Unseen/reseen: Aye Or Nay?

408 replies to this topic

Poll: Unseen, Reseen or nope? (1175 member(s) have cast votes)

Should PGI add the Reseen/Unseen?

1. I accept nothing but the original Unseen. (115 votes [9.79%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.79%

2. Voted I prefer the Unseen, but if it isn't possible to add them, I will accept the Reseen. (645 votes [54.89%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 54.89%

3. I prefer the Reseen. (140 votes [11.91%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.91%

4. I don't care if the Reseen/Unseen will be added. (179 votes [15.23%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.23%

5. I prefer PGI to bring a whole new design of these mechs (not Unseen, not Reseen). (96 votes [8.17%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.17%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#221 Tarman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:25 AM

View PostSuskis, on 16 January 2013 - 03:46 PM, said:

Some people do not realize what Unseen are.
I started playing in 1986. In my 1st match I played a Marauder.
People like me would PAY REAL CASH to pilot a Marauder! This is the point.
Whatever time and efforts it would take to have Unseen in the game. it will be repaid, a lot more than spending same time and effort to bring some other less "epic" mech (like the Cataphract, to name a decent, but not special one).
That's why unless they really fear legal problems again, they MUST do it!

and, btw: we need the Banshee-S asap

FASA blew absolute wads of cash over this dealio to the point that it was a huge waste of money, even though they WON the cases. Harmony Gold is just not worth the effort; I think they hang onto the stuff for pure spite. Too much hassle, far too much. I REALLY REALLY would love Unseen forever but I'd rather have a game that doesn't blow all its dev cash on a decade in court.

#222 William T Riker

• PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:49 AM

I would pay double MC for a Phoenix Hawk or Marauder. Cut a deal with HG! Give them a splice of the pie and we're all happy.

#223 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:56 AM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 13 January 2013 - 10:08 PM, said:

Given that the Unseen designs were stolen designs copied from other sources, WANTING them is useless.

If they included them the studios that hold the IPs for the ones they were stolen from will sue PGI and PGI KNOWS this

here you go; a list of the battletech mechs and what they were taken from

http://brianscache.com/unseen/

I mean its not even SUBTLE, its as direct a rip as it could be

They weren't "stolen". The artist that licensed them gave exclusive rights to both Harmony Gold and FASA. Both companies fought a legal battle and though FASA won the first, they could not afford to continue the fight.

#224 Mordino

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 72 posts
  • LocationEU/RF

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

Unseen are lame, mostly. Reseen ftw.

#225 Topsytervy

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 39 posts
  • Locationphx

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:27 PM

the fist time i saw the unseen was back when the game was called Droids. the warhammer is my beloved mech of all time. and sence the unseen are vastly different machines, sharing only the skin of their counterparts, i see no reason why they should be excluded. a redesign of the unseen would be welcome but it will have to be a good redesign. a redesign that is differnent but pays homage to the unseen origans. most if not all redesigns are morphed so badly its nothing more than a ugly design with the same load out. it can be done. and i dont see any other mecha games from other companies out there. i say if they dont use it they lose it.

#226 DirePhoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,565 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:42 AM

View PostTopsytervy, on 23 January 2013 - 09:27 PM, said:

the fist time i saw the unseen was back when the game was called Droids. the warhammer is my beloved mech of all time. and sence the unseen are vastly different machines, sharing only the skin of their counterparts, i see no reason why they should be excluded. a redesign of the unseen would be welcome but it will have to be a good redesign. a redesign that is differnent but pays homage to the unseen origans. most if not all redesigns are morphed so badly its nothing more than a ugly design with the same load out. it can be done. and i dont see any other mecha games from other companies out there. i say if they dont use it they lose it.

I have yet to see any of the redesigns PGI has put in place on the 'mechs they've included in MWO so far that I don't think are an improvement from the original (and yes, all of them have been redesigned for MWO). They're more than capable of doing a good job on this.

#227 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:50 AM

Let this thread die already

#228 Deathz Jester

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,107 posts
  • LocationOH, USA

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:50 AM

View PostOdanan, on 28 August 2012 - 05:21 AM, said:

Many members here don't know what are the Unseen and the Reseen. Let's clear it out.

Unseen: are mech designs (drawings) from the very beginning of the Battletech, taken from anime mechas (like Macross/Robotech). They were removed from the Battletech after several legal problems. EDIT: actually, the designs weren't taken from the animes, but bought before they were even used in the animes.

Reseen: are new drawings for those mechs, for using of Battletech. They don't have any legal issue but depart a little from the original designs.

The problem is: PGI/IGP should not use the Unseen because of the concrete risk of a law suit that would jeopardize the entire MWO project (the using of the Unseen Warhammer was one of the reasons for MW5 being canceled).

So, what do you want? Are you OK with PGI to add the Reseen designs? Or you will accept nothing but the old & gold Unseen?

EDIT: Now here is some usefull information. Thanks empath for puting lights on this.

apparently this got necro'd or something, but actually wheres the poll option for "Redesign of the Unseen/Reseen"

I've tried to tell users before that they have their own art style and notice that alot of the mechs while they remain true to the original style somewhat they are substantially "cooler" looking. For example compare the old art of the Centurion to PGI's art for the Centurion.

#229 Frostiken

• 1,156 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:01 AM

I don't care, as long as I never have to see that ****-awful excuse of a weeaboo abortion called the Marauder.

#230 DirePhoenix

• 1,565 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:17 AM

View PostImperius, on 24 January 2013 - 01:50 AM, said:

Let this thread die already

I'll let this thread die (and others like it) when there's no reason to keep them going. When MWO and other properties in the Battletech franchise make the Unseen no longer Unseen.

#231 Sandslice

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:31 AM

View PostDirePhoenix, on 24 January 2013 - 08:17 AM, said:

I'll let this thread die (and others like it) when there's no reason to keep them going. When MWO and other properties in the Battletech franchise make the Unseen no longer Unseen.

I'm one step removed from having direct experience dealing with Japanese licencing - the person who sits behind me at work is part of the team that does this, among other things. From his descriptions, even if there's not big money involved, it's a pain in the rear torso just from the legal issues.

It's probably why the Dougram-sourced 'Mechs went back to being unseen in '09 after it was thought that they'd been recovered.

#232 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,204 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:39 AM

Added a new option in the pool for those interested only in the mechs variants/stats, not in the looks.

Of course, making totally new designs will make some nostalgic people unhappy, though PGI could never be sued for using its own designs.

#233 DirePhoenix

• 1,565 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:46 AM

View PostSandslice, on 24 January 2013 - 08:31 AM, said:

I'm one step removed from having direct experience dealing with Japanese licencing - the person who sits behind me at work is part of the team that does this, among other things. From his descriptions, even if there's not big money involved, it's a pain in the rear torso just from the legal issues.

It's probably why the Dougram-sourced 'Mechs went back to being unseen in '09 after it was thought that they'd been recovered.

What I meant in making the "Unseen no longer Unseen" is to bring back the mechs in any form, just bring them back. Reseen, Re-designed, whatever (anything that appears in MWO has to be re-designed anyway). Only the artwork is in contention, not the names or the stats, or even the lore. If using the original art is too troublesome, make new artwork. We have a huge gaping hole where these 'mechs are supposed to be because people are too fear-locked to make a move. If someone doesn't make the first step, then this situation will never be resolved.

And just for the record, I hate the stick-legged, spindly-armed, huge-cockpitted Re-Seen Marauder as much as any sensible person, but even if they bring that version back, it's better than having no Marauder at all.

#234 Mazgazine1

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 368 posts
  • LocationLondon, Ontario

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:48 AM

I support adding mechs to the game!

#235 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:53 AM

View PostOdanan, on 24 January 2013 - 08:39 AM, said:

Added a new option in the pool for those interested only in the mechs variants/stats, not in the looks.

Of course, making totally new designs will make some nostalgic people unhappy, though PGI could never be sued for using its own designs.

i was on board when the ReSeen were being rolled out. The QQ was legendary as the art was not what we grew up with. I think the MMO Art team will do a good job if they went into making the Unseen for this game, Look what they did for the JagerMech for crying outloud!

#236 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,204 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:07 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 24 January 2013 - 09:53 AM, said:

i was on board when the ReSeen were being rolled out. The QQ was legendary as the art was not what we grew up with. I think the MMO Art team will do a good job if they went into making the Unseen for this game, Look what they did for the JagerMech for crying outloud!

Heck, the Cicada is sexy!
And the Stalker is a mech you could be proud of! (though I would prefer the original human legs)

#237 Viper69

• 4,204 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:08 AM

I think if we do see the unseen in a reseen format they will be welcomed by all, regardless of the look as long as its function and theme is there. IE the warhammer has its two arm ppcs and SRMs, marauder has its ppcs and large laser, rifleman has its 4 large pulse lasers and so on. As long as they remotely resemble the mechs people will welcome more mechs to buy, period.

View PostOdanan, on 24 January 2013 - 10:07 AM, said:

And the Stalker is a mech you could be proud of! (though I would prefer the original human legs)

I could stand to have another 10 degrees of torso movement left and right. myself <_<

#238 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:11 AM

View PostOdanan, on 24 January 2013 - 10:07 AM, said:

Agreed on the Cicada...
What kind of legs on the original Stalker? The original art always reminded me of the 'Keep On Truckin' Cartoon.

#239 Magik0012

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:18 AM

View PostFrostiken, on 24 January 2013 - 04:01 AM, said:

I don't care, as long as I never have to see that ****-awful excuse of a weeaboo abortion called the Marauder.

BURN THE NON-BELIEVER!

#240 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:28 AM

View PostMagik0012, on 24 January 2013 - 10:18 AM, said:

BURN THE NON-BELIEVER!

QFT

To Hate the Marauder is to Hate Me. How can someone hate the Marauder? People can hate me for my own flaws (there are none, I'm just sayin') but the Marauder? That is unconcionable.

Edited by verybad, 24 January 2013 - 10:29 AM.

12 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users