• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,756 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • YouTube: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:51 AM

Q: will there be industrial mechs converted to war? [Banekane]
A: Sadly, no. If/when we add the UrbanMech does that count? [Garth]

Q: How often can we expect new chassis and maps to be released, during open beta and "going live"? [TrashcanDan]
A: We plan to release a minimum of one new BattleMech design + variants per month. Our goal is to produce 2 a month post launch. Maps take much longer to develope, around 3 months. We expect to release maps on a regular cadence starting in late October. If you averaged it out, probably 6 maps + variants per year. Currently we are working on alternate versions of the 4 announced maps and two new maps, desert and something unannounced. [BRYAN]

Q: Are there plans to (eventually) allow the Ultra AC-5 to change fire-rates between the "standard" (1x) ROF and the "Ultra-mode" (2x) ROF via a player toggle? [Strum Wealh]
A: We have a plan in place for it that is similar to what you've said, but slightly different. Expect experienced pilots to run into less problems with it than newer ones :) [Garth]

Q: Have you guys had thoughts of having different throttles? [ALackOfLife]
A: Yes, we do have plans for different styles. Can't speak to what exactly they are, however. [Garth]

Q: Will a premium account be needed to form a merc corps or lance? [Buckminster]
A: Absolutely not. [Garth]

Q: when will u guys be announcing the date of when open beta starts cause summer is almost over and school starts soon and id like to play this soon [Spartans]
A: I think you can count on a pretty big deal being made :) [Garth]

Q: in all seriousness, have you put the creation of new mechs on hold? [Riin Suul]
A: Not at all, however we did take time out of our schedule to harden (a game dev term). We spent a few weeks revamping skins, animations, and fixed a lot of bugs ahead of our Open Beta date. In the queue are the Raven and Cicada, both nearing completion. The Cataphract is now in early stages of modeling and texturing. [BRYAN]

Q: Can you confirm that for fun the devs get in groups, drop against each other in nothing but special mech variants with all ballistics slot, load up a ton of machine guns and run around laughing? [Veliah Truard]
A: We make some pretty crazy variants. All flamers, all machine guns, XL engines for Atlas races, pretty much anything you can think of. The all-Flamer build was pretty hilarious - and lead to the creation of the very first all SRM-6 Catapult. So to sum up - yes, and it is a hell of a lot of fun. [Garth]

Q: Are acceleration and torso twist rates unique to each mech chassis? Example: If I mod a Centurion to travel at 5/8, will it take the same time to get to top speed as a Trebuchet? For that matter, how about a stock Centurion vs. a Catapult? Will the lighter mech accelerate faster? [BarHaid]
A: Each 'Mech is unique, though some react in similar ways. The Hunchback and Centurion both have identical weight/speed ratios, but feel very different when piloted. Generally larger engines in smaller 'Mechs excellerate faster. So you'll go 0-60 almost immediately in a Jenner, but take awhile in a Catapult. [Garth]

Q: How or why do you choose what mechs to add? [Bluetavius]
A: We look at loadouts, speed, tonnage, looks, everything. We try to hit as many different areas as possible, while also including well known Mechs. Our modus operendi is to cover as many playstyles as possible. [Garth]

Q: I doubt this can be answered, but in the reveal trailer you show a Warhammer, Jenner, and an Atlas. The Jenner and Atlas have been announced but not the Warhammer. [Saber Avalon]
A: To be clear, that video was for another planned Mech game set in 3025 - essentially MechWarrior 5. This game is MechWarrior Online, and thus has little to do with the earlier planning, other than they are both set in the BattleTech universe. [Garth]

Q: Do you plan on have Quads in the near future or is it a long time off? [Skylarr]
A: At this point - no. The reason being that we would need to make entirely new (and widely considered the most difficult) animations for them. Also, they require entirely different pathing due to being much wider and longer of 'foot'. So basically, a lot of work for less gain than a bi-pedal 'Mech. That said, I do like them, and hope that at a later date we have the time and resources to add at least a couple. [Garth]

Q: How much time do you plan on investing torward damage models? Example if the right torso is blown out on a hunchback will this be visable or do we have to take our eyes off the battlefield to look at our hud to get an idea? [PropagandaWar]
A: Most things are really obvious - some Mechs, due to shape, can make it a little tough to tell if it's missing an arm, or if it's missing a torso side and an arm (IE. The Dragon), though with others it's very obvious (the Centurion.) So we put a lot of work into it, and 95% of the time you can glance at an enemy Mech and see most of the major damage. [Garth]

Q: Atlai or Atlases? Which Devs in the Devsphere like which better? [Mason West]
A: I follow Atlai, though I can't speak for everyone else. I imagine it's a pretty even spread. [Garth]

Q: Where is BattleMech 16? [Everyone]
A: It’s done. Marketing asked us to save it for something super special. [BRYAN]

Thanks for your questions everyone, and we'll do this again soon!

Cheers,
The MechWarrior Online Team

#2 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:54 AM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 27 August 2012 - 09:51 AM, said:

A: It’s done. Marketing asked us to save it for something super special. [BRYAN]

BattleMech 16 = Mad Cat
Cheers,
The MechWarrior Online Team

#3 Grinner

• PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:58 AM

Excellent ask the devs, full of good info.

#4 ManDaisy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationKing Of Flower Beds

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:58 AM

Well looks like the side step/crouch debate is gonna be alive and well for some time to come...

#5 Greyrook

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:59 AM

I feel like this was much more informative than the last two, and it answered a ton of questions I've been wondering about. Thanks a lot!

Edited by Greyrook, 27 August 2012 - 10:00 AM.

#6 acealpha1027

• PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationHagerstown ,MD

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:00 AM

WHAT ABOUT VOICE SERVERS!!!

#7 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:07 AM

Great Ask The Devs, this is what we were trying to tell you! +1 internets to you, Garth

#8 Saber Avalon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 362 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:19 AM

Q: I doubt this can be answered, but in the reveal trailer you show a Warhammer, Jenner, and an Atlas. The Jenner and Atlas have been announced but not the Warhammer. [Saber Avalon]
A: To be clear, that video was for another planned Mech game set in 3025 - essentially MechWarrior 5. This game is MechWarrior Online, and thus has little to do with the earlier planning, other than they are both set in the BattleTech universe. [Garth]

That was part of my lead up, but you didn't answer my question :)

View PostSaber Avalon, on 20 August 2012 - 08:59 AM, said:

Can we get word on the "unseen" if they are going to be in the game as "reseen" or if you are attempting to get them in the game?

Also, if that video is for another game, then why is it still up on this site? That's very misleading and seeing the Warhammer is what made me instantly slam down the money for a Legendary Founders pack. That could be seen as false advertising.

#9 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:25 AM

Q: will there be industrial mechs converted to war? [Banekane]
A: Sadly, no. If/when we add the UrbanMech does that count? [Garth]

You TEASE.

Q: How often can we expect new chassis and maps to be released, during open beta and "going live"? [TrashcanDan]
A: We plan to release a minimum of one new BattleMech design + variants per month. Our goal is to produce 2 a month post launch. Maps take much longer to develop, around 3 months. We expect to release maps on a regular cadence starting in late October. If you averaged it out, probably 6 maps + variants per year. Currently we are working on alternate versions of the 4 announced maps and two new maps, desert and something unannounced. [BRYAN]

Hmm. Alternate map versions...I'm hoping for night/poor weather options.

Q: in all seriousness, have you put the creation of new mechs on hold? [Riin Suul]
A: Not at all, however we did take time out of our schedule to harden (a game dev term). We spent a few weeks revamping skins, animations, and fixed a lot of bugs ahead of our Open Beta date. In the queue are the Raven and Cicada, both nearing completion. The Cataphract is now in early stages of modeling and texturing. [BRYAN]

Squee! This smells like the proper birth of electronic warfare, TAG and NARC and ECM and such.

Q: Do you plan on have Quads in the near future or is it a long time off? [Skylarr]
A: At this point - no. The reason being that we would need to make entirely new (and widely considered the most difficult) animations for them. Also, they require entirely different pathing due to being much wider and longer of 'foot'. So basically, a lot of work for less gain than a bi-pedal 'Mech. That said, I do like them, and hope that at a later date we have the time and resources to add at least a couple. [Garth]

The more I see of this game, the more having quads appeals to me. Especially the Scorpion. Low, ground-hugger designs with strange movement vs. bipeds? Oh, please.

Q: Atlai or Atlases? Which Devs in the Devsphere like which better? [Mason West]
A: I follow Atlai, though I can't speak for everyone else. I imagine it's a pretty even spread. [Garth]

They Are Pleased.

OK, Fan Ninjas. Infiltrate Marketing!

#10 Gendou

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:25 AM

Oh dear. I guarantee Skadi and Mason are going to run with this.
Expect to see 'Garth Approved' quotes in their sigs from here on out. Posted Image

Marketing! NOOO!!
Loosen the reins!

#11 Stray Ion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:37 AM

Q: How or why do you choose what mechs to add? [Bluetavius]
A: We look at loadouts, speed, tonnage, looks, everything. We try to hit as many different areas as possible, while also including well known Mechs. Our modus operendi is to cover as many playstyles as possible. [Garth]

I want a Shadow Cat in accordance with prophecy!

#12 Gendou

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:39 AM

Posted Image

#13 Nash

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 658 posts
  • LocationGermany, Freiburg

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:39 AM

Thank you for these great answers Garth. I think you helped us to settle some speculations and open questions. thx :)

#14 Banekane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • Locationohio usa

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:08 AM

well my hopes of running around in a Mining mech with high powered mining lasers are dashed :P not to mention the bright yellow and Black bumble bee paint scheme most industrial mechs have but i can say is with that answer we know Urbie is thought of or in descussion to be on its way into the game :)

Edited by Banekane, 27 August 2012 - 11:12 AM.

#15 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:59 AM

A: It’s done. Marketing asked us to save it for something super special.[BRYAN]

Labor Day weekend is "super special", isn't it? :)

Edited by Solis Obscuri, 27 August 2012 - 12:02 PM.

#16 Steven Dixon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 621 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:02 PM

Actually that was a pretty good Q&A. I think it's pretty interesting about Mech 16. What could be the special something that they are going to release. I commented in another post that they would probably have to start designing clan mechs right about now to have them ready by March or so of next month.

So their actually is a pretty decent chance that Mech 16 is a Mad Cat/Timberwolf. I think that they are going to save up several clan mech concepts and then a little closer to the clan invasion do some promos for the clans including showing the new clan mechs.

Another possibility is that Mech16 is one of the 'unseen', but I don't think that it's too likely. They have deliberately avoided commenting on the unseen after the teaser trailer takedown. Before that they said that their weren't issues with the unseen anymore but obviously their are still issues. Their evasiveness is likely due to the fact that either they aren't allowed to comment on the unseen (i.e. HG contacted them and said shut up) or they are hoping to work something out later and don't want to get people's hopes up or muddy the waters. Obviously their are a million other possibilities as well, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

#17 Atlai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,439 posts
  • Locationfrom the East of the South end of the North

Posted 27 August 2012 - 01:07 PM

View PostGendou, on 27 August 2012 - 10:25 AM, said:

Oh dear. I guarantee Skadi and Mason are going to run with this.
Expect to see 'Garth Approved' quotes in their sigs from here on out. Posted Image

Already doing this(wanted to read the comments first) however i think Skadi is going to run with his G.I. Joe thing :)

Edited by Mason West, 27 August 2012 - 01:07 PM.

#18 Wonderful Greg

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 01:25 PM

Please tell me that with introducing Raven to the game, you introduce electronic warfare as well. Otherwise Raven is pointless.

#19 Banekane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • Locationohio usa

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:15 PM

View PostWonderful Greg, on 27 August 2012 - 01:25 PM, said:

Please tell me that with introducing Raven to the game, you introduce electronic warfare as well. Otherwise Raven is pointless.

EMP bursts ?? well thats not with the timeline is it?

#20 pesco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:55 PM

Cyclops.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users