Melee Combat

205 replies to this topic

Poll: Melee Combat (349 member(s) have cast votes)

If MechWarrior Online adds melee combat, which physical attach would you most likely use the most?

1. Punch (87 votes [24.93%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 24.93%

2. Kick (65 votes [18.62%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.62%

3. Stomp (18 votes [5.16%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.16%

4. Voted Melee Weapon (152 votes [43.55%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 43.55%

5. Grasp/Throw Enemy (13 votes [3.72%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.72%

6. Weapon Pod (7 votes [2.01%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.01%

7. Grasp/Throw Object (7 votes [2.01%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.01%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 xdaikatanax

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:43 PM

Well, I've been a loooooong time fan, and I'd die happy if someone finally included melee combat in a MechWarrior game. Those fists/hatchets/etc on those 'mechs aren't just for show, and can really do some damage in the board game (try kicking a Jenner using an Atlas). Some of those with fully articulated hands can actually grasp things, exponentially increasing their effectiveness in the field. Even those without fully articulated hands could still bash things with weapon pods if necessary.

That having been said, what physical attack could you see using most often? Punch? Grasp? Stomp? I've put up a few, but there's likely more that I didn't think of. Also, I excluded DFA, since that's more or less already incorporated into previous games. I think a kick would be very effective, but the use of melee weapons a la Hatchetman would also be great.

Edited by xdaikatanax, 01 November 2011 - 05:45 PM.

#2 armitage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 396 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:49 PM

Ya I would love to see at least punches and kicks, maybe even charging. But itf they included clubing, specifically related to the hatchetman or axeman. I would be :) :D :D :D

#3 xdaikatanax

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:52 PM

View Postarmitage, on 01 November 2011 - 05:49 PM, said:

Ya I would love to see at least punches and kicks, maybe even charging. But itf they included clubing, specifically related to the hatchetman or axeman. I would be :) :D :D :D

Amen! When I read about the Hatchetman, the thing that sticks out most in my mind is the description of it's hatchet! That thing sounded awesome.

#4 Paladin1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts
  • LocationCapellan March, Federated Suns

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:55 PM

Do I have to pick only one option? I really, really, really, REALLY want to bash a `Mech up side the head with a steel building support beam. I've seen too many pictures of pipe wielding `Mechs to not want to try that.

#5 Zerik

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 158 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:55 PM

While I normally steer away from 'Mechs that have hands and melee weapons, I would defiantly love to see some melee goodness. Bearing in mind 'Mechs are not made to trade blows hand-to-hand, so unless it has a weapon specifically designed for melee combat, like a hatchet, damage is going to be high on both ends.

#6 xdaikatanax

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:58 PM

View Postpaladin1, on 01 November 2011 - 05:55 PM, said:

Do I have to pick only one option? I really, really, really, REALLY want to bash a `Mech up side the head with a steel building support beam. I've seen too many pictures of pipe wielding `Mechs to not want to try that.

Too true! Or a downed tree trunk in a woods/swamp setting haha

#7 Paladin1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:59 PM

View PostZerik, on 01 November 2011 - 05:55 PM, said:

While I normally steer away from 'Mechs that have hands and melee weapons, I would defiantly love to see some melee goodness. Bearing in mind 'Mechs are not made to trade blows hand-to-hand, so unless it has a weapon specifically designed for melee combat, like a hatchet, damage is going to be high on both ends.

Where did you get this idea, because it runs completely counter to what canon has stated repeatedly. `Mechs are designed to perform melee attacks of all kinds. The fluff for the WSP-1A Wasp, which is one of the oldest designs in the game, made specific mention of the fact that the legs were reinforced to allow kicking and death-from-above attacks to take place.

#8 Paladin1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:00 PM

View Postxdaikatanax, on 01 November 2011 - 05:58 PM, said:

Too true! Or a downed tree trunk in a woods/swamp setting haha

I'd do that too, but a tree is going to shatter the first time you do it. Better to get something that you can reuse, just in case your first swing doesn't take your target out completely.

#9 Applejack

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 523 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:03 PM

I'd love some punching action. It'd be a definite boost to having a hand actuator on your 'Mech if you could pick up some random object and... *** forbid... THROW IT at your opponent. It just seems badass and fun to have melee combat.

Certainly would make me more of an advocate of the Assassin. Use SRM2/LRM5 to wreck building, grab I-Beam, jet over nearby building, and DFA HIM IN THE HEAD WITH IT!!! aaahhh if only...

Edited by applejack, 01 November 2011 - 06:05 PM.

#10 Kilroy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 650 posts
  • LocationUnder a rock

I would love to see punches and melee weapons used. Even most mechs without hands could at least swing their gun barrels at the enemy. Using melee in a non-melee mech should probably cause some damage to the mech throwing the punches to make it a tad more like the battletech books. I'm not sure about stomping and kicking since so many mechs would have an awkward time of pulling those off. Throwing object and mechs seems somewhat un-battletech to me but that's just my opinion.

#11 DDM Pyromancer

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

You put in a Vote Poll for Melee and leave out the Death From Above?!?!? As a Veteran Pilot I am Horribly offended LOL... DFA for the Win!!

#12 Zerik

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 158 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:22 PM

View Postpaladin1, on 01 November 2011 - 05:59 PM, said:

Where did you get this idea, because it runs completely counter to what canon has stated repeatedly. `Mechs are designed to perform melee attacks of all kinds. The fluff for the WSP-1A Wasp, which is one of the oldest designs in the game, made specific mention of the fact that the legs were reinforced to allow kicking and death-from-above attacks to take place.

Perhaps not my best choice of wording, but what has been said cannot be unsaid!
Basic physics dictates that two heavy metal object ramming into one another will result in damage to both heavy metal objects. A reinforced fist smashing into a reinforced torso naturally means both reinforced metal structures are going to take heavy damage, which is the gist of what I was attempting to state.

#13 Scurvy

• PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:36 PM

Where's the " None " option?

#14 CobraFive

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,174 posts
  • LocationAZ, USA

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:41 PM

I'd like simple punching. No karate, no gundam kung fu (Actually I am a huge gundam fan, but gundam is not mechwarrior).

Gameplay wise, a punch should be a desperation or humiliation attack. Something that isn't strictly effective and probably not used very often.

If its not included, whatever. I can see how, if done poorly, it can compromise the design. But the idea of 'mechs just laying into eachother...

Spoiler

#15 Filter Decay

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:44 PM

punch brings higher chance of head hits so i would go there.

#16 Paladin1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:45 PM

View PostZerik, on 01 November 2011 - 06:22 PM, said:

Perhaps not my best choice of wording, but what has been said cannot be unsaid!
Basic physics dictates that two heavy metal object ramming into one another will result in damage to both heavy metal objects. A reinforced fist smashing into a reinforced torso naturally means both reinforced metal structures are going to take heavy damage, which is the gist of what I was attempting to state.

Ahh, I understand what you were going for now. I understand and agree, to a degree, but I also know that an object can be sufficiently reinforced as to be practically indestructible. Given that we know that Battletech armor is better at absorbing ablative attacks than it is at absorbing kinetic attacks, I can see where physical attacks would be effective.

#17 Aeneas

• Pip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 19 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:57 PM

Melee attacks would be great, but I do agree with damage to both sides. There a dozens of accounts of mechs hitting one another only to cripple themselves, but clubbing is a great idea. One of the most iconic scenes is of Hanse Davion ripping the arm off a Marauder with his Battlemaster and beating the HECK out of every enemy mech near him.

Edited by Aeneas, 01 November 2011 - 06:59 PM.

#18 Paladin1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 07:01 PM

I've got to agree, that scene of Hanse wadding into the ComGuards/Death Commandos is legendary. Did you ever see the diorama that one of the CamoSpecs artists did of this? Absolutely epic!

#19 reinhardt steiner

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 01 November 2011 - 07:21 PM

Berserker, Hatchetman, Axman, and more derive a good amount of their offensive power from melee attacks. I hope they make it into the game.

#20 crabmeister

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 07:25 PM

View PostDDM_Pyromancer, on 01 November 2011 - 06:03 PM, said:

You put in a Vote Poll for Melee and leave out the Death From Above?!?!? As a Veteran Pilot I am Horribly offended LOL... DFA for the Win!!

This. I don't mind if there's no melee system included, simply because it's ****** complicated, but for the love of Blake, we need DFAs. An Urbanmech getting a win by jumping on an Atlas' head then TACing a Banshee is a must have.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users