Dev Blog 4 - Role Warfare (Cont.)

Official

218 replies to this topic

#1 InnerSphereNews

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:00 AM

Let’s dive right into some details! Everything listed here is more of a guideline to demonstrate the concepts. The final list of efficiencies and modules are still being examined.

Experience Points (XP)

XP is a cumulative point system used to unlock BattleMech Efficiencies by performing in game actions correctly. All earned XP is divided by a percentage between General XP and BattleMech Chassis XP.
General XP can be spent on any BattleMech efficiency, while BattleMech Chassis XP can only be earned on the current active player BattleMech.
Examples of XP Actions:
  • • Destroying an enemy unit.
  • • Detecting an enemy unit.
  • • Assisting a friendly unit.
  • • Disabling an enemy unit.
  • • Accomplishing a command order.
BattleMech Efficiencies

This is the basic layout of the tree for any of the ’Mechs or variants that we launch with (or when we initially introduce the base model and chassis of any brand new ’Mech). Players need to spend XP to unlock all of the upgrades on each tier in order to be able to access the next tier. The jump jet related upgrades on tier 4 would be removed for any ’Mech that doesn’t have jump jets. In order to access Elite I, the player needs to not only unlock all upgrades on tiers 1-4 of this model, but they have to do the same for every initial variant. After they access and spend XP to unlock Elite I, tier 5 is then accessible for all initial variants. Elite II is accessed in a manner similar to Elite I. The player must have unlocked tier 8 on each of the initial variants.
Posted Image
Pilot Skills

Each BattleMech chassis has a set number of slots available for modules. Players can fit whichever modules they want or deem necessary for their upcoming matches. The number of applied modules cannot exceed the available slots on a BattleMech and each module is unique in that multiples of the same module cannot be used.
The Cost of Modules

A Module is unlocked by gaining efficiencies in a particular BattleMech’s Mech-XP Tree. When a single Tier for a given chassis is complete, the player earns 1 Player Point. Once a Module on the Pilot Skill Tree has been unlocked it produces modules. These modules are purchased as an item from the Store using C-Bills. If the player wishes to use the same module across multiple BattleMechs, they will have to purchase one for each.
Scout Role Skills:
  • • Radar Range Increase – Increases radar range by 2% up to 5 times
  • • Ghost Signature – Increases length of time before a signal fades by 2% up to 3 times
  • • Vision Mode 1 - Zoom Vision – Allows the pilot to zoom 7x
  • • HUD Detail 1 – Enemy Damage Level – LOD detail in terms of damage
  • • HUD Detail 2 – Enemy Component State – Overall component criticality
  • • Null Signature System – Allows the pilot to appear shut down for 5 seconds
  • • Multi-Targeting – Allows the pilot to target multiple enemies up to 4 at a time.
  • • IDF Accuracy – Narrows the AOE of IDF fire.
  • • Critical Shot Indicator – Shares with nearby friendly BattleMechs the critical components of an enemy BattleMech
Assault/Defense Skills:
  • • Charging – A special attack that allows the pilot to drive their BattleMech into an enemy BattleMech without sustaining too much damage
  • • Vision Mode 2 – Night Vision – Allows the player to see in dark areas/night
  • • Vision Mode 3 – Thermal – Allows the pilot to see heat signatures through solid objects
  • • Vision Mode 4 – Magnetometer – Allows the pilot to see metal through solid objects
  • • DFA Damage Reduction – Reduces the amount of damage caused by performing a Death From Above attack
  • • Power Up/Power Down Speed Increase – The power up and power down sequences are sped up by 20%
  • • AMS Range Increase – Increases the effective range of AMS by 2% up to 5 times
  • • Cognizance – Automatically lets the pilot know of any nearby friendly BattleMech taking fire
  • • Critical Shot Receiver – Allows the pilot to receive the critical shot information from nearby scout Mechs
Commander Skills:
  • • Order View – Allows the pilot to right click and request friendly BattleMechs to attack or defend areas/objectives on the BattleGrid
  • • Command View – Provides a layer of information over the BattleGrid including objectives and any intelligence information passed back by scout Mechs on the front line
  • • Call Air Strike – Calls in an air strike that does AOE damage in a straight line
  • • Call Artillery – Calls in a land based artillery bombardment on to a target area
  • • Call Naval Bombardment – Calls in Naval artillery bombardment that has a larger and more powerful result than regular artillery
  • • Call UAV – Calls a UAV that passes overhead of the battlefield and relays ALL enemy positions to the command pilot
  • • Call Predator Drone – Drops a heavy explosive device on a targeted area
  • • Call Satellite Sweep – Full detail information is passed to the command pilot including enemy location/direction/speed
  • • Danger Close – A short range radar detection system that lets the command pilot know of any nearby enemy BattleMechs
Posted Image
All of this is subject to change, but we wanted you all to see what we have currently. Percentages may shift, abilities will be added or removed, however this is the layout we are currently working with.

#2 Marauder3D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 744 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:01 AM

Yay! As in FIRST!

As in my first FIRST ever.

As in, that made my Friday morning.

:D

Edited by Marauder3D, 03 February 2012 - 11:02 AM.

#3 Fiachdubh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • LocationSkulking out along the Periphery somewhere.

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:02 AM

Wohoo!!

#4 Blackfire1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,462 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:03 AM

:D

#5 Ghost

Com Guard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:03 AM

"Charging" ... ! I can't wait to mess with people.

#6 BarHaid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,069 posts
  • LocationMid-Cascadia

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:06 AM

Charging! Hells Yeah!!

D to the F to the A!!!

Edited by BarHaid, 03 February 2012 - 11:08 AM.

#7 Willis Kabrinski

• Pip
  • Mercenary
  • 17 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:06 AM

So, our front line mechs can see in the dark, through buildings, and have thermals, and the scouts have magnifying glasses?

Seems kind of backwards.

inb4 troll: I am aware there just guidelines.

#8 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:07 AM

Hey, this is very nice! AND right on time. ;) This reminds me of how you upgrade you class in Tribes Ascend, which I really liked, it works in a great way in regards to 'Mechs.

Thanks for the extra time for this part 2 of the blog. Paul you did a great job at those diagrams too!

SOO looking forward to his game!!! Have I said that before? Oh... I have... well I feel it will escalate in appearance as it nears Summer!

As I have also said.

MechWarrior Online, Game of the Year? Damn right! Let us revive MechWarrior and BattleTech to their rightful places in the gaming universe before Micro$oft had their hand in it. :D

#9 m0nk33

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationOuter Sphere; Cerebus Province; Rushaven

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:07 AM

WOOT!!! DFA!!!

Wow, scouts are gonna need a lot of points.

Edited by m0nk33, 03 February 2012 - 11:11 AM.

#10 ScrewCityChris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • LocationMadison, WI

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:10 AM

All these details make me very exited.

#11 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:11 AM

View PostCoffiNail, on 03 February 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

Thanks for the extra time for this part 2 of the blog. Paul you did a great job at those diagrams too!

*cough* Dave B *cough*

Dave did the first one.. I did the second.. Bryan takes the credit. :D

Edited by Paul Inouye, 03 February 2012 - 11:12 AM.

#12 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:14 AM

View PostWillis Kerensky, on 03 February 2012 - 11:06 AM, said:

So, our front line mechs can see in the dark, through buildings, and have thermals, and the scouts have magnifying glasses?

Seems kind of backwards.

Neg that sounds about right. Sure your Scout could see through buildings, but to see through the building would require one to be fairly close... which the Scout does not really always want to do. But crouching behind a hoverbus parked in a panther, with a heavy zoom, watching the enemy mechs walk down the cross street 5 blocks down and now due to your eyes and sensors you know what they have, what they are, how many.

Plus take it from me, I play light 'Mechs a lot in MWLL, I love the speed... even though I lead a Assault Cluster... go figure.. Though I do like a few Heavy 'Mechs... But I digress there I would love every scout mech to have zoom, enhanced imaging, what ever a good large zoom in. Gives you better accuracy by slowing down your aiming ability, and a smaller target movement zone which is needed running fast and firing from a bit of a distance. Heck even up close it can mean the difference of your small laser doing all of the damage on the right torso and not a slash across the LT, CT and RT. WHICH is also why you do not want it on the front line heavy mechs. It can allow them to do greater damage due to accuracy.

Look at most modern FPS, they allow you to zoom in on your sights. Well that is what zooming still does in a MW game, just feels a little different. Most good players zoom in as soon as they see another guy, your going to loose if you just run around popping off shots.

#13 Halfinax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:16 AM

On top of the excitement of others, and the general opinion that some of the initial skills for scout and assualt/defense seem backwards (I understand this is all subject to change and is just an example), I can't help but wonder what "Variants" are? Is that variants like we see in the TROs? If so awesome, and what does that mean for weapon customization?

#14 Fiachdubh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • LocationSkulking out along the Periphery somewhere.

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:17 AM

There you go getting us all excited again with your lovely skills and HUD details only to leave us to a long and painful comedown as ye go off for more 'play testing'..

Some of those command features look eerily familiar..

EDIT: Would of also taught that the scouts would have all the fancy view modes but also makes sense for attacker/defenders to have them.

Edited by Fiachdubh, 03 February 2012 - 11:19 AM.

#15 Barantor

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:17 AM

Loving it and showed it to some friends that enjoy tanks and they feel it is much more detailed and 'rpg-ish'. Good work!

#16 Lazares Spender

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:18 AM

Sweetness! I like.

#17 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:19 AM

I don't recall you mentioning how Role Skill Points are earned...

Edit: Are "Role Skill Points" synonymous with "Pilot Skill Points?"
I posted this in the Q&A, but I really think it's too simple for that..

Edited by Prosperity Park, 03 February 2012 - 01:40 PM.

#18 Hartsblade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 772 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:20 AM

View PostWillis Kerensky, on 03 February 2012 - 11:06 AM, said:

Seems kind of backwards.

If I've been reading things right you can use modules from any of the SKills in your 'mech, so you could have a scout with zoom, thermal and mag vision modules as long as you have enough slots.

#19 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:22 AM

View PostHartsblade, on 03 February 2012 - 11:20 AM, said:

If I've been reading things right you can use modules from any of the SKills in your 'mech, so you could have a scout with zoom, thermal and mag vision modules as long as you have enough slots.

Yes forgot about that part. Thanks for reminding us about it Hartsblade.

#20 MaddMaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:22 AM

Unlocked Modules are not Mech transferable but can be bought for other Mechs as needed. I like it. ;)

Now I will spend all weekend (except for the BIG GAME) thinking up Skills and then flood the Forum Monday am baby.

"TacOps! I have visual on a Lance walking straight down Main St., all stupidville like. Call in the Rain sir! Call in the Rain!"

OMG! baby, omg! :D

Edited by MaddMaxx, 03 February 2012 - 11:27 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users