

#50 Spawl

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 91 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:44 AM

I read some where before that if u arent taking the role of a commander seriously/helping ur team to a victory u wont be awarded the XP, sure u might get some PUG comanders that are usless but i think they will step up or change role ones the see they dont get any XP.

#51 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:48 AM

Where's my cash shop EXP bonus and premium at?! >_>

#52 Uriel Madox

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Canada

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:55 AM

I only stumbled across this site yesterday but must say I'm really impressed with 1. the frequency of details and 2. quality of the details.

I really love the idea of the roles system and when it is properly implemented, which it sounds like it will be, is what attracts me to multiplayer games. The commander role brings back memories of BF2 :P.

The only concern I would have is how do you go about enforcing/encouraging the roles in a match? I mean have all scouts or all commanders etc. would kind of defeat the purpose.Though I suppose if the players were talented enough they could pull it off it would potentially effect balancing. Perhaps have players choose their role when joining a lobby/game sort of like a hockey game, This way each team will have each roles filled and if implemented in a lobby a player can switch to an alternate mech/class to properly prepare(no Atlas scout mechs selected by mistake for example).

#53 TheRulesLawyer

• 1,415 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:03 PM

View Postsajuuk, on 01 February 2012 - 10:44 AM, said:

"Each branch under the BattleMech's Tech Tree represents attributes that fall into the Role Categories described earlier on."

We can assume that we will have a limit to the number of points we can allocate to our avatar. Unless its unlimited, there'd be no point in leveling 30 separate mechs. Also with 3 trees in each mech, if you REALLY want all the points you can get in all three trees all youll need is 3 mechs. And thats only if its capped per mech.

What im wondering is if the Varient, or the Chasis is limited by role.

Sure there will be a limit, but I doubt you'll reach it by maxing out one mech. They say you'll only get pilot points at certain branches in the mech tree. That means you'll give mech skill quicker than pilot skills (or at least points). You'd have to have a substantially shorter pilot tree to have them line up. Plus it would be bad for longevity for you to max you character on one mech. You'll only ever have one pilot. In theory you'd be expect to go through a number of mechs. Especially as they release more over time.

The thing I'd be more curious about is if you can eventually max all the pilot trees or if you can only have a portion of the skills?

#54 Dranon

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:11 PM

I'm wandering how are we going to chose a mech? is it going to like world of tanks where yoiu start out with a light mech and work your way up or what?

#55 Odin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 498 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:19 PM

Oh, now we got something to chew on!
Never thought, I ever see a Mechwarrior game - during this single live - sporting a complexity of old school strategy games. The choice is yours, the player - we are in charge of everything - the MWO experience will be up to our play stile completely! Who can ask for more?! Awesome.

... last Mech in use, stores all the goodies?

So we need more of the same chassis, if we die, and want to play in the "same" Mech??
Ok, I know my question I gonna ask already.

#56 Grotonomus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 367 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMorningside, Pandora OA, Tamar March, Lyran Space, Federated Commonwealth

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:22 PM

BOOOOM!!!!!!

#57 GargoyleKDR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 404 posts
  • LocationBlaine, WA

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:23 PM

View PostTheRulesLawyer, on 01 February 2012 - 12:03 PM, said:

The thing I'd be more curious about is if you can eventually max all the pilot trees or if you can only have a portion of the skills?

If it is limited to having a portion of the skills then the player solution becomes multiple accounts.

I'm curious about the balancing of earning pilot points along a mech's Tech Tree. If a player can earn 2 PP in one mech with a known value of XP, is that comparable to the XP required to earn 1 PP each in 2 mechs? What about 4 PP or 8 PP? Is there a point of diminishing returns that pushes a player into multiple mechs in order to earn the most amount of PP?

#58 ravion hawk

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:24 PM

I guess I missed something here...

I thought this was a FPS/Simulator which requires our own reflexes.

Are we piloting the mechs like Mechwarrior 1, 2, 3, and 4, or are we commanding them like Cresent Hawk's Revenge, Mechcommander, and Mechcommander 2?

I can see some of this working for an RTS like CHR, MC, and MC 2. But if this is a FPS/Simulator like the Mechwarrior series this just makes a mess and ruins the point of a simulator.

Besides, the way this system has been explained, it is already used in either Heavy Gear or Earthsiege/Starsiege/Missionforce Cyberstorm.

#59 Visionofthegods

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:27 PM

We've come a long way from the days of grabbing the biggest weapon and shooting it at the nearest enemy. I am truly excited that all mechs from 20 to 100 tons should prove useful and needed on the battlefield.

#60 CplFCMagni

Rookie

• 3 posts
  • LocationTerra, in the near of Cologne Germany

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:48 PM

wow so many information ... gameplay sounds great ... but I have to train my english :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users