Unseen/reseen: Aye Or Nay?

408 replies to this topic

Poll: Unseen, Reseen or nope? (1175 member(s) have cast votes)

Should PGI add the Reseen/Unseen?

1. I accept nothing but the original Unseen. (115 votes [9.79%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.79%

2. Voted I prefer the Unseen, but if it isn't possible to add them, I will accept the Reseen. (645 votes [54.89%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 54.89%

3. I prefer the Reseen. (140 votes [11.91%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.91%

4. I don't care if the Reseen/Unseen will be added. (179 votes [15.23%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.23%

5. I prefer PGI to bring a whole new design of these mechs (not Unseen, not Reseen). (96 votes [8.17%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.17%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#241 Deathz Jester

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,107 posts
  • LocationOH, USA

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

Lol I'm the 5th vote for "I prefer PGI to bring a whole new design of these mechs (not Unseen, not Reseen)."

#242 DirePhoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,565 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:02 PM

View PostIron Harlequin, on 24 January 2013 - 11:32 AM, said:

Lol I'm the 5th vote for "I prefer PGI to bring a whole new design of these mechs (not Unseen, not Reseen)."

The poll was changed to include that option only 4.5 hours ago.

#243 Lyoto Machida

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:24 PM

View PostIron Harlequin, on 24 January 2013 - 11:32 AM, said:

Woohoo! I'm #7!

#244 Tice Daurus

• 2,001 posts
  • LocationOak Forest, IL

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

Ok for the people going:

"OMG! I would pay double MC to pay for a Phoenix Hawk or a Maruder..."

You do realize that PGI or IGP wouldn't see a DIME of that extra money you are spending on for the older UNSEEN designs? All of that money you would be paying extra for would all go to Harmony Gold. How in your right minds could you advocate giving money to the company that nearly destroyed the Battletech/Mechwarrior franchise and put FASA out of business? HOW?

I met Jordan Weisman and a couple of the guys in FASA as their offices were in Chicago, and I live nearby. When I heard they were going out of business, I drove there to their offices to get the official word. They were closing up shop. People who were working there were crying because they had lost their jobs. It was sickening to see that. And I wanted to become a game designer/writer for FASA.

Harmony Gold can bite my @$$. There is no way I want them to make a stinkin' dime off of this. I hope they never make a deal like this. NEVER. Let them redo the art from the Reseens if they want to or design NEW ART for the Unseens that are nothing like the originals so they can't be sued. And personally I would love to hear the DEV's legal team reply on this so this issue can be put to bed forever.

NOW...the ONLY way I would be ok with the Unseens coming back is if Harmony Gold goes bankrupt and PGI or whomever is running the works and upholding the Battletech/Mechwarrior franchise and buys back the rights for pennies on the dollar of what they are actually worth, and then the rights are given to PGI so they can then use the Unseens. THAT is the only way I would be ok with the Unseens coming back here.

Let Harmony Gold choke on their own greed and die off. SLOWLY.

P.S. - I changed my vote for entirely new art from PGI.

Edited by Tice Daurus, 24 January 2013 - 01:30 PM.

#245 xX_Nero_Xx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 649 posts
  • LocationDallas,Texas

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

maurader is one of the best playable mechs but i want a battlemaster riffleman and warhammer

#246 SociopathicSquirrel

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Canada

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

I don't care, really. Both can be in, for all I know.

I just care with more Mechs, more Dakkas, more stuff.

#247 Tice Daurus

• 2,001 posts
  • LocationOak Forest, IL

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

View PostSociopathicSquirrel, on 24 January 2013 - 01:28 PM, said:

I don't care, really. Both can be in, for all I know.

I just care with more Mechs, more Dakkas, more stuff.

Ummm, if they could decide this issue and announce it, PGI could have well over 12+ new mechs with new designs. More mechs, more dakka.

#248 Pendraco

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 469 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

While nothing would make me happier than to stride across a modern battlefield in one of the iconic battlemechs from my youth (Unseen). I have long since made peace with the fact that it will never happen. I am thankful for what we have.

Now if by some small miracle PGI decides to tackle these beasts, I would really prefer them to be based off the originals. I am not a fan of the "Re-seen" designs. I love what PGI has done with our existing stable of 'Mechs and I think they could come up with appropriate designs.

I would rather have PGI redesign the unseen from the ground up than have to pay Harmony Gold a single cent for licensing. (wow, it actually kinda hurt to say that, but it's true)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Pendraco, 24 January 2013 - 02:25 PM.

#249 Sadistic Savior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:53 PM

Unseen is never going to happen in any Battletech product. We just have to accept that. It has been decades now...for whatever reason, the people who own the rights (Harmony isnt it?) do not want to share them.

I have no doubt they would be implemented immediately if it were legally possible. The so-called "reseen" is better than nothing.

(also, all the Macross versions look stupid and cartoony, and I have always hated them...it annoys me to no end that they control the rights to these designs)

Edited by Sadistic Savior, 24 January 2013 - 02:54 PM.

#250 Merky Merc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 871 posts
  • LocationRidin down the street in my 6-4

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:19 PM

I just want the shadowhawk in w/e skin so we can have a decent 55 ton mech. The only other IS options are kind of bad hardpoint wise, the clans have some decent ones, and then it's like 7 years until the Bushwacker and Uziel and all dems. That last bit gives me a sad.

#251 Celesteel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 127 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:50 PM

I voted for prefer the unseen but will accept reseen. However if there was another voting option of prefer the unseen but will accept PGI redesign, I would have voted for that. Basically, just give me my Battlemaster (and maybe the warhammer, crusader, etc) and I will be happier than a clam :(

#252 Redmond Spiderhammer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:00 PM

View PostPendraco, on 24 January 2013 - 02:13 PM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I guess I just never understood why the battlemaster had a hand to hold its giant gun... and the wolverine... whats with the briefcase? You aren't allowed to bring that gun to the 'mech office ya know...

at any rate I'm all for redesigns. They have done a great job so far. Some of the mechs that looked lame in the original art look pretty cool now. My limited understanding of IP laws is that the work needs to be different by about 20% to avoid infringement, It seems like they should be able to capture the themes of those mechs well while steering clear of legal trouble.

#253 Dran

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 200 posts
  • LocationSydney Australia.

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:12 PM

The warhammer to me seems like the easiest to modify and get away with it. Remove the TV on the shoulder, move the missile bay to the upper left torso ext. Could be cause I am biased and just want to pilot a warhammer however...

#254 Sandslice

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

The Wolverine's gun is also hand-held, as is that of the Griffin; it's the way those mecha worked in Dougram. The humanoid CB armours (as opposed to the quad "gunners" ) were built that way so that their handheld guns could be swapped out for mission requirements.

#255 BadgerWI

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 126 posts
  • LocationNorthern Continent, Second Try, Chaos March, Federated Commonwealth

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

I just wish Mom and Dad would stop fighting and give me my toys back...

#256 Epicentr

• Pip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:18 PM

Two words:

Stone

Rhino

#257 Sandslice

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:49 PM

View PostBadgerWI, on 24 January 2013 - 07:24 PM, said:

I just wish Mom and Dad would stop fighting and give me my toys back...

Actually, in this case, it's Mom fighting the guy in the van, who insists that he has a paper saying that he gets to decide who plays with the toys, even though they really belong to a Japanese mechanic. ^_^

#258 Mathmatics

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 275 posts
  • LocationDetroit

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:44 PM

This is out there but perhaps PGI could but the unseen in game in a way where there is no possible monatary exchange for them. Maybe give them out to accounts that have been active for x ammount of time or somthing that has nothing to do with spending real money.

#259 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:54 PM

View PostDran, on 24 January 2013 - 07:12 PM, said:

The warhammer to me seems like the easiest to modify and get away with it. Remove the TV on the shoulder, move the missile bay to the upper left torso ext. Could be cause I am biased and just want to pilot a warhammer however...

like this?

Posted Image

#260 Dran

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 200 posts
  • LocationSydney Australia.

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:56 PM

like anything, just want my warhammer lol

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users